PDA

View Full Version : Where are you going on Vacation and are you taking your knitting?

dancemom
06-29-2007, 02:53 PM
:guyknitting: We are going to TN and I plan on taking lots and lots of yarn. I love to knit on vacation! What about you?

Robinknits
06-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I've already been on vacation and yes I took my knitting. We flew to Virginia to visit family. I took a baby blanket I'm working on to knit on the flights. I also took some cotton yarn with me and made a couple of dishcloths I gave away while I was there. My knitting goes with me everywhere!

dancemom
06-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I am going to take along dishcloth patterns. They will be easy to do in the car. And easy to deal with in the hotel too. We come in from long days out and I look so forward to laying on the bed relaxing and knitting.

Chel
06-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I tend to plan my vacation around what yarn stores I want to visit.

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I took mine on a short trip to NYC a couple of weeks ago and plan to load up for a road trip to North Carolina in September (I'm in MA).

:D

JamOKnit
06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Already took mine on a road trip to NJ and planning a week-long knitting marathon at the beach on Hatteras Island, NC at the end of August!!! Yay!!!

Silver
06-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Uh.. why wouldn't you take your knitting on vaycay? I take mine almost EVERYWHERE! :D

DH and I are going to Tampa for The Police concert next month. We're taking the train there n back. I'll be knitting all the way... (well almost all the way. We have a private roomette.) :wink:

feministmama
06-29-2007, 04:10 PM
DH and I are going to Tampa for The Police concert next month. :wink:

Really! I didn't know they had reunited for a tour. That's cool. Have a good time for me too.

I'm going to MA to visit in August. It's looooong flight from Oregon so you *know* I'm bring something. Maybe even a couple of somethings. And maybe I can get to WEBS and get even more yarn! WE'll be at the cape though so that's like 3 hours in the car. Eh, maybe I'll knit on the beach!

debb
06-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll be going to Maine in August. I always take my knitting with me now and I'm hoping to vist an alpaca farm as well.

Saw THE POLICE last week, lots of fun and Sting must have the tightest buns of any 55 yo man (had seats behind the stage, so I coudn't help but notice) :whistle:

nonny2t
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
We are leaving August 29th for Las Vegas for a week and I cannot wait. We have been planning this trip for a year since my dh's open heart surgery last Sept. We have front row seats to see the Cirque du Soleil show "Love" which is all Beatles music and I am really looking forward to. Any of you other older ladies collect Beatles' cards when you were kids??? I had a whole stack that my mom gave away to a cousin around the time I was 12 or so!!!!! I can't even imagine how much those would be worth now! I am definitely taking knitting as the plane ride from Atlanta is 5 hours! Depending on what is done and what isn't, I may take another booga bag I am going to start for my dd for Christmas, my oldest grandson's sweater and matching hat I am making him for Christmas and possibly a sweater I am going to try and get finished for my husband for Christmas.

Hope everyone who is traveling has a great time this summer!:cheering:

nonny2t
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll be going to Maine in August. I always take my knitting with me now and I'm hoping to vist an alpaca farm as well.

Saw THE POLICE last week, lots of fun and Sting must have the tightest buns of any 55 yo man (had seats behind the stage, so I coudn't help but notice) :whistle:

Ooooh sitting behind Sting! :inlove::roflhard:

Stiney
06-29-2007, 08:11 PM
:ick: Police :ick: Sting :ick:

Going: Outerbanks (North Carolina)
When: Tomorrow
Bringing: Central Park Hoodie I'll probably not be knitting on the actual beach, but there will be plenty of time for that in the evenings, especially as two of my aunts knit and so does my grandmother. :teehee:

1knittychick
06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
We just got back from Gulf Shores, AL after a beautiful week of sun. Worked on my baby bib/burp cloth set.

MomMom
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Hello All, As well as DanceMom, I plan on taking dishcloth projects. My son is getting married in Las Vegas in October ... and since I'm not much of a gambler or even the wildest partier ... I'm guessing I can get quite a few dishcloths finished. I actually started making baby animal patterned dishcloths ... and will be joining them to make one large baby blanket. I hope all of you enjoy any free time that may come your way, whether it be vacation or just a lazy evening or two this coming summer.

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Really! I didn't know they had reunited for a tour. That's cool. Have a good time for me too.

I'm going to MA to visit in August. It's looooong flight from Oregon so you *know* I'm bring something. Maybe even a couple of somethings. And maybe I can get to WEBS and get even more yarn! WE'll be at the cape though so that's like 3 hours in the car. Eh, maybe I'll knit on the beach!

Totally off-topic, but I grew up on the Cape :D.

Doodknitwit
06-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I tend to plan my vacation around what yarn stores I want to visit.
doesn't everyone :shrug: yeah baby :eyes::woohoo:

Doodknitwit
06-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Ooooh sitting behind Sting! :inlove::roflhard:
rigghhhhhhhhhhhht!! we can look :psst:

debb
06-29-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm going to guess that you're quite a few years younger than me, but wayyyy back when there was the 70's and even worse, 70's music throughout high school, so when bands like The Police came along it was exciting. Much the same reaction that I got when The White Stripes came along a few years ago.

traceleighj
06-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I leave for Indianapolis on Tuesday (God willing NWA doesn't cancel my flight!) and I am having trouble deciding what project to bring. I am working on a sweater for myself as well as a baby sweater and hat set (it has to be done a week after I return).

The only problem with the baby set? I am going to Indy to meet my new nephew and I am sure my sister will think the set is for the new little guy.:grin: I didn't knit him one because she did her own and I am doing a cross-stitch birth announcement for him.

The last time I went to visit, I knit all through the airport and the flight. I swear it only took 30 minutes....not 90.

auburnchick
06-29-2007, 11:52 PM
We're going to a soccer tournament the end of July. I'll be in-between college terms (I take classes), so it's going to be my mini-vacation since I've only taken one day off since school (my other job) got out.

I'll probably take sock yarn, if my new dpns come in. I can't wait! No papers to write...::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::

AnaK
06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
MY DH and Ds are going to see Police concert this week in Chicago. My Ds is 15 and loves Police and Sting and also new bands.:)
For vacation w are going to Nova Scotia in August and I am taking Knitting. Also I am hoping to get some of the Fiber Artist yarn while I am there :)

Eloewien
06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Not really going anywhere this year, but I always bring knitting and WIP's when I travel.

AnreeAce
06-30-2007, 11:24 AM
My husband & I just got back from a 10-day road trip from Oregon to New Mexico and home through California. I took socks with me, a very simple pattern.

I didn't get as much knitting done as I thought I might, because the scenery was so amazing, but it sure was fun!

DH even made a special trip to Taos NM so I could visit La Lana Wools (http://www.lalanawools.com/index.php). What a guy!

GinnyG
06-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm headed to Edisto Island SC in August and will absolutely take my knitting. Not sure What but know I will!

Lieke
06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll go to the UK this year. I think I'll take only small projects with me, so that'll be a lot of sock knitting. I'm already looking forward to it :happydance:

kellycarr05
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I went to TN to the Smokey Mountains.....I did bring my knittting and knit anywhere I had time. :cheering:

Carrie218
06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I travel extensively - some business, some pleasure. My business takes me to Panama every other month or so and I can't tell you how odd it feels to be knitting some heavy, cabled sweater when the temperature is 90+ degrees with 90% humidity!

My big vacation starts in mid-September for six weeks in France and I have already decided to learn how to knit socks so that I can take smaller projects with me (I never check baggage so it has to be something I can carry on and keep with me).

rainberry
06-30-2007, 02:12 PM
This year we are going to northern Wisconsin and northern Minnesota for vacation (in 2 weeks) and it is about 6 hours away and I just got some sock yarn from my grandma so I will be making socks for me. (ONline Supersocke - cotton/wool/nylon) I wanted to go to Kentucky to see the horses but oh well.

Sanibelle
07-01-2007, 08:13 AM
I have 2 vacations coming up.

The first is just a quick trip to Big Canoe, GA to see my family. I am going there a month from today. My parents rent a house there for the summer. My brothers and their kids live in Atlanta and we will all be there for 5 days. I can't wait to see the kids! They are so much fun. It tried to teach my neice ( now 9) to knit last year but I think she was too young so we are going to try again this year.

In September I am going to Europe with my mom on a cruise that starts in Amsterdam and ends up in Rome. I have a lot of family in London, and I have never met most of them. The cruise stays overnight in London and my one cousin that I have met is planning a reunion so that I can meet everyone. I can't wait!

I have a lot of people that I knit holiday gifts for so that is what I will bring with me. The flights are 10 hours so I am sure I will get a lot of knitting in then. And we also have 2 at sea days where I am sure I will have time to knit by the pool.

Jan in CA
07-01-2007, 12:04 PM
We can't afford to go anywhere this year so I'll be taking my knitting in my backyard and listening to the birdies sing. Fortunately I live in southern CA so it's pleasant nearly year round. ;)

Silver
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah! DH and I were so excited to hear they reunited for a tour. He's always been a huge Police/Sting fan.

Saw THE POLICE last week, lots of fun and Sting must have the tightest buns of any 55 yo man (had seats behind the stage, so I coudn't help but notice)
Yes, he's not bad for a guy almost as old as my dad. :heart: This'll be our second time seeing Sting. Saw him in concert a few years ago... what a GREAT show!

Uh.. Stiney is NOT 100% correct this time. :-?

Stiney
07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm going to guess that you're quite a few years younger than me, but wayyyy back when there was the 70's and even worse, 70's music throughout high school, so when bands like The Police came along it was exciting. Much the same reaction that I got when The White Stripes came along a few years ago.

Yeah! DH and I were so excited to hear they reunited for a tour. He's always been a huge Police/Sting fan.

Yes, he's not bad for a guy almost as old as my dad. :heart: This'll be our second time seeing Sting. Saw him in concert a few years ago... what a GREAT show!

Uh.. Stiney is NOT 100% correct this time. :-?

:oops:

My dad and stepmom both love Sting and the Police. His voice is like nails on a chalk board to me. :shrug: I sowwy. I like the version of Roxanne from Moulin Rouge. :teehee:

I like classic rock from the 60's and 70's, and very little from the 80's. :shrug:

And I like the White Stripes, but not as much as the Raconteurs. :teehee:

mulene
07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I THINK I am going to Ireland in Sept / Oct. Depends if mum decides to go or not. IF she wants to visit the rellies again I'll take her, drive for her and knit for me at every chance I get =D

One of my cousins has a sheep farm, I was surprised to find in May. When I told them about spinning and knitting they said they would save a fleece for me. Can't wait to see it and meet the sheepy it came from!

debb
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
One of my cousins has a sheep farm, I was surprised to find in May. When I told them about spinning and knitting they said they would save a fleece for me. Can't wait to see it and meet the sheepy it came from!

That sounds like fun! I'm going to Maine next month and I'm hoping to visit an alpaca farm- those critters look so cute and I loooove alpaca yarn.