PDA

View Full Version : Learn to Knit Continental KAL?

madametj
06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
i'm determined to try continental knitting this summer. any1 want to join me? my "first" project will be this dishcloth (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html).

auburnchick
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh boy...this really, really is tempting. Hmmm...will have to think on this one!!!

JoeE
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Already a continental knitter, and I've knit bunches of those exact dishcloths. I wish you the best of luck as you try this out! I :heart::heart::heart: those hand-knit dishcloths.

Since I started knitting continental, my stitches are significantly more even, but I really should have stuck with English longer to get it looking better. I wish I could do both equally well so I could do two-handed Fair Isle.

Good Luck!!!
Joe

itsjustmeghan
06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
wouldn't you know it, that i was just telling someone that i need dishcloths. AND i 've always wanted to knit continental! so what better way to make dishcloths a little more interesting!

you'd think that since i'm an avid crocheter, it'd be easier for me to do, but it's not...just a new way of holding everything! it does look like it's a much faster way of knitting..

i'm in!

madametj
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
figuring out how to hold the yarn was the trickiest part, i ended up holding it like i do when i crochet. i think i've alreadey got the knit stitch down ok, and my tension isn't bad at all! going reallly slow for now. once i pick up the speed a bit, i'll try purling!

wouldn't you know it, that i was just telling someone that i need dishcloths. AND i 've always wanted to knit continental! so what better way to make dishcloths a little more interesting!

you'd think that since i'm an avid crocheter, it'd be easier for me to do, but it's not...just a new way of holding everything! it does look like it's a much faster way of knitting..

i'm in!

yes! i've got one recruit!:cheering::happydancing:

Oh boy...this really, really is tempting. Hmmm...will have to think on this one!!!

you know you want to....:teehee:

Lisa_H-Town
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I have wanted to learn continental since day one.... I am knitting a really fugly scarf that tension mistakes won't show (and give me an excuse to work on it:pout:), so since reading this I have watched the cont. videos (several times), and have started doing the scarf project that way, to get comfortable.

I have some left over sugar & cream and think I would like to try this as well.

Also a crocheter, I think I will adapt to this faster than I adapted to holding the yarn in my right hand -- that was tough. Just gotta quit trying to use my left pointer finger to hold the needle... my finger is hurting, from using and holding muscles in a way I haven't in a while.... anyone else, or is it just me??:oo:

Braden
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Ummm, If I can help any of you out, let me know, and there are dozens of great Continental knitters here, and I'm sure that they would be glad to help you, should you need it!

Doodknitwit
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Sturday I took a class..Seems I to hald English, half Coninental.. how screwy is that pretty screwy :roflhard: :eyes: there's a neat video on YouTube:psst: too!!! :out:

Doodknitwit
06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
:wall: i can't spell either it seems :shrug:

madametj
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Ummm, If I can help any of you out, let me know, and there are dozens of great Continental knitters here, and I'm sure that they would be glad to help you, should you need it!

thanx! as a matter of fact, i tried purling just for the heck of it, and had and awful time.:wall:

stirsmommy
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I want to play. I am starting on dishcloths for Christmas anyway. Is it true that if I learn to do this I can use two colors?

madametj
06-19-2007, 10:28 PM
I want to play. I am starting on dishcloths for Christmas anyway. Is it true that if I learn to do this I can use two colors?

you can use two colors with both english and continental.

stirsmommy
06-19-2007, 10:35 PM
you can use two colors with both english and continental.
Well then I think I will try it anyway. Always good to know something different right? Is there any advantage though since I will probably need a carrot to get me going?

chrislt8
06-19-2007, 10:35 PM
May I join you? I've been wanting to learn continental and this is a great idea! Never having made a dishcloth...what type of yarn do you all recommend? I'll try to pick some up tomorrow so I can join right in! Thanks. Chris

madametj
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Well then I think I will try it anyway. Always good to know something different right? Is there any advantage though since I will probably need a carrot to get me going?
Continental is generally much faster (my main reason for learning), and if you watch the stranding video in the Advanced Techniques (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) page, you'll see that when amy switches between colors every stitch, she knits one color english and the other continental, that way she doesnt have to drop either yarn, and she can hold one in each hand.

I'm sure there are more advantages, but you'd have to ask this sites knitting experts about that.

May I join you? I've been wanting to learn continental and this is a great idea! Never having made a dishcloth...what type of yarn do you all recommend? I'll try to pick some up tomorrow so I can join right in! Thanks. Chris
By any means, please join us! Cotton is used for dishcloths. Sugar and Cream, and Peaches and Cream seem the be the most popular (or perhaps the most available) kind.

chrislt8
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Yippee! :happydancing: I'll pick up some yarn tomorrow (got tied up today-work and all) and will plan on casting on tomorrow night...I've played with contintental a little but was putting off really learning as I'm in the middle of a sweater and want to finish it in English so I don't mess up tension...

