PDA

View Full Version : What kind of knitting bag do you carry?

1knittychick
06-30-2007, 04:34 PM
If this has been tossed around before, please forgive me. What kind knitting bag do you carry? I've checked out Jordana Paige and before I purchase one, I'd like to compare. Thanks!

Quiara
06-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a tapestry tote bag that I picked up several years ago for about $5. It's worked really well for me. It has external pockets for patterns, needles, stitch markers and the like and plenty of room inside for YARNZ. ^_^

jeanius80
06-30-2007, 04:58 PM
i have a bag i got from kmart for about $15.it has one large main area with a zipper, and little pockets inside, perfect for pencils and do-dads, and 3 outside pockets which work well for my "purse" items (phone, keys, diapers). lots of room, and very comfortable to carry.

auburnchick
06-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Here's (http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?colorid=50&sku=116PAS07%3a50&) what my in-laws got me for Christmas. It's a Vera Bradley. It's not exactly my pattern but close.

I really like it because I can just throw everything in it without a problem.

brendajos
06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
oh my...lol.

Every bag i carry is also my purse so it has to be big enough to carry my knitting and everything i need for the day in it. I CURRENTLY am carrying a pink and purple cammo backpack that i got for the Stitch n Pitch. Knitting stuff goes in the big pocket and everything else in the other one.

I have the Jordana Paige messenger bag (the pink one of course...lol) and i loved using it... i am a little over it now, and it is definitely worn out!

I also have a silk embroidered lantern moon bag. Beautiful but just not big enough these days.

hrmm.... ooh and I have a green mountain knitting bag. Lime green with raspberry dots.... loverly

plus about 100 purses i think ;)

debinoz
06-30-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a plain old canvas tote in navy and tan, from wally-world. I think it was on clearance for $4.

Doublereeder2
06-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I like my KP bags.

snowbear
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Last August, when all the back to school stuff was out.. I checked out the back packs. I watched them.. then.. found a denim messenger type bag.. I fell in love with it.

It has extra pockets, cleanable, (washing machine, gentle), zipper pockets, and lots of room for yarn.

I love it.

it cost........$9.95..

1knittychick
06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
doublereeder, I'm dumb--what's KP? Thanks for your help.

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2007, 07:21 PM
This is my main knitting bag http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/073633.html

I also have an olive green military messenger bag I use for carrying smaller projects when I don't want to take the whole thing. The big bag usually stays in the truck unless I'm in a hotel or at home.

Braden
06-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I have a huge black zippered bag with lots of compartments from Harriet Carter (http://www.harrietcarter.com/) It's big enough to hold 2 sweaters in progress, or an afghan. I took it to the hospital when I stayed with my grandmother and I used it for a suitcase. I could fit about 5 days worth of clothes into it.

vmdeangelo
06-30-2007, 09:43 PM
i have a tan namaste knitting binder and a drawstring knitalong bag. The namaste bag has two pouches, 2 knitting needle holders, i put my patterns in plastic cover that go where the binder clasps are. It keeps them from getting crumpled like they usually would in a knitting bag. Then the drawstring holds my project when its too big to fit in my namaste bag!

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
i use a blue nylon ninewest bag that i got on clearance for less than $20. i love it. it has a large zippered compartment in the middle, a thinner one in the back perfect for patterns, and a snapping front compartment with tho pockets that are perfect for a cell phone, needle (um, those things you put on the end of your needles when you're not knitting to keep your stitches from falling off - all of a sudden i can't for the life of me remember what they're called! :wall:), stitch/row counters, and all the other little stuff you need. the middle compartment has some pockets, too. before i got it i just used all those free bags you get as part of your "gift with purchase" at the make-up counters in department stores. what i like about those is most of them come with smaller bags that are perfect for your knitting accessories.

Doodknitwit
06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
my daughter was a mary kay rep.. she gave me a tote with an inside pocket I can fit my project, clear zippered pouch for tools :) etc :blooby:

Doublereeder2
06-30-2007, 10:37 PM
doublereeder, I'm dumb--what's KP? Thanks for your help.

