PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge, NEW CHALLENGER!

Braden
06-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Okay, following discussions with Hildie, it appears that I'll be doing the monthly challenges from now on! She PM'ed me and asked me if I could. Now, nothing is really certain until she or I hear from Amy, but I can't wait to do my first one. I already have July all planned out, but you'll have to wait and see! ;)

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 04:28 AM
:grphug:

Braden
06-25-2007, 09:13 AM
:aww: I think I'll really like doing it, and I hope she'll give me some tips.

Carla1019
06-25-2007, 09:46 AM
:blooby::balloons:Congratulation:blooby::balloons: :star::woot::star::sun::happydancing::cheering::ch eering::balloons::cheering::star::yay::balloons::s un::happydance::woot::woohoo::thumbsup::happydance ::woot::balloons:

Can wait to see what you come up with.

dreamsherl
06-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I know that I'll sound brand new here :??, but could you explain the knitting challenge.

Nobones
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I can't wait to see what you come up with, I'll try and join in if cash allows.

Please no felting!!! Felting frightens me! Mind you so did working with DPN's and that's actually fun!

RitaW you may get a Dalek yet!

Carla1019
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM
knitting challenge is, They will come up with a project that everyone can knit. like a sweater for a tree, for Earth day. a recycling theme by knitting plastic bag together to make a bag. It is just something fun to do, You don' t have to but it is fun.

Braden
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, I Just talked to Hildie, and it turns out that I'm just doing July, and then one of the other mods will take over.

Stiney
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
My vote is for a HP-related July challenge, what with the movie and the book coming out. :teehee:

Congrats, Conti!

Braden
06-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I already had an idea, but that sounds great! I'll have to seriously think about that one. Thanks, Stine!

Nobones
06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't join in that one. Sorry but I hate Harry bleeding Potter.

feministmama
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM

me too :teehee:

Stiney
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Or you could do two challenges, for the people who don't like Harry Potter. :shrug:

Sanibelle
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Me too!

Sanibelle
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I can't wait to see what you come up with, I'll try and join in if cash allows.

Please no felting!!! Felting frightens me! Mind you so did working with DPN's and that's actually fun!

RitaW you may get a Dalek yet!

NoBones -

Felting is fun!!! You can do it. If you make any mistakes when you are knitting, the felting hides it. Throw it in your wahing maching for 15 minutes in hot water and you have a felted item. Try it and if you need any help, just let me know.

Mommy22alyns
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes, Nobones... no chickening out on the felting! :fingerwag: :lol:

The monthly challenge actually got me to try entrelac when I'd been knitting for only two months or so... :shock:

Braden
06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, so many suggestions, I know for certain that I'm going to do July, but after that, who knows :shrug: Hildie said that one of the other mods was taking over after July. Anyway, I have an idea, and I think it'll really get people inspired :)

What is it? Well, we'll just have to wait and see, now won't we? :teehee:

Jan in CA
06-25-2007, 04:32 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

Braden
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey, Jan, any news on who's taking over after me?

*if nobody wants to, I'd be glad to do it :teehee: *

tilllie
06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm not good at waiting....just ask any company that I order yarn from!!! After all, it is only a week until July so you could go ahead and end the suspense!!!!!!!!!:pray:

Braden
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I could, but don't think I should. I'm still in the very final stages of planning, and I was planning on releasing it on the 1st of July, but I may do it sooner.

Just to keep you on your toes :teehee:

Inis
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
The Challenges sound fun. If it's quick, and portable, I may be able to join in the July one.

We're in the throws of moving -- and I packed my stash yesterday :(

redheadrachel
06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm just so excited! I'm really only working on some early Christmas presents, so I avoid rushing to get everything knitted during my Junior Recital semester. I'm not in a hurry for anything I'm doing, so I'm ALL FREE to do this challenge.

I feel cool :D

debinoz
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Congrats, Conti! I'm sure it'll work out fine.

I think coming up with challenges would be hard. No way to please everyone. Example: April: I have no trees. May: Required needle size I didn't have. June: Felting, I'm allergic to wool.

So.... whoever takes over, I wish them good luck, cause I know it's gonna be rough.

jeanius80
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
i think it's great that each month will be challenged by a different mod! congrats Conti on being the first! (and thanks hilde for being so inspirational and fun!)

zkimom
06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Congrats, Conti, on being picked to choose the July challenge. I am looking forward to whatever you come up with.

I think the rules should be that no one is allowed to tell you what NOT to do.

If you don't want to be challenged by the Challenge, then don't participate.

Personally, I think it's a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone for a bit. Who knows? You might gain a skill and learn something new.

