PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Crochet hook?

Braden
06-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I thought it would be a good idea if we could all post what our favorite hooks are, to help beginners pick. My favorites are Boye hooks. Don't know why, I guess I just like them. :shrug:

debinoz
06-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I love boye, too. I've tried those new plastic crysta-somethings and didn't care for them all that much.

My most favoritest hook ever was actually my boye "G" afghan hook. It got lost in the shuffle of moving years ago.

Braden
07-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I know, I tried the Crystalites. Hated them. They had that seam down the middle that catches on the yarn, and the smaller sizes snapped very easily.

AnaK
07-01-2007, 12:10 AM
I like Addi hooks.

Braden
07-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I have a couple, and I looove them, but Boye hooks are just a little more readily available. When I need a new one, I can just run down to my local yarn store and buy a new one.

Phretys
07-01-2007, 01:01 AM
The ones I use the most are Susan Bates, mainly because they're cheap and they came in a 6-pack (sizes F through K).

My mom used to do a lot of filet crochet about 35-40 years ago, and most of her hooks are Boyes made out of some metal that's different than the aluminum that I see more often these days. Her little 1.9mm hook is heavier than my G5/4.00mm.

Debi

Braden
07-01-2007, 01:10 AM
That was probably a steek hook. :shrug:

aineepooh1
07-01-2007, 01:28 AM
wow.. they used steel back then..:think:
well my favs are clover? wide handled hooks.. they have a large base that reduces the hand strain..
I tried the metal (which I believe the clovers are.. or some aluminium) and I tried the plastic... DIDN"T like the plastic... yarn (especically cotton) doesn't slide over it easily .. I learned that through trial and error..
I don't usually like metal needles (:heart: my denises) but I like metal hooks...~:shrug:

JudyD
07-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I have many Boye and Bates hooks but my all-time favorite is an aluminum Aero 5.00 (H) which I use all the time to make the baby afghans for our church project. I bought it 30 or 40 years ago when the hooks were sold in the US under the Bernat brand.

JudyD

mathwizard
07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I will date myself a bit but I like my metal hooks which are Boye and my steel ones are Betsy Ross. I also have some bone hooks which are reaaalllyyyyy nice!!!! For knitting, I have Boye needlemaster set and they are metal. I did but just recently some Clover double points and they are okay but I still prefer metal.:thumbsup:

marykz
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
my metal Boyes... and the H/8 seems to be in heaviest use right now. I HATE the plastic ones for reasons set forth by others. I have seen the wood ones, but haven't tried them yet. I have a couple metal Susan Bates, but they seem a little too pointy- I feel like I split the yarn more often with them.

Knit1Drop1
07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I think as a general rule I prefer susan bates to boye because they have a pointier end and slicker surface. I have a bunch of each but these are the only brands I ever use.

newwooley
07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I love :heart:my Clover's with the ergonomic handles.
I also love :heart: my Inox's with plastic handles.
And, I love :heart: my bamboos made by Chia Goo.

And I also like the one Hero I have.

I have an assortment of Bates and Boyes that I also like, but I need to wrap them in clay to give them a better grip as they wear on my hand.

Helen

PamJ
07-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I find the Bates hooks to be the most comfortable. Boye gets caught for me--so it must be the way we've learned to manage our hooks. I've invested in some bamboo hooks for a few projects but always seem to come back to my Bates. I well remember watching my mother crochet with those little steel hooks. She made huge bedspreads, tablecloths, etc. with that tiny thread. Hats off to her and all you who can do it! I sure don't have the eyes or the patience. Maybe once you've learned with yarn, it's impossible to switch.

mwedzi
07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I find the Bates hooks to be the most comfortable. Boye gets caught for me--so it must be the way we've learned to manage our hooks.

Ditto for me. I have mostly Boye, I guess because they were most widely available where I shopped, but I prefer the hook on my metal Bates. Can't stand plastic hooks, yuck. :ick: I have a few of those ergonomic handle Clover ones, Soft Touch maybe they're called, but the handle is too short for me. I have one bamboo one from Crystal Palace. It's okay, but because of the drag and my great sensitivity to the sounds certain things make when rubbing together, I can only use it on wool. But yeah, Bates metal hooks are my favorites.

FiberFreak
07-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I actually have the metal ones too! I think from a dime store "Woolworths"? lol I do like Boye but the brushed ones not the shiny ones they seem to leave a metally smell to the hands for me.

DianaM
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Boye. I have a few Susan Bates, but Boye are definitely my favorites.

Braden
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Boyes are my favorites too, I find that the Susan Bates hooks tend to split the yarn.

Jenelle
07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Boyes are my favorite. I've tried working with plastic before, and they just don't work for me. I also have antique bone hooks that one of my aunts gave to me. They're nice to work with, too.

hydeemarie
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I use boye hooks... partly because i like them and mostly because thats all i can find at walmart which is where i mostly shop for yarn and the sort. I did buy one of the crystal-crap ones and i HATE it! ugh!

nik
07-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I kind of like the plastic ones. Maybe it's the cute colors :oops:

I have one Clover, ergonomic one and it's nice, but I think I'm going to try to invest in Addis.

robynbird
07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I've only ever used the Boye hooks and like them fine. However, I bought myself an addi hook yesterday when I was getting one for a swap partner at another board and it's ok. The handle seems shorter and my hand cramped up more than it ever has with the Boye. I'd like to try the ergonomic ones.

cftwo
07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I have such a hodge-podge of hooks, some of which were gifts, some of which I bought. But basically the Boye and Susan Bates are the ones I like the best. I don't care for the plastic ones as a rule, though I did get a set of Crystallites when I needed large sizes. Those worked really well with slippery ribbon yarn. In general, though, I've liked my basic metal hooks the best - whether they're alumnimum for wider yarns, or steel for lace.

purlwise
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I like the aluminium Susan Bates hooks myself. I crochet pretty fast, so I need something that is pretty slippery. I also like that if I lose one I can just run to Michael's and pick one up. That's how I end of with 5 of one size!

Tried those crystal ones when they came out several years ago and they are horrible!

kknittinfool
07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I use the Clover?? widehandled hooks as well. I us my H all the time. It's my favorite. Have you tried the new lighted crochet hooks? They are made of plastic and are lit so you can crochet anywhere. It also helps you to see the darker yarns.

esiuol
07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I like Susan Bates hooks I use mostly a G hook!

susanc
07-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I love the Susan Bates and Boye aluminum hooks. They work the best for me and I like that they are readily available. I tried the "Balene" hooks and just didn't care for the feel of them.

Quiltlady
07-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't really crochet anymore but I do have a favorite Bamboo crochet hook when I need to hide the tail ends of my knitting. I have a bunch of the Boye ones but I bought the Bamboo one "special" just for my knitting projects.:cheering:

Pepsi
07-29-2007, 03:09 PM
My favorites are the Boye too. I am still using a Boye H that has $.25 stamped on it. Does this date me? LOL It's my favorite one!! In my opinion, Boye hooks are more rounded and don't split the yarn like others.

salos
07-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I take regular metal hooks and use Crayola Model Magic to fatten the handles.

kitkaty
08-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I like the clover ones...very comfortable and I like to use I hook.....

susanc
08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I take regular metal hooks and use Crayola Model Magic to fatten the handles.

That is so great!!! Very creative and if it makes using the hook easier, even better!!! :woohoo:

sinistral_needler
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I love my Boye crochet hooks. My blue G hook is my fave.

As for knitting, I am using some Susan Bates hooks and they are good too.

I do not like plastic hooks at all - for some reason, there are little nodes that stick to the yarn and make it fray. :gah:

hydeemarie
08-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I have already posted... but I would like to point out that I just bought 2 of the Clover hooks with the wide handles on them... they start with an E but I don't know what they are called... they are really nice tho!! :yay::cheering::happydance::woohoo::woot:

susanc
08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
hydeemarie: I don't think I've seen the Clover hooks. Where did you find them? I usually see the Boye or Susan Bates, which are the ones I use and have liked the best.

Nakia
08-12-2007, 07:08 AM
My favorite crochet hooks are Susan Bates. When I am crocheting the yarn slides off her hooks much smoother than others I have tried.

hydeemarie
08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
hydeemarie: I don't think I've seen the Clover hooks. Where did you find them? I usually see the Boye or Susan Bates, which are the ones I use and have liked the best.
I got mine at JoAnn Fabrics. They were like 6-7 $. A bit expensive but they are higher quality. They are nice! :happydance:

susanc
08-12-2007, 09:43 PM
hydeemarie: I'll have to look at them next time at at JoAnns. I go there a lot! I don't look at the crochet hooks that often since I already have all the sizes! :yay:

Gracielen
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I only use Clover...cant seen to use the others enymore...before the clovers i used susan bates.

MaleKnitter
08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I like the Susan Bates hooks the most, I love the way the hook is shaped so that the yarn fits into the hook, when you use susan bates hooks the hook catches the yarn for you. with boye hooks i have to move my hand so much more so that i can grab the yarn with the hook.
does anyone else know what i mean? I hope that makes sense.

susanc
08-18-2007, 08:43 AM
I do know what you mean! It's great that there are so many choices out there, especially now adays. :cheering: Way back when I started crocheting over 25 years ago, there was only Susan Bates and Boye, I believe. We sure didn't have the choice that we do now. I guess it's also what you get used to. How do you crochet? I crochet continental and I knit English. It just feels natural to me that way. How about you?

