PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm too stupid to crochet

Renoah
06-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Crochet has always kicked my butt from here to Tuesday. While I can accurately single and half double and double and treble crochet, anything beyond the rectangle causes my brain to freeze up. That became even more obvious to me today when I finished a round of my first granny square...

...and the granny square had five sides. :rollseyes:

Nitaks2
06-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Crochet has always kicked my butt from here to Tuesday. While I can accurately single and half double and double and treble crochet, anything beyond the rectangle causes my brain to freeze up. That became even more obvious to me today when I finished a round of my first granny square...

...and the granny square had five sides. :rollseyes:

You did that too? Well, I was pretty well zoning in the hospital after my Heart Attack in January...with all the meds they had me on, it's a wonder I even knew my name, and which end up was up!! But, I Did that..and I've been crocheting for years!!! So, don't feel bad..try and try again! You'll eventually get it! Oh, and don't do what I did, the first time I attempted a Granny square..for pete's sake don't confuse a sc for a dc, and when it means IN the ring, don't stitch AROUND the ring...- But,that was before my Aunt Linda straightened me out, and got me on the right road...- No, really, it's like THIS...Until earlier, I couldn't purl, stockingnette, OR seed/Moss Stitch out of a paper bag if my life depended upon it..but, with the help of Amy's video, - watched it several times..but, I eventually got it,though...- So, don't give up or get easily discouraged!! - That,along, with just don't do a Joni like I did with the no brainer stuff I told you I Did...

( That's what my cousins and I call doing something REALLY stupid or no-brainer, or you SHOULD have known way,totally better than to do that sort of thing- "Doing a Joni"!!! )

Nita

Yarnlady
06-23-2007, 09:37 AM
:waving:Sounds like your difficulties lie more with reading patterns than crocheting. :teehee: There isn't much beyond the chain, single, double, half double and treble sts. From there it's pretty much combining them to make something.

Reading and subsequently creating something from a pattern in crochet is done the same way it is in knitting. One st at a time. As is so often said here, "Trust the pattern." :teehee:

Here's a great tutorial (http://specialstuff.typepad.com/sugar_bunny_boulevard/2007/05/granny_square_t.html) on GrannySquares. If you have questions in the process, ask. You'll be surprised in a few days after you've mastered it, how easy it is. :star:

Ang_3_72
06-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I crocheted my first baby blanket this year, for my first grandson, and it turned out to have a fifth corner...LOL. Looked more like a hooded towel than a blanket. But he doesn't care.

Nitaks2
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I crocheted my first baby blanket this year, for my first grandson, and it turned out to have a fifth corner...LOL. Looked more like a hooded towel than a blanket. But he doesn't care.

I can't tell you HOW many baby ghans I've done...and only one of the recipients kept the ones I made for her daughter..(And even used them with her son when he was tiny...)...but, my cousins? Well...I had no way of knowing that if it wasn't store boughten, and TOP of the line, it wasn't good enough...I tend to get a better reception for the kitchen stuff I crochet...LOL..
Nita