I seem to do okay with knitting in continental, but the purling hasn't gone so well. And I am having the darndest time figuring out the best way to hold the yarn... I love the ease of switching between knit and purl though...it all goes MUCH faster :thumbsup:

auburnchick
06-20-2007, 02:01 PM

enabler...:teehee:

madametj
06-20-2007, 02:56 PM
enabler...:teehee:

:rofling:

I love the ease of switching between knit and purl though...it all goes MUCH faster :thumbsup:

see, stirsmommy, i told you there were more advantages:cheering:

chrislt8
06-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I know we have some videos here on continental knitting, but there is also one I found on youtube that I found helpful to watch...thought I would share it. Really emphasizes the knit/purl switch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

debinoz
06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I tried conti knitting once..... my finger hurt from holding it so stiffly and I got cramps in my hand from trying to hold the needle without my index finger. I might give it another go.... I always get confused on which way to yarn wraps and have to switch back to make sure I'm going the right direction. I need a rhym like the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" thing.

chrislt8
06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
= I need a rhym like the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" thing.

Yeah - that is a GREAT idea...maybe we can come up with some as we learn how to do this - you know, knit poetry:roflhard:

Braden
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Mademtj- I'll direct you to a site I found. This is a great tutorial on Continental Purling, and it shows many different ways to wrap the yarn. Check it out!

Link:

http://explaiknit.typepad.com/contpurling.pdf (pdf)

I use the method where I push the yarn down with my index finger, and it's very efficient and requires less motion than the wrap in Amy's videos.

itsjustmeghan
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
i can't do it anymore!!!! :pout:

i decided to try to open a bag of frozen veggies with a steak knife....needless to say, it didn't go well, and while i didn't need stitches, i had to tape my fingertip shut on my left index finger...i'm not even sure i'll be able to knit my normal way!!:cry:
what will i do?! :cry::pout::cry::pout:

Braden
06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Ouch, sorry! Maybe you could push the yarn down with your middle finger instead, that way, nothing would come in contact with your fingertip.

madametj
06-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Mademtj- I'll direct you to a site I found. This is a great tutorial on Continental Purling, and it shows many different ways to wrap the yarn. Check it out!

Link:

http://explaiknit.typepad.com/contpurling.pdf (pdf)

I use the method where I push the yarn down with my index finger, and it's very efficient and requires less motion than the wrap in Amy's videos.

thanx ContiKnitter, thats a great tutorial! i knew u'd be lots of help:hug:, now i'm purling like a pro! (well, sort of:teehee:)
i can't do it anymore!!!! :pout:

i decided to try to open a bag of frozen veggies with a steak knife....needless to say, it didn't go well, and while i didn't need stitches, i had to tape my fingertip shut on my left index finger...i'm not even sure i'll be able to knit my normal way!!:cry:
what will i do?! :cry::pout::cry::pout:

Oh, no! i hope it heals up real soon, megan:heart:

auburnchick
06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Give yourself a week or so. I cut the tip of my middle finger a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty bad, but I didn't get stitches. I just put a bandaid on it and didn't knit for a week.

:muah:

itsjustmeghan
06-20-2007, 10:13 PM
one week?!?!
:passedout:

i don't know if i'm going to make it! :teehee:

chrislt8
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Just realized I can post the youtube directly into the post...so here it is. I find I am more of a visual learner so watching the video really helped me out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

itsjustmeghan
06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
what an awesome video!
maybe i CAN learn how to knit that way with my gimpy finger....i'll give it a few days off just incase. it's WAY WAY WAY faster then the throwing method...i kept thinking that today when i was knitting on my green gable...how i could do 2 times as many knits in the time it takes me to do a round, because i'd eliminate the throw...
i need some sugar and cream for those dishclothes....
i can't knit...but i can shop!!!

madametj
06-20-2007, 11:06 PM
what an awesome video!
maybe i CAN learn how to knit that way with my gimpy finger....i'll give it a few days off just incase. it's WAY WAY WAY faster then the throwing method...i kept thinking that today when i was knitting on my green gable...how i could do 2 times as many knits in the time it takes me to do a round, because i'd eliminate the throw...

you don't have to do a dishcloth, y'know. i just chose this pattern cus its all knits, but you can make anything you want, as long as u do it continental:thumbsup:

stirsmommy
06-20-2007, 11:12 PM
what an awesome video!
Shopping is always good. More yarn. I really need to start hiding mine the family is beginning to look at me strangely.:shrug: Hope the finger feels better. As soon as I finish this kitchen sink bag or I go get some needles I will start my dish cloth. Ok let's face it I will be getting the needles well before I get the bag done. Is having three projects on the needles nutty?

