PDA

View Full Version : Green Gable anyone?

kristinw
06-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I cast on Green Gable (http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/2628822) tonight and wondered if anyone wants to join me! I'm using Craft, which is from the Vickie Howell collection (http://www.soysilk.com/craft.html). It is 65% organic cotton and 35% milk fiber. It has such a nice feel and drape to it. If you look at the link, you can see the color I am using - it is Todd #767. I love that it is top down, in the round.

Anyone?

Virtuella
06-13-2007, 01:24 AM
I want to join you!

VickyS456
06-13-2007, 03:43 AM
I think I'm in too! I have noting OTN! and I've been eyeballing this one. I need to peek through my stash and see what yarn I have :) I just bought the pattern.

I've never joined a KAL before!

Angelia
06-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Oooh, I just started Green Gable last night! I'm using some hand-dyed merino. I've gotten past the yarn-overs and am about halfway to removing the sleeve stitches and knitting the body. It's a really quick knit!

RuthK
06-13-2007, 09:19 AM
This is next on my list, but I just cast on a different tank a few days ago. I'll be reading your experiences eagerly, though!

ElenTikvah
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I've been looking for a summer top to try, and I really like this one. Only concern is that I haven't knitted a garment before...do you think this one will be too complicated. Also, concerned that I need an xxL size, which isn't available... *sighs*

If anyone has any advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

~Tik

itsjustmeghan
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
hahaha. glad i looked, because i was about to start a KAL for this one! i cast on tonight with KP ShineSport in River and got about 5 rounds done. can i tell you how much i DON'T like knitting into the backward loop cast on stitches?! :wall: i had SUCH a hard time getting past the first row!!!
so i'm hoping it'll be smoother sailing now that i've gotten past that part! i've been drooling on this pattern for a while. :inlove: i hope it turns out nice! i've had issues with getting sweaters to fit lately...so i'm hoping this one will will be an easier one to figure that out with....

kristinw
06-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Yay! I'm so glad there are some others making this!!! :cheering::cheering: I was away at a meeting last night and only got a couple rows in. It definitely was interesting doing that first row after the cast on.

Meghan - I am worried about the fit too, but I think it helps that it is top down so we can try it on as we go. My measurement is 35" and I am making the small.

Tik - I think this is a pretty easy garment to make. The k1f&b might be a little tricky at first, but Amy's video is great.

Hope to see pictures soon from everyone. I'll try and take one too!

itsjustmeghan
06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
i sure hope it fits! i measure 38" so i went with the medium. i think the last pattern i made i went with the large....and i didn't try on anything until it was too late (well, too late for lazy people like me who didn't want to tear it out!)
i hope it knits up fast! i'm hoping to make a Glee and a rusted root too!

kristinw
06-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I hear you. I even swatched this time! :shock: I was so proud of myself for doing so. I got gauge the first time so I'm really hoping it will work out.

My next sweater is going to be the Eyelet Cardigan (http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4017). I actually bought that kit in that color. I like Rusted Root a lot too. I'll have to go check out Glee!

Angelia
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Elen, though it will require buying a book, I strongly suggest you get Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits. She explains exactly how to adapt patterns to fit YOU based on your measurements (I mean it's not like all women with 36" busts are shaped the same). The book also has some beautiful sweater patterns, and all are knit with raglan sleeves, just like GG.

Ooh, I love the eyelet cardigan! I saw that when I bought the GG pattern but had to resist...

I didn't use the backwards loop cast-on; I used long-tail. I couldn't get backwards loop to work. I hope using the long-tail doesn't affect the fit :help:

I think I've knit the lacy portion incorrectly or something; it's all wonky and looks nothing like the sweater on the pattern pic. Anyone else having that problem?

kristinw
06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I know a lot of people said that the lace was a bit wonky until it was blocked. You are much further along then me but I'll try and take a picture tomorrow morning.

itsjustmeghan
06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
okay, the eyelet sweater is now on my list too! we'll just move over and start a new knit along when we finish our gables! hahaha

as for the backwards look cast on? i almost did exactly what you did, angelia, and tore it off for a long-tail cast on! i don't think it'll effect it. i think they did it for the look along the edge. i've also heard of a lot of people who had issues with the lace rolling, so blocking is the key!

i'm going to get that fitted knits book. i keep seeing cute sweaters made out of there! and i read through my "knitting without tears" book again hoping it would help with getting sweaters to fit, but i'm still just as clueless!

i'm off to amazon! :happydance:

ElenTikvah
06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks so much, Angelia! I will look around and see if I can find a copy to peruse (as I usually don't buy books sight unseen).

