PDA

View Full Version : How Long Before You Started Your First Sock?

lissie
07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm a total n00b when it comes to knitting, having started only a few weeks ago. I don't even have a single FO but can't wait to start knitting my very own first pair of socks. :happydancing: But the thought of having to handle so many sharp pointy sticks at the same time is kinda scary. :oo:

How long have you been knitting before you felt brave or comfortable enough to start on your first pair of socks?

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Socks were my second project. I learned a lot and really enjoy doing them. I don't like doing them on DPNs and much prefer circs and Magic Loop.

Jax3303
07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
IIRC, I started my first sock about 2 months after learning to knit.

sig
07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
about six months after i started knitting! and i love socks, they look great!:inlove:

dawnk777
07-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I've been knitting since I was a kid and only just the other day, started a sock! LOL! This is my first time with dpns, too!

Miss Moosey
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
It actually took me about six years before I was comfortable enough to knit socks :oops:! But I am a slow learner. And I didn't discover this website until that point. So you will probably be able to whip a pair of socks up much sooner.

And don't worry about all of the sharp pointy sticks. It's just like knitting with two needles when push comes to shove. And they aren't really THAT pointy. :teehee:

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Rebecca

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I started knitting last June. In January, I ordered my set of Options (after reading how everyone had gotten them for Christmas, I just had to check them out).

I also ordered sock yarn with that order. Using Silver's sock tutorial, I successfully completed my first pair and never looked back! I've made several pairs since January.

They look way more intimidating than they actually are. You just have to take it step by step. It's really not that bad once you understand the structure of the sock.

gargoylelib
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Socks were the second thing I knit. Took some practice with the
dpn's but I am a pro now! Sorta :lol: I would definitely recommend
using magic loop or two circular method so you don't have to worry
about the dreaded "ladder"! I say just jump in and give it a whirl, you
can always stop if it just feels too overwhelming and go back when
are feeling more confident. At least that is what works for me, I like
to find something difficult and just give it a go! Maybe I am weird...:lol:
Libbie :)

ironmaiden
07-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm a total n00b when it comes to knitting, having started only a few weeks ago. I don't even have a single FO but can't wait to start knitting my very own first pair of socks. :happydancing: But the thought of having to handle so many sharp pointy sticks at the same time is kinda scary. :oo:

How long have you been knitting before you felt brave or comfortable enough to start on your first pair of socks?

About the same point actually, a few weeks. I had to cast on in magic loop and switch the dpns after I felt like I had the hang of it, but other than that it was fine.

I say go for it - if you're knitting something you really want to knit, you will have more fun and learn more than if you decide to knit something you don't care about.

BTW, I've only been knitting since April but I have finished 4 hats, 4 pairs of fingerless gloves, 2 pairs of socks and 2 sweaters. I just chose things I loved and learned as I went :D.

I am a huge advocate of learning by doing :).

Brrlracinbt
07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Took me 10 years! lol Now I LOVE socks.

ironmaiden
07-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh, and I used Silver's Sock Class - I highly recommend using this for your first pair - every single step is clearly explained.

psammeadred
07-03-2007, 10:19 AM
And don't worry about all of the sharp pointy sticks. It's just like knitting with two needles when push comes to shove. And they aren't really THAT pointy. :teehee:

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Rebecca

Knitting with DPN's (double-pointed needles) really isn't that hard. However, if you have size 1 bamboo needles in your knitting bag, don't stick your hand in there blindly, as getting them stuck under your fingernails HURTS.

One thing about socks - it's a little odd getting used to working with small yarn and needles. So I would recommend using variegated or self-striping yarn so you can see how much progress you've made.

And I second (third?) the recommendation for Silver's Sock Class! It's awesome!

You can do it! Go for it! You can always ask as many questions as you like here. And be sure to show us a pic of your finished socks!

knitwit628
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been knitting for 4 years and haven't made socks either. I really want to, but I guess I'm just intimidated by the thought of it. Actually, yesterday I bought a beautiful lace sock pattern by Fiber Trends, but will probably knit it in the future because it looks quite difficult. Once i finish some projects I think I better get my dpn's ready! Anyways, I'd say to go for it! Silver's Sock Tutorial looks like it would work pretty well for a first timer.

Mommy22alyns
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I started in January and finished my first sock just a few weeks ago. I'm about halfway through my second one now. I was pretty intimidated by all the needles, but it's much easier now that I'm using 5" instead of 7". :thumbsup:

feministmama
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I learned to knit in 1990. I started knitting socks in 1991. I figured it out from a sock issue of Spin off magazine. I've been sock crazy ever since. I used clunky metal needles too :ick: Now I only use bamboo. I'm such a snob:rollseyes:

Mariblue
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I started knitting socks a couple months after I learned to knit. What I did was to knit a few swatches first with double pointed needles, magic loop, and two circs to get the hang of knitting in the round. I found that I much prefer magic loop to anything else. After that, the whole sock thing was super easy!
Also, if you have any questions, there are many sock experts here on KH to walk you through it!

Kaydee
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I started knitting last August and just finished my first pair of socks about 2 weeks ago. I was really scared to try them but with Silvers tutorial it was so easy. Now I think I could've started sooner and had a few pairs by now. You might as well try it out and if you don't feel like you're ready you can take a break. DPNs aren't as scary as they look.

jodstr2
07-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I started knitting in Dec 2004 and started my first sock in Feb 2007 using Silver's Sock Tutorial. I've made bunches since then, using the tutorial. I think you can make socks whenever you want. you don't have to be an experienced knitter to do it. I wish I hadn't waited so long, but I was so stubborn about it because socks can be bought for cheap, plus I had a fear of DPNs. I say go for it! :cheering:

KT120
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I just started knitting in May and that was the third project I did. So about a month and a half after I started. I will be honest and say I was in a knitting class so that helped me out. But now that I have the hang of it I have to say they are pretty easy and fun!

I would like to check out Silver's tutorial though since everyone raves about it. Where would I be able to find it?

DragonsChest
07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I learned how to knit about 27 years ago, and only tried socks in Jan 2007. Now I have about six pairs. I love them. I used Silver's Sock Class, it is WONDERFUL.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

I have tried ML, but don't like it. I am a DPNs gal myself. And I'm also very very fond of bamboo needles, placing me in the potential needle snob category! :rofling:

ironmaiden
07-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I have tried ML, but don't like it. I am a DPNs gal myself. And I'm also very very fond of bamboo needles, placing me in the potential needle snob category! :rofling:

I found I like dpns a lot better than Magic Loop, but at first ML was easier to handle. I tried metal dpns for the first time last week (I couldn't find any size 11s in bamboo) - it was alright but I prefer the bamboo needles - they stick better.

zip
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I've never made socks. :shock:

ironmaiden
07-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I've never made socks. :shock:

You should definitely try it - it's very satisfying. I make mine with worsted weight though, because I tried sock yarn and I couldn't stand it - too teeny.

zip
07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
You should definitely try it - it's very satisfying. I make mine with worsted weight though, because I tried sock yarn and I couldn't stand it - too teeny.

I began a pair for a baby during vacation over the New Year holiday. My SO and his family teased me and my size 0 needles - they asked me why I was knitting with toothpicks. :lol: The first one developed a ladder, so I frogged it and made a soaker with the wool. I'll try again one day with a larger size.

Quiara
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
As soon as I could knit in a circle, I was all about the socks. I figured out magic loop without knowing what it was called - it just made sense to me to do small circumfrences like that and from there, it's all history. Never looked back.

orcoastknitter
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I started knitting in November of 2005. About 5 months after that I built up the courage to knit socks. My friend at my LYS taught me. I used Silver's tutorial for guidance when I got stuck. I had a hard time learning how to pick up stitches for the gussett. Now I have jumped that hurdle. I still have a hard time starting a sock on DPNs. But I think it's just me. I would like to learn the method using circs one of these days.

I also have only knitted 3 pairs so far and have about enough yarn to knit about 30 pairs right now. :rofling:

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I've never made socks. :shock:\

Go for it! We're here for you!!!!!!

dreamsherl
07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I started one last month. The top of the sock was large enough to go over my head. I put sock to the side for a while. I seem to keep buying sock yarn so I believe that I will try again in the future.

Feef
07-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I started my 1st pair in December '06, and had been knitting about 18 months or so by that time. Since then, I've completed 7 pairs. 6 for me, 1 for a friend in CA. And am currently working on a pair for the friend's monster child.

I use bamboo dpn's, but would like to learn ML and circular needle methods, but am intimidated by both. Weird, huh?

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I seem to keep buying sock yarn

I think that buying sock yarn is just as addicting as making socks. Every time I look at sock yarn, I can just see it made up into a sock. I envision the patterns I want to use with that yarn.

Too many skeins...too little time...

::::::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::::

Brandilyne
07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Ahhhh, the sweet siren call of socks! I was in your exact position, as I just started knitting about 5 months ago and as soon as I had mastered (ha!) the basics, I wanted to knit socks. I knit my first hilarious pink sock (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/myfirstsock.jpg)2 weeks after learning to knit. I thank the knitting gods for Silver's tutorial, because it made learning the facets of sock knitting an absolute dream! I echo what a few others suggested as far as using slightly heavier yarn for your first sock, as the teeny needles and super skinny sock yarn would have scared the bejesus out of me!

Also, Feef, if you are weird then so am I :lol: I am completely flummoxed by the idea of ML or knitting socks on two circs! Hee!

redheadrachel
07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I've been knitting for six months, and I just finished my first pair of socks. I was scared to try, but I made it out to be way scarier than it ended up being. One heel is substantially larger than the other heel, but I am not about to rip the whole thing out. So I'm satisfied wearing my imperfect socks, and I will definitely be making more as I can afford more sock yarn! :D It's perfect for knitting on the go, and it's small so I don't have to have a ton of wool sitting in my lap in the hot summer.

clb1968
07-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I have not made any yet, but I am on the search for just the right color, I will know it when I see it,LOL , and then I will do Silver's Sock tutorial.

aineepooh1
07-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I have made a total Of ~0~ socks.. b/c I am kinda scared of them...~!:passedout:

angel4ever
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I started knitting again approximately a year ago. I started a practice sock a few days ago using the magic loop method. Pretty simple! Once I receive my new needles from KnitPicks, I will start my 1st pair of socks. I can't wait! YAY! :cheering:

Lieke
07-04-2007, 02:01 AM
I have been a total chicken about knitting socks. I knit for 4 years now, and I knitted my first sock about a year ago. It was not only that I was afraid of it, but when I decided I was ready for a sock, I had to find yarn without wool. That was the hardest part of the sock :rofl:

rainberry
07-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I started knitting in March and I made my first sock (a baby sock) in May.

lissie
07-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Ahhhh, the sweet siren call of socks! I was in your exact position, as I just started knitting about 5 months ago and as soon as I had mastered (ha!) the basics, I wanted to knit socks. I knit my first hilarious pink sock (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/myfirstsock.jpg)2 weeks after learning to knit. I thank the knitting gods for Silver's tutorial, because it made learning the facets of sock knitting an absolute dream! I echo what a few others suggested as far as using slightly heavier yarn for your first sock, as the teeny needles and super skinny sock yarn would have scared the bejesus out of me!

Also, Feef, if you are weird then so am I :lol: I am completely flummoxed by the idea of ML or knitting socks on two circs! Hee!

Hey, that looks pretty good for a first attempt! Silver's tutorial makes it look do-able. :happydancing: I might just take the plunge soon once my DPNs are free. I'm currently practising knitting on DPNs by making SnB's cricket's techno-cozy in the round. 1 less seam to sew! :rofling: But man, my stitches between needles are ugly! They look so big and loose! And I keep poking myself with the DPNs! :lol:

ironmaiden
07-04-2007, 07:24 AM
That sock is cute - looks better than my first did lol.

DragonsChest
07-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I've never made socks. :shock: Jump into the sock pool - the water's fine!!!

My SO and his family teased me and my size 0 needles - they asked me why I was knitting with toothpicks. :lol: The My first socks were knitted with size 1, I called them toothpicks as well.

I also have only knitted 3 pairs so far and have about enough yarn to knit about 30 pairs right now. :rofling: I find your sock yarn stash normal!!! :muah:

Too many skeins...too little time...
Word. :thumbsup:

my stitches between needles are ugly! They look so big and loose! And I keep poking myself with the DPNs! :lol: I have found that knitting the stitch on the next needle over to the right needle each time will keep those ladders to a minimum. Just keep moving the knitting around like that. Sorry I'm not being very clear - I can envision what I'm talking about, just can't seem to master the wording. :ick: My cat likes to rub her whiskers on my DPN while I'm knitting, that and bite the ends. I worry that she'll poke herself in the eye, so I'm very careful.

Doublereeder2
07-04-2007, 09:00 AM
My driving reason for learning to knit was to knit socks so it was within a few months of beginning that I attempted them. I tried DPNs and had a difficult time, and I went to 2 circs and with Queen Kahuna's book in my lap and taught myself. The videos and tutorials on line are also great!

I found that now I prefer DPNs since so many patterns are written cuff down. If you are using DPNs, just remember that you only knit with 2 of them - the rest just hang out and keep you company :lol:

Oh - another thought - I actually knit a dozen of preemie hats on larger DPNS before I decided to try the itty bitty sock sized ones.

So go for it - after all, what is the worst thing that could happen? You have to rip them out and start again? :happydancing:

geekgolightly
07-04-2007, 07:10 PM
i started knitting the day i joined knittinghelp... sometime in january 06 and by april i knit my first pair. i heart socks. mostly because i like doing something intricate, but don't have the patience for bigger projects. socks are perfect.

and DPN's are so lovely. while working with it, it looks so delicate and intricate. i love it love it.

highly recommend jumping in and attempting as soon as possible. with silvers sock class, you will be able to do this.

annomalley
07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I started knitting in the spring of 06, but I didn't do my first sock until last winter. I also used Silver's Sock tutorial. For my very first sock, I did one on worsted weight acrylic yarn with size 7 dpn's, just to get the hang of working with dpn's and the mechanics of sock making. My second pair were house socks I did on the larger needles with worsted weight yarn. I've made other pairs of socks with smaller yarns and needles since then.

Now I've gotten addicted to making gloves. :)

vmdeangelo
07-04-2007, 08:31 PM
don't be afraid of the DPN's. Three weeks after I learned how to knit is when I made my first pair of socks! GO FOR IT!

PamJ
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I hate to admit it--over 50 years before I tried socks. And I only managed a few inches of one cuff. You are all an inspiration.