PDA

View Full Version : Was there an event that "caused" you to start knitting?

Sharly
07-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I began knitting last December following a personal loss. I found it was a wonderful distraction that has become quite an addiction. I didn't have any local resources, so using the internet (KH a lot) along with the book "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting", I taught myself. In May, I started a blog, because I thought it was a good way to keep track of my projects. (It has knitting content, but is just a general diary - written by my cats :wink:).

I am under the impression that many of us took up this craft as a way to "deal". It helped me tremendously. Am I alone in this?

PaperGirl
07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Sheer boredom. And making the mistake of going to Hobby Lobby while hungry.

I bought the learn to knit kit, and some FUGLY yarn. And thus it began.

mari_13
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I started knitting while I was pregnant. I don't even know how I came up with the interest. I know absolutely no one who knits. Just one day I thought it would be cool. So I found a LYS and took lessons and I've been hooked! My mom and DH never thought I would be as committed as I am (it took me 5 months to knit my first item) but now I can't stop!

So I thank my baby boy for influencing my obsession!

gamerchik
07-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I had a personal loss in December as well (miscarriage), but I didn't start knitting until about 3 months ago. However, I can imagine that knitting would have been a VERY therapeutic thing to do...I wish I had thought of it at the time!

I started because a friend of mine (who lives out of state) kept raving about knitting and how fun/addictive it is, and she encouraged me to try it (and told me about this site). So...I bought some Red Heart Super Saver, watched the videos and made a spring green scarf that is full of holes, lol. It looks like crap but I love it and I'll probably keep it forever. :)

french kiwi
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I started knitting when i was 16, I moved to New Zealand and I didn't know anyone. So I started knitting out of boredom. It took me 6 months to knit a sweater for my 5 year old cousin! Then I waited 10 years to take it up again, I was back in France and bored again! I was so disgusted with TV so I chucked mine out and ever since then (almost 10 years now..), I'm completely addicted to the needles!
I went to see your blog, how many cats do you have?? Are they as blasé about your balls of yarn as my cat is?
Happy knitting
FK

IBAmyB
07-06-2007, 05:37 PM
In December 2002 DH and I were visiting my in-laws for Christmas. Everyone (mother-in-law, father-in-law, and sister-in law) wanted to go see "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". DH and I had already seen in and DH's Grandma wasn't interested in seeing it, so I stayed home and asked Grandma to teach me to knit!

I knit off and on every once in a hile, just "playing", never actually finishing anything... in Dec 2004 I had her give me a refresher course as she was visiting again.... again never really finished anything!

Again in Dec 2005 I decided I should try knitting again... I actually finished some dishclothes and a Kitty Eggroll.... but stopped again for a while. (I cross stitch, and that's what usually sidetracked me!)

But last month I decided that I should knit.. and really knit this time.

Thank you to this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

auburnchick
07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
My dh had taken our dd to a soccer clinic and dropped off our ds at his grandparents' house on the way. I was by myself for almost a week and a bit depressed and ultra bored because I'm used to being with my kids. A trip to HL (after mentioning to a friend very casually that I would like to try something new like knitting), and I was on my way!

LibraryLady
07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I started knitting to “deal” with a problem. Just not like you’re referring to! :teehee:

I was in the Army, stationed in Germany, in 1985. Got permission to live off-base, and found this adorable little attic apartment with dormers four stories up on Mozartstrasse (Mozart street) in the little town close by my base. The ground floor was divided in half, the left was a knitting store and the right was a tunnel into a courtyard. At the end of the courtyard was a tiny little church, the interior walls were covered with pipes for a magnificent pipe organ. Back in the day, the local prince, whose palace’s a few blocks away, had it built to entice Mozart to live with him. It worked and Mozart did stay there and compose/practice at the church. On nice warm days, the organist would leave the doors open and I’d have these wonderful evening concerts!

Anyway, back to knitting. Everyday, I’d walk by the store. It wasn’t a yarn store, but a custom store, full of stuff she’d made, either by hand or machine. Well, I couldn’t stand it anymore, and I had this wonderful summer sweater made. Of course, it wasn’t cheap. I’d expected that, as I’m a seamstress/tailor and I understand the value of custom made clothing. BUT! I was well and truly addicted, soooo…

In order to “deal” with this little addiction, I decided to learn, so I could have more sweaters! That Christmas, my gifts from my mother were her mother’s needles and a couple how-to books. I didn’t speak very good German, and I was shy, so I didn’t ask the store owner to teach me, but I sat down with the books and practiced and practiced. I still have that practice scarf too! Never been worn, but I couldn’t part from it.

Since then though, I’ve used my knitting to “deal” with depression, grief and the stress of a divorce. Now I use the knitting to “deal” with my high blood pressure, carpal tunnel and just plain relaxation. :happydancing:

I’ll have to dig out that sweater and post a pic. It’s a beautiful piece. I've never made anything quite so beautiful or complex, but hopefully someday I'll be that good.

LL

jjminarcik
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Yep, sure was. I had always wanted to learn, but didn't know anyone who knitted so I never learned. Last summer I went through a severe depression and was out of work. I needed a distraction. . . I bought some yarn, found this site, and the rest is knitting history!

psammeadred
07-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I graduated from college and needed a new challenge, so I got books from the library and some country blue and ivory Red Heart from Hobby Lobby.

JoeE
07-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I'd love to honestly say I started because I have a deep need to create, but that's a load of crap in my case (totally bereft of real creativity). I started because I wanted a hobby I could do while I watch TV. If someone would feed me Cheetos while I sit in front of the TV knitting, I'd be the happiest man alive. I'd also be willing to eat Oreos dunked in milk while someone reads a good novel out loud.

Joe

Jax3303
07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I was 37 weeks pregnant with #3 and I needed something new to keep my hands and mind busy during the endless hours of Braxton Hicks Contractions. 4 days later I had my first FO (top down raglan baby sweater) and a new baby.

auburnchick
07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
If someone would feed me Cheetos while I sit in front of the TV knitting, I'd be the happiest man alive.

:roflhard:

IBAmyB
07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
If someone would feed me Cheetos while I sit in front of the TV knitting, I'd be the happiest man alive. I'd also be willing to eat Oreos dunked in milk while someone reads a good novel out loud.

:rofling: Excellent!!!! (Just don't get Cheeto dust or Oreo crumbs on the knitting!)

Chel
07-06-2007, 08:46 PM
My best friend died and I began knitting as a last ditch effort to save myself from the same fate.

Phretys
07-06-2007, 08:49 PM
My daughter was the catalyst in my case. One day we were out shopping and she randomly picked up a pretty ball of yarn and asked me to buy it. I ended up buying my first knitting needles the same day and got down to business with the aid of an old Reader's Digest needlework guide I had at home.

Debi

aineepooh1
07-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh Chel~!:hug::hug::hug::hug:

geekgolightly
07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
because i wanted to make something beautiful. my friend kk made me a garter stitch scarf for christmas one year and i became fascinated with it. i would hold it and stretch it out and look at the stitches and was just mesmerized. and the fact that she made it with her hands blew my mind. i had to try and make something just as beautiful.

cecile77
07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Although I've been knitting on and off since I was a child I had stopped once I started residency because I just didn't have the time for it. After I went through a break up with my ex I started knitting again just to have something else to focus on. It really helped me out.

Duckling326
07-07-2007, 01:49 AM
I was actually afraid to knit because I knew I'd be addicted in no time! I used to do cross stitch all the time. When we moved to Shelton, I didn't have a job and my MIL told me about this yarn shop. So one day I drove up to the shop, walked around and then the owner asked me if I wanted to learn. Picked out some yarn, she grabbed some needles and away I went and made ohh about 15 scarves for Christmas gifts. .... Now that was 1 1/2 years ago and have also started a blog to show my finished objects!

And yes, my name is Erika and I'm addicted to knitting. Hi everyone!

Quiltlady
07-07-2007, 02:41 AM
It was that my dd was expecting her first baby and our FIRST Grandchild. The "baby" is four years old now and I've been a serious knitter ever since. Oh....she's expecting her second child in November and its a BOY!!!:cheering::cheering:

aineepooh1
07-07-2007, 02:47 AM
what started me wanting to learn was back several years ago ... I was just so fascinated and bewildered on what 1 pair of human hands could do with a needle and string. I was just mezmerized on how beautiful, special, and truly unique some items were. I tried to learn twice and couldn't get it~ and gave up for a while ...
BUT what got me REALLY interested in trying to learn again was the multiple deaths our family had last year. With the cherry on the top being losing my dad. I truly believe my knitting was a gift from God b/c it gave me SOMETHING else to focus on besides.. "dad is gone.. dad is gone.. dad is gone'... :pout::pout::pout:
My mind could wander on How to make a purl stitch, or how to use a cable needle, or how to learn to appreciate the uniqueness and beauty of different yarns. I could visit online with some very friendly, generous people that :heart::heart: their hobbby and wanted to share it with anyone willing to listern. It kept me going ( along with the kindness on this forum).. it gave me something GOOD in a year that was so utterly rotten~!:ick::ick:

Brandilyne
07-07-2007, 07:22 AM
What a great topic! It's wonderful that knitting has been such a healing activity for so many.

I had a young co-worker who decided she wanted to learn to knit last year. I admit, I giggled at her a little, because here she was this young 24 year old and she wanted to take up what I erroneously thought was an activity only for grannies. I know, I know! I'm sorry. I had no idea! She managed to finish a scarf for her dog before she lost interest (I think she started and stopped 7 hobbies in the year we worked together, hee). After she had showed me some of the cool knitting sites out there, I decided that maybe I wanted to learn, but she dropped it so she never taught me.

I am very involved in another online community for my favorite singer/entertainer and several of the members are into knitting (I had no idea!). Turns out they started an off-topic thread for it in our Chatter section of the board and one Sunday morning in February, armed with my coffee, I sat down and began to read all 17 pages of the thread. Five cups of coffee later, I was running to my room to get dressed and run out to Target to get a knitting kit! I couldn't wait to start! :happydance: That kit was hilarious and didn't teach me squat (seriously, why the HELL do they put eyelash yarn in a beginner knitters set??) but luckily I got some great books from the library, watched some of Amy's fantastic vids and VOILA, instant obsession. I was also lucky enough to find a couple local stitch groups and met some awesome people who were so welcoming and enabling (love those yarn whores), hee! :lol:

And in 2 weeks a whole gaggle of those crazy women from my other message board home are coming to visit for a concert with that artist and we are going on a GINORMOUS yarn crawl! They can't wait because we have so many great yarn shops here including The Yarn Market with their 6 warehouses of yarn! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. A whole weekend with some great friends, yarn shopping, knitting and seeing our "boyfriend" in concert. What more could a knitter ask for?? :woot:

farrah
07-07-2007, 09:34 AM
A couple of years ago, my now husband and I were at Firestone tires waiting for his replacement tires and there was a little old lady sitting in the waiting area knitting a blanket. I asked her if I could watch and she was super sweet! Anyways, she invited me over to her house to teach me. I went over for my lesson and we ended up talking more about life and only a little about knitting (which is why I have yet to learn how to purl). So, we had such a nice time just visiting. I also had a couple of lessons from my mother in law. Then, I knitted a couple of placemats and scarves and then sort of dropped it for awhile. We got married, moved, my mother passed away and we had a baby...so in all that time, I hadn't knitted.