JoeE
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
This is kind of funny. I was a crocheter for 30+ years before I started knitting, and I NEVER developed a preference for crochet hooks (except an intense hatred for cheap plastic hooks with a seam where they were in the mold). I'm pretty darned finicky about my knitting needles though. Wonder why?

susanc
08-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I hate those cheap plastic ones too! When I started knitting three years ago, I bought only bamboo needles (Clover). Right now I'm using dpns and am really enjoying the Susan Bates ones. They're so smooth and it just makes the yarn slide so easily. One of these days I'm going to treat myself to the KnitPicks Options circulars and give those a try. I hear they're WONDERFUL!!! :woot:

redheadrachel
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
It's weird, I find that I'm not as particular about my crochet hooks as I am about my knitting needles... :shrug: Knitpicks Circs and Knitpicks dpns - in my mind, they're as close to perfect as a knitting needle can get. Using bamboo, wood or plastic really irritates me to no end when I'm knitting, but it doesn't irritate me as much to crochet with them. I still prefer metal, especially the Boyes because they're nice, cheap, and available everywhere. :thumbsup:

ETA: LOL After posting this, I read a few posts above me and it seems that other people are just like me, particular about knitting needles but no so much about crochet hooks. Maybe it's because in knitting, you keep the stitches on the needle and work them off the needle, but in crochet you only use the hook to pull through, so it's not as big of an issue?

Knit1Drop1
08-19-2007, 07:29 PM
How do you crochet? I crochet continental and I knit English. It just feels natural to me that way. How about you?

I didn't know there was such a thing as continental crocheting. I hold my yarn on the left when crocheting, as if I were continental knitting... but I thought that was the way EVERYONE crocheted. I have read that people who can crochet can supposedly pick up continental knitting easier, but not exactly true for me. KNITTING continental is easy, but when I try to purl continental I feel like I am all thumbs. I don't know what's up with that.

So when knitting I will either do continental or english, depending... but purling I pretty much always do english.

susanc
08-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I know, I thought everyone crocheted by carrying the yarn in their left hand and the hook in their right; however, I saw an episode of "Uncommon Threads" I believe, where a woman crocheted and carried the yarn and held the hook in her right hand. :noway: It looked so awkward and cumbersome, but it must work alright for her. It just seems that it would go so SLOW that way! :shrug:

Redheadrachel: I think it is because the knitting stays on the needles that we are more particular with our knitting needles and not so with the crochet hooks. At least, that's how I am too!

Good luck with school!

minkoo
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm the same way- picky about my knitting needles but am perfectly happy with my Boyes.

If I were going to do an afgan I'd maybe treat myself to Addi's or something.

susanc
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm the same way- picky about my knitting needles but am perfectly happy with my Boyes.

If I were going to do an afgan I'd maybe treat myself to Addi's or something.

I agree about the Addis - I will definately have to give them a try sometime. I want to get the Knit Pick Options too! :woot:

aztec_judy
08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I prefer Susan Bates, But use both susan and boye, I had tried the crystilites when they first came out and thought I would NOT like them as well .. and at first I didn't cause of the snagging.. but they have since improved them and they work up pretty good now ..
I am not sure what ya'll mean by contintel and english ???
I hold the yarn in the left and hook in the rite .. I know left handers that do it the opposite .. yarn rite hook left ?? so what do ya mean by that ???
Only continental I know of is plastic canvas .. its half a cross stitch .. lololol

Riss
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I've been resisting commenting on this, as I've had the same thing to say as everyone else...

but yesterday, while working on the latest bag, I cracked this ancient plastic needle. Half of a paper clip and 2 inches of duct tape later, it was fixed enough to be usable again. It just further cements the idea that plastic crochet hooks just.. don't work. Unless its larger than size L... Then the Crystalites work lovely.

I'm a sucker for the Bates hooks. I've tried Boye, so many times. But the hook is so much larger than the rest of it, that I often have a hard time pulling my yarn through the loops without getting extras from the stitch i'm working into.

Thats the beauty of Bates hooks, the hook is the same size as the rest of it.

EssenceRose
08-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately, there aren't many well known "good" brands sold here in NZ. I go to Spotlight to buy all my crochet hooks. I'm not fussed on a brand, just as long as they are aluminum/metal. I have already broken a plastic hook (don't ask me how!). :??