PDA

View Full Version : Crochet

Stiney
06-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Oooh, how exciting! I want to learn to crochet.

Will there be crochet videos at some point? I know that crochethelp.com routes here. :teehee:

samm
06-18-2007, 05:10 PM
This is a great idea! I wonder how many knitters here crochet as well? I do both, and enjoy each for different reasons. samm

madametj
06-18-2007, 05:11 PM
This is a great idea! I wonder how many knitters here crochet as well? I do both, and enjoy each for different reasons. samm

I crochet!:cheering: but just the bare basics: chain, single crochet, double, and half-double.

hey Stiney, when did you change your name?

lissalue
06-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I crochet, but I prefer knitting. It is good to know for different projects though. I am going to use it today to attach some fun fur to my daughter's new flip flops.

Stiney
06-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Amy changed it for me at the end of last week. I figured it'd be easier if I just had "one" name on the boards, instead of some people referring to me as Stine/Stiney, and others referring to me as "cawthraven" or "raven." But I kept the bit in my sig to make it less confusing, hopefully. :teehee:

marykz
06-18-2007, 05:35 PM
I like the crochet videos at annies attic; and nexstitch.com; I know there are a few more places!

robynbird
06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I enjoy crochet as well and learned at nexstitch! Hey Stiney...is that your last name? My maiden name is Stine. :)

letah75
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I've been wanting to learn!!!!!!! Woo hoo. I was hoping this would happen one day.

PixieKnits
06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
oh i can crochet too, my grandmother taught me when i was 4, and i only recently picked up knitting!

leslie979
06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I learned crochet first and have been doing it for about a year. I recently picked up knitting and for now prefer it. Ive got some crochet projects going right now but havent picked them up in a while. If I hadnt learned crochet first I dont think I would have been able to teach myself how to knit. Might have to dust off my hooks this week. I bought a bunch of yarn for a ripple before I really got into knitting. I feel guilty lol

AnaK
06-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I crochet.
This is a great idea to have section for it here.:cheering:

BinkyKat
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I only can tolerate crochet enough for finishing purposes....but I want to be able to do it as well as knitting. I actually had tried for years to learn but knitting is what finally took for me. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum for help and such!!!:cheering:

Sara
06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm (still) trying to get some classes scheduled for this summer. I will be teaching a basic crochet class and then a hat design class.

And while my mom is here this week, I'm going to try to teach her to read a pattern.:wall: :teehee:

aineepooh1
06-18-2007, 11:54 PM
YEAH for Crochet~!:cheering::happydance::cheering::happydan ce:

Braden
06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I croched before I learned to knit, and I got very experienced in it, and I made lots of afghans, but since I picked up knitting, I really haven't crocheted in about 5 years, but occasionally I will make an afghan. I prefer crochet for them because it seems to go a little faster, but that's about the only thing I do with it.

Here are a few good crochet sites:

NexStitch (http://www.nexstitch.com/)
Learn Crochet Now (http://www.learncrochetnow.com/)
Crochetville-a forum just like this one (http://www.crochetville.org/)

I'm sure there are more, but those are just the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Inis
06-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Another crocheter here! I've crocheted since I was a kid, but I ain't saying how long ago that was ;) , and took up knitting a few years ago. I like both for different projects and reasons.

Inis
06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm (still) trying to get some classes scheduled for this summer. I will be teaching a basic crochet class and then a hat design class.

And while my mom is here this week, I'm going to try to teach her to read a pattern.:wall: :teehee:

What do you use to teach? Written or charted patterns? What kind of yarn, hooks, etc. do you start pupils out with? I'm considering teaching a class at the Air Force Academy community center, but have no idea where to start.

giedre11
06-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Having recently joined this knitting forum, I must say I am absolutely thrilled to see a crochet section here! :muah: Now two of my favorite activities in one place! Thanks for having me!

Braden
06-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Welcome! This is a great place, and I think it's better with the 2 new forums.

JoeE
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I was a crocheter first, for a long, long time. Once I finally learned to knit, I've only used a crochet hook to pick up a dropped knit stitch. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a knit snob. In my defense, have you seen some of the things people crochet? My Aunt used to crochet these Barbie-type dolls with skirts that you put over a spare roll of toilet paper to display on the back of the toilet. She thought that was high art.