Then recently, I picked it up again because I found a BEAUTIFUL, must have hat from La Folie...but couldn't justify $40 for a baby's hat. So, I thought I'll try to make one myself....and while my first attempt isn't quite the same, it's good enough and just maybe next time I'll figure out how to purl and how to do the earflaps. =)

Farrah

Sharly
07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Everyone, thank you so much for responding to my question! :muah:To everyone who experienced any kind of loss, I am so sorry. I can relate to every one that has been mentioned.

To everyone who learned this wonderful skill - congratulations! It's nice to know everyone has found it as comforting/entertaining as I have.

I enjoyed reading each of your responses - thank you for sharing!!

Let's hear some more!!

Sharly
07-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi French Kiwi!

I visited your site as well! Wow - bilingual! I'm impressed!!

I have 9 cats - (I'm a certifiable crazy cat lady) - only Lilah is extremely interested in the knitting scene, therefore, she writes most of the knitting posts on our site.

Thanks for visiting, and please feel free to drop by anytime, and share the link with others. It thrills the cats (me) to get a lot of visitors and comments!!

Take care!

Quiara
07-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I started knitting because I'd always wanted to learn and one day thought, why wait? I wasn't an all-the-time knitter at first. It wasn't until I hit a major depression and lost my job that knitting became a matter of life-or-death to me. About that time, I also discovered the Yarn Harlot and largely credit her writing for saving my life. It's a long story, but it involves my knitting the largest, ugliest piece of CRAP in my life - but it didn't matter a bit because every stitch was my working something out. I didn't care what it became or how it looked and when I ran out of yarn, I just picked another skein, regardless of color, texture, common sense, anything. I still have it in a box. I don't even know what to call it. Except a tangible expression of the depths of my darkness and my way out of it.

Knitting was also something I used to soothe myself when my daddy was lying in the hospital near the end and especially after he died in April. It's a gift and one I hope to pass on to as many others as I can in this life, hoping they'll find it to be even half the blessing it's been to me.

aineepooh1
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
quiara~:hug::hug::hug::hug:
did your dad die THIS year or last year~:hug:

Quiara
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
It was this year. 12:01a.m. Easter morning.

Brangane
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Hello. I am a sock addict.

Mum wanted to keep me busy so I was taught to knit so I could knit the plain bits inbetween the fairisle she was knitting. I was about 6. I have been cross stitching for many years but have recently returned to knitting.

rainberry
07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I read both the Chicks with Sticks books and decided to learn to knit.

stirsmommy
07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I moved to Duluth, MN from Atlanta, GA this past February. At church I heard they had a knit group and thought well that would be a way to get out of our temp house that was way too small. So I went and became hooked as it was absolutely the only craft I could do in the temp house. It was small and portable and perfect. When we moved to the new house I realized I have room for a stash and it has been building.:rofling: For me knitting helped get me through a difficult move and helped me make some friends which is something I don't do well.

Knitting_Guy
07-07-2007, 07:59 PM
No, for me it was just a logical decision. I wanted some sort of hobby that was highly portable, that I could do while on the road, and would help me pass the time and relax after a day of driving, and allow for some measure of creative outlet.

Knitting just seemed like it met all of the criteria.

ironmaiden
07-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I saw a purse an online friend was talking about making, and I said, "Wow, I wish I knew how to knit."

A couple of days later I realized I could just learn how to do it.

So I did...

:D

Yarn Doc
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I had brain cancer. Twice.

The first time, my cousin taught me how to crochet so I would have something to do while I sat at home and recovered.

The second time, I taught myself how to knit.

Itsabtme
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I quit smoking in March. I'm not sure if it was the medication, or the fact that I had nothing to do with my "time", but I found that I had become a little bit hyper. I am a member at quitnet.com where I met & became friends with Knitting_Guy. I mentioned that I had always wanted to learn how to knit and he led me here and encouraged me to teach myself...thanks Mason:muah:

I am much more relaxed and as long as I have my kneedles in my hands, I'm not thinking about smoking...works quite well for me.

;)jeanette

KathrynBeach
07-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I took up knitting many decades ago, to "deal" with my mother's insistence :rollseyes: I wanted to read, she thought it would be "good for me" if I learned to knit. When I figured out I could do both at the same time, knitting simple beginner projects like scarves, I tried it out.

Thanks Mom!:cheering:

tootie44
07-07-2007, 09:45 PM
My son got sick very suddenly in Dec 2004, he was hospitalized for 3 months. A chaplain there suggested that I learn to knit to pass the time and there was a yarn store just 2 blocks away. I learned to knit at his PICU bedside.

nadja la claire
07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I started knitting when my DH first became ill, even before he was diagnosed with cancer. What happened was he was losing more and more weight and no one could give us a reason why at the same time I was organizing a group of workers and I wanted to quit smoking. Well to make a long story short one of my DIL suggested that I learn how to knit. She said that it was all the rage and that it did wonders in reducing stress. Well I talked my mother into showing me how to CO and Amy's videos did the rest. I quit smoking about 9 months after I learned how to CO. It was knitting that took me through Jerry's chemo and radiation therapies as well as the lengthly and frustrating contract negotiations and it has also been knitting that has kept me smoke-free for over 2 1/2 years, and I still get cravings all the time but I just knit through them.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

bjc1050
07-08-2007, 11:58 AM
There wasn't any special event. Just a large craft store that had opened in the same shopping center as a donut shop I was working in. Happened to go in for a looksee and picked up a Teach Yourself To Knit the Columbia Minerva Way booklet (which I still have) and some yarn and needles...knitted my first pair of mittens...then tried the earwarmer pattern and then the child's jumper and then the jester afghan all in that book. The afghan called for large needles and using a double strand of yarn. I wasn't fond of using large needles or two strands and wasn't terribly pleased with the afghan. This was back in the late 60s's or early 70's. Been knitting or crocheting OR collecting instruction/pattern booklets and knitting notions off and on ever since.
I only wish that I had tried circular needles back then.