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, last night I knitted a whole row continental on my "scarf" (172 stitches) and tonight I was going to purl continental... got frustrated cuz it's wierdly yarns, so switched to English for the purl row, and about halfway down I noticed (may have been sooner, and I didn't notice?) all my stitches were twisted... did I knit wrong last nite, or is it not possible to switch back and forth between methods? I have been checking out the videos... even watched while I was doing it:?? I feel confident I messed up, but thought I would check first.... do I make sense?:shock:

chrislt8
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
you don't have to do a dishcloth, y'know. i just chose this pattern cus its all knits, but you can make anything you want, as long as u do it continental:thumbsup:

Yeah - I thought of doing a sampler scarf with different stitch patterns - that's how I learned English and I was just as clumsy with the needles when I started that way as I am now with the Continental :roflhard:

BUT - my original sampler is just rolled up and stashed as it has as many "bad" areas :ick: as good and I figure even the worst dishcloth can be used in my kitchen for washing the dishes (but maybe the "good" ones will end up as some pre-made gifts!) :roflhard:

Glad the video was helpful :cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
yes! i've got one recruit! :cheering::happydancing:

Count me in too! I've been wanting to switch to Continental! I'll start the dishcloth too, it'll give me a break from knitting my girl's HP PoA scarf.

Is this just for the summer?

UnspeakableJoy
06-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Now THAT'S the right attitude! :roflhard: I'm glad to see your spirits are lifted!

itsjustmeghan
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
i tried it at lunch today making sure my yarn wasn't going across my finger. so far it's okay. kinda weird, but i had the same feeling when i first started. i can't imagine teaching a beginner this method, but maybe it's because i haven't done it enough.
my students (i have a group of coworkers i teach at work) were all laughing at me because i couldn't talk or look up and looked like i was concentrating really hard....needless to say, i like to point that out about newbies when i'm teaching them. hahahaa

Lisa_H-Town
06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
is it possible to knit and purl either way within a project, with the same results? Or do the two methods deliver the stitches to the right needle differently? That may be clearer than the way I asked above?

itsjustmeghan
06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
i think it's the same stitches because you go into the stitch the same way, BUT in that video posted above she said she knits continental a LOT looser then she does english. so maybe that's why your purls look so different, because you are knitting them a lot tighter.

Braden
06-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Continental does give you a looser tension, because of the relationship of stitches to yarn to needles. With the English, method, wrapping the yarn tightens up the stitch, with Continental, there is no pull to tighten up the stitch, so of course it is going to be looser. So, Continental might be the solution if you're a tight knitter who knits in the English method.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
That explains why I can't seem to get any tension with conti as compared to English. I thought it was just me.

robynbird
06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
i can knit both continental and english. I prefer english....only because after awhile knitting continental, my right wrist begins to ache. Just the way I grab the yarn. English way is more relaxing to me...something about the wrapping of hte yarn...I don't know. :)

chrislt8
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I've read that many need to go down 1 or even 2 needle sizes when switching from English to Continental to get the same gauge....

But, if you like patterns with a lot of knit and purl switches it is so much easier/faster :happydancing:

I switched to the "sailboat" dishcloth so that my pattern had both knits and purls to practice on - so far I am loving it (even if I am a little clumsy right now :rollseyes: with the needles!)

How's everyone else doing so far?

Braden
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
It's not you. Continental just creates a slightly looser fabric, and you just have to go down a few needle sizes to get gauge, or, like me, just knit a swatch until you get the fabric you want, and then calculate your pattern from there. Good luck!

KarrieLyne
06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
OK, I am starting this too. I really want to learn how to knit continental and these dishcloths are the best!! thanks for posting this Knit-Along!! Great idea!

chrislt8
06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, I spent the night knitting my dishcloth (I am doing this one) http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/patterns-sm/kitchen/Sailboat_Cloth.jpg

It was sailing along fairly well (no pun intended :rofl: ) when I discovered about 1/2 way through the cloth that I must have missed one of the knit rows and had half the design on one side of the fabric and half on the other:doh: Since it was knitting up a little looser than I really wanted I just :frog:it all and am starting over with a smaller needle - oh well, this KAL is all about the practice, right?!