I know some people crochet some beautiful stuff, so consider my comments tongue in cheek, unless you're actually crocheting toilet paper covers, in that case I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

Stiney
06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I enjoy crochet as well and learned at nexstitch! Hey Stiney...is that your last name? My maiden name is Stine. :)

I come at the name from my first name, actually. Christine is a really hard name to say...my brother turned into Stine, my sisters turned it into Tistine. :teehee:

I was a crocheter first, for a long, long time. Once I finally learned to knit, I've only used a crochet hook to pick up a dropped knit stitch. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a knit snob. In my defense, have you seen some of the things people crochet? My Aunt used to crochet these Barbie-type dolls with skirts that you put over a spare roll of toilet paper to display on the back of the toilet. She thought that was high art.

I know some people crochet some beautiful stuff, so consider my comments tongue in cheek, unless you're actually crocheting toilet paper covers, in that case I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

My grandmother apparently used to make them. :teehee: I'm glad I missed them.

robynbird
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I come at the name from my first name, actually. Christine is a really hard name to say...my brother turned into Stine, my sisters turned it into Tistine. :teehee:

That is very original! So I guess it's pronounced with the long e sounds as in Steen? Mine is pronounced with the long i sound. LOL

Sara
06-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Inis:
For the beginner classes, I would ask them to use a worsted acrylic or wool blend and a size J metal hook. As for instructional materials, it would just be the figure drawings like you find in the back of a magazine, the "how to crochet" stuff.

For the design class, I'll have them buy a stitch dictionary. Haven't decided which one, yet. Then they can go crazy, go nuts with the type of yarn, etc.

JoeE: Have you SEEN some of the fugly stuff that people knit?!:shock:
:roflhard::roflhard: I wish that the You Knit What? website was still operating.

Love your avatar!!:heart:

marykz
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
oh yeah- it can really be a challenge to find patterns that aren't just AWFUL!! some are just so scary. I saw a whole collection of patterns to make to cover the air freshener thingy. and they weren't even cute. (shudder)

Stiney
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
That is very original! So I guess it's pronounced with the long e sounds as in Steen? Mine is pronounced with the long i sound. LOL

Originally, yes. :teehee: One of my good friends, who I've known since I was 10, started calling me Stine in high school. When we left for college, she started referring to me in AIM conversations as "Stine" and another friend from high school picked it up--but he thought it was pronounced with the long i. So I answer to both nicknames now. I think most people here say it with the long i. :teehee:

lissie
06-19-2007, 12:23 PM
For those interested in learning crochet, here's another link to a site with videos, for BOTH right-handed and left-handed folks. Just look under stitch guides. :)

http://www.iamintheloop.com/artofcrochet/index.php

JGM
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
This is what I think of every time I see your name Stiney :-D

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail29.html

Miss Kittie
06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I do both ( Knit and Crochet).
I like knit for wearables, Crochet for afghan and other things..Like stuffed animals, bags,etc..
Sara~ Had to TRY to teach my mom how to read parterns..Didn't go well.. I think in previous life she was a blonde....:??:hair:
Not to offend anyone~ I'm Blonde...

Stiney
06-19-2007, 01:17 PM
This is what I think of every time I see your name Stiney :-D

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail29.html

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stiny, get me a Danish!

Thanks everyone for all the great crochet resources! :hug:

RachelG
06-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm a crocheter!!!!!! (Actually, an exclusive crocheter. Rebecca is trying to get me to try out the new circs and double pointed needles I inherited...or, in other words, learn how to knit!!! but I need to tell her to fix it so there's 26 hours in the day first.) smile

knottyknitter
06-20-2007, 06:15 AM
I learned to crochet first, after seeing the afghan my aunt crocheted for my grandmother. That was almost 14 years ago.

Then met a great bunch of ladies that knitted. With there help and a book I bought at michaels I learned to knit. That was about 2 years ago.

I knit more then crochet anymore. One day I finish the 2 afghans that I have started.

batregre
06-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Tunisan crochet is SO cool. It looks more like knitting, although it takes up alot of yarn and time! I find I can't stop though!

aineepooh1
06-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I bought some books and magazines about Tunisian crochet and it looks ALOT like knitting~!:thumbsup: I even bought the aghan hooks in various sizes and even the flexible afghan hook BUT I still haven't figured it out yet... My latest crocheting mag had an easy pattern for a tunisian crochet bag and I looked the stitching over and it * to repeat myself** looks ALOT like knitting.. but I STILL haven't figured it out yet~! :think:

but right now I am making baby blankets out the WAZOO.. I discovered I LOVE:heart: HDC.. it gives you 1 1/2 times the stitches of sc but only 1/2 the work of DC... ME likey...
I find that larger projects ( like afghans) are easier for me to make with crochet b/c it just seems to go so much faster than knitting.. however as another poster said I :inlove::inlove: both for different reasons...