Angelia
06-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks so much, Angelia! I will look around and see if I can find a copy to peruse (as I usually don't buy books sight unseen).

You're welcome! Maybe Amazon has a "look inside this book" feature for it--definitely worth looking into. I think I've worked out the math for a larger size of GG. I'll quadruple check it and PM you with what I *think* the numbers should be.

I figured out what the problem was with the lace: the knitter. :roll: I did [k2tog,yo] only; I didn't alternate it with [yo,k2tog]. So, right now, what was the top of the sweater is a big ol' heap of yarn barf.

I think this next go round, I'm going to do a provisional cast-on and then do the crochet bind-off for the edge to acheive the same look as the backwards loop, but without all the hassle.

kristinw
06-15-2007, 08:01 AM
oh that stinks Angelia! :pout: Did you rip it out??

My picture isn't the greatest because it is hard when it is still so small. But it does move along pretty quickly. And this yarn is really great. I got it half off, otherwise I would have never bought it because it is expensive for not much yardage.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/551895789_8b6e01b6d7.jpg

Angelia
06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Oooh, preeeety!! :inlove:

I did notice the price of the yarn, which is why I'm not using it. Plus I don't really like knitting with cotton, even if it does contain a bit of wool for stretch.

And yep, I frogged mine. No biggie, though--at least this time it will look right! :teehee:

kristinw
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not usually a big fan of cotton either. It has milk fiber in it (weird, huh?) and it makes it so soft. Very un-cotton like.

kristinw
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I found this about milk fiber:

Today’s Milk fiber is environmentally friendly, superior in strength and has far better qualities than man-made fibers. Some of the advantages of milk fiber :

Milk fiber adopts continues graft copolymerization techniques. The producing process has no effect on environment and formaldehyde in the products is zero. So milk fiber can be considered as ‘green product’.
Milk fiber is a new synthetic fiber, which adopts milk protein as main material and high-technical process. Milk fiber has the advantages natural fiber combined with synthetic fiber. Milk fiber PH is 6.8 which is the same to human skin. Milk fiber contains seventeen amino-acids and natural anti-bacterial rate is above eighty percent. So milk fiber has sanitarian function.
Dyeing stuff for milk fiber is reactive, acid or cationic dyes. Milk fiber is made from milk casein, instead of fresh milk.

And this (http://www.swicofil.com/products/212milk_fiber_casein.html) is really interesting too. Who knew??

kristinw
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Okay, how did my reply end up before yours??? creepy!

Angelia
06-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm very intrigued by the milk fiber...what IS that exactly? :thinking:

itsjustmeghan
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
any tricks for reminding yourself if you are on the YO, K2 tog or the K2tog, YO row?
i keep trying to look at the lace to see if i can tell what it is, and i'm totally guessing....maybe i should put 2 markers at the beginning of the row or something when i know the next set of lace will be the K2tog, YO row? i'm just guessing here...
i need to move over to a bigger cable soon. i think i'm down on 16's because that was the easiest to use for that horrible caston! hahahaha

Angelia
06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
That cast on is horrible! Even on a 16 my stitches get so stretched out that I can barely knit them!

As for keeping up with the rows, you can try counting the stockinette on the sleeves to see where you are, use tick marks on a sheet of paper (or the pattern itself), or slip a split ring marker into the first stitch every time you start Part A Row 1. I'll probably do the latter on my next attempt.

kristinw
06-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm actually marking on paper - A1 A2, B1 B2 - each time I finish a row. That is the only way I can remember.

