PDA

View Full Version : Fave Movies!

PCwombat
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
So, you're stranded on a deserted island for 20 years. Fortunately, you have a dvd/vhs player and a tv. What five movies (or less, if you want) do you bring and why? (Can you tell I'm bored tonight? :teehee:)

(In no particular order.)

Blazing Saddles - You have to have Mel Brooks. And, Blazing Saddles is one of his finest. I would list my favorite jokes, but the list would be half the movie. I just absolutely love every part of this movie. I've seen it so many times, and I could see it so many more. The first must have been when I was eight or nine. (My dad raised me on the classics. :drool:)

Harold and Maude - A 1970s cult film, this may be my favorite movie ever. It's very dark comedy (the main character Harold stages fake suicides), but some scenes are just hilarious. I love the theme of the movie. And, the soundtrack is amazing. Cat Stevens does the entire thing.

Billy Elliot - I'm a huge anglophile, so this movie is great. I love the accents. And, of course, the story is just so good. Anothr movie with a great soundtrak.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Okay, cliched, perhaps. But, this is just one of those movies you could watch over and over. Save Ferris!

Fight Club - I figured I needed a more action-y, gritty movie to offset the comedies and more feel good movies I've chosen. Fight Club is just great, great acting, directing. The feel and tone are just spot on. It does a really good job of transposing a Chuck Palahniuk novel to the big screen. And, Brad Pitt. :inlove:

Okay, so, what movies do you like??? Even if you just wanna list them and no descriptions. I think favorite movies can really tell you something about the person. (I think these movies are a good profile of me.)

Feef
07-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Green Mile -- whenever I'm depressed, I watch that movie. There's something very spiritual about it for me (once you get past the abuse and electrocution-gone-bad scenes).

The Godfather Saga -- It's really all one story anyway

Musicals -- too many to list, but haven't seen one I don't like

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy -- again, all one story

This is way too hard! LOL

ADAllen
07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Here is my top ten movie list (http://www.xanga.com/CurrentlyPurring/502006887/top-ten-movies.html) from my birthday last year... surprisingly it hasn't changed too much. (I suppose that grad school is taking up my movie time) I would probably find a space for Bridge to Terabithia in my top ten and add Pan's Labyrinth to my honorable mentions.

beckyrhae
07-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Man... I know I'll leave one off and I'll want to come back and edit my reply :)

The Professional (aka Lťon): I LOVE this movie. Gary Oldman is bloody brilliant, Natalie Portman is so cute and Jean Reno just makes me flutter. This movie fits my moods... sometimes all I see are the funny parts, other times it makes me so sad.

The Princess Bride: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die. Is this a kissing book? INCONCEIVABLE. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. As you wish............ I could go on and on and on.

The Last of the Mohicans: I can't say enough about this film... the setting is breathtaking, the story is beautiful and the love story behind the love story will have you weeping for days.

The Replacement Killers: CHOW YUN FAT.

The Empire Strikes Back: My favoirte of the Star Wars movies. I consider listing all six as one story cheating... even if Lucas says it is. :)

Umm.... Damn... one spot left. (gives her DVD collection a good once over)

The Lover: I only have this on VHS. I keep my VHS player for this movie. Its my favorite "me time" movie. God the Chairman is SEXY!

beckyrhae
07-04-2007, 03:57 AM
so I obviously cant count. LOL... Well I'm not taking one off my list! So you just have to live with my list of SIX movies:rofling:

Quiltlady
07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Mine are as in order...

1. Phantom of the Opera:inlove:
2. Possession:inlove:
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Pride and Predjuce
5. Whethering Heights

I'm a romantic..can't you tell? :inlove:

bobi1218
07-04-2007, 09:36 AM
1. Grosse Pointe Blank
2. Say Anything (I have a bit of a John Cusack thing...)
3. Lord of the Rings trilogy
4. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
5. Memphis Belle
6. Enemy at the Gates

I know, that's more than 5, but I couldn't narrow it down any more than that :)

Mariblue
07-04-2007, 10:54 AM
1. Pride and Prejudice (the BBC Colin Firth version)
2. Sense and Sensibility
3. Emma
4. Persuasion
5.The Importance of Being Ernest

There are other movies I like equally as well (Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the newer Pride and Prejudice version), but the above are the classic romantics that I always return too.
Oh, and if we were only allowed five movies, I'd sneak in a sixth and have to say Dear Frankie (Gerard Butler.) And a seventh, Waking Ned Divine.
There, I'm done. :lol:
ETA: Oh yeah, and the Princess Bride too.

debinoz
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd just have to hope I drowned because I can't live without my Doctor Who DVD's and that's 100+ or my 50's sci-fi collection..20+.

Jax3303
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
1- Steel Magnolias
2- True Romance
3- Fight Club
4- The wedding singer
5- The Shawshank Redemption

nadja la claire
07-04-2007, 01:58 PM
1. Citizen Kane

2. The Producers (the original)

3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being

4.Taxi Driver

5. Godfather 1 & 2

6. Monty Python's Life of Brian

7. Monty Python's Meaning of Life

8. Monty Python and the Holly Grail

9. Young Frankenstein

10. Fargo

I know you said 5 but I just couldn't do it, you're lucky I stopped at 10. I love a good classic movie and I've got tons. Besides who could watch the same 5 movies for 20 years. So just to be a pain I'd like to add; anything with Bette Davis especially All About Eve and Now Voyager also just about anything with Barbra Stanwyck. M with Peter Lori. Raising Arizona, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, Blazing Saddles, Radio Days, Sleeper, Bananas, Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, Cinema Paradiso and A Room With a View. OK, OK sorry, I'll stop. Don't forget a way to make popcorn and a ton of really good red and white wine.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

chrislt8
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
1. Gone With the Wind
2. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
3. Remember the Titans
4. Return to Me
5. Gigi (really ANY musical - but if I could only bring 1 this would be it)

Yep, yep, yep - a sentimental traditionalist at heart :lol:

Chel
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
1. Under The Tuscan Sun
2. Only You (Robert Downey Jr. and Marissa Tomei version)
3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
4. Home is Where the Heart Is
5. My Big Fat Greek Wedding

PaperGirl
07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Cast Away. Great How To right there. :roflhard:

But seriously..
In no particular order...

Snakes on a Plane
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
The Fifth Element
Fever Pitch
Armageddon or Gleaming the Cube or Pump Up The Volume (BIG toss up)Now, if I had my druthers....there would be more, like
Gone with The Wind,
Breakfast at Tiffanys,
The Sound of Music,
The King and I
Con Air/The Rock/Gone in 60 Seconds
Indy Jones

auburnchick
07-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Hmmm...

1) Gone With the Wind...my all-time favorite

2) The Little Mermaid -- I just love the music in this

3) 13 Going on 30 -- Ahhhh...the 80's flashbacks (the Thriller dance) -- and I just love Jennifer Garner

4) Gladiator -- I'm such a history buff...that period of history is just fascinating

5) Grease

and one other...

6) Dirty Dancing -- the dancing and the music :::::::sigh:::::

Music is such an important part of movies for me...hence my picks

zip
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Cast Away. Great How To right there. :roflhard:

But seriously..
In no particular order...
Snakes on a Plane
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
The Fifth Element
Fever Pitch
Armageddon or Gleaming the Cube or Pump Up The Volume (BIG toss up)Now, if I had my druthers....there would be more, like
Gone with The Wind,
Breakfast at Tiffanys,
The Sound of Music,
The King and I
Con Air/The Rock/Gone in 60 Seconds
Indy Jones

Excellent choices! mostly ;)
I can't believe you named SoaP. :rofl: Have you seen my shirt?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/220131735_8150636672.jpg

Braden
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
My favorites are:

Gone With the Wind

The Star Wars Trilogy

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Grudge (1 and 2)

Harry Potter series

Forrest Gump

Phaedra
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
1) The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (or any movie with Maggie Smith)
2) The Libertine (Johnny Depp, ahem):drool:
3) any VeggieTales movies, shows,etc. (the quality is great, the humor very addictive)
4) The Lion in Winter (Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins - great dialogue/acting)
5) any old Bette Davis movie (I just like her)

PaperGirl
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Excellent choices! mostly ;)
I can't believe you named SoaP. :rofl: Have you seen my shirt?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/220131735_8150636672.jpg

Ahahahaha! I have a white one with SLJ and "The Saying" on it...
I was at the midnight premeire when it came out. I love that stupid movie. :roflhard:

jjminarcik
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Okay, let's see how close to only 5 that I can get. . .