No, you are not dumb.
KP is KnitPicks. You can see the bags here. (http://knitpicks.com/KIPer+Bags_ADKPKIPer.html)

Ceci

gamerchik
06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I just use my National Geographic tote bag...it's roomy enough to carry a bunch of stuff but it's pretty low on pockets. These bags you guys are using are awesome!!! :happydancing:

dakatzmeow
06-30-2007, 10:47 PM
i have the large kip'er bag from kp, like doublereeder was talking about, and now, the small one. i'm loving both of them. i haven't tried it yet, but i think there's a way i can buckle the small bag to the outside of the larger bag. maybe i'll use the small one as my purse. hmmmmmm.

Rorshach
07-01-2007, 03:00 AM
I use the monk's travel satchel for my main knitting bag, and I've got the large KIP'er bag from KnitPicks for other projects.

misstialouise
07-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Currently I use what ever handbag I am taking with me (they're all fairly large, but only really big enough to carry a sock-pair or a small project. My MIL bought me a carry all tote from the Northern Territory, which is big enough for an almost finished sweater or afghan project.

However.. I am just waiting delivery on my JP Satchel... WOO!

Jax3303
07-01-2007, 09:43 AM
when I want to carry around a larger project, I use my Namaste Messenger bag (http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1107) (the rose color) I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! When I want to carry just a pair of socks or something small, I use my bigger booga that I made. (first pic HERE (http://anjaknits.blogspot.com/2006/11/1-fo-2-wips.html)

knitwit88
07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I use a free bag that I got at bath and body works. You know that honeysuckle promotion bag? Aeropostale has some cool totes.

zkimom
07-01-2007, 10:29 AM
My knitting bag is whatever is lying around and is empty of other projects at the moment. But I do covet the Namaste Everyday and Jetsetter bags. I just can't decide on what color I want so I haven't ordered one yet :shrug:

Best,
Susan

stirsmommy
07-01-2007, 10:49 AM
What are these namaste bags? I am so clueless!:??

zkimom
07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
What are these namaste bags? I am so clueless!:??

Namaste Bags (http://namasteneedles.com/products/handbags.php)

:inlove:

auburnchick
07-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh wow, I've never seen those before. They are so chic! Now who said knitting wasn't cool??? :scratchinghead:

zip
07-01-2007, 01:52 PM
My knitting bag is whatever is lying around and is empty of other projects at the moment. But I do covet the Namaste Everyday and Jetsetter bags. I just can't decide on what color I want so I haven't ordered one yet :shrug:

Best,
Susan

I do the same - use whatever totebag is empty. For small projects, I'll even use a paper bag with handles from a gift shop. When I find the perfect vehicle, I'll recognize it and make it my own.

ADAllen
07-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't have a knitting bag yet. I was going to use a tote bag that I had, but I quickly learned why knitting bags shouldn't have Velcro closures so for now I just put my projects in a gallon ziplock bag (I haven't done anything very big yet) and carry it along in my over sized purse.

1knittychick
07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Ceci, thanks!

1knittychick
07-01-2007, 02:36 PM
zkimom, wow! I've never heard of those. I need something that can double as a purse and catchall. Thanks!

Nobones
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I asked a question like this, I wanted a bag to carry my knitting out and about, I had so many recommendations I got flustered because I liked them all. So I use a store carrier bag. Not glamorous at all.

MrsDavis3
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Because I move my knitting between two houses which are about 60 miles apart, I am no minimalist when it comes to transporting my projects. I have to bring everything I might possibly want for a period of time between 2 days and 1 week. So that means all projects as well as a skein or two of any new yarn along with my needle case for swatching.

So I use baskets made by an African women's collective...in Ghana, I think. One of them is pictured here holding a bit of knitting and my needle case. I do also have a very small one for small projects I take to the doctor or other relatively short-term outings. My silk needle case is by Lantern Moon; it was a gift from my husband and daughter.

Brrlracinbt
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a collection of all sorts of bags! I have waaaayyy too many projects going on!

Sara
07-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I am now using a Bagsmith bag. I am very happy with it, but I do tend to whack people with the metal frame if I'm not careful.:oops:

I have a Namaste Everyday bag in Chocolate that I would be willing to sell if anyone's interested. It's in terrific condition. The chocolate color is actually darker than the picture on the Namaste site.

beckyrhae
07-01-2007, 07:30 PM
I have 2 namaste bags but right now I'm using an old banana republic messenger bag... it rocks. :)

bellium
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
i carry my projects in the clear plastic bags i get from my LYS when i shop there....but if i had my way, i'd carry it in this:

http://lexiebarnes.com/images/collection/knit/KLDB/KLDB_BAJA_300.jpg
just because i think it's fantastic, and if you look really closely, all the flowers are made up of little skulls.

jodstr2
07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
at Stitches West in Feb, I splurged and bought a Lexie Barnes Flo in the Baja print (same print as bellium's post above).
lemme link a piccie to the Flo...