CarmenIbanez
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I decided to adopt my first dog (read: first baby growing up, not having more babies, need baby replacement). She was born on January 23, 2003 and I had to wait 8 weeks to bring her home. 8 WEEKS! So I busied myself making her little sweaters and blankies teaching myself from a book.

I'd love to honestly say I started because I have a deep need to create, but that's a load of crap in my case (totally bereft of real creativity). I started because I wanted a hobby I could do while I watch TV. If someone would feed me Cheetos while I sit in front of the TV knitting, I'd be the happiest man alive. I'd also be willing to eat Oreos dunked in milk while someone reads a good novel out loud.

Joe

I love this about knitting. I LOVE television, and by knitting while I watch I feel like I'm doing something useful with my time.

I am much more relaxed and as long as I have my kneedles in my hands, I'm not thinking about smoking...works quite well for me.

;)jeanette

Definitely relaxing!

knottyknitter
07-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I learned to crochet after seeing an afghan my aunt made for my grandmother.
Then about 2 years ago I joined a knitting group, bought a how to book at michaels and taught myself to knit.

mshelton
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
After I retired, I was thinking about knitting or quilting or something. Often we are traveling and I needed something to keep me busy. I hate to just sit there. So I picked up a knitting book at the bookstore, then found some knitting supplies at Tuesday Morning so thought it must be meant to be. Thanks to this site, I learned to knit.

Chris.M
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi ,
I was visiting a friend in San Francisco who knits and was saying how I struggled with crochet and she explained how much easier knitting was. So I went to our local hospice store and found some needles and yarn and took a class at michaels.

Feef
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
My very first foray into knitting was about 30 years ago. Unbeknownst to me, a beginner ought not start with a pullover, V-neck sweater. I made it through the bottom ribbing and my mom took over.

I have a dear friend who is one project away from achieving her master knitter's certificate, and is ALWAYS talking about knitting socks.

When I lost my job and was struggling with that depression, she gifted me with a ball of Peaches & Cream yarn, instructed me to buy size 7 needles, and visit the Dishcloth Boutique and start knitting, dammit.

I did, and haven't stopped since.

And now that I've stopped smoking since 10am on July 4, I've saved almost enough for a skein of sock yarn!

P.S. don't ever sit on the floor knitting with chinchillas running around. They chewed thru the yarn of my 2nd dishcloth! Oh the dismay!! :rofling:

KnittingNora
07-09-2007, 04:58 AM
My Mum came over and visited and whilst out shopping we saw some beautiful wool that reminded me of my sister!! I bought it and some needles plus wool and needles for Mum. We then had a great week together as Mum taught me how to cast on and knit stitch. I finished the scarf and my sister loved it!
A few weeks later I broke my wrist/thumb playing tennis, and was SOOOOOO bored being unable to play sport or do anything with the cast on. As soon as the cast came off in January of this year I picked up the needles again and knitting was great physio.
I am now completely hooked, and anytime I come across something I can't understand, someone on here always sets me right and the videos on here are just brilliant. :muah::muah:

Ronda
07-09-2007, 06:27 AM

The first time, my cousin taught me how to crochet so I would have something to do while I sat at home and recovered.

:hug:

jillliv
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Not really an event, more of a need I saw..xxx

well like many I learned as a child, but never got truly hooked until I was putting together shoeboxes for orphans overseas. a friend of mine popped in to drop off these lovely mittens she'd made for the appeal and I said oh how I wish I could make those.next thing i knew she handed me a ball of wool, a pair of needles and a pattern!

So down i sat with a learn to knit book and bit by bit i've got the hang of the techniques i never got before. The rest is history!xxx

Sharly
07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow! So many great responses!! Thank you to everyone :muah:

It's interesting that for many of us there was a catalyst, and for others it just kind of evolved, but either way, I think it's true that each of us NEEDED knitting!!

Is there any other pastime that is so theraputic and yet so productive?:shrug:

Sissy
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I had tried to learn to crochet,but didnt do it well.I was in the yarn store,owned by a friend and she was knitting a big bulky looking jacket.I asked how hard it was and the next thing I know I'm making one.........It was alot of fun and cmae out great......Then, I stopped for a few years,and went back to it.....Sissy:lol:

lucky_alf2
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I was living and working in the UK when my sister got pregnant about 7 years ago. I really wanted to make her something handmade for the baby but didn't know how to sew or even have a machine. On our town high street there was a knitting shop so I went in one day and the lady helped me choose yarn and a pattern for a moss-stich baby blanket. I also bought a knitting book and then proceeded to teach myself how to knit. The blanket turned out wonderfully and I knitted baby items for several years until another catalyst event caused me to put them down for a few years.

I only restarted knitting this past year after spending Xmas with my MIL who was knitting scarves for presents at the time -- it gave me such a horrible itch to watch her knit and not have any to do myself -- as soon as we got home I dug out my stuff and started up again!! I work at a slow pace and with a toddler in the house I am slow at getting projects done, but I love it and think it will be great as I move into an era of soccer/swim/dance/whatever practices with my older child (who sniff snif starts Kindergarten in August)

Thanks for letting me share! :)

msoebel
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I just like to create, and I love working with my hands. Since my apartment isn't big enough to have a pottery wheel and kiln (nor would my budget allow me such things:lol:) I looked to crochet to fill that need. My mom used to crochet as did my grandmother, several aunts, and my mom's friends.

I crocheted several hats for my dd, and scarfs for my sister and sisters in law. And then I realized that deep down, I HATE to crochet. It bugs me, and my edges are always "bumpy" because I just can't get my stitches to match up. So then, I crochet down the side becasue I want my edges to be clean.

I kept asking people to teach me to knit, and finally, one day, I just got tired of waiting and I went online to see if there were any tutorials.

Lo and behold, there was, there is (thank you knittinghelp.com!) and now I knit.

Now if I just had time to work on my paintings! I need to balance my art time better.

Misty

betty bat
07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Mine was retirement.