Inis
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Tissue covers? Like this?
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/inislovely/crochet/DCP_0006-1.jpg
You call it ugly, I call it kitsch ;)

Stiney
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
No, no, no, not like that. They go over toilet paper rolls. And they have dolls. The skirt part covers the toilet paper roll. :ick:

Rubyjane
05-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I learned to crochet several years ago...my neighbor at the time, an older lady (than I!) is very skilled at it, and menopause hit along with my daughter's teen years and leaving home...wow...I was knocked flat. So I learned to crochet. So glad I did, even tho I only do simple things. Its so different than knitting that I see no comparison. I got tired of knitting last knight and started a crocheted rug for my kitchen. Great...now I have 5 knitting projects going, and now this...LOL. Variety is the spice of life!

Rubyjane
05-24-2008, 09:01 AM
If you think crocheted TP doll covers are strange, I live near Green Bay, and you should see the goofy stuff people crochet and WEAR in green and gold...gesh...its embarrassing just to look at some if it. Its all done in fun, I'm sure..still, some of its really wierd.

bukkay
07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Bukky,I just started to learn how to crochet.I now know the basic stitches but I really need to learn how to read the patterns. Please can anyone explain what this means to me? Row 1: ch 2,1 dc in each ch to end; turn. Repeat this row 14 more times. Row 16: ch 2 ,17 dc; turn. Repeat row 16,14 more times. Please I will be very happy if any one can help me with that. Thanks
Bukky.

bjc1050
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Bukky,I just started to learn how to crochet.I now know the basic stitches but I really need to learn how to read the patterns. Please can anyone explain what this means to me? Row 1: ch 2,1 dc in each ch to end; turn. Repeat this row 14 more times. Row 16: ch 2 ,17 dc; turn. Repeat row 16,14 more times. Please I will be very happy if any one can help me with that. Thanks
Bukky.

This is the way I understand it:

Row 1: ch 2 (you will actually have 2 chains plus the loop on the hook.) Now make 1 dc in each chain to the end (don't make a stitch in the loop on the hook. Turn.

Row 2: ch 2 (this is a turning chain), then make 1 dc in each dc including the top of the turning chain. (this gives you an increase in each row).

Row 16: Ch 2 (the turning chain again). Then 17 dc to the end. (You don't want to increase any stitches from here on so you probably should skip the first dc.) Repeat this 14 more times.

Continue this until you have 15 rows or rounds depending on what you are crocheting....something square or circular.

You are adding stitches from row 2 thru row 15 and want the rows to all be even (no increases) from row 16 to the end of the section of the pattern or the end of the project.

pinktoque
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
woohoo!

this site has been my "bible" for knitting to teach me beyond the very basics that my MIL taught me last summer. She taught me the english method, and since it's all I knew, I never watched any of the continental videos. This weekend my husband and I visited his grandparents and his grandma was knitting continental style, so I've been inspired to revisit and "relearn" knitting the continental method.

We also talked this weekend about how neither one of us could crochet, and so I thought to check "crochethelp.com" in hopes that there was a "sister" version of this site just for crochet. I was sad to see it just redirected here, though Braden and others have listed some very helpful crochet video sites, so I hope they're up to par as far as quality with knittinghelp! No other knitting videos have ever been good enough after browsing and learning here :)

Thanks for all of the knitting AND crochet help!

KnittinMitchie
08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I crochet just about as well as I knit and have started teaching crochet classes too. I've found as a knitter you need to know the basics cause some patterns call for a nice crochet border once your done.

sylvia
08-06-2008, 08:24 AM
hi
crocheter too
just finished making a cardigan of blocks
crochet squares all double crochet
had fun arranging them to create a cardigan
amazing how creative you can get
large squares or small
it turned out real nice and not granny like
although i am a granny
sylvia

OffJumpsJack
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I abhor working in my starting chain, so when I use an Afghan hook I start with the long tail cast on.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you have other methods to avoid similar furstrations?

MGM
09-13-2008, 08:33 PM
I knit and crochet and love them both for different things. Knitting is my preferred method of making anything wearable like sweaters, mittens, scarves, ponchos. Crochet is definitely my favorite for afghans and baby blankets. I like making them all one color in a fancy stitch so the stitch is the star, or using a pattern of colors in a simple stitch or pattern of blocks so the colors are the star. Oooh, I love having a pile of yarn to create something with !

I have started to build up my library of video tutorials (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/09/library-of-video-tutorials.html) for knitting and crocheting which beginners might find helpful.

MGM