1. Cinderella
2. Office Space
3. Dirty Dancing
4. Flashdance
5. Friday
6. Pretty Woman

I could do on forever, but I guess that will have to do! :rofling:

orcoastknitter
07-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Now you all are going think I am some weirdo, but here is my list:

1. Finding Nemo
2. The Notebook
3. Psycho
4. The Shining
5. Silence of the Lambs
6. Ocean's 12

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

letah75
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
1. Boondock Saints

2. Pump up the Volume

3. All About my Mother

nadja la claire
07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
1) The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (or any movie with Maggie Smith)
2) The Libertine (Johnny Depp, ahem):drool:
3) any VeggieTales movies, shows,etc. (the quality is great, the humor very addictive)
4) The Lion in Winter (Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins - great dialogue/acting)
5) any old Bette Davis movie (I just like her)

I forgot about Maggie Smith and Katherine Hepburn. I love The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and The Lion in Winter. I also forgot about Caddy Shack and Meatballs. See you can't just do 5.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

KnitClickChick
07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Oh, I don't know if I can name just five... how about 10?

Sense & Sensibility - I adore English movies! Love Emma Thompson
Gone With the Wind - I would love to have Scarlet's strength and courage
Shawshank Redemption - Just an awesome movie and I love Morgan Freeman!
Fried Green Tomatoes -- Wish I had Idgy's nerve
Steel Magnolias - I love a movie that makes me cry
Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea -- Jonathon Crombie, who plays Gilbert, is just hot!!
Beaches - I bawl every time!!
When Harry Met Sally -- Makes me laugh
Drop Dead Fred - so funny!
Wild Hearts Can't be Broken - True story about a girl who did a high diving horse show back in the 1930's, and goes blind in a diving accident. Again, it makes me cry.

Also high on my list:
Sleeping With the Enemy, Pretty Woman, Mystic Pizza -- ok, pretty much any movie with Julia Roberts!!

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Legally Blonde, Where the Heart Is....

geekgolightly
07-08-2007, 06:55 AM
1. Santa Sangre (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098253/)
2. Black Snake Moan (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462200/)( a real surprise considering the marketing of that film.)
3. Secret Life of Words (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430576/)
4. Blue (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108394/)(of the trilogy from Kieslowski)
5. Toto le Heros
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103105/)
and an extra
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/) <3

Kaydee
07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Its way to hard just to pick 5 but here are a few of my faves (in no particular order):

Love Actually- probably my #1. I've watched it over and over and every time it just makes you feel good.

Top Gun- Tom Cruise when he was actually not crazy.

Steel Magnolias-I cry every time.

Elf- Itís so cute, and Will Farrell is so innocent like a child in the movie. I love it.

Goodfellas- I'm not sure what it is about this movie, but every time its on tv I watch.

Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Bronson version)- He's so clever in his plotting. I love how everything doesn't come together until the end.

Ocean's 11, 12,13- Same as with Thomas Crown

Zoolander-"What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building? The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!":roflhard:

ADAllen
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Its way to hard just to pick 5 but here are a few of my faves (in no particular order):

Love Actually- probably my #1. I've watched it over and over and every time it just makes you feel good.

Top Gun- Tom Cruise when he was actually not crazy.

Steel Magnolias-I cry every time.

Elf- Itís so cute, and Will Farrell is so innocent like a child in the movie. I love it.

Goodfellas- I'm not sure what it is about this movie, but every time its on tv I watch.

Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Bronson version)- He's so clever in his plotting. I love how everything doesn't come together until the end.

Ocean's 11, 12,13- Same as with Thomas Crown

Zoolander-"What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building? The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!":roflhard:
I love Love Actually! I could watch that movie over and over again!

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I love this thread. People have such different tastes. I have a hard time sitting through movies these days. I don't know why; I used to love going to the movies. Anyhow, here are some that I've loved through the years: Spirit of St. Louis, Rear Window, Meet me in St. Louis (I don't know why the St. Louis theme, I didn't go there until my son went to college there), Sound of Music, Blazing Saddles, Radio Days, Annie Hall, Sixth Sense, Harold and Maude, Dr. Strangelove, The Pink Panther, Tora Tora Tora, The Sting.

letah75
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Oops, forgot:

Super Troopers
The Dark Crystal (BEST EVER)
Live Flesh (no it's not dirty :lol:)
Silence of the Lambs
ANY Kevin Smith film (he's my hero!)
and
Office Space

linknit41
10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
all time favorite-* Chariots of Fire* every time it is on tv i watch it; also like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, --don't see many movies tho, and usually once is enough! linknit41

Plantgoddess+
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I find that the older I get the fewer movies I watch, but I do have some dvds that I watch quite often.
1. Lord of the Rings
2. Harry Potter
3. Mystery Alaska ( my favorite Russell Crowe movie, and I love all the knitted items.)
4. Field of Dreams
5. Mama Mia
There are a lot of older ones I like as well. I tend to prefer movies that make me feel happy or make me laugh.

saracidaltendencies
10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Hmm, tough! I'd have to say my 5 picks would be:

1. Donnie Darko

2: Bubba Ho-Tep

3: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

4: Dumb and Dumber (such a stupid movie but, it cracks me up!)

5: Monster's ball

If I could bring a few more, just in case one (or more) of the others was all scratched up :teehee: they'd be:

Eraserhead

Levity

O Brother Where Art Thou

Harold and Maude

The Man Who Wasn't There

Puddinpop
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Fried Green Tomatoes
Steel Magnolias
Follow Me Boys (Kurt Russell's first movie, I had a crush)
Urban Cowboy
Grease
Gidget
Gidget Goes Hawaiin
The Devil Wears Prada
Mystic Pizza
The Other Side Of The Mountain
About A Boy
Anne Of Green Gables
White Christmas
Sweet Home Alabama
The Christmas Movie with Jimmy Stewart
The Glass Bottom Boat

I can't stop.. Mostly old movies.

ladyjessica
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I know I won't be able to stop at five, but here goes. :teehee:

1) Gone With The Wind - This movie always has and always will be my favorite. I watched it when I was about 10 and fell in love with it, and I've probably seen it well over 100 times since.

2) Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version, not, I repeat, NOT, Keira Knightley) - What can I say? I was in high school when this premiered on A&E and I still get butterflies every time Mr. Darcy says "my dearest, loveliest Elizabeth." P&P is also my favorite book. Yeah, I know I'm a dork. :aww:

3) Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea - these movies (and books) were such an integral part of my childhood, and I too had the biggest crush on Jonathan Crombie. :teehee:

4) All Harry Potter flicks (although it wouldn't kill me if Goblet of Fire somehow got lost at sea)

5) Any musical. Musicals are one of the great loves of my life. My favorites are The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Meet Me In St. Louis, The King and I, Oklahoma, Singin' In the Rain... I could go on and on and on. hehe

6) Any Hitchcock. He was just a master, but I particularly love Psycho, Rear Window, and Rebecca.

7) The Wedding Singer. I'm not normally a big Adam Sandler fan, but there's just something very sweet and real about this one.

8) Young Frankenstein. Just one of the funniest things I have ever seen. PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ.

9) Christmas movies. They're all good.

10) The Wizard of Oz

I really just love movies. I'll watch just about anything, but these are just some of the ones I could watch over and over and not get tired of them. I also love horror movies, particularly The Shining, and cheesy ones from the 70s and 80s that you know were probably pretty scary when they were made but which are kind of funny now. I also love old movies. There's just nothing like the glamour of Old Hollywood. And romantic comedies, and dramas, and historical pictures.

Okay. I'll stop talking now. :aww:

MoniDew
10-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I don't think I can count any better than the rest of you ;) , but here is my attempt at a list:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Pirates of the Carabbean Trilogy
Return to Me
While You Were Sleeping
Kate & Leopold
You've Got Mail
Under the Tuscan Sun
'Til There Was You
Apollo 13
Back to the Future
The Matrix
Independance Day
Men in Black
Star Trek: First Contact (yeah, I know, but I love it)
Shawshank Redemption
Bicentennial Man (no one's ever heard of it, no one gets it, but it's fantastic - once you get it)
Great old musicals - any
________
Mr2 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_MR2)

ShowDucky81
10-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Ok, I'm gonna be unorthodox. All of those movies are great but I love these...

In no particular order:

1. Walking Across Egypt: If you haven't seen this movie, you must try to find it. Granted it is a little difficult to find, but you'll be glad you put in an effort. Ellen Burstyn portrays an elderly widow who befriends a juvenile delinquent played by Jonathan Taylor Thomas. It's not only funny, it's heartwarming. My husband showed me this movie when we were dating and it is still his favorite movie. Everyone he has recommended it to has loved it.

2. Princess Mononoke: Granted, I think I'm the only one that has mentioned a Japanese Anime. Well, hey...it is rich in story. You actually feel like you are in a different world when you are watching this movie. It may help me forget I'm stranded on an island.