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire at age 52 (!) after working full time for 26+ years. My husband retired on the same day as I did. Now we have time to do pretty much anything that we want to do. We do a lot of volunteer work, mainly in the conservation area.

I've done cross-stitch for over 20 years, sew a little (mainly things for the home like curtains and pillows) and wanted to branch into something else. I took a weaving class and loved it. But, I decided that cross-stitch and (especially) weaving were not particularly portable activities and I wanted something that I could take with me and work on when I wasn't home. So, knitting sounded like a good choice. And, it has been! I'm currently working on a shrug from the One Skein Wonders book. Can't believe that I'm knitting something like this after starting just a few months ago!

E&Bsmom
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
It was my 1st pregnancy. I saw a pattern for a cute cardigan and hat in the Martha Stewart Baby magazine and asked my mom if she would teach me. She did, but reminded me that this was not the 1st time she had attempted to teach me to knit. Apparently, when we were kids, Mom tried to teach us to knit. My brother, manly man that he is, picked it up right away. Mom said that I was just hopeless. Anyway, I finished the sweater, knowing nothing about guage and realized that it was just too big and bulky for a baby. It's quite cute.

I stopped for a little while and then picked it up again about 3 or so years ago. My problem was that I had trouble finishing a project. Once I gave myself permission to enjoy the process, whether I finished it or not, I got really excited about it.

I'm also a stamper and knitting is just more practical for taking with me.

Most recently, I've decided to make baby blankets. I find patterns I like and buy the yarn for them. I usually have 2 blankets going at a time ~ keeps the boredom factor down. I figure even if I don't know who will end up with the blanket once it's finished, I'll have baby gifts on hand.

sheknits
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I started knitting almost exactly one year ago. A health issue that I had hoped was gone forever reared its ugly head again, and I found myself stuck in bed (fuming and depressed).

During the nearly six months I spent getting back to "normal", I learned to knit! It kept my hands busy and helped me work out some of my "energies" (as my kids would say) in a productive way.

Now I'm feeling much better, and I have a couple of afghans, some scarves and the World's Most Oddly Shaped Baby Blanket to show for it ... and I'm casting on (again ... can't get gauge) for my first sweater! :cheering:

Lobug
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I started 3 1/2 years ago b/c a friend had a group "learn to knit" session at her place and I wanted to do something with adults! I loved it immediately. I taught myself to purl within a month of learning the knit stitch. I have rarely put down my needles since. Being a confirmed project knitter, I have to have a new challenge every time I pick up my needles. I have yet to run out of challenges!

Chrissie
07-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I moved to a new city and was having trouble finding a job....I needed something to fill my time. I was walking around my neighborhood one day and decided to try out a coffee shop that I saw. Next door was a yarn store. There was a sign in the window advertising a learn-to-knit class, and I decided to go for it.

SusanMarie1956
07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
<b>

My Grandma use crochet and Mom use to knit. I wouold watch them and I loved just watching. They both taught me a little. That was then...

I don't know why, but I suddenly want to learn more. I can sit and knit and it doesn't bother me at all. I feel like I'm making sometihng that we can use. It's NOT useless. It makes me feel good.

Susan

bajanKnit
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
No event really I was just going through the channels on tv one day and came across DIY Network and the show Knitty Gritty was on I watch it and was hooked :inlove:.. The rest as they say is history..:heart:

Kaydee
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
My SIL got pregnant with my niece and I started a new job where one of the ladies I work with told me I should knit a blanket for her. The woman I work with knows how to knit very basic stitches so she showed my knit and purl. I found KH when looking for more help and have been knitting since. I've now way surpassed my teacher who showed me the basic stitches!

hunterjenn
07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Um...I was bored? :shrug:

My boys were almost 3, and starting to become self-sufficient to some degree. I made curtains and bedding, reupholstered our couch twice, painted and remodeled the house...no matter what, I still couldn't find enough projects to keep me busy. So I decided to try knitting! I picked an intarsia sweater first, but didn't like the cheap yarn I'd bought. First FO was a lacy baby sweater. That was nearly 2 years ago, and I've never quit!

Knit Mom
07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Last summer I decided I needed a hobby. So my Son and I went over to the local Michael's and I bought a "Teach yourself how to crochet" kit and some yarn. Well need less to say, I could not even cast on. So I wrapped it back up and it has been in the bag hanging on the closet door knob ever since.

This summer I was strolling down Main street in the town I live in and ran into the cutiest knitting shop. I initially went in there to buy a bag I fell in love with in the window and ended up chatting with the girls in there and signing up for a beginning knitting class.

My first class was amazing. It was the best hour and a half! I casted on like I had done it a million times. I knitted, I purled and made half of my project in the hour and a half I was there. And I ended up staying an extra half hour just because the conversation was great!

I guess I started knitting because I needed something to help me decompress. I like to read but I havent found a good book in a while. I am patiently waiting for Harry Potter next weekend.

So next week I will go back for my second class. Maybe I will learn a new stitch or something. I am currently working on 4 scarfs since that is all I know how to make.

niferzilla
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
My Grandmother has always knit and often presented us with handknit dishcloths at Christmas.

I was using one of her dishcloths about 2 years ago and realized as I saw a little hole in it. "This is the last dishcloth I have that Grandma made. After this one unravels, there will be no more." This was because Grandma had passed away. No one else in the family knew how to knit. Even though I had asked Grandma repeatedly as a child to teach me, she was not a patient woman and didn't have the patience to teach a child to knit.

A few weeks later I was in the back seat of a friends car and noticed a plastic bag beside me filled with the most wonderful scarf and yarn to make it. I asked her how she learned to knit and she told me she had just taught herself. The idea of teaching myself never occured to me with knitting. I started knitting the next evening.