Miss Moosey
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I used to use an old CVS bag (surprisingly, CVS bags usually lasted about a month or so before my knitting needles turned them into sieves!)

Now I have a great canvas tote bag they gave me at work. It has a cute little pocket on the front which I keep my patterns in (I used to put them in with my knitting but they got turned into sieves as well). And everything else goes in the body of the bag.

The only thing I would like to have differently is to maybe have some smaller pockets to put things like yarn needles, stitch holders, and point protectors in. As it is they're all floating around on the bottom of the bag and it usually takes me five minutes and a flashlight to find one of these little things when I need it!

Rebecca

chrislt8
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
The only thing I would like to have differently is to maybe have some smaller pockets to put things like yarn needles, stitch holders, and point protectors in. As it is they're all floating around on the bottom of the bag and it usually takes me five minutes and a flashlight to find one of these little things when I need it!

Rebecca

I use a tote pretty much like you describe, Rebecca - I picked up a "gadget holder" that is made up of little circular "cups" about 1 1/2" wide and about 1/2" deep that screw on top of each other. Each section is just the right size for markers, point protectors, etc and you can use as many, or few, "cups" as you want (and they are in a rainbow of "clear" pretty colors. I found it in the pill holders section of Walgreens and it is just perfect for all the little things. I keep that in one of those "free with makeup purchase" bags with my stitch holders, yarn needles, scissors and it fits right into that front pocket on the bag.

ADAllen - my tote has velco too - I bought some of the velcro strips (at Staples) and cut it to exactly fit over the velcro on the bag - it covers it completely, doesn't slip off, and keeps the velcro from snagging the yarn...

Here's a picture of the gadget holder if anyone is interested http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/247898.jpg

Quiltlady
07-02-2007, 02:52 AM
I have a few bags I choose from. One is black and white Toile fabric which I love.:inlove: Another is a knit tote of Noro yarn with wooden handles that I made. Third is a fabric tote similar to Bradley bag. They are all pretty big and I just use withever one fits my "mood" for the project being carried.:lol:

leedsfan
07-02-2007, 05:45 AM
I use a huge denim bag which i brought on holiday one year.

JoeE
07-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Soft side tool bag I bought at Lowes for about $20. I love all the pockets, and it holds a ton of stuff.

KnittinMitchie
07-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Soft side tool bag I bought at Lowes for about $20. I love all the pockets, and it holds a ton of stuff.

I have looked at the tool bags at the hard ware store. LOL I've even looked at plastic tool boxes and tackle boxes to organize and store my little things.
For my bday my mom got me the HUGE bag that Lion Brand makes which I carry on road trips but if I'm going to and from on errands and such it goes in a small canvas bag that I bough for $4 or so. I don't knit large items so a small bag works for me.

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I made a big burlap bag with a cotton lining and usually use that for everything, but I am working out plans for a messenger bag with lots of pockets and whatnot for all my knitting stuff - just haven't gotten around to making it yet :D.

redheadrachel
07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I just use a tote I got for free when I bought my mebership for Books a Million. I really like that it has front pockets for great organization, but I could use something with a much more functional size and shape...

cftwo
07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I have a collection of pastic bags. I am using a TJMaxx bag for a baby blanket I'm working on. I have a shawl in a bag from a yarn store, and am using similar bags for a few other projects. When I travel, I put a project in a ziploc bag in whatever carryon I'm using. I usually just put whatever project I'm working on in my briefcase or carry on or other larger bag I'm carrying. I am drooling over those bags you all have found, though!

dustinac
07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I have so many :teehee:

I was using a Haiku (http://www.scoutsswag.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20_44&SID=9c62a8e68a0b9adc0cf62ea74569eb09)bag... works great as a purse and carrying a project...not to big either...

My dh got me a new handbag for our anniversary... it has 3 different sections so now I'm using that and one section is for my knitting...