3. Imitation of Life (Lana Tuner version): This is a must see. When I need a good cry, this movie never fails me. It's is very dramatic and deals with racial issues that were really sensitive in the 1950's.

4. Ghost: The famous pottery love scene. This movie has all the genres mixed into one movie (thriller, romance, drama, adventure, comedy etc.) It's just that good. :)

5. The Lion King: Just because it's the greatest Disney movie ever!!!

XD

Ronda
10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
1. When Harry Met Sally
2. Fried Green Tomatoes
3. Steel Magnolias
4. Princess Bride
5. Apollo 13

beldaraan
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
1. The Prestige
2. The Prestige
3. The Prestige
4. The Prestige
5. THE PRESTIGE

Yes, I would have five copies of the same movie because it is that good. It's brilliant. It's a movie I could watch over and over and still notice something new. It has Hugh Jackman in it and he has his shirt off in it...RAWR!!!

Did I mention how much I love The Prestige?!

Debra Michelle
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
1. Sweet Home Alabama
2. Overboard (any movie from the 80's really)
3. Steel Magnolias
4. Gone with the Wind
5. The Sound of Music

It's very hard to pick just five!

Puddinpop
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Does anyone remember the movie about the wife of a preacher and how she found it difficult to be a preacher's wife? They went on a picnic and got the children that their father would never let them do anything and they took them to the picnic. One of the boys drowned in the lake. It was a good movie. Also, there was an old one that this woman had an affair with this man and he had young children. Something ends up happening to the man and she loved him so much, but the children wouldn't have anything to do with her, until finally the little boy gives her a chance. I wish my brain would think of these titles. They were some good movies. Probably 50's movies.
I told you I can't stop.... I love Coal Miner's Daughter.

Sunshine's Mom
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
1. Big Trouble in Little China
2. Evolution
3. Galaxy Quest
4. Steel Magnolias
5. Evil Under the Sun - Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot
6. Noises Off
7. Rare Birds
8. Clue
9. Clerks
10. The Princess Bride
11. Fifth Element
12. Total Recall
13. Escape from NY
14. Snatch
15. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

In no particular order, but the first 5 came right off the top of my head so that must be my reality. That was fun.

ArtLady1981
10-31-2008, 05:43 PM
1) Castaway
2) Family Man
3) My Big Fat Greek Wedding
4) Sleepless in Seattle
5) You've Got Mail

Feel-good, touching movies.

auntcrafty
10-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Okay, I'm joining those who couldn't narrow down their choices -- I have too many favorites!

1) Pride & Prejudice A & E's version!
2) Persuasion PBS & BBC versions
3) Sense & Sensibility PBS version since I'm tired of the one with Emma & Kate
4) Holiday Inn
5) Belles of St. Mary
6) One Night With the King (favorite movie to have on while knitting!)
7) Little Women (with Katherine Hepburn!)
8) Jane Eyre (any version)
9) Cheaper By the Dozen -- original 1950's version with Clifton Webb & Myrna Loy
10) McClintock! -- got to have a John Wayne movie!

1knittychick
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
There are so many that I really enjoy watching over and over, but if I have to limit it to 5 (and I know I can't):cool:

1. Gone with the Wind
2. Steel Magnolias
3. Sweet Home Alabama
4. National Treasure ( and its sequel)
5. Pirates of the Caribbean trio
6. Its a Wonderful Life
7. Miracle on 34th Street (nothing like the good ole B and W)
8. any movie with John Wayne

Crycket
11-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Harry Potter 1-5....*smiles*....

Well...ok...those were the obvious choices coming from me...how about

The Wrong Guy - David Foley, Colm Feore, Jennifer Tilly....etc...this is a story about a guy who thinks he is the murder suspect in the killing of his boss, so he runs from the law, all the while the real killer is on his heals, and thinks he is the cop that is trying to chase him down....very funny, with cameos of joe flarrety, Kevin McDonald, the Barenaked Ladies, Lorn Michael, and I am sure there are more....

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...If I had to just pick on, this would be it, it was my favorite book, and is my fave of the movies so far...

Rocky Horror Picture show...it is a staple...

A Shot in the Dark, the second of the Pink Panther movies. Didn't much care for the first one, and latter ones are funny, but A shot in the dark is probably the best of them IMO!

And for the child in me...I would bring Secret of Nimh....cause I watched it 1,000,000 x as a child....