PDA

View Full Version : Weaving

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm just starting to venture into the weaving world.

I already know how to spin yarn, so I foresee having LOTS of yarn in my future. (plus I already have a lot in my stash)

When I went to the Rainy Day Creations (http://www.rainydaycreationsinc.com/) yarn shop in Pineville, NC, they had lots of cool woven items throughout the shop. It's so cool to see new yarns being used in interesting ways. They had some GORGEOUS shawls and scarves that were made from sock yarn. Amazing! :inlove:

Here is a link to some of the woven items made by the artist in Pineville: http://web.mac.com/tissageart/iWeb/Site/Weaving.html

They offer classes on weaving, so I think I'm gonna try them out. They also sell weaving looms, but I know I won't be able to afford one.

So, I've been watching auctions on eBay for weaving looms. (I've actually been watching the loom auctions for the past two years, but now I have a fire lit under me.) :teehee:

Anyway, long story short, I won an auction for a vintage loom that was made in the 1950's. It is a table top model, and is in PERFECT condition. (The box was NEVER OPENED!) :shock:

I can't believe I won the auction. This loom will make fabrics up to 16 inches wide, so it will be perfect for making scarves, purses, small shawls, table runners, and placemats. I'm so excited!!!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/606782818_d95ecde8a6.jpg

CindyH
06-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I've been wanting to learn how to weave too. I've been pining for a Kromski Harp, even though I'd rather have something fancier (which I can't afford). I read about that Spears loom on someone's blog - they said it was a good beginner loom and it was nice and cheap. Can't wait to see what you weave on it!

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I got the loom set up and "warped" with threads to make a cotton bath mat. It took a LONG time to put all the threads on the loom, so I think that must be the hardest part of weaving. I'm looking forward to getting the threads tightened up and rolled on the wooden rollers, so I can start the actual weaving!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/623445120_9fe0a725e2.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/623445126_3b04ee1ad9.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1409/623445164_9ac4fe22f8.jpg

Silver
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
That's awesome! Congrats on your ebay win, it looks wonderful! Can't wait to see what you make with it!

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Kristin!:heart:

PaperGirl
06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow! I cant wait to see your progress!

Kaydee
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Cool, I can't wait to see some pics!!

Leah22b
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
:cheering::cheering: Wow Sandy that's great. You will love weaving. Its a lot of fun. Don't forget to post progress pictures.

btw... I love you loom. That is soooooooooooo pretty.

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm still stuck at the same spot, because I need to get Marvin to help me wind it. I don't want to hurt my wrists by twisting it. Also, I need to find some paper to roll up with the threads.
What kind of paper should I use? :think:

Leah22b
06-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd use that brown wrapping paper... I can't remember the actual name, but it comes in a roll like regular wrapping paper, but its cheap and just brown. The color doesn't run if it gets wet and its pretty sturdy and did I say cheap...lol

Good Luck! Have fun!

Shandeh
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I think I have some of that!
(Is it called Kraft paper? or craft paper?)

Anyway, I already started wrapping it last night, with two sheets of printer paper laid side to side.

suziehomemaker
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Perfect timing for this topic!

My mother-in-law just got her hands on a floor loom. Now that you're getting started can you recommend what types of yarn would be best for a gift basket for her?

I'm spinning up some for her to try but I was thinking that I'd order her some yarn online too.

Shandeh
06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Golly! I wish I knew what to recommend! :pout:

I'm just starting by trying with some cheap cotton yarn to make a bath mat. I figure if it messes up, I haven't lost much money, and I'll be stepping on it, so I won't be looking too close!

So, I'm not a good person to ask. :|

suziehomemaker
06-27-2007, 12:35 PM
No worries. You're in a better place than me since I've never tried it. I think I'll just go with some cotton to start with. I've seen special pricing for "unmercandized" and "mill ends", would those be ok for weaving?

Shandeh
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
No worries. You're in a better place than me since I've never tried it. I think I'll just go with some cotton to start with. I've seen special pricing for "unmercandized" and "mill ends", would those be ok for weaving?

I'm not sure. :think:

I do know one thing. You want the yarn on the loom to be STRONG, because it has to be stretched out. I would hate for a thread to break while I'm weaving. That would be a royal pain!

The thread you're running across the threads can be softer though, because there is no tension across the weaving. So, I guess you could give her two different kinds of yarn to play around with.

You can actually weave with any kind of yarn or thread or roving. I just haven't experimented with any of them yet.

Last night, Marvin helped me wind the yarn on one end. I had to disconnect all the threads at the loose end. :-? (I wish the instructions had said that I didn't need to connect the bottom threads when I was first putting them on.) I'll have to put them back on now, and wind up the other end.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1237/639590831_4d91487a9c.jpg

Here's the top bar wound up:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/639590849_74b2e314c7.jpg

Here are the loose ends. I tied them in knots to make them easier for Marvin to hold while I was winding the top bar.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1414/639590875_9961bd3d63.jpg

Now, I have to untie the knots, re-attach the threads, then re-tie knots with just 4-6 threads each. Then, I'll be ready to start winding the bottom bar to get them tight.

Leah22b
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I think I have some of that!
(Is it called Kraft paper? or craft paper?)

Anyway, I already started wrapping it last night, with two sheets of printer paper laid side to side.

Yeah I think its something like that... Ahhh... that should work as well.

It's comeing along nicely! I can't wait to see it when you start weaveing....:cheering:

Leah22b
06-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Sandy's correct you need a strong thread to start the loom, then you can use anything to weave with.

Shandeh
06-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I finally got all the threads tight again.
I plan on doing the real weaving tonight! :cheering:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1318/641541513_f42fc38855.jpg

jeanius80
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
:cheering:yay! can't wait to see your progress

Leah22b
06-29-2007, 09:50 AM
:cheering::happydance::cheering: Woohoo! :woohoo:There is just something soooooo pretty about a loom all set up! Have a great time weaveing. Let us know how its going...

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I can't believe I never posted any more photos about my weaving. I'm still learning, of course, because this is my first try.

Here's more photos. The fabric is much looser and thinner than I thought it would be. I'll probably end up using it as a towel instead of a bath mat.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/678911324_364d228ad6.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1356/678911340_844fe5def4.jpg

jeanius80
07-20-2007, 10:23 PM
looks great!

yarnfreak
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I was wondering how that was going for you. Do you like it? Is it a giant pain, or is it relaxing? I'm all full of questions! lol Looking good, though.

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! :hug:

It's hard right now, but I can see where it will be relaxing eventually. I can also see that it will be good exercise for my arms as I get older. (As if playing organ at church wouldn't be enough exercise.) :teehee:

I made a few mistakes with the setup, because some of my threads are twisted, but I'm learning....and that's the whole point. :)

suzeeq
07-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Good job! I used to weave on a floor loom and I found using crochet cotton for the warp threads works pretty well. There's 2 or 3 different thicknesses, but you want the warp to be a lot thinner than the yarn you use for the weft, unless you want the `towel' effect. I used the thicker Knit-crosheen for warp when using heavier wool for weaving with, but have also used one of the thinner versions.

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Ah! Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Pink Dandelion
08-18-2007, 02:41 AM
I think I'll just go with some cotton to start with. I've seen special pricing for "unmercandized" and "mill ends", would those be ok for weaving?

I've only been weaving myself for a few months, but for almost a year now I've been watching all the beautiful items that the senior weavers bring to the guild meetings and listening to their opinions on what yarns are good for what...

8/2 cotton is a good weight for dishtowels and can be used in both the warp and the weft. 10/2 cotton is a little lighter weight but can also be nice for dishtowels.

5/2 and 4/2 cotton is a little heavy for dishtowels, but is nice for baby blankets and bath towels.

I just finished a scarf made of 8/2 rayon, and it was a little hard and unpromising on the loom, but it washed up BEAUTIFULLY into a soft slinky fabric. I've seen 8/2 and 10/2 tencel used for some really lovely items also.

I've heard really good things about Cottolin (a 50% Cotton 50% Linen blend) but never actually tried it, and it's more expensive than I would put out without a specific project in mind.

While you need to be slightly more selective about what you use as a warp (the vertical threads attached to the loom), you can use just about anything in the weft (the horizontal threads that you weave in).

I have seen hand spun used in the warp, not all of it works, I don't think that singles would work real well, but I know a lot of ladies that have used wool or silk hand spun with a moderate to tight twist for warps.

Leah22b
08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh I wish I had my camera with me this weekend. You would have loved the rug I saw. They used unspun roveing locks to make a big chunky floor rug. It was beautiful.

Shandeh
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I wish you'd had it too! :pout:

Leah22b
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry to be a :twisted: tease :whistle: on that last post, but I wanted you to know you can use other things for the weft as well as yarn. I've seen some with cut up sheets or T-shirts or even towels. You can get some really neat items by using unusual things. :figureditout: Like Fishing line for the warp and plastic bags for the weft. Makes a really cool mat for the front door.

Happy Weaving!:cheering:

Shandeh
08-20-2007, 08:21 PM
I think that explains why most weavers are considered "fiber artists". :wink:

KnitClickChick
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Shandeh - I was just wondering how the weaving is coming along. I began thinking about weaving a couple of years ago. However, the floor looms are really way out of my budget, and I don't think I want to commit to that until I know if I will really like it. There are some looms fairly reasonable right now on eBay -- but I am still not sure if this is something I want to get into. Sooo, I was just wondering how it is going for you. :)

Doodknitwit
10-07-2007, 08:16 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/Franks-Textile-Warehouse_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I don't know if his fibers will wprk for weaving!! He's near Shelby!!

Shandeh
10-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Shandeh - I was just wondering how the weaving is coming along. I began thinking about weaving a couple of years ago. However, the floor looms are really way out of my budget, and I don't think I want to commit to that until I know if I will really like it. There are some looms fairly reasonable right now on eBay -- but I am still not sure if this is something I want to get into. Sooo, I was just wondering how it is going for you. :)
To tell you the truth, I haven't done any more on the craft since I started. I had to set aside when I was removing carpet and adding flooring in my craft room. I've spent the last few weeks setting up the room, and knitting projects for charity. I've also been busy taking photos of my yarn and projects to put them in Ravelry. (www.ravelry.com)

My weaving loom still has that same project on it, and is waiting to be completed. I'll probably get it back out in January, after the holidays are over. :wink:

mullerslanefarm
10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I got that same loom, Sandy! It was my first RH loom.

Shandeh
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Cool!

Waggus
10-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Hey I have one of those sitting in my cupboard! Same box and all, how strange, and here I am in Australia! When you work out how to use it let me know!

Shandeh
10-09-2007, 09:57 AM
If you have the instruction book like I do, you have all you need to get started. Just start doing it, and you'll figure it out like I am. Good luck!

Waggus
10-09-2007, 04:17 PM
If you have the instruction book like I do, you have all you need to get started. Just start doing it, and you'll figure it out like I am. Good luck!
I don't have the instructions, just the box with the loom. I wonder if the instructions are online anywhere? I have wanted to try weaving for ages, which is why I grabbed the loom from my parents place, I think one of my older sisters used it, but she won't be able to help me, that was in the 70's and she didn't really get into it so she won't remember.

Shandeh
10-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Send me your address in a private message, and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.

Shandeh
11-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Waggus, my scanner will no longer work correctly. Please send me your mailing address, and I will forward the instructions that way.