PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Homespun?

Mommy22alyns
06-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I keep hearing bad thing about Lion Homespun around here - I think several "ugliest" projects were made with it, and a few people mentioned it hurts their hands.

Can you all elaborate some? I know it's a bumpy texture, but there my knowledge ends. I really liked one of the colors and was thinking of working with it, but I like to go in educated! :lol:

paiva
06-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I used homespun once, and never again.

The problem I had with it is that while I was knitting with it, the bumpy bits gather up and you have to keep sliding your fingers down the working yarn to get it to smooth out.
I knitted my first sweater with it just because I knew if it came out yukky, I wouldn't really care.

There are much better yarns to work with in regular yarn speciality stores.

Belphoebe
06-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I've used homesupn on a few projects I knew would get washed a lot...my toddler's sweater, her hat, mittens for my nephew, etc. Emma LOVES her sweater and was so upset that she had outgrown it. Hopefully I'll get another one knit up before winter.

knitbunnie
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I started a baby blanket with some Homespun that I'd found on clearance. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I couldn't finish the blanket because it was such an annoying yarn. My needle kept getting stuck in the loopiness in the yarn and it felt just plain yucky. I would never, ever knit with it again. I do knit a lot and have been knitting for many years, so I've knit with lots of different yarns. This is probably my all-time least favorite yarn.

Bonnie in Toledo

suzeeq
06-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes, the looser spun yarn bunches up around the thread that's twisted around it, but it helps if you knit it on larger needles than suggested. Like 11s or 13s.

ADAllen
06-23-2007, 10:55 AM
At the beginning of this week I was wondering the very same thing. Then I was talking about knitting with one of the girls at work and she asked me to teach her how to purl (which was very flattering since I'm so new at this) She brought in a scarf that she was working on in homespun and frogged it because she wanted it to have stripes.

I taught her how to purl, but of course she was very use to the regular knit stitch and would accidentally knit one or two in the middle of her purl row. Between the squigglyness of homespun, her very loose knitting, and how new she was to knitting, she couldn't see that stockinette had a flat side or tell that her out of place knit stitches were making 'bumps' on the flat side.

Despite having gigantic size 15 needles, she was getting them stuck in the strand of yarn (though I think that it might have partly been due to the beating the yarn had taken from the 5 times she frogged it while we were at work. Lord only knows how many times she frogged it before she knew how to purl)

All that said... it was really soft and cuddly :teehee:

threesmom
06-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I've done a few prayer shawls in homespun, and those I have liked. A sweater, I hated - it just didn't drape - at all. I like a lot of the colors too, so I guess that's the appeal for me. I have actually noticed some colors knit up easier than others - they feel looser, if that makes any sense at all :shrug:. In fact, I'm working on a log cabin for my daughter in homespun, and I'm using a bright green, a bright coral-pink, and a purple (her choice, not mine!! :teehee:) and the purple and coral are fine to work, the green is awful! I have also noticed it splits and frays, and if you want ANY kind of stitch definition, don't use it. I guess my basic thought is: blankets - yes, anything else - NO!

ready2knit
06-23-2007, 11:00 AM
We have a mission at our church and knit prayer shawls for members at the Mayo Clinic. We use homespun. I personally HATE IT!!!! I admit to being a "yarn snob," but this stuff is just awful.

When you knit with it you can hear/feel it creak- that's the only way I can describe it. I think it must be the acrylic. I'm trying to find another low cost yard for the prayer shawls I make, because that stuff isn't worth my time.

I almost forgot, it sheds!!!!! I have to knit with a towel on my lap because I'm coverd everytime I use it!

JoeE
06-23-2007, 11:11 AM
My issue is that the bumps don't let the yarn flow very freely. I feel like I'm fighting with it from cast on to bind off. On the plus side, it's so heavily textured, that it doesn't matter how uneven your stitches are, because no one will ever see them.

I'd rather never knit with it again, but I expect I will, because people seem to like scarves knit from Homespun, and it does come in really pretty colors.

Joe

Calamintha
06-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, if you need another reason not to use Homespun, here's one. It sheds if you machine wash it and dry it. I crocheted a chair throw some years ago out of it and liked it ok. I don't think it's as much of a pain to crochet with as knit with but after a few washings there was so little of it left I threw it away.

Jan in CA
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
It is soft and makes a nice afghan, but if i'm going to all the trouble to knit something I want to be able to SEE the stitches and you can't with Homespun.

KnitClickChick
06-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I actually love Homespun. I have never had any of the problems with it others have mentioned. It makes such cuddly warm scarves, and there are lots of nice colors. I guess it is just a matter of what you like. :happydancing:

itscryttle
06-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I love Homespun... I use it alot in my projects. I recently made a baby blanket with it and it turned out beautiful and is SO soft.

