PDA

View Full Version : Weaving in Ends - What's Your Method?

chrislt8
07-03-2007, 01:20 AM
I have been reading books and surfing the net for methods on weaving in ends, and just can't seem to find a method I am satisfied with. If I manage to make them relatively invisible by just weaving back and forth on rows, I don't feel secure that they won't work themselves out over time. If I use a method like that shown on Knitty.com (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html (picture below) I get a fairly wide ridge on the WS and a "feeling" of thickness from the RS

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/images/TT_ends2.jpg
Maybe I just need more practice, but I was wondering how all of YOU do it. Interestingly enough, I rather enjoy the process, but it is slow work and I would like to find a way that leaves me more satisfied with the finished product. TIA Chris

redwitch
07-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Well weaving in the ends adds another layer so it is always going to be a bit thicker. You could weave them in the many people do for long floats in SC, but if you are happy with the duplicate stitch, you can decrease the added bulk by splitting the end/tail into its component plies and weaving in each one separately in a different area.
Blocking will vastly improve many aspects of a finished item.

winterblues
07-03-2007, 02:20 AM
I always weave loose ends into any edges available and not into my work.
There is no need to worry about loose ends coming out of your work because it sort of 'felts' into the fabric after washing and wearing.

:flirt:

psammeadred
07-03-2007, 10:35 AM
When I join a new ball of yarn, I loop a few inches of each over each other, work a few stitches with both old and new yarns, and then drop the old yarn. It's hard to tell where the join is on the right side. Then I go back and (carefully!) trim up any ends.

Jan in CA
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
There is no need to worry about loose ends coming out of your work because it sort of 'felts' into the fabric after washing and wearing.

:flirt:

This is only true if you are using a feltable animal fiber like wool or alpaca that is not superwash.

I have been using the weaving in method you posted, but I'm not happy with it because of the extra bulk it creates. I will give Redwitches method a try and see if that works for me.

Calamintha
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I use natural fibers almost all the time and when I join yarn I always spit splice aka felted join. That way the join is nearly invisible and there are no ends to weave in. It does not work with synthetics or cotton though. Scroll down to Felted Join:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

redwitch
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Still got tails at the start and end though... in non-felting fibres, try the Russian join for an equally unobtrusive and sturdy join with no weaving in of ends.

Lieke
07-04-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't use animal fibers, but I also weave the ends in the seam. To secure them, I'll get the thread trough itself at the end. This works really well and the ends aren't in my work, so they can't pop out.

On socks I do weave them in, but here, I also get the last stitch to get trough itself.

Jan in CA
07-04-2007, 02:15 AM
I don't use animal fibers, but I also weave the ends in the seam. To secure them, I'll get the thread trough itself at the end. This works really well and the ends aren't in my work, so they can't pop out.

Good idea, but I don't seam if at all possible. :shrug:

snowbear
07-04-2007, 02:33 AM
I cheat... I split the yarn into 4 parts.. then use a latch hook to weave in and out. very hard to tell w/ that small amount, and the latch hook makes it go fast....

Learned it from some book as a trick.... I had a million ends when I did DD's afghan. (was squares put togther...*shudders)

The latch hook really made it go fast.. no threading...

chrislt8
07-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all your replies - some great ideas here and I will start trying them all as I continue to weave in my ends (I have LOTS of them on the sweater I am currently working on - non-wool so they have to be weaved in one way or another:rollseyes:)

Snowbear - I am not familiar with a "latchhook" - what excatly is that? I like the idea of splitting the yarn into multiple strands - avoids that "bulk".

Yarnlady
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I have some pics on my blog of how I do it. I did it this way when I only crocheted and never had a tail come undone. I was uncomfortable when I learned to knit, with just weaving it under sts. So I do it this way!
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-jpaAmzcyc6c0Nn_BA9rcAO9b?p=1044

chrislt8
07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks Yarnlady- great pictures and explanation! I'll give that a try as well...Chris