I also have the knit pick bags... I use this too... my Civil war shawl is in the Medium with the purse organizer (I use it to hold my tape measure, notepad, pen, etc...) the small holds the romance wrap... I have a denim tote that I use as well for projects... a big bath and body work tote that I use... and a longaberger small tote that I have a sock in right now.. this way I can just grab a bag and go... each bag has everything I need so I don't have to keep looking for my yarn cutter, stitch markers, etc...

I also have a small bag in the car that has dish rags in it... just in case :shrug:

Sanibelle
07-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I just got the Namaste Messenger bag. I have to admit it is bigger than I thought it would be so I really have not used it much yet. But the reason I bought it was to take it for vacations.

For everyday I use a great bag that I got from Clarins (the makeup line) - it was supposed to be a beach bag but now it is my everyday knitting bag.

JamOKnit
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I've been using a free tote that I got from Macy's when I signed up for their bridal registry....it's big enough for a few balls of yarn, a WIP, my pencil case-type zippered bag with all of my tools and accoutrements, and a few plastic sleeved patterns. But those Namaste bags are gorgeous!!!! May have to covet one until I can buy one.

1knittychick
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
redheadracheal: I have that bag--I would have never thought of using it as a knitting bag. Thank you for the idea.

mari_13
07-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't typically take my knitting with me unless I'm going to the doctor's or traveling for work. When I do, I pack my project in an Adidas toiletry bag. It's perfect! I don't like to travel with bigger projects. It holds my notion bag, my project, ball of yarn and extras just right and doesn't take up extra space.

candicane
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Currently I am using a collapsible basket like the one at garnethill.com. I got it at TJ Maxx for $10. Loving the basket so far. I can knit right out of it (don't like the yarn to touch the floor). Also just got a woven/basket kind of bag from World Market.

candi

KT120
07-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I use a cream leather messenger bag that I bought in a yard sale. It was a steal at only $2. It has pockets in the front that hold my sissors, measuring tape, crochet hook and other items. Then the flap has a pocket and that is where my pattern, notebook and needles go. The inside contains WIP, extra yarn and my SnB book. It's great and I'm sooo fortunate to have found one that is stylish at a steal.

jjminarcik
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I switch between 2 bags - one is a Vera Bradley bag (love the pockets!!) and another more "summery" type bag. Not as many pockets, but still functional.

1knittychick
07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who has given me ideas. When school starts back in August (UGH!!!!!!!!) I will need something to carry my projects in.

KnittinMitchie
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I changed bag and am using a bag I got will being a Pampered Chef consultant. There is a spot in the front where the catalog goes that I put my pattern and in the back there is a small zipper pouch I keep my notions. I even have room on the inside to put a medium size project along with my phone keys and wallet.

Mirl56
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I made one of Cat Bordhi's mobius bags and it's a perfect size for a pair of socks on the go. I keep the bare necessity sock knitting accessoreis in an altoid tin in the pocket. I keep this in my car at all times.

I have have a army-surplus messenger style bag for bigger projects. This past weekend I used the messenger bag to carry extra magazines, a book, and current sock project (which was in a zip lock baggie) for a 12 hr drive.

pixiepurls
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I've always kept my knitting in my Vera Bradley bags, they come with some many little accessories it's easy to get stuff to hold all my knitting tools and needles, I often times put my knitting in a ziplock bag to keep it from getting tangled.

hunterjenn
07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I have the same one Mason does, but for carrying just one little project, I use a Booga I made. :thumbsup:

Knit1Drop1
07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I have kind of an olive green courdery (sp) messenger bag that I bought from Target to use as a diaper bag when my son was in diapers (after my "actual" diaper bag wore out). It's got one main compartment with a small zippered pouch inside and one large outside pocket... then there is a flap that drops over all that has 2 smaller buttoned compartments in it. It's not too fancy but then neither am I. :)

ADAllen
07-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I have kind of an olive green courdery (sp) messenger bag that I bought from Target to use as a diaper bag when my son was in diapers (after my "actual" diaper bag wore out). It's got one main compartment with a small zippered pouch inside and one large outside pocket... then there is a flap that drops over all that has 2 smaller buttoned compartments in it. It's not too fancy but then neither am I. :)
hehe This weekend I was with a pregnant friend at Target looking at diaper bags, and I kept thinking humm this just might be my perfect knitting bag. I didn't get one, but I'm still considering it:think:

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I guess I look like "Little Red Riding Hood", but I always carry my knitting projects in baskets. It's easy to grab the handle, and the knitting doesn't get all squished together.

I would like to have a nice knitting bag one day, though. Like the ones on this page: http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

ArtLady1981
07-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Green Mountain Knitting Bags by Martha Saaco. The Snow Pond and the Carpet Bag are my favorite designs for travel.

I bought the Vintage Bag with shoulder straps recently. Will use it when I need a knitting bag with a shoulder strap. Haven't needed to use it yet, but I am ready!

Stonington
07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi!
I found this bag at AC Moore :woot:It is great, lots of pockets inside and out :heart:.. roomy... :heart:-- I apologize for the bad photos.. I took them with my phone this morning. :pout:

anne

Greys4me
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I have several gorgeous Zelda bags (http://offhanddesigns.com/603k.html) and a couple of Maruca bags for sock projects (http://www.marucadesign.com/maruca4/maruca2/fall07/index.fall.htm). I ususally order all my bags from Sheri at http://www.theloopyewe.com/!:thumbsup: They're kinda pricey but so GORGEOUS and unique that they're totally worth it!!:heart:

chan58
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I have one that is blue with red roses on it, I bought it years ago when I started to knit a sweater. It is fabric and light weight. :)

Knit Mom
07-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I have a DellaQ Bag. http://dellaq.com/Claudia.html It is big enought for me to currently carry, Harry Potter, two knitting projects, my purse, a small bag I keep my pm's, chibby, ect in, my umbrella and morning paper in. I absoooolutely LOOOOVE it.

Bug
07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow i'm totally surprised!! does no one carry their knitting in a bag that they made?

I'd love to knit my own bag to carry my knitting in, thought i'm not at that level of knitting yet, still stuck on my scarves :-(

Knit Mom
07-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I have not made a bag to keep my stuff in. But I have one in the works. :knitting:

Stiney
07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I have several gorgeous Zelda bags (http://offhanddesigns.com/603k.html) and a couple of Maruca bags for sock projects (http://www.marucadesign.com/maruca4/maruca2/fall07/index.fall.htm). I ususally order all my bags from Sheri at http://www.theloopyewe.com/!:thumbsup: They're kinda pricey but so GORGEOUS and unique that they're totally worth it!!:heart:

I was devastated to realize that you didn't mean "Zelda" as in the Nintendo games. :teehee:

I use a Namaste Messenger bag in brown. :heart: I've got my current project inside of a bag from Chix with Stix, inside the messenger bag. :rofl: I'm fond of the messenger bag, except it feels heavy quickly--I had a sweat shirt, wallet, keys, and cell phone in it, and I had to keep switching shoulders. :??

Songbirdy
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I have a cheapy bag that I bought at Zellers when it was on clearance. I can't remember the name but its the supplier of Walmarts general purpose craft stuff. Its turquoise with a lime green band along the bottom. It has large wooden O handles held on with rivets and a row of pockets along each side. One with lots of narrow pockets and the other side one large pocket. More like envelope pockets. Not verys spacious but it keeps knitting needles from rolling around.

I have a crochet project and a sock project in it at all times. I only knit those on the go.

I also have a cable project on the go it is in an older sewing basket my mother gave me. It sits under the coffee table. I had them in an open basket but the cats... yarn... kids... yarn...

CLOSED baskets at home... :lol:

I'd like to sew myself one, but my first project will be to design and sew my perfect purse. I'll be 82 when I do that, so I don't think I'll schedule in time to knit myself or sew myself a knitting bag.

cinnamon_girl
07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I carry my current project of choice with me on the train to work in one of the many small paper shopping bags with handles that I save when I make a purchase. AKA... my knititng bag 'a the month.
Often it's a VS bag with handles. VS bags are heavy-weight, coated paper and last a long time before I have to switch bags. And they're the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. Also they're pink, they're pretty and let people know I may not have much, but I have expensive underwear on.
Right now, my WIP, my socks, are in my Sophie's Yarns bag. I got it when I bought my sock yarn and needles. It heavy brown kraft paper with nice handles, again the perfect size and has a nice stamped design on it along with Sophie's name and address. Occasionally I've used Bath and Body Works bags.
I already tote an oversized shoulder bag with all the assorted stuff I need, water bottle, ipod, cell phone, umbrella, newspaper, wallet, sunglasses etc. as well as a lunch bag so I can't add a big knittng bag to the pile. The little shopping bags work perfectly for me. When they get a little shabby and start to tear I recycle them and move onto the next one in my stash. Or go buy something new at VS.