Ingrid
06-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I can't stand Homeshun, either.

It doesn't seem to have any body to it at all. The ends just fray and it generally gives me the creeps when I've knit with it. My daughter asked me to make her a sweater, and she picked out Homespun, and I couldn't finish it.

kaytee
06-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I haven't used homespun, but one yarn I dont like to knit with is Lion Boucle. Has anyone used this, and what did you make? I find it difficult to knit with.

Angelia
06-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I can be yarn-snobby, but I don't hate acrylic. I hate Homespun. It is hard to work with, creaky, and just plain strange. Recently, I found a square I'd knit with it (knit over a year ago), and the yarn felt awful. It's like the longer it sat, the more stiff and plastic-like it became. It was actually slick. It was kinda creepy. Now maybe if it had been washed, the situation would have been different. But, I've never had another unwashed acrylic do that.

redheadrachel
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I've never knit with it, but I did try to crochet with it and got so frustrated that I wanted to stab myself in the eye with a crochet hook...
It was just bulky and awkward to use for me. I think it would be easier to knit with than crochet with, though. That seems to be the case with fuzzier and different textured yarns.

lissalue
06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
i knit with it on size 17 needles, and loved every second of it. It took me around an hour to knit a long scarf/shawl out of a whole skein, and it was soft and cuddly. i think i could have done a blanket in a matter of days, and i probably still will at some point. i say find some on sale and try it. if you don't like it, not much lost, and if you do, then yay!!

brendajos
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I made a scarf for my mother out of it before i really knew better but was just not pleased with it at all. For some reason i still went out and bought a bunch of it to use to make that Hot D*mn afghan.... i knitted with it for a while but got tired of the afghan. when i finally considered getting back to it after having used more quality fibers (quality...not expensive) i found i couldn't stand the feel of it. i can't really explain what it was but it just didn't feel..... clean for some reason. just felt weird. When i reached into skein to pull out the end, it ripped off in my fingers.

I donated the whole lot. i think it had to have been at least...15 skeins.... donated. blech

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I think part of the reason we get sucked into homespun is its glorious colors. There was an outlet near me that sold homespun mill ends, and I tried several different colors, thinking it woul dmake a difference. It didn't. It's horrible. It's super sticky, and impossible to knit with on anything but metal needles. (and then it still sucks). Don't let the colors suck you in like they did me.

Rorshach
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Personally, I liked homespun, when I made my first afghan, and the only reason I don't have it anymore was because it was my first afghan, I had cut off all the loose ends, instead of weaving them, and then washed it. it came apart in a hurry. However, I liked the texture, and the colors. And if I ever come back to a project that I like that I want to use it in, I'll use it again.

samm
06-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I bought Homespun to make myself a sweater. Beautiful purply blue colour! And so soft. AND it didn't feel itchy! Well, I did struggle through the back, changing needles to see if any would make the yarn move. Nope. I found the yarn so sticky that I hated knitting with it. It was laborious, and this simple sweater should have been done quickly. The dog loves the back piece. It's in his crate. :lol: I won't use it again, because I like yarn to move! samm
p.s. I did try again to finish the sweater, before I gave the back to the dog. Second time round I decided it wasn't worth the time and aggravation. Oh well.

knit4u
06-25-2007, 05:11 AM
My experience with Homespun has been mixed. I made a customer a scarf using Homespun with fun fur & she mentioned to me that the scarf shed on her wool coat. That is my biggest complaint about this yarn...I also agree with the variety of shades Lion brand offers with regard to this yarn & therefore making it appealing to use. I also made an adorable poncho using Homespun...I would not wear anything that might cause the yarn to shed.
This yarn can be very frustrating to use & wear! Of course this is just my opinion:pray:
Veronica

Teeka
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I keep hearing bad thing about Lion Homespun around here - I think several "ugliest" projects were made with it, and a few people mentioned it hurts their hands.

Can you all elaborate some? I know it's a bumpy texture, but there my knowledge ends. I really liked one of the colors and was thinking of working with it, but I like to go in educated! :lol:

Thanks for this thread! I've been wondering the same thing for awhile, but didn't think to ask! :rollingeyes:

JamOKnit
06-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I made a shawl with it and although it was tricky to work with and the yarn seemed to split a lot, the shawl came out so cuddly soft! So I guess it's a trade-off.