Did figure out how to hold the yarn (for me) and am very happy with the tension consistency I am getting now. FWIW, I am wrapping the yarn once around my pinky then bringing it up between my ring and middle finger and then over the index finger - seems to be working for me with both the knits and purls :cheering:

HopeGrace
06-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I finally learned how to knit using the Cont... style last year. I remember from years ago...learning just to knit...my hands hurt when I did it until I finally got the hang of it and relaxed. I knew when I was learning the Cont...style that it would hurt until I could relax. It took a while...I would knit the old way for a while...then go back to my Cont project.

Now, I can knit Cont without hurting! You will too. Just keep it up!

itsjustmeghan
06-23-2007, 03:19 PM
i got some sugar and cream this morrning and am working on my dishcloth. i got some rainbow color for my kitchen and some blue/green/white for washing my toddler. going okay so far...speeding up a little bit now!

Nobones
06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I can't do the dish cloth as I cannot spend on extra yarn. I can however try knitting squares 'Conti' style.

(A very nice lady sent me some of those dish cloths, but they are soooo soft I've been using it as a face flannel! Opps!)

auburnchick
06-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe those of you who are successfully knitting Continental could post pictures of how you hold the yarn. It's really hard for me to visualize what you're describing.

itsjustmeghan
06-23-2007, 07:30 PM
he you tube video posted earlier in this thread was the most helpful in how to hold the yarn and move the needles. it has finally clicked for me. i'm 3/4 done with my first one!!!
this finger injury is actually helping me learn faster because i can't knit english right now....but continental, all i need to do is hold the yarn on that finger!

Braden
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's a couple of photos of how I hold my yarn for knitting. I wrap it over my ring finger, under my middle finger, and over my index.

auburnchick
06-24-2007, 12:40 AM
this finger injury is actually helping me learn faster because i can't knit english right now....but continental, all i need to do is hold the yarn on that finger!

The Lord works in mysterious ways...;)

Glad you didn't have to give up knitting for a week!

chrislt8
06-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of what is working for me. I am wrapping it around my pinky then up through my ring and middle fingers then over the index...
http://<a href=http://<a href=http://<a href=
(hope I loaded the pictures right!) Chris

chrislt8
06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Nope - let me try again...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/611636038_7a5630ac98.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1425/611636104_2e1579ff2d.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1092/611636112_e7f95288a6.jpg?v=0

chrislt8
06-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh NO! So very sorry...think I have it this time:

madametj
06-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I've already finished and given away my dishcloth. good luck to the rest of you!

chrislt8
06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Congratulations Madametj!!! :cheering:and thanks for starting this KAL - it has been very helpful to me!:thumbsup:

Braden
06-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to specify that when I hold my yarn, I don't hold my finger curved, it's straight, and not that far up. I guess that's from trying to take the photo with one hand and hold the knitting with the other. But, those photos are exactly how I tension my yarn.

auburnchick
06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I've already finished and given away my dishcloth. good luck to the rest of you!

How did you do? Will you keep at it?

auburnchick
06-24-2007, 02:57 PM
What I'm also curious about it how to keep the yarn from coming off of the pointer finger. Mine comes off every once in a while.

Braden
06-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I just keep it in the crease between the first and second and third joint on my finger. That (for me)keeps it where it needs to be.

If you'll look at Chris's photos, than you can see where I keep my yarn feeding off my index finger.

madametj
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Congratulations Madametj!!! :cheering:and thanks for starting this KAL - it has been very helpful to me!:thumbsup:
thank you! i started the KAL for much-needed tips and support, thank you all!:muah:

How did you do? Will you keep at it?

I'm not quite sure. i got pretty confortable with it, but i was so glad to go back to english when i was done, just because i'm so used to english.

i'm having trouble switching between knits and purls, but i think it will just take some more practice. i think what i'm going to do is knit every other project continental until i can drop the english method, or until i decide that i'll just stick with english.:shrug:

auburnchick
06-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm having a bit easier time this go-round. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hold the yarn, but my stitches look pretty even.

I'm thinking about trying to press on with Continental and not allow myself to give in to going back to English style. I'm afraid that I'll never really get better if I don't.

I'll post a picture as soon as I'm done.