I never imagined that I could do an entrelac pattern, yet when that was the challenge of the month, I stepped up and now have a lovely market bag waiting to be felted.

Best,
Susan

Braden
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
The Challenges sound fun. If it's quick and portable, I may be able to join in on this one.

Well, it's portable :lol: . But, there are many quick and easy patterns, which I plan to provide links to, for the technique I've picked.

Jan in CA
06-27-2007, 01:12 AM

:noway: :?eyebrow: :pout:

If you don't want to be challenged by the Challenge, then don't participate.

Personally, I think it's a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone for a bit. Who knows? You might gain a skill and learn something new.

Well said. That's why it's called a "challenge". ;-)

zip
06-27-2007, 01:39 AM
I've not read or seen any Harry Potter because I consider them children's books. I'm amazed that so many adults are fascinated by him.

Apart from that, congratulations Contiknitter! I look forward to learning what your challenge shall be. I like the idea of a regular different member naming the monthly challenge. Where can I vote for that being the new routine? It'd keep things fresh, I'm thinking.

Braden
06-27-2007, 01:57 AM
You'll have to take that up with the mods. :) I think it would be a good idea if different mods (which I am not) did the challenges. I'm just an fill-in for Hildie while the permanent challenger (or challengers) are selected. Most likely it will be a moderator, though.

zip
06-27-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm not active enough to make an actual recommendation regarding the grand scheme of things. In fact, I just edited my post to read "different" rather than "regular." I was thinking "variety of people," but wrote something else entirely. :oops:

aineepooh1
06-27-2007, 02:10 AM
just a thought here but.. there already IS a harrypotter knit along and I betcha they have the HP ... knitting covered.. :think::think:
How about something summery or patriotic....?

Braden
06-27-2007, 02:16 AM
I have good summer knitting all planned! I don't know about patriotic, which would be best. But, it's definately great summer knitting.

It's getting closer! :twisted:

Nobones
06-27-2007, 05:49 AM
I get why you'd want a patriotic KAL, it being the 4th of July soon, but I think that might alienate non US members for that month. Which isn't a problem for me, just something to bare in mind.

Jan I had read to read the first two books to my brothers more than once, and whenever we seem to visit they've always got one of the films on, it's just sicken me of it I think. The books weren't originally meant for children, they were introduced to the adult market first.

I know I shouldn't be frighted of felting but it's something I don't have control over therefore the item will come out any way it bloody well likes not as I want it. Besides I once had an 'accident' with a machine wash dye.... I doubt hubby would let me use the washing machine 'just' to shrink something.

Braden
06-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Nobones, that's exactly why I was a bit wary of a patriotic challenge. I now officially have the challenge picked and ready to go at midnight of the 30th. 12:01 a.m., actually. :teehee:

Nobones
06-27-2007, 06:25 AM
But that's ages away! :cry: I'm not good at being patient!

Braden
06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Hmmm, we might see it sooner. :teehee:

Is it fair that I've already cast on? Probably not :teehee:

Nobones
06-27-2007, 06:41 AM
YOU'VE CAST ON!....... Oh hang on you need to, to make sure the patterns ok and to do a bit just in case WE get stuck and need to ask you. That's why you've cast on right? You are in no way cheating! :teehee:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've chosen and will make a BIG effort to join in. I'm sure you've picked something cool, and I hope you get to do this again. You've got my vote you always make such nice stuff so I think you'd be a good choice to take over.

Braden
06-27-2007, 06:51 AM
I'm about to post it. It's only 3 days away, I don't think that'd matter much. Hildie did once do it 2 days early, so :shrug:

all you mods reading, is that okay?

Nobones
06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Knitting needles at the ready.......... On your marks....

Braden
06-27-2007, 07:16 AM
get set, and go!

Braden
06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
IT'S UP!

Stiney
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I've not read or seen any Harry Potter because I consider them children's books. I'm amazed that so many adults are fascinated by him.

I don't have a problem with reading "children's books" as an adult. I've re-read some of my favorites fairly recently, and some I never read until i was an adult (like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.) The books I liked best as a kid challenged me to think and use my brain and were imaginative and didn't sell kids short, which is why I still get pleasure and enjoyment out of them as an adult.

Disney movies often (though not always) have something for adults as well. :shrug: Lots of adults watch Disney movies with no problem about them being "kid's movies."

I also started reading adult fiction when I was 10, so I guess I've never been reading "age appropriate" material. :teehee:

That's just my reasoning for not writing off something based on intended audience, though. Everyone's mileage varies. :)

But that was totally OT.

Conti, I think you made a great choice on the July KAL! :hug:

Braden
06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Stine! I really liked doing this one!