Quiara
06-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I can't handle Homespun. I thought it looked soft and fluffy and who doesn't want that? It was a nightmare. I never even finished the scarf I was working on. Now that I've used quality yarns (which, again, don't have to be expensive), I don't think I could go back to it. It's not that it's acrylic - even though I use primarily wool and/or alpaca, I admit there are some nice acrylics out there - it's that it's BAD acrylic. It has an almost soapy feel to it, to my hand, and it sticks to itself in ways I can't begin to explain. And many of the skeins I've tried had tangles inside and so I spent countless hours in a futile attempt to wrangle the stuff. All in all, I just didn't find it to be worth the hassle.

lanacelmer
06-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I have used it for a 6 year old boys sweater, a afghan and various hats, scarves. It does help to knit looser that usual so it glides nicely. I really love the way it feels, it keeps its silkyness nicly. My sons sweater has been washed a TON of times and I've never had it shed or turn into a stiff ukky thing. It is still a soft snuggly sweater. I have knit with it on bamboo metal and mylon, and I only disliked the metal, because I was knitting on dpns and they fell out more than the bamboo. I have never had any trouble with "bunching" So, the thing to do is get 1 skein and do a scarf or something just to see if you like it. :thumbsup: Oh, stay away from the non Lion brand stuff that looks like it...(joanns??)... Ecckkky... One touch was enough for me.

MAmaDawn
06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
One thing that I have found with ANY yarn is it's a personal thing. Some don't like wool AT ALL, some are allergic to it or different animal yarns. I have used it several times and it's been great for what I was making....

I wouldn't use it for a stitch pattern, but for a garter stitch scarf or blanket I think it's great...

It's kinda like knitting needles.... I CAN'T stand plastic AT ALL... I prefer metal but not quicksilver or nickel plated... wood is ok, just not my first choice... But there are A LOT of others that LOVE plastic....

I agree to get one skien (they are cheap) and try it. It you like it great! You have another type of yarn to choose from, if not then you didn't spend a lot on it and you can go into it knowing that you may or may not like it and don't have to put a lot of time into it....

cheesiesmom
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I made my DD a capelet out of it and at that time I was knitting english. Hated the yarn; it kept worming and was generally awful. But I received 2 skeins of it in a barn red color that I just loved and decided to knit myself a shawl. I was continental knitting by this time and had no worming problems at all. And although it is acrylic, it is cozy and soft and I've never had a shedding problem. Tho' since I use the shawl a lot, it gets washed a lot and maybe the excess fibers have gone down the drain. I wouldn't use it for much, but I did have two exact opposite experiences. I thought that was strange. And you have to crochet fringe on it, cuz regular fringe does ravel.

knitasha
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Such lovely colors, such icky yarn. Like Hildegard, I was seduced by its looks and betrayed by its character. (There's a lesson there somewhere.) People have been complaining about it for ages; I wish Lion Brand would reformulate it to improve its knitting qualities -- but keep the colors.

Too bad, because a lot of their yarns, some synthetics and blends included, are pleasant to look at and nice to knit with.

SandraEllen
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
colors are beautiful, but my needles kept getting stuck in the loopies. won't use it again.

Braden
06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I've found that I can't even knit with it using my usual Continental method. I have to switch to English, which, if you know me, is a big NO. So, I'm afraid I have to say I hate it.

ElenTikvah
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I actually like Homespun, BUT for very specific reasons. I love it for afgans that are gonna get used a lot! I have made several through the years, and they are still lovely, many washes later.

When I use Homespun, I only knit with two strands on big needles or hooks. Anytime that I have tried to use a single strand or smaller needles, the material produced just doesn't feel right.

Again, as many have said, this yarn is not typically appropriate for patterns to show-off the stitch pattern, as you simply won't see it with Homespun, but for simple patterns it makes the coziest, snuggly afghans.

~Tik

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I've used Homespun for a baby blanket and for a prayer shawl.

GARTER STITCH ONLY is what I've decided for that yarn. Anything else is a waste of time, because you can't see the stitch definition at all.

But, after those two items, I was THROUGH with Homespun. I gave it all to the Prayer Shawl ministry at my church. They can have it!

If I make another prayer shawl, it will be with worsted or sportweight yarn. I think I would enjoy knitting one that way.

meg9
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Homespun was the first yarn I bought in large enough quantity for a sweater project, I was planning on the hoodie on the label. At the time, I thought it was really pretty, and I loved the texture because I thought it would make the knitting look "fancier" :rofling:

I started a child's jumper instead, and after doing left armhole shaping on (ummm) both sides, I scrapped it and had 4 skeins of homespun sitting around for 2 years. Its still in a bag to get donated to the local soup kitchen (they do a knitting group around the year and give their projects as gifts to the people who use their services). I have to get down there and donate it at some point.

