PDA

View Full Version : What Equals What? Computing grams to ounces.

Lighting57
06-29-2007, 08:43 PM
OK, I need help. I wasn't taught how to convert standard measures into metric. I would appreciate it so much if patterns would list the total amount needed for making the item in ounces along side the listed amount of grams. Then I could easily figure how many skeins I need and whether or not the amount of yarn I see on ebay (that I wish to bid on) is enough for the pattern I want to make.
Help!

kaytee
06-29-2007, 08:49 PM
28 grams= 1 ounce.

kristinw
06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I find that if you just google "grams to ounces" you will find a bunch of converters. I hardly know the metric system at all. Such a strange American quirk.

Lighting57
06-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Thank you both.That helps. Why anyone would rather use metric over standard is beyond me. Numbers that divide easily into 100 makes more sense to me than having to deal with with fractions.:??

OkayKnits
06-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I'd like to add that Google can convert actual numbers for you so lets say you want to convert 50 grams to ounces, you would type in "50g to oz" (without quotes), out pops 50 grams = 1.7636981 ounces

redwitch
06-29-2007, 11:17 PM
You mean standard over metric! Do you guys really call it 'standard'? For me metric is standard... I also love the logicalness of it. The word 'decilitre' is never used in English in my experience but if you are familiar with the metric system you immediately know what it is without having to look up a random or arbitray amount.

suzeeq
06-29-2007, 11:18 PM
It's better however to use yardage or meter measurement to figure how much yarn you need. The oz/gm weight can vary from yarn to yarn, even yarns that weigh the same may have a different yardage.

Limey
06-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Susieq said:

It's better however to use yardage or meter measurement to figure how much yarn you need. The oz/gm weight can vary from yarn to yarn, even yarns that weigh the same may have a different yardage.

I find some technically correct metric terms unusable - somehow saying 'metreage' just doesn't cut the mustard.

For a few years, it was illegal here to sell bananas by the pound - you had to buy them loose or in kilos. :?? Seems the EU has relented and we can all go back to peeling our pounds.:happydance:

All the best and thanks for the info.

suzeeq
06-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I find some technically correct metric terms unusable - somehow saying 'metreage' just doesn't cut the mustard.

Heh, yeah. I couldn't figure out how you'd say that.....

redwitch
06-30-2007, 09:14 AM
How about 'kilometerage' instead of 'mileage'? (we'd say 'high' or 'low kays' instead of 'high miles/low mileage')?

Lighting57
06-30-2007, 10:45 AM
If I had been raised in a country that uses the metric system, I'm sure I would better understand it than I do. School touched on it lightly, but to no degree prior to my graduating. At my age (49) I don't want to be bothered with having to stop and figure it out each time I look at different yarn types, etc.

My hat is off to those of you that can quickly compute it.

Another question: Is there a reason why most better yarns are sold in small 50 gram balls other than $$$? I'm thinking that if the balls or skeins were larger there would be less knots to tie in our knitting.

A good weekend and upcoming July 4th to you all.
Sandra from SC

suzeeq
06-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I guess you haven't yet encountered 50 g balls with a couplathree knots in them....

redwitch
06-30-2007, 09:18 PM
50g balls having knots doesn't change the fact that bigger balls would mean fewer knots. Imagine if wool were sold in 400g lots instead of 50g balls, what do you do when you only want/need 30-80 grammes? I think it's their preferred happy medium between being able to get what you want without having to buy too much extra, and not fiddling with tiny balls. Don't tie knots in your knitting wool: you might like the felted join (spit and splice) or the Russian join?

The metric system is actually really easy to remember. Once you know how big a metre is, you know all the rest, because the 'kilo' prefix means one thousand, for every unit. So kilometre = 1000 metres. Kilogramme = 1000 grammes. Kilolitre = 1000 litres (not that I've ever heard the word kilolitre used) In metric, you know exactly what the term means even if you have never heard it before, and you can work out what it is even if you've never heard it before. Milli = 1000th, so a millilitre, a milligramme, a millimetre, easy. Deci = 10th, centi = 100th. Decilitre... centigramme... micrometre...

Say you worked out something that changed science as we know it and it was measured in units of Sandra (200 Sandras, like 200 Watts).
We would all know how many sandras were in a kilosandra... a microsandra... a centisandra... without having to learn like with yards, feet, inches, pounds, ounces.

Interesting facts: a 'metre' is defined by being a certain number of wavelengths of a particular light, and there is a piece of metal in France that is the archetype- the DEFINITION- of a kilogram (possibly the best thing to come out of France besides wine. Wait, brandy, cheese, perfume... never mind).

KnittingNat
07-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Here we measure everything in the metric system and it's simply a state of mind. When i take something into my hand, i can predict approximately how much will it weigh in kilos, i would never be able to do that in pounds. The same with meters - i can say how many meters something is away from me, but never in feet. I guess when we're used to something from childhood, it's stuck there. The same with languages. Our mother tongue has a certain view of the world through the tense system, but when you learn another language, you experience a different view of the world through a different grammar. I saw it a lot during my degree studies (literature and linguistics). I find it difficult too to convert weight and meters from the US and UK sites. But that's what Google is for :cheering:

misha rf
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Trying to figure out conversions makes me :eyes::hair::zombie::ick:

I'm horrible at math. There are days when I wish we used metric like they said they were gonna do (back in the 70's, if I recall correctly...but I was rather young then, so I can't say for sure).

So I use this:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm