PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh!

Knitting_Guy
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I wound up having to frog my Irish hiking Scarf and somehow during the process some of the yarn became kntted. I wasn't able to get the knots out and had to cut it. I would up losing several yards of yarn. Argh!

Frogging it was bad enough but that was just adding insult to injury.

*sigh* now to start over.

stirsmommy
06-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I wound up having to frog my Irish hiking Scarf and somehow during the process some of the yarn became kntted. I wasn't able to get the knots out and had to cut it. I would up losing several yards of yarn. Argh!

That's the pits!:pout: Hopefully now since you had done so much it will work back at quick speed.:pray:

jeanius80
06-24-2007, 07:28 PM
that sucks! it was coming along so great! i hope it goes quicker the 2nd time around

snowbear
06-24-2007, 07:51 PM
That's the pits.. but if you're like me.. you probably couldn't have lived with the scarf the way it was..

hang in there....

:hug:

dakatzmeow
06-24-2007, 09:56 PM
there there. you'll be glad you did it, even if it was painful.

Inis
06-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Bummer.

Will it make ya feel better to know someone had to rip out a baby bootie THREE freaking times before getting it right? :oo: Pretty sure the pattern was screwed up ... or something.

Jan in CA
06-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh no! Why did you have to frog it? Sorry about the knots..we've all been there. :shrug:

zkimom
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, we have all had to frog something.

It's taken me a long time to not mind having to start a project over.

I'm knitting a tank top and have frogged it several times. I really like the yarn I'm using and I just wouldn't be happy if it wasn't right.

It gets a bit better each time. Hopefully by now I've got the pattern down.

Personally I think a little frogging is good for the soul.

Best,
Susan

Doublereeder2
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Too bad! Sorry! We've all been there! You will be happy you did, even though it is a pain.

Dangles
06-24-2007, 11:56 PM
:cry: Sorry to hear, Mason. But :hug: hang in there. This time you'll make it up twice as fast :D

ready2knit
06-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry about the frogging. After doing that on several projects, I've become a big believer in "life lines." I have a pair of socks I'm working on that I have had to frog several times. Thankfully it's only down to the life line.

Good luck. BTW read your blog and saw you were IA. There's a great LYS in West Des Moines, not too far off 80/35.

suzeeq
06-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I went over and read your blog; I've been to that truck stop a coupla times. The food and the service in the main restaurant's not so great though... O'Doul's Amber is pretty good - tastes like real beer.

laurabee86
06-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I did the same thing, drives me mad!

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 04:21 AM

Hi Mason! Been there, done that! :frog: So sorry to hear 'bout the frog pond!

Is your yarn a wool? Synthetic? If wool or wool blend you could still join in the lost yarn by using the 'spit and splice' method. It is invisible.

Nobones
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Been there, will probably go there again. I had to do the collar on that dressing gown 3 times! And I had to buy extra yarn because like you I lost loads to knots! I bet it will come out lovely and you'll be please with the end result.

GinnyG
06-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Well.....just think how GOOD you'll be at the stitch by the time you finish it (ducking while I hit the enter button):muah:

ironmaiden
06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Poor thing - it looked so nice! I was working on a sweater last week and has to rip it 3 times before getting it the way I wanted it - it's a very unpleasant experience.

dreamsherl
06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
As we frog, so shall we rewind. :hair:

Miss Kittie
06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
:frog: Been their and done that....Sorry
Maybe you should have left it in the rig instead of bring it in the tavern.. Just a thought.:shrug:

KT120
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi Mason! Been there, done that! :frog: So sorry to hear 'bout the frog pond!

Is your yarn a wool? Synthetic? If wool or wool blend you could still join in the lost yarn by using the 'spit and splice' method. It is invisible.

I just spent 3 hours on Sunday trying to fix some knots of my Malabrigo and had to end up cutting the yarn since I got nowhere. So what is this 'split and splice' method that I should learn about?

GinnyG
06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Kaydee
06-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Boo, that stinks. At least you have another chance to make it perfect!

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
I just spent 3 hours on Sunday trying to fix some knots of my Malabrigo and had to end up cutting the yarn since I got nowhere. So what is this 'split and splice' method that I should learn about?

Hi KT! This "join" is called SPIT 'n' SPLICE by some folks because it involves wetting the two ends that need to be joined. (ugh...I use a water, not spit!)

Anyway, Amy (our mother here at KH) calls it a "felted join"...and she has a video for it right here at KH under Basic Techniques under subtopic OTHER. HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) is a link to the page...just scroll down til you see FELTED JOINS. If you get a box that says something about needing to load this or that, just click DIRECT LINK TO VIDEO at the bottom. My video clip loaded up through my Windows Media Player. Most folks have Windows Media Player on their PC.

If you can't get the video to play, basically, here is what a felted join is: you fray the ends of the two yarns you wish to join together. Just aobut 1/2" will do. Then moisten them a little; then lay the moist, frayed ends in the palm of your hand, overlapping them...and then brisking whisk your two palms together, with the yarn ends inside...and VOILA...the two yarn ends will felt together. You may have to re-moisten once, and re-do the magic act...but it will work on the 2nd or 3rd try. I don't wait for the join to dry. When I get to the still damp join...I knit the yarn delicately. They will dry within the knitted stitches on their own timetable.

BTW: this technique does not work with acrylics or cottons.
Just wools or wool blends from my experience. Believe me, I have tried this felted join on all my yarns. But, as you know...we only use wool to felt other stuff. Wool felts. Acrylics and cottons don't.

Hope this is helpful!

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM

:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
:frog: Been their and done that....Sorry
Maybe you should have left it in the rig instead of bring it in the tavern.. Just a thought.:shrug:

Might be a valid thought if the screw up had actually happened in the tavern.

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Just me venting :lol:

I've been so busy with this run to Utah that I haven't even had time to cast it on again. Hopefully I'll have a little relaxing time this evening and can restart it.

merryknitter
06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Mason,
I HAVE to use lifelines with my Irish Hiking Scarf! I've kinda put it aside, because I've started so many other things...LOL!

One time my cables suddenly appeared on the back of the scarf and then once, I repeated a row twice...LOL!

Seriously, the lifelines are the way to go on that scarf! I just got some cheap crochet cotton from Walmart and used that for my lifeline.

Your scarf was really looking great.
Merry:)

Knitting_Guy
06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah I'm going to stop being stubborn and actually use a lifeline this time around.

knittingbrooke
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
what a bummer! i'm sure the finished scarf will be awesome, though. :)

BioTherapy
06-30-2007, 02:27 AM
please try again, you we're doing so well and it was such an inspiration!

Good luck and I hope for your good results.

Eekee
06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
I hate that! Hope it goes better this time.

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I finally got it cast on and started again but have been running so hard trucking around the country that I just haven't had any time to work on it. I've only done 10 rows since I frogged it.

I've been out to Utah, down to El Paso, up to Albuquerque, just this week and am now on my way back to Wisconsin.

Whew.

suzeeq
06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Ohhhh, maybe you can stop at the yarn place you saw last time.... :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Ohhhh, maybe you can stop at the yarn place you saw last time.... :teehee:

I'm hoping to get the chance to run up there, but I'm not holding my breath.

gamerchik
06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I hate to sound like an total noob...but what is a lifeline? :oo::oo::oo:

Jan in CA
07-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I hate to sound like an total noob...but what is a lifeline? :oo::oo::oo:

Under basic techniques there is a video for lifelines.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/../basic_techniques/misc.php)

Rorshach
07-01-2007, 03:10 AM
wow, Mason, you really do make a long haul, well if you're ever out this way to Boise, let me know, I'll come have a few cups of coffee with ya :)

gamerchik
07-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Under basic techniques there is a video for lifelines.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/../basic_techniques/misc.php)

I've been on that page a zillion times and somehow I never noticed that before!!! Thanks so much! :cheering:

cindycactus
07-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Keep On Keeping On Mason! Yesterday I had to frog 10 inches of a sweater back because I was so intent on the pattern I forgot to do the increases:ick: But now I am back on track again.

suzeeq
07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Heee, I did about the same. I'm doing the Pinwheel sweater and thought the pattern has you increasing every other row until you're finished. At 32" across, I'm thinking that's a lot of stitches in each section.... Looked at the pattern and at 24" across, it switches to increases every 6th row. Took out nearly a skein of yarn (had just finished my 2nd one). At least it won't eat us as much yarn as it looked like....

Knitting_Guy
07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Isn't frogging so much fun? :shock:

I've managed to sneak in a few rows here and there. It's starting to look like it's supposed to look again.

suzeeq
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Isn't frogging so much fun? :shock:

Yeah, cuz you get to start over and knit it again. Yay, for more knitting! :rofling:

KarrieLyne
07-02-2007, 01:33 AM
hmmm..i am brand new to this site and I am wondering what this scarf looks like?? I am caught up on the "froging" phrase and I hope I never have to do it, but I fear I will...but that will just make me a better knitter, right =) Please share pictures of your scarf, I would love to see it!!

suzeeq
07-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi KarrieLyne!

Frogging is when you unravel your work - you ripit, ripit, ripit.... like a frog. You can see a picture of his scarf (the first time) here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60729

Cristy
07-03-2007, 08:58 AM

"boooo" to the frog...I remember the first thing I frogged...I swore I'd never knit again...

samm
07-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh Mason, that stinks! Your scarf was so beautiful too. It will be again, I know it. Want to hear my latest? :oo: I bought a skein of a very soft mohair blend to make a scarf for a friend in Wales. Getting ahead on my Christmas knitting. Anyway, I was knitting five rows garter and then a yo row to make a lacey look to it. So easy! I have three little unrippable chunks where I goofed somehow each time. The yarn will not unravel. Just not. I had to cut it each time. Rats.:shrug: Such a simple pattern and such a silly knitter who has been knitting for years much more difficult things that this! :cry: I did about a foot of knitting finally, but the edges were wonky and I gave it up. I still don't understand what went wrong! :pout: Neither does my friend the lys owner who advised me to forget it! :rollseyes: So I bought some Needful soft yarn and knit up the scarf in a couple of evenings. Ready for Christmas giving! Hang in there, friend, your scarf will be. Someday. samm

ArtLady1981
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Now all you Irish Hiking Scarf enthusiasts have got me interested in knitting it, too! Dern. Just what I need, another project! :pout:

It is a fabulous looking scarf, I must say! Someone posted a photo of her completed Irish here at KH...in a Malabrigo colorway...it is TO DIE FOR!!

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 09:34 PM
The yarn will not unravel. Just not. I had to cut it each time.

That's the part that had me frustrated. I hadn't yet run across this problem. It just wouldn't frog without cutting. Very strange.