PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Want to Knit a Sheldon? (the turtle, not the webmaster)

Miss Moosey
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi all!

I discovered Sheldon on knitty.com a few months ago; he looks like the most adorable little thing :heart:! Would anybody else like to try and knit a Sheldon with me?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTsheldon.html
http://sheldontheturtle.blogspot.com/

Rebecca

pandaca
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh, I've been wanting to knit Sheldon for months! He's so cute. Unfortunatley, I have to knit an "emergency" baby shower present for a friend that will take the next few weeks since I'm a super slow knitter.

Maybe I can do Sheldon in August!

knitqueen
07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm really hoping to do this, just for fun - my kids are 4 and 5 year old boys and and we have a million stuffed animals around here already but I may just have to make a couple from stash yarn for them to play with. I love how the shell comes off.

Wonder if this would make good vacation knitting? Hmmmm. We're going on holidays next week and I was planning to bring socks along, but I've finished a few pairs of socks this month already and am a bit socked out at the moment. Something different and cute might be just the thing.

feministmama
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
OH MY!!! THere are so many Sheldon's on that site. My mother loves turtles. I may have to make her one

ADAllen
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
That is too cute!! I am definitely knitting some of those, but I've already spent my yarn budget for a bit. As soon as I get the yarn for this I'm IN!

beckyrhae
07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
He would be a fun stash buster... hrmmm... I wonder how sock yarn looks

larudden
07-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I won't have access to anything except a Michael's this weekend. Sooooooooooo, if I buy Lion Brand yarn, what type would you recommend, since I am totally out of loop when it comes to yarn type. Would it be DK or worsted or what?

If I can put my hands on the right yarn, I'll give it a go.

Thanks.

ADAllen
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
The yarn it recommends is sport weight, and I just haven't bought any of that yet so Sheldon will probably be a stash builder for me.

IBAmyB
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I have been wanting to knit him for a friend that LOVES turtles!

"Unfortunately" she wants me to knit her a Harry Potter scarf! (I haven't even made myself one yet!) I will make her a Sheldon too, it just may take me a while!

(I am a new knitter, slow knitter and have too much stuff I want to make - darn job taking up all my knitting time! :lol:)

Duckling326
07-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh I love turtles! I seen that pattern and will put this on my knit list haha. I'll try to make one up this summer!!

knitqueen
07-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I start one today! :happydance: I read through the pattern and decided maybe it wasn't so good for vacation knitting because of the extra notions needed (ie. cotton batting, eyes, etc.) and because so much of it is made in seperate pieces, I could just see myself losing something. So I started now and depending how it goes, I might finish it before vacation or otherwise it will wait till I'm home.

I'm using stash Patons Decor (wool/acrylic blend) which is not a DK weight but of course with a size 3 needle it makes a very tight fabric which should be fine for stuffing. My Sheldon might just end up a bit bigger than supposed to!

michellebreton
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I think somebody needs to knit a sheldon for Sheldon!

Michelle

beckyrhae
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I started my first sheldon yesterday ... I'm using Sinfonia cotton and size 3 needles. Lime green for the body... maybe some bright orange for the shell... I'm a little scared of that part... I've never done color work

Miss Moosey
07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
:cheering: Today is my cast on day!!

I never stick to the recommended weights and gauges generally because I'm too cheap to spend much money on yarn and needles unless it's absolutely necessary. Therefore, I am using some red heart super saver worsted weight in frosty green for the body and #2 dpns. I knitted a gauge swatch and it actually was almost exactly right.

For the shell I got some nice dark green yarn that came in a plstic bag. The bag said that it ways made from "mill ends" or something like that, but it seems like it is strong and it's actually nice and soft. The only problem is that, though it is also worsted weight, it is slightly finer than my main color, so we'll see if this leads to a tight fitting shell (I don't have any other size dpn other than 2). Knitting the way I do (which means knitting without following the rules :oops:) often leads to some interesting experimentation.

I'll let you know how it goes :frog:...

Good luck to us all!
Rebecca

knitqueen
07-09-2007, 09:43 PM
This is so fun!! :happydance: My Sheldon body is done, and I gotta say any of my neighbours who saw me taking this picture outside this evening must think I'm losing my mind!

beckyrhae
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
awwww... he is so cute!

Miss Moosey
07-10-2007, 06:41 AM
He looks like a cute little green peanut with eyes!

What did you use for the eyes by the way?

Rebecca

knitqueen
07-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I just went to Wal-Mart and looked in their craft section and these were called 'Bear Eyes'. They are 12mm size so a little bigger than the ones in the pattern, and not plain black but I think they totally work. They were so cheap, like $1.50 for 3 pairs of eyes or something like that.

knitqueen
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I meant to say as well - a tip: it is manageable to stuff the body once it's nearly finished, but because the neck is much narrower than the body or the head I think it would be a good idea to stuff it as you go if you have the materials handy. The stuffing was the most challenging part for me. Mine does have a bit of a pointy face, but I just couldn't stuff anymore in. You end off with only 6 stitches and THEN it says to finish stuffing the face and it is next to impossible to get stuffing into such a small hole.

beckyrhae
07-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I stuffed mine as I went on the body as well. I made my nose very pointy on purpose... I have a thing for snapping turtles, they always look happy. :)

knitqueen
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too upset about the pointy nose either, it looked rather turtle-ish to me! :teehee:

knitqueen
07-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Becky, I remembered that you said earlier in the thread that you were anxious about colour work for the shell. I just started the shell and it is so easy! Only one colour is used at a time on a row, the most complicated part is making sure your two balls don't get tangled up too much. So be anxious no more!!

beckyrhae
07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Becky, I remembered that you said earlier in the thread that you were anxious about colour work for the shell. I just started the shell and it is so easy! Only one colour is used at a time on a row, the most complicated part is making sure your two balls don't get tangled up too much. So be anxious no more!!

Aww thanks. I took the plunge last night and did the shell instead of working on the legs. You are absolutely right it wasnt hard at all. The worst was working out a system to keep tangles to a minimum and purling front and back... I didnt do it right the first half of the shell. heh. I need to take pictures, mine is looking very cute.

beckyrhae
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I finished my first Sheldon! He is far from perfect but simply adorable!!

A little picture essay...
"Sheldon climbs Mt. Crasher Basher"

knitqueen
07-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Cute! And your puppy doesn't seem to mind at all! :teehee:

I finished my first one today too. It is cute, but it was a royal pain to assemble. Maybe it's just me. I had such a hard time fitting all those shell pieces together and I ended up single crocheting them together rather than doing the icord thing because by that point a single crochet was about all I could handle.

The one I made is for my youngest son, and I've already promised my older son one in blue, but I don't think I can handle that pattern again right now. So for now I've hidden all evidence of Sheldon and hopefully ds won't remember before we go on vacation on Friday :lol:. When we get home in about 10 days hopefully I'll be ready to go on Sheldon #2.

It will get done eventually, just not right now and not now that it's way too hot to knit anyways.

beckyrhae
07-12-2007, 04:42 AM
I'm ready for Sheldon #2 here... I just cant make up my mind. I really want to try him on big needles with wool and see how he felts up, but I also want to make a teenie one with sock yarn and size 0 needles...

Miss Moosey
07-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Oooooh! Tell me how that goes; I love making small things and a tiny Sheldon will probably be almost too much cuteness!

I haven't had any time to work on my Sheldon because I was studying for the MTEL's, but now I'm through and I'm ready to knit!

beckyrhae
07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I started my second Sheldon. I have completed the body. I'm using Opal sock yarn and size 0 needles. Size 6 seed beads for the eyes.

Here are a few pictures of my progress.

PixieKnits
07-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I just cast on for my sheldon! :)

PixieKnits
07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Im almost done the body of my sheldon! :D

PixieKnits
07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Finished my sheldon, pics are in my album in my siggy!

beckyrhae
07-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Finished my sheldon, pics are in my album in my siggy!

Very cute Pixie... what yarn did you use?

PixieKnits
07-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Caron yarn. acrylic. he's about 12 inches long :) lol

Miss Moosey
07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
My goodness!

It's been more than a year since began my Sheldon. Sheldon's creation has been interrupted by student teaching, classes, poor health, and, of course, other knitting projects. But it is never too late to finish a project! Sheldon is now complete, and quite cuddly.

Rebecca

Shandeh
07-14-2008, 04:06 AM
Adorable! And you picked the perfect time to post!
We're having a TOY knit-along this month. :)

Cynamar
07-14-2008, 01:37 PM
They are all so CUTE! I love how the doggie does not even dignify you to raise his head.

BobbiKnits
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh, I have wanted to make Sheldon for such a long time! Unfortunately, I have way too many projects that I'm trying to get started at the moment to even think about it! Someday, Sheldon...Someday.

Sunni
07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
OMG I am so excited y'all want to knit him, I knit about 10 of them for co-workers a few months ago! I am a turtle freak, I even have a pet Russian Tortoise named Boris Gustav Stravinski...I mean he is Russian after all :roflhard:

I found that mercerized cotton worked very very well for Sheldon! I even put dread locks on one for my co-worker who was in love with Jason Castro on American Idol! He is also a very quick project only took me at most a week of knitting to complete one and that's with only knitting for 1-2 hours a night.

Tip: I started with the shell pieces and put them together then the legs then the body placing the stuffed body into the shell for leg placement. They were a huge hit!!

lestrella
08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I just want to tell you that you guys did a great job with sheldon. :yay: They all look so cute! I've been wanting to make him for the longest time. I think it's about time for me to do it. As soon as ravelympics is over, I'm going to cast for sheldon. He is just too adorable!

samanthe79
06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm having trouble with the kfb from the 6 to 12 stitches. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other increases that I could use and it still look correct.

I'm also searching for a way to make the round tighter, I am wanting to make it a little tighter in the round.

Thanks for the help! :yay:

Shandeh
07-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm having trouble with the kfb from the 6 to 12 stitches.
Here's a video I made of the KFB increase. Hope it helps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3CDp-YIRU

raknfo
10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
oh,my mom love it! so many good things on the site! I think i will make one for my mom!

thisisme7899
11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
OMG! U ARE SOOOO RIGHT! IT IS SOOOO CUTE! I'LL WORK IT WITH YOU!:cheering:

Jan in CA
11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
The original post is over 3 yrs old so I doubt there is a group knitting it here..However, the turtle is cute so make it anyway. :thumbsup: