PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - not a single topic here?

Carrie218
07-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I can't believe I'm the first to post... No one else has gotten sucked into needing the latest and greatest technology?

It is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

BinkyKat
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
It looks cool, but would you believe...ND doesn't have the service yet to support it.:?? Nothing like perpetuating the myth we're in the covered wagon era here...:teehee:

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
You know, when I think about what it can do, all I see is $$ for the cost of the extra services.

In November, I traded in my old cell phone for a Fusic, an mp3 player, phone, camera, and camcorder. It was an upgrade for me, but I still won't pay extra for the online services that are available. I'm happy with what I've got (for a change ;) )!

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I added it up and have spent less money on different devices to do all the same stuff. I prefer to keep the devices separate. I'd hate to not be able to make a phone call because I drained the battery listening to music.

Maybe if they decide to actually include a changeable battery it might be worth it, but as it is now I'd rather have separate devices.

BinkyKat
07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
At a recent bday party for dh's boss, about 8 people got our cameral phones ready when they put a sombrero on the boss to sing him happy birthday. I still think it's a hoot that we whip out our phones to catch that "can't miss it" photo:roflhard:

feministmama
07-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I added it up and have spent less money on different devices to do all the same stuff. I prefer to keep the devices separate. I'd hate to not be able to make a phone call because I drained the battery listening to music.

That's what I say. If my camera breaks at least I still have my phone. Same thing with electric windows. If the car breaks down at least I can wind the windows. :think:...well that doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean :doh:

bellium
07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
i can't wait until it starts malfunctioning and has all sorts of technical problems (as first generation apple products are notorious for doing) and watching all the people who spent $600 on a phone cry...

PCwombat
07-03-2007, 11:15 PM
That's what I say. If my camera breaks at least I still have my phone. Same thing with electric windows. If the car breaks down at least I can wind the windows. :think:...well that doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean :doh:

Hehe, my car has manual windows, and the way I look at it, if I drive into a body of water, I'll be able to open the window and get out. I think it's a comforting thought.

As for the iPhones, eh, they're really pretty nifty, but I could and will easily do without.

Very funny video about a lady getting pwned re: buying ipods.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5MACVWEAypk

geekgolightly
07-05-2007, 12:05 AM
its so hot. i love that thing. i wish i had the cash to buy it! it makes me swoon!:heart:

cathoo
07-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Nooooo... this was my iPhone-free zone! Almost every single blog I read has been all over it for the past month!

Like Vermont, Alaska and the rest of the world, I will not be able to get an iPhone until Apple realizes that limiting the carrier to just AT&T was a bad idea.

mulene
07-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I just want a phone that makes phone calls. I don't need all the fancy stuff. Yes a camera can be fun and useful (when having a traffic accident etc can photograph the damage / person involved).

However, ultimately, I want a phone that has a long battery life, is easily rechargeable and makes calls without having to press a zillion buttons.

I like Nokia phones =D

AmandaC
07-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I love my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone ... it's skinny, black and orange, has a phone, camera, walkman, internet, video calling, games :yadda: ... actually the only thing lacking is a radio .... other than that - it's perfect! orange is my favourite colour and it has more memory on it than my old laptop!

iphone -schmyphone :teehee: when it eventually comes to the UK it is going to be one service provider too! how silly!

geekgolightly
07-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I can't believe I'm the first to post... No one else has gotten sucked into needing the latest and greatest technology?

It is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I think we are surrounded. :oo:

*whispers* iphone is the best thing since sliced bread. it makes me dizzy and lusty just looking at the things it does. the aesthetics are perfection.

Kaydee
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Remember when the Razr came out and people went crazy for it? I think it went for almost $300 depending where you got it. Now its the phone that comes free or really cheap with lots of plans. Not that the iphone is going to come free but I bet after all the hype dies down the price will come down too.:shrug:

i can't wait until it starts malfunctioning and has all sorts of technical problems (as first generation apple products are notorious for doing) and watching all the people who spent $600 on a phone cry...

I know! I got a ipod mini when they first came out and had so many problems with it. I wouldn't buy another new apple product until they've been out for a while and the kinks were worked out of it.

Like Vermont, Alaska and the rest of the world, I will not be able to get an iPhone until Apple realizes that limiting the carrier to just AT&T was a bad idea.

I agree, I think that was a mistake. I used to have Cingular (AT&T now) and the service was horrible so I wouldn't get an iphone unless they offered it with other providers.

iza
07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm looking for a cell phone these days and I am SOOO confused. tri-mode, GSM, CDMA, bluetooth, blablabla... not to mention the confusion with respect to the different rate plans. :rollseyes: It's ridiculous. I'm reading dozens of reviews and forums to get a reasonably good phone (nothing fancy, just good sound quality, reception and battery life) and best plans. All the reviews I read contradict each other. :shock: Customer service seems to be awful no matter what company you choose. :wall: I have no idea what I will choose.

The iPhone does look really cool but... it's not for me. I'm more of a 50$ phone kind of person :teehee:

kby101
07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
As a tech junkie, here is my humble opinion.

1. never buy a first generation - too many bugs & features get better as later generations are created
2. Biggest flaw?? NO QWERTY KEYBOARD!!!

I will stick to my Treo.

PaperGirl
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Shoot....I didnt even get a iPod till my first mp3 player bit the dust a while back. And even then I didnt WANT the iPod....I was looking at TONS of new ones...

I dont need the iPhone...and I sure as heck wont spend 600 bucks on the stupid thing. :fingerwag:

dakatzmeow
07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
too expensive. love my razr (NOT the freebie ones available now) and mp3 player.

you guys have fun with your iphones. i'll just watch.

boyforpele13
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
did you see people are selling them on ebay for upwards of $1000?!?!?!?!

i came late to the Razr party, but I LOVE mine. I have a more recent release with some upgrades from the prior and I seriously have NEVER loved a phone the way I love this phone, and it does have an MP3 player as well, which I have yet to ever have a use for.

As for aesthetics, I am seriously disappointed in the IPhone. I couldn't freakin WAIT to get one, but then saw it and was kinda ech. While I think the touch screen is a really neat-o idea, I also know what the face of my 2 IPods look like and that TOTALLY turns me off, I can't stand smootchies. If I had no access to the internet, didn't already own 2 ipods, and didn't have a cell phone, AND wanted AT&T service, MAYBE I would consider it, but it's really just a waste if you have any of the 3 other components, IMO anyway.

knitasha
07-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Okay, I read the reviews and the hype.
What's the big deal?
Nothing becomes lukewarm
faster than this week's cool.

Chel
07-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I bet if it came with yarn we would be more interested in it! With a screen that large they should at least include gauge support or free pattern help 1-800 service or SOMETHING for goodness sake!!!!

iza
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
:roflhard: Chel, I agree!!! :roflhard:

nadja la claire
07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Why spend all that $$$$$ on a phone? I know I sound like an old fogie but I just need a phone that I can make and receive calls on. We didn't get a cell phone until Oct. of 2000 because we were delivering some of Jerry's artwork to a gallery in NYC and we wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stranded if the car broke down on the NJ Turnpike, and even then we only got 1. We didn't get a 2nd phone until after the attacks of Sept. 11th 2001. Wow I guess I am an old fogie. We need a crotchety old man/woman emoticon :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

AnaK
07-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I was just reading that to change battery the phone has to be shipped to Apple. Charge is 79$ pluss shipping. It will take about 3 days. For that time you can have Iphone loaner for a low price of $29:P:rollseyes:

geekgolightly
07-07-2007, 07:12 AM
As a tech junkie, here is my humble opinion.

1. never buy a first generation - too many bugs & features get better as later generations are created
2. Biggest flaw?? NO QWERTY KEYBOARD!!!

I will stick to my Treo.

i've got a treo too, and was really upset when it didn't work out of the box with my macbook :mad: otherwise i like it. its just not droolworthy.

and it does have a qwerty keyboard. its a touch screen one. my friend brooke took about a day to get used to it, but assimilated rather quickly to touch screen qwerty

Angelia
07-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I like the idea of the iPhone in a sort of ephemeral sense, but really, I don't want that much technology in my hands at once. Just having a cell phone, iPod, and laptop makes me feel too....connected. And not in a way that makes me feel whole or positive.

OMG, I'm beyond old fogie--I think I've gone Luddite :teehee:

Vendie
07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
i wants one badly :shifty: but it won't happen for a very long time, since I have a perfectly functional iPod and I just upgraded my phone last summer.

BostonBecca
07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I want one sooo badly, but I am going to wait until the price comes down or my contract is up with stinky Verizon who doesn't have the iphone.

BostonBecca
07-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Also, it wasn't APPLE that chose the carrier, the iPhone was offered to other carriers and they didn't take them up on it. Also, why all the Apple hate? Really, what have they ever done to you? Microsoft is a giant, anti trust violation just waiting to screw you and they have been screwing you for a long time. Apple has been creating quality products with excellent warranties (I know, because they replaced my computer FOR FREE when the screen had faint marks on it from the keyboard). Try getting Dell to do that.

geekgolightly
07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Also, it wasn't APPLE that chose the carrier, the iPhone was offered to other carriers and they didn't take them up on it. Also, why all the Apple hate? Really, what have they ever done to you? Microsoft is a giant, anti trust violation just waiting to screw you and they have been screwing you for a long time. Apple has been creating quality products with excellent warranties (I know, because they replaced my computer FOR FREE when the screen had faint marks on it from the keyboard). Try getting Dell to do that.

<3:muah:

Stiney
07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Apple isn't stupid; the iPhone will be available from all carriers at some point in the future. Most "fancy" phones, like the Razr, are limited to one carrier at first, before they become widely available. (Remember when all phones were carrier exclusive? :ick:)

I really, really, really want an iPhone, but a) Nothing could make me switch from using Verizon, and b) Nothing could induce me to buy a 1st generation Apple product. By the time the iPhone is no longer AT&T exclusive, many of the bugs will be worked out, and the price will have dropped. I also theorize that battery kinks will have been worked out, and the hard-drive space will have increased-it's pretty paltry compared to an iPod.

I like it because I DO carry my iPod and and phone around with me everywhere, and it's annoying. I'd much rather have the one device. :shrug:

Rorshach
07-09-2007, 03:49 AM
IMHO the iphone is a waste of money, it's not upgradeable, and to be honest, too much technology packed into one thing. granted having the all in one device is nice, but what's the point when the learning curve is too high?

Though, BostonBecca, in regards to having Dell replace a machine because there were marks on the keyboard, you're right. Though why replace the machine, when they can replace the screen, they will do that, if the machine is still in warranty. I know that for fact as I used to work for them.

knitasha
07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
In regards to having Dell replace a machine because there were marks on the keyboard, you're right. Though why replace the machine, when they can replace the screen, they will do that, if the machine is still in warranty. I know that for fact as I used to work for them.

When my Dell desktop went into a coma, Dell sent a technician to my house to install a new motherboard. Which is why, although Macs are so much prettier, I just ordered a Dell Xps to replace my 8-year-old laptop, which still works fine. For that kind of service and longevity, I can live with Microsoft. :rollseyes:

BostonBecca
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
a) Laptop
b) Dell's basically suck at everything. You might disagree with me, that's fine. I've used them: laptops and desktops and I have never had so many issues with them freezing, being slow, and generally taking forever to do anything. I wouldn't pay one single dollar for the best Dell you could provide.

This is probably a clash of cultures between Mac users and non-Mac users like you see all over the place. All I can say is that we are converting you "others" and I am so glad. My entire family has been converted just by seeing how cool and well functioning my brothers' and my Macs are and many of my friends have been converted as well.

Btw, my Mac has NEVER, and I mean not once, frozen on me.

I am done posting about this, cause honestly I :heart: my Mac and if you don't, cool.

The iPhone rocks.

Carrie218
07-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Okay, I've had my phone about two weeks and I gotta say it IS the coolest thing since sliced bread. It is true that I'm a techie-geek (I own an ISP and am able to buy yarn by selling bandwidth!) but have to marvel at the technology.