Braden
06-24-2007, 09:55 PM
That's exactly what you're supposed to do. Do not let yourself knit English, or you'll completely throw off what you've already learned. Ask me how I know.

chrislt8
06-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know why this is working for me...maybe bacuase I am still fairly new at knitting so am not too set in my "knitting ways" but I am in the middle of a sweater knit English, and have completed my dishcloth in continental (I'll post a pic tomorrow) and seem to have to problem switching back and forth (I am knitting a little of both each night). It is almost like my brain perceives continental as a "new stitch" to learn - it is part of knitting, but just a different technique to the whole. Hope it lasts! :lol: It would be great if I end up feeling equally comfortable knitting both ways!

itsjustmeghan
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
i finished my washcloth. i have to say i really like knitting this way. the biggest challenge? learning how to hold the needles/yarn when i'm doing a knit two together is the only thing (on this pattern) that i thought was weird. i'm going to be watching amy's videos on how to do that ASAP so i know what's up.
once i finish my green gable? i'm going continental! it's going to be a bit of a setback, but i'll be a very quick knitter soon enough. i have some neat yarns to knit scarves with, and some more washcloth yarn, so what better way to practice?

hooray!!!:cheering:

madametj
06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
That's exactly what you're supposed to do. Do not let yourself knit English, or you'll completely throw off what you've already learned. Ask me how I know.

i know your, right. i don't know if i have the willpower to stop knitting english all together right now.

(thats what KALs are for, right?:thumbsup::teehee:_

willowangel
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Oooooh, fantastic - I'm not the only one having problems purling on Continental.... I love knitting like it, cause it's great for my muscle and joint problems not to have to move my shoulder so much - and am trying really hard to purl cause the switch is so much easier between the two for ribbing, but I just can't get it *cry*

So I'm going to work my way through this thread and the videos and hopefully it'll get me going again - I knitted a huge throw in garter stitch and it's second nature to knit continental, much nicer now, but then was on a cardigan that really needed the gauge right, and I knit so much tighter conti style that I left it until the cardi was finished (should have been last night, but then realised I'd done one side wrong and had to frog *cry*).

Will let you know how it goes...
Fi xx

auburnchick
06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's my FO for this KAL...

It's not beautiful, but I don't think it was too bad for the first one I've done totally Continental-style.

It's the Angel of Welcome (http://knitalittle.tripod.com/id1.html) dishcloth.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02306-1.jpg

chrislt8
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Nice job Auburnchick!

Here's mine...think I may do another to practice the tension a little more - kept switching yarn holds through this one ...

auburnchick
06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh, your tension looks good! I, too, kept trying different ways to hold the yarn. It's frustrating!

I'm going to try knitting a booga bag using only Continental. It's only ss, so it will give me plenty of practice. Plus, the felting will cover up any discrepancies in tension.

I'm going to try to cast on for it tomorrow.

madametj
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
beatiful dishcloths you guys!:inlove:

so brave of you purling and all!

Limey
06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks so much for that You Tube thread Chrislt8 - I had seen it before but you jogged my memory about what the demonstrator, Lauralea, had to say about the difference in tension between English and Continental.

Previously, I'd been tearing my hair out, trying to get my Continental tension to match my English knitting and then I heard on the video that if the pattern stipulates a size 6 needle, she uses a size 4 for Continental - she always goes two sizes smaller! What a relief!

It meant no more nearly amputating my left index finger to GET THAT DAMN STITCH SMALLER.:??.:thumbsup::hair::grrr:

All the Best:thumbsup:

chrislt8
06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
It meant no more nearly amputating my left index finger to GET THAT DAMN STITCH SMALLER.:??.:thumbsup::hair::grrr:

All the Best:thumbsup:
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: Glad it helped :thumbsup: would hate to see a sacrifical finger! :roflhard::roflhard:

parislexi
07-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Did you use circular, straight or double pointed needles for the dish cloth 'Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth'?

I've been tinkering around with Continental for past 3 months or so and feel I have accomplished knitting that way, but the purling still feels awkward sometimes.

I'm thinking about doing this one (Coffee Cup pattern), after doing a few of the basic cloth.

http://knittingmemories.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-coffee-cup-cloth-just-to-keep-you.html

Barbara L.
Cincinnati Ohio

auburnchick
07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
That's a cute pattern! I use my circular Options to do flat and circular knitting.

I'm working on the Black Sheep Booga Bag. I've already made one, but I decided to do another one since I have some Noro yarn. I'm doing this one entirely Continental. I figured I should be a pro with Continental knitting after this. I've gotten very, very comfortable with it too.

Finally! Maybe, just maybe I've got this thing down!

madametj
07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Did you use circular, straight or double pointed needles for the dish cloth 'Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth'?

I've been tinkering around with Continental for past 3 months or so and feel I have accomplished knitting that way, but the purling still feels awkward sometimes.

I'm thinking about doing this one (Coffee Cup pattern), after doing a few of the basic cloth.

http://knittingmemories.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-coffee-cup-cloth-just-to-keep-you.html

Barbara L.
Cincinnati Ohio

i used bamboo straights, but those were pretty slow. I might try slicker needles next time.