Rhea
07-13-2007, 08:30 AM
My mom and I were at the craft store to buy silk flowers (don't remember why) and we walked by the yarn and decided we needed to knit, so we picked up two skeins of the scratchiest (read:cheap) acrylic yarn and two pairs of size 10 aluminum needles and one of those $3:00 "how to knit" pamphets and stayed up all night trying to figure the damn things out.

Good times.

Nichan
07-22-2007, 04:17 AM
i actually started interested long time ago before i started...
but the point where i got quite addicted is when i have to move to this mountain remote area...i hate this place a lot...i didn't have sewing machine, yet, at the time i started addicted to knit...i like sewing actually...i just feel cold every day...it's like i can't move my body nor my brain...i can't even think a single design for my sew...i don't know...i feel drowning here...all i can and want to do is sit and knit...and THAT makes me feel BETTER:cheering:

i don't know...my mood for sewing is like dead...but to knit is like 'meditating', releasing my self from stress of living in a very remote area with weather i don't like...and keep calming my mind if i started want to scream because this living area...

if i go to like lower height area with warmer weather (tropic island where my homeland is there...)...i feel like inspired to sew...all my browsing will be about sewing and fashion...i got a lot of ideas and inspiration...but when i go back to this mountain again...all i can see is the yarn and needles...all i want to do is knit and all i want to search in internet is 'yarn' or 'knit' things...
now i have a big box full of yarn...ready to be knitted...while in lower height area home, i have a big box full of fabric ready to be sewed...:think: weird situation i have...

robynbird
07-22-2007, 07:46 AM
My SIL visited us about 4 1/2 years ago and she brought my kids each a beautiful knitted blanket. I asked her if she would teach me to knit while she was here and so we went out and got some cheap yarn and needles and she showed me how to CO, knit and purl and I made a dishcloth. :) I didn't really stick with it much though.

In late 2004 I found out I was pregnant so I decided to get back to knitting and make some stuff for the baby. Sadly, she died in utero at 20 weeks. I tried to keep knitting, but I couldn't face the baby stuff so I put it away. About six months after a second miscarriage that year, I decided to pick up my knitting again. I made several gifts for Christmas for friends and family; including a beautiful prayer shawl for my mom.

In the beginning of this year I taught myself to crochet and after making some baby stuff for my friend, I put both the hooks and needles down for a bit. When my mom died in May this year, that first week I couldn't even think of picking up my knitting. But after that week...something hit me and I've began and finished several knit and crochet projects over the last 10 weeks. It's been a real healing process for me to have something to do and to see a finished object that I know my mom would love. :)

There is something about the process of knitting (moreso than crochet) that is so relaxing and comforting. And at the end of the journey, I have a little something that reminds me that life is precious. :)

GiddyKnitter
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I started knitting while I was pregnant. I have knitted since trying most things. The yarn today is much more interesting and a wider vatiety. I have a few knitting buddies on line and they are just like me cant stop. I always have a few things on the go...at the moment its socks and Preemie hats for the local hospital.

knitting4babybear
07-22-2007, 09:24 AM
My momma (and best friend) died 2 years ago and I needed something to do with my hands so I didn't wring them quite so often. :D

It worked.

Luvmyrottnboy
07-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Two years ago my mom's Alzheimers got to the point where she could not be alone at night so I had to stop my second job teaching aerobics. Actually I had to stop ALL evening activities. I have never been one to sit and watch TV so I had to do something. I saw a post in another non-crafting forum about Jo-Ann having a sale. So I ordered some yarn and crochet hooks. I crocheted a storm for about 6 months but I wanted tops sweaters and even though the ones I crocheted came out cute, they just didn't have the drape a knitted sweater does. So I ordered a BOATLOAD of needles, yarn and books.

As time went by mom got worse and worse so I had to move in with her (she just upstairs) and every moment I wasn't working (I had to put her in daycare) I was taking care of her. Knitting became my friend and salvation. I couldn't do much because caring for her took 99% of my time but just petting my yarn would soothe my soul.

Mom is now in a great memory care facility and I knit ALL the time.

cinnamon_girl
07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I was a young SAHM whose hubby worked long hours. I always liked to do crafty things and keep busy. I had learned to sew as a teenager, my paternal grandmother taught me.
My Mom didn't do anything crafty so I don't know where I came from. When my 3 kids were little and I was at home with them, I sewed (they always had homemade halloween costumes), gardened and canned vegetables & made jam (with another at home mom friend) and learned to crochet from another. I enjoyed crocheting and made a few afghans but when I started looking at pattern books, especially for sweaters and hats, mittens etc., I realized the patterns I really liked were predominantly knitted. So I took a class at a yarn shop to learn.
I got away from it for a number of years when life got in the way. Though I really should have made the time as others have noted purely for the stress relief. When the grandchildren began arriving a few years ago it was the perfect opportunity to pull out the needles again.

EssenceRose
07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I started knitting out of boredom. I'd dabbled in it a bit previously, but it never "stuck". Then one day while we were on vacation, I picked up some cheap yarn and needles to amuse myself with because there was nothing else to do. I remember knitting that scarf ALL the way home (a 6 hour car ride) and I was so proud of myself for actually finishing something that I stuck with it. I still wear that scarf to this day!

knitpurlgurl
07-22-2007, 07:19 PM
My son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (in addition to ADHD, dyslexia, and bilateral hearing impairment). He was having a real hard time winding down and coming out of meltdowns. In addition, his handwriting was really large and illegible. I went on the internet and found this site - where I taught myself via the videos how to knit. That was about 9 months ago. I taught my son and we started knitting together to relax both of us. He found it easy to focus and calm down and I found it easy to destress using knitting. Sinc emy life is really hectic - I still haven't knit anything that isn't a rectangle - but I hope to push myself to try more advanced projects. I didn't realize how addictive knitting can be! I absolutely LOVE it!

Rosemary
07-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I knit years and years ago, but not very well.

Earlier this year I saw an Alan Dart gnome on the internet. It is knit and I had to have it. After doing a few dishcloths and scarves to get back in the swing of things, I managed to track down the gnome pattern.