I started on 24" because that is the smallest that came with my options. It was very tough in the beginning. After almost every stitch I had to shift the stitches so I could do the next one. Now that I've done so many increases, it is fine.

I'm still baffled by my posting AFTER Angelia about the milk fiber and it showed up before. :scratchinghead:

I wanna see pictures of everyones!!!!

Angelia
06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
When Sheldon switched the forum over to the new server, there was some strange twilight zone :zombie: thing going on with the timestamps, and posts were appearing in strange orders all over the boards. I think the bug is fixed now. If not, more :zombie:

That milk fiber info is fascinating!! You know that I'm going to have to buy some now, right? :shifty:

My progress isn't really grown up enough to photograph...right now it's just a few rows of rolled up knitting on a circ :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
i'm hoping to get some more done on this one today. i think i'll probably do the count and write method. just helps when i set it down and pick it up. i don't get much knitting done during the week more then a couple rows at a time, so hopefully :pray: i'll get some time to just blast through the increase section this weekend so i can get the stockinette done this week.

anybody doing any mods to theirs? i'm making mine longer if i have enough yarn. i just don't think the ever make sweater patterns (or tshirts you buy at the store) long enough. i like to make sure the transition from waist to bulgy hip fat to hip is covered instead of highlighted! hahahahaahhaha:roflhard:

kristinw
06-16-2007, 09:10 AM
There is still a bunch of Craft (the milk fiber stuff) on sale at 50% off! The sale is at Full Thread Ahead. (http://www.fullthreadahead.com/shopping/sale/index.php?pg=2&) I didn't even realize it was still on sale. Hmm, now that I know I like it maybe I should buy more.

kristinw
06-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Oh and I have a feeling I will definitely make mine longer. Everything is always way too short for my had a baby a year ago belly. :teehee:

ElenTikvah
06-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, I've been looking around for a yarn...and so far, I'm really liking this one (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Katia+Jet&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=8) at Elann.com. I know that since this is a different size skein than the pattern uses, I'll need to adjust for that...but since I'll probably be modifying the pattern some (XXL...thanks Angelia!) I think that I'll just add an extra skein or two.

Any thoughts? ... sorry for all the questions ...

~Tik

PS. Yes, I know the yarn gauge is slightly off, but I'll adjust for that with my needles.

itsjustmeghan
06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
i hear you on that baby belly! owen is 15 months, but i'm still clinging to this extra blub!

suzeeq
06-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Heh. I still have one and the last baby was 25 years ago!

sue

kristinw
06-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I think that yarn would work just fine. You probably will just have to go with a smaller needle. The yarn I used is 22 st/4 in and I just went up a needle size and got gauge. The yarn the pattern calls for uses about 1100 yards for the XL, which would be 12 balls of that yarn. I'm not sure what king of yardage you are looking at for the XXL.

kristinw
06-16-2007, 10:18 AM
:teehee::teehee: I swear it will never be the same! The clothes I wore at the same weigth pre-pg, don't fit in the belly area now. It's getting better but I think I am forever changed! All for good reason though!!

itsjustmeghan
06-16-2007, 11:28 AM
i know exactly what you're talking about! weight wise, i'm actually 10 lbs less then when i got preggers. pre-baby, that meant i was down 2 sizes...now? i'm still wearing the same size i did pre-preggers! i guess these bones don't want to move back to where they were...as for the belly? uhhh...there isn't a belly bone, is there?!:lol:

VickyS456
06-17-2007, 03:15 PM
This is such a quick knit! I cast on yesterday and by this afternoon I was up to the waist (no longer decreasing). Lots of fun! I'm using Royal Bamboo and it's looking fabulous :)

itsjustmeghan
06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
i'm jealous...no time to knit so far this weekend...when the tot was naping.......so was i! :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
06-18-2007, 10:49 AM
okay....0 knitting done this weekend. so i'm going to knit a ton today!