I hated the fluff of it, and after a little while, I hated the way it felt in between my fingers. It was the purply indigo color though, I saw a poppy colored scarf in Homespun that a newbie did last winter and thought it looked REALLY pretty, so no, I don't really know what's up with homespun.:??

kashadilla
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
ew ew ew. They should discontinue this yarn. I can't even think about it. I hate the feel of it so much it actually makes me naseous when i touch it. I crocheted one afghan out of it for my mom, and stopped before the length was where I wanted because I hated it so much. It actually completely turned me off to novelty yarns. Since, I always always knit with yarns that are smooth and use more complicated stitch patterns rather than stuff like fun fur. So I guess you could say it shaped my knitting style a bit. But it should still all be burnt.

Knit1Drop1
06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
I started a hooded pullover in the Homespun yarn (the free LB pattern) and I hated the loopiness of the yarn. I thought it was annoying to work with. Will never use homespun again.

(Didn't even finish the sweater but I can't blame THAT entirely on the homespun as there are many non-Homespun sweaters I have not finished, too... :blush:)

gamerchik
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Once upon a time, a yarn monster happened upon me and vomited in my lap. This was extraordinary and magical vomit, however: it was called Homespun.

As I knitted with it, it squeaked, resisted sliding up my needles, and generally felt disgusting and vomit-y. Even worse, the working yarn bunched into a horrific wormlike creature and I spent most of my time trying to smooth it out.

I swore to never use it again, no matter WHAT pretty colors this yarn monster could vomit. Yet somehow, the resulting scarf that I was creating (GS, size 10.5) was absolutely beautiful (and machine washable).

I've heard it's better to use it on big needles for afghans and such...but I'm not sure I can take it.

nonny2t
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't like Homespun because the yarn splits so badly, but I made a sweater for my grandson (see pic)for Christmas year before last with Homespun and he has practically worn it out. He is 7 and told me "the girls at his school love it!" :lol: It has lovely colors and shading, but isn't a very soft knit and like I said it does want to split on you a lot. I would go for it as it can make a lovely item.

suzeeq
06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Is that a basketweave stitch, nonny? I used it in some scarves doing k6, p6 for 6 rows then p6, k6 for 6 rows and repeat. On sizes 11 and 13. Came out pretty nice.

Aliann
06-28-2007, 03:10 AM
I like Homespun too. I remember one time I was doing a swatch for a afghan and was binding off when I noticed how twisted the yarn had become. I thought I was getting the needle hung in the thread that goes around the yarn, I guess not.

gamerchik
06-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Okay, I've just finished that scarf. I was getting so fed up with the yarn bunching up that it really wasn't a relaxing project to knit. But I can't believe how pretty it looks. It's just a simple skinny garter stitch scarf (obviously, I wouldn't use Homespun to show off stitches) but the color is sooo pretty and I have to admit that it knitted up beautifully, despite what a pain it was to use.

In fact, I actually made this scarf as a gift for a friend, but now I secretly want to keep it!!!

Is there any yarn similar in color selection/appearance that won't bunch and squeak???

suziehomemaker
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I have made several garter stitch scarves out of Homespun and I loved it. I think it works well if:

1. you don't knit to tightly
2. you can deal with a few slubs here and there
3. you don't mind shaving it occassionally (it pills from wear like a sweater

The colors are very appealing and my husband loves his scarf. He was bragging to co-workers about how soft it was and I ended up having to make one in White Sox colors for one of them.

Shandeh
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
There is a yarn at Hobby Lobby that is similar, and it doesn't get all tangled like Homespun.

It's called Yarn Bee Fleece Light.
http://www.craftsetc.com/store/department.aspx?dep=20&cat=66&subcat=38
http://www.craftsetc.com/assets/item/product/332213.jpg

gamerchik
06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Suzie: Hmmm. I don't think I'm a tight knitter or anything, but I was using size 10.5 needles, so maybe I should use bigger needles for a larger gauge? The more I look at that scarf though, the more inclined I am to keep it! :P

Shandeh: You ROCK!!! There are some great looking colors on the Hobby Lobby site (I've heard of Hobby Lobby but I've never seen one or been to the site) for that Yarn Bee stuff -- I will give it a try!!! Thank you!

suzeeq
06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't think I've seen Fleece Light at the HL store, but I'll look for it next time I'm there.

Shandeh
06-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Shandeh: You ROCK!!! There are some great looking colors on the Hobby Lobby site (I've heard of Hobby Lobby but I've never seen one or been to the site) for that Yarn Bee stuff -- I will give it a try!!! Thank you!
:cheering: I'm so glad I could help! :)

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 03:58 AM
I hate Homespun. Knitted sweaters stretch from size 8 to size 28 after being worn a few time. Also, I knit 2 lap blankets using Homespun...and after washing and drying a few time...it PILLS terribly and looks AWFUL. The fringe frays and gets wispy & stringy.

The colors are great, and the skein price is affordable...but how affordable is it really in the end? They are now in my Shih Tzu's kennel cab. :shrug:

I hate Homespun. :wall: