PDA

View Full Version : Gauge problem

Nobones
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Hello people, I am having a gauge problem and was wondering if anyone could help?

I have the correct amount of dc per inch width wise, but too many rows. If I change I don't the right amount of stitches width wise.

Could I be too lose with my tension? Has anyone else had this problem.

robynbird
06-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I"m no help...I've not made anything that required gauge. :(

marykz
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I think the opposite may be true- if you are pulling the stitches too tight, you might not be getting the height for a double crochet as opposed to a single. When you make the gauge swatch do you flatten/ stretch a bit to even out the stitches before you measure? I don't mean pull within an inch of its life, but just tug a bit into shape? When I crochet things look bunched up and uneven until I give them a proper yank to get in line....

mwedzi
07-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, the gauge you are trying to match is just one person's gauge. Maybe they are the ones who are too tight or loose. Or maybe it's not a matter of anyone being too tight or loose, just individual differences. I rarely can match both stitch and row gauge, for either knitting or crochet, so I just look at the project and decide which is most critical, matching stitch or row, and that's what I match to, and modify as needed for the other.

aineepooh1
07-04-2007, 01:46 PM
do you need to switch hook size?? maybe a larger hook since there is too many rows? if you need expert advice.. go to crochetville.org . they have a "crochet clinic" that has been a big help to me~