Angelia
06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm almost finished with the decreases! :blooby: I'm off to knit and read--I just might be able to finish tonight :happydance:

itsjustmeghan
06-18-2007, 05:22 PM
:pout: jealous......

kristinw
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm jealous too! I'm about 1/2 way done part C right now. I am really loving everything about it. I really hope in the end that it is actually wearable.

kristinw
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Any suggestions for starting a new ball of yarn? Should I just start knitting with it? I do the felted join with wool but obviously I can't do that with cotton.

Eloewien
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
GRRR.... must go find wallet... must order pattern and start tonight!! Glad I have a short addi turbo in the right length from another project! Gonna use a worsted weight yarn, so I will need to make a swatch to check gauge... I was gonna do a top from drops, but I like this more!!

So... it's ordered... how long will it take for me to get the email?

VickyS456
06-19-2007, 05:23 AM
now, ya'll know what happens when the internet goes down for the weekend and it's raining. I started GG on Saturday and finished it up last night! Pics to come tomorrow :) I just had to go out and buy a new skirt this morning to wear with it. I love it so much!

kristinw
06-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Eloewien - did you get your pattern? I actually ordered the paper version.

Vicky - OMG, that is so great!!!! I can't wait to see it!

Angelia
06-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I downloaded the pattern and printed it. Anyone know if there's a downloadable pattern for the cropped cardi we talked about a few pages back? I don't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail. :pout: Plus, at least with the versions I've found, the shipping cost is more than the pattern itself! :x

As for joining the new yarn, just add the new yarn and knit a few stitches with it and the old; it will save you some weaving-in time. I'd do it at the side so that it will be under your arm and the double-stranded stitches will show less. That's what I do when I can't use the felted join.

Eloewien
06-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Looks like it took almost 3 1/2 hours to get the email- glad I didn't stay up and wait!! I'll be printing it off momentarily!

Not a big fan of backward loop cast on... any particular reason they use this cast on??

itsjustmeghan
06-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Vicky! you finished? i can't wait to see pictures! i'm worried it'll be too hot here to wear it once i finish! :pout: i'll probably just take one for the team and wear it anyway! hahaha

i think they do the backward loop for hte look of it. it looks nice once you wrestle through the first few rows. i'm on the C section of repeats. i'm glad i don't have to think about the lace section anymore! hehehe

i'm off to look and see if i can find that pattern online angelia. any ideas on what yarn you're going to use?

Angelia
06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I think that cast-on is for the look of the stitches at the neck of the sweater. Kelly used long-tail on hers and it looks good. I did end up using backward loop, but I'm not sure I like it. I may end up embellishing the neckline a bit to cover the weirdness. Of course maybe it will look better on.

I've no idea what yarn I'll use for the cropped cardi, Meghan. Do you have any ideas? Ooh, now that I think about it, maybe Swish from KP? Machine washable!

itsjustmeghan
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I've no idea what yarn I'll use for the cropped cardi, Meghan. Do you have any ideas? Ooh, now that I think about it, maybe Swish from KP? Machine washable!

ohhhh....now what color? i like the truffle...but firebrick is pretty too....i don't know what i'm going to do with myself! my yarn is taking over my house!
i'm off to post on the general forum how people organize their stash! :roflhard:

kristinw
06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you talking about the Eyelet Cardigan???

I wish I could just sit and knit all day. I did end up just knitting in the new yarn. I actually wasn't quite at the end of the ball I was using, but I came to a knot. I hate that so much!!!! I always feel like I am getting ripped off when there is a knot.

I didn't mind the cast on too much. Like I mentioned before, the first row after was a bit tricky but I think it looks good. Although it does roll a bit. Hopefully when it is done and washed/blocked it won't roll anymore.

Eloewien
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I did a knitted cast on, my preferred, and it came out fine. I'm only on the 4th row because I keep getting distracted by other things!

Angelia
06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes, Kristin, I'm talking about the Eyelet Cardigan (I keep forgetting what it's called :oops:)

The long-tail cast on rolls, too (I used it the first time). I was tempted to try the knitted cast on; I've never used it before, though.

As for Swish, I like Sand Dune--it will go with everything regardless of season. I used Fired Brick for a sweater and the color is gorgeous! :drool:

For stash organizing, I use those Sterlite drawer thingies. I got mine at Target. (Well, actually, I'm acting as if all my stash fits in the drawer thingies...it doesn't. The rest is in bags :oops:)

kristinw
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I just love that cardigan! I think I mentioned it but I did buy the kit from kpixie with the yarn. It is the Blue Sky cotton. I think the color is stone. Whatever it showed is the color I got. I am very eager to finish this so I can start that!!!!

suzeeq
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
The long-tail cast on rolls, too (I used it the first time). I was tempted to try the knitted cast on; I've never used it before, though.

One thing that helps keep it from rolling no matter which CO, is to do the 1st row in purl on the RS.

sue

Angelia
06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I just love that cardigan! I think I mentioned it but I did buy the kit from kpixie with the yarn. It is the Blue Sky cotton. I think the color is stone. Whatever it showed is the color I got. I am very eager to finish this so I can start that!!!!

:thinking: Maybe I should just get the kit...:drool:

Oh, and I've also fallen in love with this (http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/pullovers/Mermaid_Mesh_Tunic_Pattern93-1.html). Again in beige or taupe...*sigh*

itsjustmeghan
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
thanks for the tip suzeeq!
that sweater is really nice angelia!
i got a few more rows done at lunch...hoping i can watch some Lost episodes and work on it some more tonight...i want to get the sleeves on holders ASAP so my rounds won't take so long! :shock:

Angelia
06-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I wish I'd thought to purl that first row...then again, with backward loop, I think I'd have gone insane :zombie:

I'm ordering the kit in stone, too, Meghan. We can be twinsies! :blooby:

Maybe we should start a KAL on it. Or just keep interrupting this thread with talk of it :rofl:

Oh, regarding GG: no knitting on it today. :pout: Not yet, anyway. I'm not looking forward to the miles of stockinette. I'm considering adding a few rows of the lacy bit to the bottom just to make the knitting more interesting.

ElenTikvah
06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm looking forward to officially joining this KAL, but I'm still waiting for my yarn, ordered last week from Elann.com...and honestly, I may have to delay my complete focus on this project until I get a comfort shawl completed for my mama, for her chemo treatments...nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to casting on!

~Tik

Eloewien
06-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm only four rows in... debating restarting with the first row purled. Should I do a row of purl then start the pattern, or do the front in pattern and the rest purled, since the front isn't curling? Any thoughts?

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
The way I did mine (it was based on GG, I winged the mesh pattern) was R1 purl all the way around, then stockinette across the back and sleeves. I purled the row before I bound off the sleeves, and the row after the CO at the underarm so they'd kind of match. I like that effect and have done it on other similar tops.

itsjustmeghan
06-20-2007, 09:32 AM
what does the purling do? give it a neat look? or help with the rolling? or both?

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Purling even the one row helps with the rolling, as well as give a different look. Call it a design feature...

sue

Eloewien
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I frogged last night and did one entire row of purl before diving in- definitely not curling up! I got halfway through the A/B section before I couldn't keep my eyes open... I'll dive back in as soon as I have breakfast!

Angelia
06-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Ooh, I'm glad the purl row worked for you!:cheering::cheering: I'll definitely use that trick on future projects!

Sue, do you think it would work to add the purl row after the fact? Probably not. :pout:

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
You mean pick up and purl a row, then BO? It could; that would be the same as picking up for a neckband which does help rolling edges.

sue

Eloewien
06-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Maybe you could try adding some sort of single crochet or slip stitch edging? Not sure if it would work or not...

Angelia
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
I'll try to pick up and purl; if that doesn't work, I'll try the crochet. Actually, I was going to do the crochet anyway since I don't really like the look of the cast on...it went all wonky because the stitches didn't really fit on my circ, and I don't have a smaller one.

itsjustmeghan
06-20-2007, 08:12 PM
got some knitting done today. 2 more rows until the sleeves are seperated....then i had an accident with a steak knife making dinner, so my left index fingertip is being held together with tape....i have no idea how i'm going to knit!! actually, that was my fist thought! well, it was "thank god i didn't cut my fingertip off!" and then "how am i going to knit?!"
hopefully this thing heals fast...i think i'll shrivel up if i can't fo any stitchin!!!:cry::pout:

so entertain me and let's post some progress pics!! i'm excited to see vicky's finished sweater too!! :cheering:
pictures! pictures! pictures!

Angelia
06-21-2007, 05:58 AM
:hug: for your finger!!! I had the same thing happen about a year ago with an Ulu knife...wasn't pretty. :help:

To make you happy in your time of need, here's a progress pic! It's still dark out, so I can't get very good lighting, but a pic is a pic, right?

It's knit with superwash merino that I dyed myself.

I'm about an inch or so away from completing the body! :happydance:

kristinw
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
That is so pretty!!!! I just love the color!!! I am jealous that you are almost done. I still haven't taken the sleeves off the needles yet.

Meghan - I hope you are okay! That is awful :hug:! I really hope you can knit.

I only got about 1 round in last night. I started to knit and was falling asleep. I didn't want to risk screwing it up so I put it away. sigh.... I should be home from work early today though and am hoping to get some time in.

kristinw
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Well here's my picture. Like I said, I haven't even taken the sleeves off the needles yet so it is a bit squished in the picture - didn't want it to fall off. It is coming along nicely though. I love :inlove: the yarn so much!!! It is a dream to work with.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1120/580441917_956b28007b.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/580679296_45dd0e8128.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

Eloewien
06-21-2007, 08:23 AM
What yarn are you using?? it looks so much like mine in softwist!

VickyS456
06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Kristen, that's coming along great!

Here is my FO, I'm wearing it today :) I already had quite a few compliments on it and a girlfriend wanted to know where I bought it, hehe.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1398/6380725/16596847/261049189.jpg

kristinw
06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh Vicky that is beautiful!!!!! :cheering::cheering: You did such a great job and it fits you perfectly. I hope mine comes out the same!

VickyS456
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks! There is a clickable pic in my blog and you can see the details because the pic is HUGE! and I also wrote the modifications
to the pattern that I did.

want2knit
06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Vicky, would you say that the pattern is true to size? I'm new to knitting tops and wondering how the sizes work. Did you knit a smaller size than you normally are? You can PM me if you want. Your top fits you great!

Angelia
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Kristin, yours is looking beautiful! :cheering: Love the look of that yarn, too!

And fantastic job Vicky!! It looks gorgeous on you! :inlove:

itsjustmeghan
06-21-2007, 12:41 PM
today is bad...i can't knit, my finger is doing that irritating throbbing thing, and because i'm at work, the beautiful pictures of people's progress are blocked!!!! :pout:

i do love that you all posted them, though!!:muah::hug: and i can't wait to get home and see them!

thanks for the well wishes!
i haven't tried liquid bandages before, but i think i'm going to stop by the store and pick something up....the bandaids just aren't going to cut it! DS keeps trying to pick them up, and it hurts when he does that! of course, he thinks mommy saying "OW!" is funny! :teehee:

Eloewien
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I picked up yarn to make a second one... even tho I'm only about halfway through the first! One is in Softwist, which is a somewhat shiny rayon blend. I picked up some Cascade Sierra today (cotton/wool blend) to make a less dressy version. Maybe for me, maybe a friend- we'll see!

itsjustmeghan
06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
everybody's looks great!!!
i got some knitting done tonight with my ouch held out of the way.
got my sleeves off, and was able to try it on!
here's pictures...and one of my owie! :teehee:

VickyS456
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the kind words, ladies :)

Vicky, would you say that the pattern is true to size? I'm new to knitting tops and wondering how the sizes work. Did you knit a smaller size than you normally are? You can PM me if you want. Your top fits you great!

