PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember "VICTORIA" magazine???

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I use to love "Victoria" magazine then they stopped publishing it without any notice. It has been gone for a few years. Today in today's mail I got a postcard announcing it's BACK.:cheering:

I'm going to send in for my first FREE issue and see how it has changed or stayed the same. Anyone else remember this magazine fondly?:rollseyes:

feministmama
06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I remember it. I loved all that lacy stuff and food recipes and all kinds of things. I'll have to check it out and see if the romance is still alive for me.

LibraryLady
06-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh, goodie!

I remember it too! I'll be looking forward to reading it again... :happydance:

What perfect timing. My nesting instinct has been renewed and I'm looking for ideas for decorating. :drool:

LL

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I found this on it too...

http://magazine-directory.com/Victoria.htm

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 03:13 AM
i LOVED that magazine!!! :heart: although, i wasn't too crazy about the changes they made to it shortly (less than a year) before it "died." i wonder if it will be like it was in the beginning or towards the end. i hope they still have their yearly "english/scottish" issue in march. that was always my favorite.

AnaK
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I remember it and still have few issues saved :) I am glad it is back and will check it out :)

VictoiseC
06-30-2007, 10:11 AM
OH MY GOSH! I can't believe it. A BIG THANK YOU for telling us because guess what! I have all these old Victoria magazines in my bathroom and here and there because it announced my name on the cover VICTORIA and I love that. I also loved the magazine even if it was a bit frilly at time. What great news, I can't wait to get it again. I never could figure out why it stopped so abruptly.
Thanks again!:cheering::cheering:

feministmama
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Did you see the recipe on that link? Curried Butternut Squash Soup mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
You can sign up for a FREE first issue. If you don't like it you only have to write "cancel" on the bill and they won't send anymore.

Instead of sending in the post card they sent me I signed up online right here......

http://www.victoriamag.com/Subscribe.htm

I've not renewed a few of my Quilting magazines and even a few of the Knitting ones I never used..so I am looking forward to Victoria magazine to fill the "void" of reading materials.:happydance:

BinkyKat
06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
:wink:I use to love "Victoria" magazine then they stopped publishing it without any notice. It has been gone for a few years. Today in today's mail I got a postcard announcing it's BACK.:cheering:

I'm going to send in for my first FREE issue and see how it has changed or stayed the same. Anyone else remember this magazine fondly?:rollseyes:

OMG!!!! I LOVED that magazine!!!! I haven't seen it for years and shamefully bought/subscribed to it and mostly for the pictures. :oops: I didn't have the heart to throw any away so the ones I have are downstairs. I have to check into seeing if I can get hooked up again! I too loved it more in the first years.
GLEEEE!!!!!:heart::hug::heart: Thanks for sharing!!!!
I also love TeaTime magazine...anyone? I swear I was born 100 years too late:wink:

Quiltlady
07-01-2007, 04:46 AM
I too would have made a good victorian lady. I love movies showing that Guilded Age.

KnitClickChick
07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
:wink:
I swear I was born 100 years too late:wink:

Me too!!! I LOVE all things old fashioned. How I wish parasols and big fancy dresses would come back in style! I have a beautiful, lacy parasol type umprella my boyfriend brought me from Europe. I really want to use it, but I feel too silly to use it around here where I live. I would loove to wear a nice fancy gown. I wouldn't even need to buy a bustle, I have a natural one! :rofl:

I read Victoria once, and then never saw it again. I'm going to have to get a subscription -- this is great news. Thanks for letting us know!!!!!

VictoiseC
07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I was an actress for a while because I loved to dress up in those dresses! Not that I got to do it too often. Curried Butternut Soup! sounds yummy. Thanks Quiltlady for the link, I'm going to sign up now!

Shandeh
07-04-2007, 03:23 AM
I was a DEDICATED fan of that magazine, and still have every single issue I ever bought. If I ever get stressed out, I just pull out one of those magazines, and I feel at peace again.
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
About 3 months ago, I signed up online to be notified when it starts back. I'm READY for new issues this Fall! :thumbsup:

Lady Violet
07-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I was a DEDICATED fan of that magazine, and still have every single issue I ever bought. If I ever get stressed out, I just pull out one of those magazines, and I feel at peace again.
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif

:roflhard:
i'm so glad i'm not the only one! they just don't make them like that anymore. my grandmother actually got it before i did. it got to the point where i would go over and "permanently borrow" the new issue before she even got to look at it! :oo: she finally just switched to address to my house. i refuse to get rid of any of them. they're a haven. :angelgrin:

zip
07-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I think Shandeh only imagines that she has every issue. Surely I stole one or two from her because I know that I've read them.

BinkyKat
07-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Granted movies don't show how it really was, but I drool over the costumes in North and South. I am also enamoured of the styles in Pride & Prejudice, Emma, etc.
I found Victoria totally by accident my first year in college. I was liking Art Deco style but for some reason when i saw that magazine, my hear jumped for Victorian styles. But, I also like the shabby chic-ness of the teens to the 30's.:heart:

My mom took me to The English Rose Tea Room in Phx a few years ago...I would love to own a shop like that.
Here is TeaTime magazine, by Sounthern Lady
http://www.teatimemagazine.com/

Shandeh
07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I think Shandeh only imagines that she has every issue. Surely I stole one or two from her because I know that I've read them.:teehee:

Inis
07-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I found this on it too...

http://magazine-directory.com/Victoria.htm

Thanks for this link. I, too, got a card. Of course it got put in a "safe place" for the move, but I haven't found it yet.

Another magazine I truly miss is Country Sampler Decorating Ideas. I have saved all my copies and actively look for issues I don't have at garage sales and flea markets.

victoriarose
07-28-2007, 08:24 AM
I am totally fascinated and obsessed with anything from the Victorian, Edwardian, and Regency era's! Victoria magazine was a BIG inspiration for alot of my pre-marriage/kids home decorating ideas. My mother owns an antique shoppe in Kansas City and when I get a chance to visit, It's almost like taking a step back into time. I have alot of Victorian links on my blog for anyone interested.

SusanMarie1956
07-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I use to get that magazine a LONG TIME AGO!
Susan

Quiltlady
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Has anyone received their first copy of this or read any thing about it? We should be getting them in the mail any time if they are sticking to their Fall mailing. Can't wait to see the magazine again.:woot:

PurlyGyrl
09-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I love Victoria--sent the card in dog years ago-haven't heard a thing so I guess we should all Crossed Fingers

Shandeh
09-28-2007, 03:16 AM
I'm anxious too. Every time I go to the bookstore, I stare at all the new magazines to see if it's there yet. I'll be PEEVED if it doesn't get mailed to me before it hits the shelves.

Stonington
09-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm anxious too. Every time I go to the bookstore, I stare at all the new magazines to see if it's there yet. I'll be PEEVED if it doesn't get mailed to me before it hits the shelves.

It may be a few weeks longer.. this is what I found on their website. :hug: anne
http://victoriamag.com/Images/VictoriasBackOver.jpg (http://victoriamag.com/#)

Shandeh
09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I wonder if it will be the November issue or the December issue?

Because if it's the November issue, it would come out in October. :teehee:

I've always thought it was so odd that magazines and cars come out ahead of time.

For example, they were already releasing the 2008 cars back in February of 2007. Weird.

To me, it should be a 2007 model since it came out this year. :???:

Stonington
09-29-2007, 08:16 AM
I wonder if it will be the November issue or the December issue?

Because if it's the November issue, it would come out in October. :teehee:

I've always thought it was so odd that magazines and cars come out ahead of time.

For example, they were already releasing the 2008 cars back in February of 2007. Weird.

To me, it should be a 2007 model since it came out this year. :???:

This is a quote from the website:

"The endearing charm of the gentle, romantic life captured so vividly in Victoria magazine returns, following the announcement that Hoffman Media will relaunch the much beloved magazine in November, 2007."

Not sure if this helps or not.

anne

Lady Violet
10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
IT CAME IT CAME IT CAME!!!!!! :woot:
silly me. i still haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. :teehee:
it's the november/december issue and says "volume one, number one." clean start, eh? (no, i'm not canadian.) the typeface they used for "victoria" across the top is like the orginal typeface they used back in the good ol' days before they changed the format. here's hoping! Crossed Fingers
i have to take the dog to the groomer, so i think i'll wait to look at it until i get back. once i get started, there's no putting it down. back before the long hiatus, after getting it out of the mailbox when i got home from work/school, i would look at every single page from back cover to front (oh yeah, i'm that strange :cool:) before even getting out of the car. i'll give my opinion once i've looked it over. :)

Lady Violet
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
i am happy to say that it looks just like it used to, even down to "calling cards"! i always loved looking at all those unique cards.

cloud9

Shandeh
10-16-2007, 12:08 AM
You're so lucky! I wish I could look over your shoulder!

I hope I get mine soon :pray:

Stonington
10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Mine came last night! I have not finished looking through it yet--but love what I have seen so far. :)

anne
n. sebago, me

PurlyGyrl
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
:woohoo:Looky Here:

VictoiseC
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
hmmmmmmmm where's mine??:nails:

Shandeh
10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/8.gifI want mine too! :pout:

Quiltlady
10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I just got mine in today's mail. :muah:It's like Old Times~~~ If you liked it "then" you'll love it now. I am going to subscribe. It feels like a real "treat" sitting down with this beautiful magazine again.:yay:

BinkyKat
10-23-2007, 12:36 AM
I was gone for a week and thought for sure I'd have one too.
:pout: No such luck...
But just like we find it odd that subscription magazine's come so early for some holidays, I am equally impatient when I don't get one I am waiting for! :doh:

waitingwaitingwaitingwaiting :poke:

Shandeh
10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I hope you get yours soon, Jodie. :pout:
I finally did get mine last Friday. :cheering:
Of course, I had to put it away and wait to look at it, because Marvin's son, daughter, and granddaughter were coming for a visit that night. So, I was a crazy woman, running around all over the house, cleaning up and getting things ready for them.

I finally got to look at it when they were all settled in.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/1632955518_720594fc5d.jpg

BinkyKat
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
hee hee, the pictures of the magazines are like seeing the "roaming gnome" get his pic taken in various locations! :teehee:
I double checked the website since I had put my name on "the list" back in June and they still had to info. It said they should mail by late Oct. so I suppose they do it in shifts.
I'm so excited! It's such a lovely thing!
:thumbsup:

VictoiseC
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Geez... I was cleaning up some piles of magazines on the floor yesterday and AT THE BOTTOM I found my new Victoria in the package... it had arrived but my DH! put it down without telling me and it got buried. grrrrrr

I think I'll wait to open it though til it's a little closer to Christmas ha.

Shandeh
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Bad hubby! Bad hubby! :teehee:

BinkyKat
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Bad hubby! Bad hubby! :teehee:

Yeah so, here's my situation...Mine actually came last week. I've been home since Sunday. DH came upstairs last night and gave me Victoria, my latest TeaTime and an Oriental Trading Scrapbooking catalog....:wall:

But alas, :cheering::heart::cheering: happy happy joy joy!