He turned out OK, so I have now been officially bitten by the knitbug. I don't think you can take shots for that.

Jill A.
07-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I started knitting with the desire to make some presents for Christmas. I try to give homemade presents to my family (parents, sib and in-laws, and the cousins) each year. I was getting antsy in March because I had no idea what to make this year. I had done jewelry, quilts, scrapbooks, wood and a few other things previously, but was tired of them. I was browsing eBay to see if anything inspired me. I saw a cute felted bag, but since it was knit I didn't know if I could do it, but I thought I would at least try, because after all, I had 9 months to do it. The bags are long since finished, and I haven't stopped knitting. In fact, I have knit every single day since March.

I am sooooo glad I learned how to knit. I have always wanted to knit, and although I was able to teach myself how to do lots of other crafts, I didn't believe that knitting was possible.

THANKS knittinghelp.com!!!!!

AussieYank
07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
When my third child was born, lots of ladies in my church in Pennsylvania gave me knitted baby blankets for her. I was amazed that someone would take the time to make such a beautiful gift, rather than just go out and buy something. I wanted to learn then, but we were in the process of moving to Australia. Now I teach a "mothers of young children" Bible study and it seems like there's always someone having another baby. I remembered how special those blankets were to me, so I told my DH for my last birthday I wanted stuff so I could learn to knit. He bought me pattern books and took me to the shop for yarn last October and I've been knitting ever since. My best friend now calls me "Knitting Nana" - though it will be a long time till I have grandkids!! I've done 4 baby blankets, so I'm trying to pass on the love!

Zebragirlnz
07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
My Dad taught me to knit when I was 10. I never really grasped it back then, but got into it a couple of years ago, while Dad was sick in hospital. It helped pass the time while he was sleeping etc. Unfortunately Dad passed away on July 16, 2005 from his brain tumour, but I am still knitting. Its something that reminds me of him, something I have because of him, and something that only he and I shared an interest in (my sisters weren't interested) so its a special thing for me.

aineepooh1
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
zebragirl:hug::hug::hug::hug:

McKnitty
08-11-2007, 12:49 AM
A couple of years ago, a co-worker showed me a beautiful baby jacket that she had knit for her soon-to-be-born first grandchild. I was so impressed and told her that I had always wanted to learn to knit. She replied with 'you're not getting any younger, so what are you waiting for?' -- ouch!

But that comment got me to thinking about it and I bought a learn-to-knit book and got started. It was about three months later that I found my LYS (I didn't even know those existed) and started classes.

I've learned so much, yet have so much more to learn, and I am enjoying every minute of it! My co-worker moved on to another job but I think of her often when I knit.

knitncook
08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I learned to knit as a child and was taught by my mother because she felt I needed to learn. I loathed knitting in the beginning because there were all these (mother imposed) rules. I knit on and off whenever my mother felt I needed a new project. It wasn't until the loss of my first baby that I started knitting in earnest. It was something I could do easily and without much thought and kept me from sitting in a pile on the floor sobbing all day. It was very healing. After I had my three children running around in the house, knitting wasn't as easy or soothing anymore (there was always a kid on my lap LOL!) and I put it away. About 5 years ago my oldest dd was really into Harry Potter and wanted a Gryffindor scarf. I worked on it for quite some time in the afternoons while listening to All Things Considered. After I finished my hands were aching for more and I've been full on since. I'm slightly hampered by a cat who will take balls of yarn and wind them around the furniture legs and make mazes out of them. I've gottne to where all my yarn has to live closed up :( I laugh about the yarn, but it is a PITA to clean up. I'd love to have a kitty cam to watch how he does it as we have never caught him in the act.

Olive Oil
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
I had always wanted to knit but did not know anyone who could teach me. I ran across this forum one day and now I can't stop. I LOVE THIS FORUM !!!!!!!! Knitting is a great thing to do while relaxing in the evenings.

Thankyou and hats off to the people who help others on this forum with tons of questions. You have been a great help to me !!!!!!!:yay:

Barb

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-11-2007, 12:42 PM
i was looking at having to give up crafting because of my carpal tunnel... i could only crochet for 15-20 minutes MAX before my wrists would swell up and i couldn't move my hands... with knitting i lose track of time and my carpal tunnel doesn't bother me at all... it's also helped me to relax and deal with the kids last few weeks of school.

Carla1019
08-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I just like to create, and I love working with my hands. Since my apartment isn't big enough to have a pottery wheel and kiln (nor would my budget allow me such things:lol:)
Now if I just had time to work on my paintings! I need to balance my art time better.

Misty
I would love to have a kiln and wheel, LIke you no room and money. What kind of painting do you do? I oil paint.

I just hate to set and do nothing. like soccer practice, Dr. office. One day at My DD Soccer practice another mother was just learning how to Knit. after talking to her,I thought that is what I have been wanted to do just didn't know it yet. Went to Wal-mart got me some needles and yarn, Went to a book store got me a great How to do book. That was about 4 years ago and have not stop since.

The other mother: Well she make 2 scrafs and stop. She loves to see what I am making and love my booga bag.

turtledove
08-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I had always found knitting interesting. When I was about 8 or 9 my mom bought some needles, yarn, and a book. A book that made sure to put everyone off knitting for the rest of their lives! It was so confusing. Needless to say, neither one of us learned to knit with it. 15 years later, I bought a cheap Learn to Knit kit, and it was so easy. Now that I´ve been knitting for almost 2 years, I went back to that book from hell and it is still confusing.

Arielluria
08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I've always dabbled in it since I was a kid, making stuff with yarn and straight sticks fascinated me. :D And I made 1 scarf in 99. But I REALLY got into it when I shaved my dogs too short last January, and made a few dog sweaters. See the dog sweater thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=52946).