Holly, I would say that it's true to size. I made the size S and added extra decreases for the waist and did the optional increases (3) for my hips. I'm 34D - 26 - 36 and for every other pattern I've made so far, I've had to make an XS (which I certainly am not!), even when I'm spot on gauge. I hope that helps :)

Angelia
06-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Yay Meghan!! It looks great so far!:cheering::cheering:

Mine...gah! It's finished, but the top rolls like mad. I tried to pick up and purl--blech. I did some crochet around the top, which helped the curl somewhat, but the front is as wonky as before--it actually curves upward! :shock:

I'll get dh to get a photo later. I may end up having to re-knit the thing. Again. But I love the pattern so much, and in every other respect it fits like a dream, so I think the re-knit will be worth it. Just sad I can't wear it yet. :pout:

My Eyelet Cardigan kit should arrive today or tomorrow, so that will soothe the pain somewhat :teehee:

Angelia
06-22-2007, 11:48 AM
'Tis done!

The photo is awful. My husband is not the most patient photographer. :roll:

kristinw
06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Looking good Meghan and Angelia!!! I can see what you mean about the curling though. But it fits great!!! And neither of you look like what I pictured. I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

Way to tough it out for the sake of knitting Meghan! :teehee:

Well I got the sleeves off the needles but I think I am going to do a few more C repeats. I feel like the armholes are going to be too small. I tried to try it on but it was very difficult to do without losing stitches. How does everyone do it??

Angelia
06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I put the armhole stitches on very long pieces of waste yarn so that if they pull, I'm safe.

Oh, and voice of experience: when you do the ribbing for the sleeves, bind off looooooosely. My bind-off, which I thought was loose, is bordering on too tight. In fact, I wouldn't even go to the smaller needles to knit those three rows of ribbing.

Eloewien
06-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Good to know about the ribbing-- thanks! I'll probably stick with my sz 6 DPNs then since I don't have sz 4's right now!

itsjustmeghan
06-22-2007, 11:01 PM
looks good angelia! i can't believe you're finished already!
i was hoping to get a lot done on mine tonight, but i'm falling asleep already....yawn!

Angelia
06-23-2007, 07:06 AM
I've already started the Eyelet Cardigan...:shifty: I'm about 6 inches in. The yarn is hugemongous, so this is going to be one quick knit indeed! Too bad it's not a raglan.

I'm going to knit another GG soon, though. This time in a cotton blend.

Did misread the GG directions, or were the stitches knit through the yarnovers supposed to be ktbl? The holes hardly show at all on mine. :pout:

kristinw
06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
You are going to be done the cardigan before I even finish GG. Weird that your holes aren't that big. It was just YO and K2TOG. I'm sure the yarn used affects how it looks.

I finally managed to go back a round and get the sleeves back on the needles. I'm thinking I'll do 3 more C repeats.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

itsjustmeghan
06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
i thought this would be a quick knit, but with my finger it's turning out to be a longer project then i'd hoped. :pout:
angelia is going to do 3 or 4 sweaters in the time i do mine! :lol:

VickyS456
06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Angelia, looks good!

I totally agree about the arm ribbing! I didn't switch to a smaller needle and on one arm, I had to rip back my bind off and do it again because it was too tight.

Angelia
06-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I was a little skeptical doing the armbands on smaller needles, but I was trying to 'trust the pattern', as Ingy instructs.

I'm so sorry your finger is making your knitting slow, Meghan! :pout: Is it feeling better and healing well, at least?

itsjustmeghan
06-23-2007, 03:16 PM
it is feeling a little better, i just can't push the right needle with it (which i guess i do). so it's just going slow...that's all. otherwise, yes, it's healing up well. i got that liquid bandage stuff by bandaid, and basically super glued it shut, so it should heal up pretty quick....i hope so....i REALLY hope so...:shock:just don't feel like me when i can't knit a bunch!

Eloewien
06-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I love how it's coming out :) I went ahead and finished the sleeves so I could see what it was looking like-- I did the ribbing on 4's but bound off on 6's and it seems just fine!
http://dragonwingarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/greengable.JPG

http://dragonwingarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ggsleeve.JPG

Angelia
06-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, it's gorgeous! :inlove: I love that yarn, too--it looks like silk!

