PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Suggestions Sought

Belphoebe
07-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Tomorrow my neighbor's family and mine will be having a cookout. I offered to bring a side dish, but I'm stumped as to what to cook. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive if possible. Thanks! :hug:

debinoz
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I usually make 3 or 4 bean salad. You can't get much cheaper than a few cans of beans and a bottle of zesty italian.

cftwo
07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I make vegetarian baked beans - vegetarians and omnivores can eat it, it's cheap, and it's easy. :D

Vegetarian Baked Beans

1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 30 ounce can chili beans, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 of a green pepper, chopped
cup ketchup
tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
teaspoon hickory flavored liquid smoke
cup (or more) brown sugar
1 tablespoon water

Mix all ingredients in a 3 quart slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours. Mix well and serve hot.

Kaydee
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe a pasta salad with little noodles, some bell peppers, onion, cucumber, carrot, or whatever veggies you like cut up small. Mix together with italian dressing.

My mom also makes a really good one using small pasta (rotini or small shells) she adds a can of tuna and chopped onion, some mayo, and red wine vinigar, and salt/pepper to taste. Its really yummy.

Or you could always do something like a patato salad or just a mixed green salad with a bunch of veggies and bring a bottle of dressing.

nadja la claire
07-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I love arugula. I would bring an arugula and romaine salad with peaches or nectarines and maybe an orange vinaigrette. Or perhaps a couscous salad with peaches and pine nuts or pistachios dressed with a vinaigrette made with olive oil, OJ, balsamic vinegar, toasted cumin seeds and cinnamon. I also make a pasta salad made with TJ's Pesto Tortellini and TJ's Bruschetta, pitted kalamata olives sauteed shrimp and fresh shaved or grated Parmesan cheese. I prefer the shaved cheese. You can also make this tortellini salad with a good Italian dressing. You could also make some deviled eggs, they are simple and tasty. I hope this helps. Good luck.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

gamerchik
07-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Oooh! I swear by this recipe for "Carrots glazed in balsamic vinegar and butter). It's SO easy to make (and inexpensive) and people rave about it!!!

Here's the link from Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/104501

dakatzmeow
07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
i'm late to the party, but i have to second how easy a pasta salad is.

i generally cook a box of bowties or garden rotini, then top it with one bottle of italian dressing (oil type, not creamy). i chop tomatoes, cucumbers and add olives and parmesan cheese to taste. it always gets raves and is sooooooooo easy.

i also like to get a ball of the really nice whole milk mozzarella and cube it up. it's yummalicious!

eta: a small can of sliced black olives adds delicious color to this too.