SusanMarie1956
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a basket type bag that my Grandma used. I also have a an oval basket that I use for everything I need to make one project. Right now it's full of only the yarn ad materials I need to make a blanket. If I go someplace, it just gets transferred to a smaller basket of bag.

Susan

cheesiesmom
07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I ordered some yarn from Smiles that came in a clear plastic bag with a little plastic snap frame to keep it closed. I carry my sock project (yarn, needles, pattern) in that with a little clear accessory bag I think I bought from knitpicks with scissors, crochet hook, markers, etc. It's just big enough, the handle hooks onto my walker latches and it was free. How uncool is that?

I also use Ziplock bags, but I'm working on a man's sweater now and probably need something larger. Maybe one of the really heavy plastic bags from the fruit market.

Shandeh
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
After reading this discussion, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a couple knitting bags.

I searched on eBay, and found some unorthodox options that will work well. I searched under "cosmetic bags" and "diaper bags". They sell for a much better price than the designated "knitting bags", and look exactly the same! :thumbsup:

I placed bids on some of them, and won 4! :)

ADAllen
07-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Ohh I really like that last set you have posted. Classy

stirsmommy
07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
I use the brown paper bags with handles. My lys uses them and I love to get them. Sadly my really big one is looking like it has about had it. So the next time I buy big I think I might just cover my bag with some floral contact paper to make it last longer. I use the smaller one (my usual purchase size) for the start of my projects and scarves. Hmm, Maybe if I iron my big bag I could paper it now.:??

Samsam
07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I use a tote from aeropostale. It's reversible so I switch it up.

miccisue
07-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I alternate between two. My mom got me an inexpensive "beach bag" (obviously not a netting type one, LOL!), and one time at Hallmark they were giving away tote bags with purchases.

I've tried paper bags and heavy duty plastic bags, and I just end up with holes in them, so I needed something heavier. The two I have suit me perfectly, as they are large, and will handle several skeins of yarn, needles, scissors, crochet hooks, seaming needles, patterns (VERY important to me!!!!!! LOL!!), plus have space to tuck away things I might have finished. (I'm working on small projects right now, so when I finish one and am away from home, the bag has room for them as well).

And yes, I pretty much take my bag with me wherever I got....never can tell when you can get some knitting in. AND, expecially at a doctor's office for a checkup (while waitning, and waiting, and waiting):tap: you can get a lot accomplished!!!!!!:knitting:

Brvfan
07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I keep all my needles and supplies, along with a long term project or two in a Namaste Vintage Bag. When I travel I use a bag I created myself with lots of pockets on the inside. Simple bag pattern can be found anywhere and are usually easy to sew. I even knitted an eyelash border and attached. I love it...it is me!

Debby

Purple
07-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Currently I use a canvas messenger bag I got years ago in college. It's a good size for the scarf I'm currently making (using 3 skeins of reed heart yarn), and has an inner pocket that holds patterns and neeldes, and a small outer pocket that is the right size for a yarn needle, pen and travel-sized scissors.

Thanks to whoever posted the link for Namaste, I'm enthralled with that vintage bag. Must visit my LYS and see how much it costs!

Eloewien
07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
My local michaels had a clearance on the orange bags so I got one of those... and then this weekend when I was in a wedding, my bridesmaid's gift was a vera bradley bag that is perfect for carrying one or two projects at a time

stirsmommy
07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
My 7yo ds wanted me to post his bag. He is just begininning and wanted his knitting in his own bag. I just use handled paper bags so I took one the small ones and covered it in duct tape. He calls it the robot bag. It is definitely sturdy enough for him now.

Shandeh
07-30-2007, 01:25 PM
A robot-bag! How cool is that?! :thumbsup:

lkimc
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I love love love my bag by Dancing Cat - pricey though. Also, I made the Market Square bag out of
Bags - A Knitters Dozen our of Noro Kureyon - love it too!

Riss
07-31-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm actually suprised no one has mentioned using a Timbuk2 bag. I have a messenger bag that I used in college, that I absolutely love. I'm going to take some carpet cleaner to the bottom of it tomorow morning, and then move my knitting projects into it (a few years of college grime isn't going anywhere near my nice clean yarn and projects :D). It's a little big, but I think it will work.

Once I get working again (only a few more weeks.. I *have* to stay motivated...) I'm going to buy myself a new, smaller Timbuk2 bag (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/classic/classic-ballistic-messenger). They last for ever, have a waterproof lining, and you can completely customize them.

Gotta find a way to make myself $85 now... :D

tropicallie
07-31-2007, 03:47 AM
I have all kinds of bags and totes for my knitting and crochet. Some big, some small. Most I bought, some I made. My latest purchase is Walmart's version of the Chanel Naked handbag - that see-through airport security satchel shaped one. Walmart's version was just as plastic and see thru as the original, but without the trademark back-to-back "C". Oh - and about $855 cheaper. I wanted something I could set on the ground outside and not worry about grass stains or dampness or whatever. Or plop on the floor of the car and not worry about getting a nice bag all dirty. I keep all my small accessories in a pencil case that has a see thru pocket. It, 6 balls of yarn, my current project needles and the Vogue reference guide fit nicely in there. OH - it also came with a clear coin purse that is permanently attached to the inside of the bag with a cable that I haven't found a specific use for but I like the possibilities.
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/shopping_ellen_warren/2007/06/chanel_naked_pu.html

jpenguin
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh My! Which bag to choose from? :shrug: Not only do I need a Yarn Anyomous group but a Bag anyomous group. Started out using Vera Bradley bags but quickly out grew those. For years when all I did was crochet I used this bag http://simplysarahs.com/medium_yarn_bag.html. Great for baby afghan projects. But since learning to Knit last August found it didn't work well with knitting. I have since moved onto a beach bag by Rio Beach that has pockets on the outside & plenty of room on the inside to carry 2 or 3 small projects or one big project along with my Denise Needle Set & my KP needle set. It also has room for my straight needle set & I keep all of my Addi Circulars in one of the outside pockets. I never know what project I will be in the mood to work on at the softball fields inbetween dd's games and do not have to worry about the bag getting dirty since it is somekind of vinyl. But then last week walked into my local JoAnn's and found they had thier rolling bags in the store on clearance for $5.00. I bought two since I find my beach bag sometimes too heavy for our knit night at the local coffee shop. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2870&PRODID=prd37612 This works great for that night but when I need something quick I just grab any empty bag that is lying around without a project in it. I really need help, I think.:think:

orcoastknitter
07-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I have an orange tote bag that I bought at Target for about $3.00 that I use for my knitting on the go. It's ok, not what I really want, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I wanted to order this bag (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0038722913630a&navCount=1&podId=0038722&parentId=cat21219&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat601085-cat21219&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21219&hasJS=true/)from Cabelas, but they don't have the color I wanted. I still might order it though maybe in the blue/yellow. I don't know yet. I have also a basket similar to MrsDavis 3. I use it to hold my projects in progress. :teehee:

MerigoldinWA
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm afraid I am not very classy. :lol: I have several bags around the house that I use, but sometimes they all get filled up with UFOs that I will probably never get back to and I often end up just using a plastic bag that I carried my purchases home in from Wal-Mart, or the local grocer. :lol:

The others I have to choose from that are a little more what you might classify as a "bag" (the ones I can't always get to) are mostly from second hand stores. Some are on the line of those older sewing "baskets" that are cloth hanging on wooden legs. (You know the kind?) I also have one I bought new that is canvas with an African motif.

I guess anything will do. And as I read through this thread about all the super organized bags some folks have, I have to admit to myself that I am not organized enough to use them effectively. Too many niffty pockets and compartments. I just want to throw things in and run. Right now,... got to go,.... need my knitting. :out: This will do. And throw in my palm sized purse if I need my driver's license. And if I had an expensive, "special" bag it would probably end up full of UFOs and me with my plastic grocery bag. :chair:

It sounded like there are a few of you who can relate. :lol:

Shandeh
07-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Today, I went to see lissalue, and carried some of my knitting projects along.

I laughed when I realized that I brought about 5 knitting bags with me. :teehee:

I never really realized how many bags I have. I also have projects in baskets at home.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1107/969390620_b84cbd113e.jpg

laptop_knitter
08-01-2007, 06:40 AM
I manage at the moment with a little nylon backpack- holds my needle roll, 2 projects with wool,and the assorted destrius that goes with it,but those Timbuk2 bags are so tempting.... hmm, how to justify it to the purse....:think: