PDA

View Full Version : Oh man, this is hard

Feef
07-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I haven't had a cigarette since 11:57pm Saturday night (I wanted July 1 to be my quit date). I started taking Chantix 6 weeks ago as part of the plan to stop on July 1. I swear, that pill is MAGIC. Honestly. I'm also wearing a patch which is recommended. So far, so good. Physically, I am doing wonderfully well, with no cravings.

Ferpetessake though, mentally? ACK! GAG! Do NOT wander into MY mind. It's a dark, dangerous, dank (avoid.alliteration.always.) tenement building in a very bad neighborhood that one ought not enter alone.

Last night I wanted raspberry sherbet, but didn't dare go to the store for fear of caving in and buying a pack of smokes. My husband would never know, right? Riiiiiiiiiiight...it's not like he couldn't SMELL it on me.

Knitting usually saves my sanity -- we have 6 indoor only cats -- but not right now. I've screwed up the toe of a sock for a 2-year-old monster girl twice, so there it sits -----------> over there, on the couch.

Phew, I do feel better, and thank you's from the bottom of my pit for listening to my rant.

/end rant

PaperGirl
07-03-2007, 11:39 AM
:hug:

Quitting smoking is hard.

I know. Ive quit 3 times. :doh:

Granted right now, its nowhere NEAR as much as I used to, and only at night.

Good luck! :heart:

Silver
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Good luck!! You can do it! And I've been there, so I'm not just some crazy cheerleader. :D

My last smoke was on October 5th 2005 at 5:30pm.

GinnyG
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheering::cheer ing::cheering::cheering:

You CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep something simple at hand to knit during those moments of stress.

I do somoking cessation couseling as part of my job and know just how tough it can be!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mommy22alyns
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
You're doing great - I can't imagine how hard that must be. :hug::hug:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Man, I quit 8 years ago, and still remember it vividly.

Something that really helped me with the oral fixation (which strangely enough was my biggest problem quitting) was cinnamon or mint flavored toothpicks.

Good luck to you! The cravings don't last forever, and your mind will get back to normal in time. :)

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it dozens of times. :rofling:

Seriously, I am also in the process of quitting, using Wellbutrin, but it's a very, very hard thing to do.

If you haven't already, sign up at quitnet.com. It's a great support forum. I am TruckerGuy there.

Feef
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Thank all of you so much for your support!

This is my 4th attempt, and I am determined to be a non-smoking nurse.

Silver: congratulations on your success!

Ginny: YAY! I need a counselor *snork*

YarnMommy: I hope one day to say *I* have 8 years free from nicotine. Good idea on the toothpicks, too. I've been relying on bagels, choco chip cookies, tater chips...oy.

KnittingGuy: I will most definitely check out that site. Thank you for pointing me toward it.

I've also relied on something my closest friend once told me: 'move a muscle, change the thought'--so when I think about smoking I'm trying to move that muscle (even tho the brain isn't actually a muscle) and think of something else. Works great, when I can think of it! LOL

Silver
07-03-2007, 11:57 AM
If you haven't already, sign up at quitnet.com. It's a great support forum. I am TruckerGuy there.
I'm Silver925 at QuitNet. :thumbsup:
Although I rarely visit any more since I'm almost 2 years into my quit.

LibraryLady
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
:hug::muah::hug:

I quit for the very last time in 1988. Took me more times than I can remember to quit, mostly because of the habits. The last one I broke was the drinking alcohol and smoking one. The next hardest was the after-meal one.

Good luck Feef, PaperGirl and Knitting_Guy - it's absolutely the most wonderful feeling when you finally get it licked. :thumbsup:

And congrats Silver and YarnMommy, whoo hoo! Ain't it da bomb! :happydance:

LL

JoeE
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
One of my harder cigarettes to give up was the one I'd smoke after finishing cleaning the house. I sit down with a big ole glass of iced tea and have a congratulatory cigarette while I surveyed my pristine home. Since I can't have the cigarette any more, I live in filth...

AnaK
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Good for you and i hope it works for you this time.
For me it will be 1 year this September smoke free. I did it with Acupuncture and I found it the most painless method.:hug:

Feef
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
One of my harder cigarettes to give up was the one I'd smoke after finishing cleaning the house. I sit down with a big ole glass of iced tea and have a congratulatory cigarette while I surveyed my pristine home. Since I can't have the cigarette any more, I live in filth...

:roflhard:

*wipes away tears*

syndactylus
07-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm vervets at quitnet - 539 days! (AND I had to check! :cheering:)
You can do it! Think about all the yarn the universe owes you for the money you didn't spend on tar. :grin:
Quitnet lets you watch the seconds, it's great.

& someday you will smell the smoke and feel sick to your stomach, and never even want to again! I hope anyway.

I also used cinnamon, straws (but be careful - if you chew on the plastic long enough, you will end up with a mouthful of cuts), ginger roots, carrots, and dried (unsweetened) fruit. Anything durably chewy really did help.