Eloewien
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Berocco Softwist- not too expensive either! A little prone to splitting, but otherwise I like it.

Angelia
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Oooh, yes, I've fondled that a few times at the LYS! :teehee:

kristinw
06-25-2007, 07:49 AM
That's lovely! :inlove:

So I did put the sleeves back on the needles and did 3 more repeats of C (6 rounds), which is a little over an inch. It is much better!! I would have been unhappy if the armholes were too tight. They seem great now. So now onto my 3" of body that comes next in the pattern. aahhhh, someday I will be done!

itsjustmeghan
06-25-2007, 09:57 PM
i'm about 3 inches into the 4 inches i need to do for the length of body past the sleeves. and then i get to do massive decreases.

i might have to put this to the side a bit, because i need to get knitting for my secret swapper knitted gift for august. we'll see...i'll try to do both at once...

Eloewien
06-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Yea- I'm workin on my project for my swapper too, it's comin' along, but i'm soooo close to done on this that I wanna get it all done!!!

Eloewien
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Finished it today- i'll try to get pictures up tonight!!

itsjustmeghan
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
i haven't touched mine because of the finger and the secret swapper project taking priority. :pout:
i'm hoping i can get my hands on it later this week!
can't wait to see pictures!:thumbsup:

itsjustmeghan
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
uhhh....pictures?!:oo:

Eloewien
07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
some of us work wierd hours :hair: I'm at work for another hour...

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Just took pics and they took forever to upload so i'm getting a bit fried... don't feel up to converting to display on the forum yet... but here's a link:
Link (http://www.dragonwingarts.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=347&g2_fromNavId=x114fb694)

Just a heads up- the shot of me wearing it, I look awful :)

itsjustmeghan
07-03-2007, 07:06 AM
yeah!!!!:cheering: it looks great! i'm sorry i gave you a hard time about the pictures :shifty:
i love your maryjane crocks!:thumbsup:

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
hehe- no big deal- I'm used to it. I've been working that shift for five years and mom STILL doesn't remember not to call early in the morning!

ElenTikvah
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, I've cast-on my sweater! I'm so excited!!!

~Tik

itsjustmeghan
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
i'm almost done with the knitting on my swap project.
i'm going to use self hypnosis...

LOOK INTO MY EYES:shock: FINISH GREEN GABLE SOON!!! :zombie:

Angelia
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
i'm going to use self hypnosis...

LOOK INTO MY EYES:shock: FINISH GREEN GABLE SOON!!! :zombie:

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Your GG looks great, El! :thumbsup:

I've started another one--the eyelet pattern at the top looks much better than on the first. I'm optimistic about this one. Oh, and thanks to Sue's tip, the top isn't curling! :happydance:

itsjustmeghan
07-28-2007, 05:19 PM
:hiding: I'M BACK!!! :woot:

i finally get to knit for myself again! between swap projects, baby blankets, wash clothes, and chemo caps, i haven't had a chance to knit for myself in a LONG time. i finally got all my stuff done, and i'm working on my green gable again! i'm planning on getting it finished in the next week. and then i'll cast on for my rusted roots.
although, i do really want to do that eyelet cardigan thing....but i also want to make one of those circular cardigans....if i can get more knitting time in, that'd be fabulous. life has taken a turn for crazyville :eyes:, so i'm stretched pretty thin and need my knitting sanity more then ever! i'm hoping to sock away some money so i have it for future projects. right now, no jobs on the horizon, so come september, i will have a LOT of time (and stress) on my hands. we'll see.

okay...just finished all my decreases. after i do a round of straight stockinette i'm going to see if i can try it on...

kristinw
07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Yay Meghan! :cheering: I just have to finish my sockapalooza socks and then it is all about me. I decided no more knitting swaps for a long while. Yarn swaps, sure - but I feel like I am just not getting anything for me done and there is so much I want to knit. I'd like to get the Green Gable done before the summer is over.

kristinw
09-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Well I'm finally back to knitting this again. Anyone else working on this??