Congratulations to you!
:cheering::cheering::cheering:

Ronda
07-03-2007, 05:54 PM

:roflhard:

:hug:for you Feef.

zip
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Good luck! :cheering:

My SO quit six or so weeks ago, so I'm at least smoking less. The one with a dirty martini after work is the hardest to avoid. The one during a break at work is the second hardest because it helps solve problems that stump one while inside and sitting. Although the one while driving is pretty fine, too.

didn't know there was a supportive online community. must check out quitnet. thanks to those of you who mentioned it!

Feef
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I knew I shouldn't be let loose outside the house with car keys and money. I know me. I knew the obsessive thoughts were there, and yet I went to the store anyway.

Yes, I bought a pack. Yes, I smoked part of one about 4 hours ago. And yes, it felt bad and tasted worse.

Truthfully, it's not the physical cravings. Those are handled quite well with the patch. It's the THOUGHTS.

Dammit.

I suppose though, that 2 or 3 drags in 3 days is far better than a pack per day.

Obviously the risk is that smoking again can creep in now, now that I've let that monster in.

:wall: :tap: :violin:

blueeyes28
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I quit almost 2 years ago and I had a couple of times when I caved and bought a pack and smoked one but then I ran the rest of the pack under running water so I wouldn'e be tempted to retrive them from the trash(gross I know)it happens don't beat yourself up over it just get rid of them and start again I remeber the day when I woke up and realized I wasn't a slave to my smokes anymore and it was a powerful moment.

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 09:25 PM
We all have slips. It's part of quitting. Lord knows I have. The trick is to just keep going back to being quit and making up your mind to be quit. Think about your reasons for quitting in the first place.

It's tough. Darned tough. But it IS possible.

I slipped tonight myself, so I know how you feel. We just have to get right back to that quit.

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
ACK! I blew my just over a week quit tonight. This really is hard.

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 10:10 PM

I've never smoked, but I watched my mom kick the habit...several times...

She kept starting back because she would gain weight. She finally stopped smoking when she figured out that chewing bubble gum helped fight the urge to light one up. I remember when she came back from the doctor about two or three years later, and they told her that her lungs showed absolutely no signs of her smoking for all of those years.

The end will be so worth it! Hang in there!!

Feef
07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
ACK! I blew my just over a week quit tonight. This really is hard.

I've quit bad things before, but nothing was as hard as this. Stoopithead tobacco companies put something like 300 chemicals in them so we'll stay addicted. Or so the story goes.

Oops, sorry...it's not their fault I smoke.

I'm sorry you smoked again, but thank you for the honesty. Funny...I don't judge you, but I'm judging the heck outta' me.

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Allow yourself lapses. It's like dieting...old habits are hard to change.

blueeyes28
07-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Think of all the hours or days you didn't smoke as the big picture.Also when I was quiting one thing that helped for a while was once I got to a point where the cravings were in check I bought a pack of ciggs and had my boyfriend at the time hide them and if I felt like I was going to go crazy for one he would give me one,the first night I had 2 but after that I did better it helped my anxiety to know they were there if I felt I couldn't do it.

annomalley
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I lurk here, but I have to delurk to give all of you guys who are quitting a big ol "hang in there" and don't give up,:thumbsup: even if you slip (and it's okay if you slip). I've been in your shoes, too. I tried to quit several times myself, but I finally did it with Wellbutrin. On September 23 of this year, it will be three years since I smoked a cigarette. I had tried pretty much everything else to quit before that, and I was glad I found something that worked for me.

Have any of you ever thought about changing your daily routines (all or part)? One thing that I think helped me out a lot when I finally quit was that at the same time, I also moved, so not only was I moving into a new place that didn't smell like cigarette smoke, but the disruption of having to pack and move also threw a wrench into my daily routine enough that when I was settled in the new place, I had to create a whole new routine. I know that all the other times I tried to quit, I had a very, very hard time giving up the first thing in the morning cigarette, the after meal cigarette, and the driving in the car cigarette. It's the mental part of smoking that is the hardest to break, and that's what did me in the other times I tried quitting, too.

If that doesn't work, just think of how much more yarn you can buy with all the money you're saving by not buying cigarettes. :D

Good luck to all of you. You can do it!:cheering::cheering::cheering:

leedsfan
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Well done for you,i gave up 15 years ago,i picked a day,made sure that all fags were gone,when ever i felt a craving i ate or knitted,after a week it did not bother me,my hubby smokes and some of my friends do.I am glad i gave up.

ironmaiden
07-05-2007, 09:05 AM
You can definitely do it. I quit in March of 2006 and never looked back. It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I think the mental component is the hardest part - you just have to be strong as hell during those moments and they will pass.

larudden
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I haven't had a cigarette since Saturday night and I crave one just about every second!:hair:

There have been lots of times this week when I've been tempted to go out and buy a pack. Man! It's crazy but I just LOVE the whole act of smoking. I don't know why but I just do.................

I was smoking maybe 4 or 5 a day, which I thought wasn't bad. Some days it would be more, some days less.

Every once in a while I "quit." Then I start feeling anxious and panicky and so I buy a pack.

I never smoke at work and never in the car. It's just at home, outside by the pool.

What is UP with that? :tap:

suecq
07-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Quiting is hard, but well worth the effort. Kudos to you.