Sharly
08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I've always dabbled in it since I was a kid, making stuff with yarn and straight sticks fascinated me. :D And I made 1 scarf in 99. But I REALLY got into it when I shaved my dogs too short last January, and made a few dog sweaters. See the dog sweater thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=52946).

Awww...Sweet Baby! And he/she(?) looks so proud of the sweater!!

redheadrachel
08-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I wanted a physical way to channel my creativity. I've gone through a lot of stuff in the past year, or so, and knitting is the ultimate coping mechanism.

I am a firm believer that knitting, as well as piano, is a metaphor for life. All of my insecurities and personal struggles are faced when I knit, and solving them through the knitting helps me solve them for the other facets of life. It's just what I needed, just when I needed it.

Sharly
08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I wanted a physical way to channel my creativity. I've gone through a lot of stuff in the past year, or so, and knitting is the ultimate coping mechanism.

I am a firm believer that knitting, as well as piano, is a metaphor for life. All of my insecurities and personal struggles are faced when I knit, and solving them through the knitting helps me solve them for the other facets of life. It's just what I needed, just when I needed it.

Wow, Rachel, that's a good insight and I so know what you mean.

Lieke
08-12-2007, 03:36 AM
I just wanted a very long scarf. Everybody had one, but they were all made from wool. I really wanted one, but since I'm allergic to wool, I decided I wanted to knit one myself. I bought some thick cotton and made myself an incredible long striped scarf. After that I dropped knitting again. I didn't need anything else. A couple of years later I became bored of my scarf and wanted another one, so I bought 500 grams of yarn on a craftsfair to make another huge scarf. After I bought the yarn, I saw another yarnstand with another way to make a scarf and I knew I wanted THAT. So I bought that yarn as well and made that scarf. I had 500 grams of yarn (acrylic) left and had to do something with it. My mom had bought some patterns on that fair to start knitting herself so I used 1 of her patterns and knitted myself a sweater with the yarn and after that I was addicted.

spasmo
08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I started for two reasons. I needed a portable hobby and I was going to be in a car with my sister for several hours and she likes to impart her knowledge. My sister had been telling me to start knitting and I hadn't gotten around to it. She decided the time was right to teach me (her captive passenger) to knit while we were driving to my Aunt's funeral. She was right... I love knitting. And she is amazing. She taught me while she was driving.

Tutu Carol
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I became very ill & was going out of my mind, having to be in bed most of the time. I was in Hawaii at the time (lived there); the Tutu's (gramma's) all knit these beautiful Hakulei's (it is a lei for your head or hat); so I cornered a Tutu & she helped me get going. The rest is history!

I am now a knitting whore, I can not go anywhere without going into the local knitting shop.

I only wish I could knit faster as my head is full of projects & my darn hands won't cooperate! lol

Carol

silvia castillo
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Thank God I I agree with all of you about what triggered the knitting addiction. Boredom, just plain relaxation, etc. I live in Guatemala and would love that there would be more places

Ravlei
08-13-2007, 03:30 AM
I've always been interested in knitting but never really got around to trying it (because I'm lazy). But after seeing a few blogs with some really adorable knitted items, I knew I had to try. Hopefully I'll be able to make some things for me and my boyfriend before winter comes, Lol.

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I found a pic of me knitting as a kid. LOL! What a pro! That's me and my friend Sandy in Ottawa (Canada) back ca. 1979.

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Forgot to attach the pic
:flirt:
Notice the DEFINITE influence of the crocheted pillow made by a relative. :)

Sharly
08-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Forgot to attach the pic
Notice the DEFINITE influence of the crocheted pillow made by a relative. :)

Oh! That is priceless!! I think the only thing I've done for that long is breathe! :lol:

astonh
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I actually took up knitting when I was stuck in the hospital a week before my daughter was born. I was in isolation due to the infection I had so had to have SOMETHING to do while I just lay there. Husband brought me a little knitting kit and I learned via the crappy pix in the printout he provided. LOL. It hasn't been until the past few months however (2 years later) that I've actually got any good on it to knit anything other than the poncho I'd been working on for a billion centuries.

sinistral_needler
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Was there an event that caused me to start knitting? Nah, other than my pending insanity. :clink: And an urge to learn something new.

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Was there an event that caused me to start knitting? Nah, other than my pending insanity. :clink: And an urge to learn something new.:roflhard: "pending insanity"!:roflhard:

sinistral_needler
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I am glad that you got a kick out of my pending insanity. It has been progressing for years and the bubble may burst at any time, so WATCH OUT! :D

salos
08-13-2007, 05:29 PM
With me it was my mother or grandmother handing me needles and yarn. But then I didn't knit for many years. I saw the Guideposts sweater pattern and got back into it. I mean, think of all those cute little children who need sweaters! That got me clicking.

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I am glad that you got a kick out of my pending insanity. It has been progressing for years and the bubble may burst at any time, so WATCH OUT! :DI'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing WITH you............I resemble that remark:teehee:.........we'll see which bubble bursts first, mine or yours? But NOT before I knit one more item!

sinistral_needler
08-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Whew, I am not alone.:thumbsup: That does make my day!:happydance:

cut3z1d4n3
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I started knitting due to lots of manga I read when I was a kid. The female (mostly high school) characters knit some thing (sweaters usually) to confes her love to her crush.

Pretty sort of foolish idea since I lived in a tropical country. Knitting was very limited. No one knits back home.

laikabear
08-14-2007, 04:21 AM
OK I have a weird one...

No one in my family knits, although my grandmother's friend taught me some basic crochet when I was about 10. I made an afghan and then got bored of it...

But the reason I decided to learn to knit is my doggy Laika. She is a Husky/ Chow mix and has the softest fur. She sheds PILES of undercoat twice a year and I was brushing her last month and thought, what a shame to throw away all this soft hair again. And then I thought, I know I have heard of people making stuff out of dog hair, sweaters and things... :think:

So I Googled "dog hair sweater" and found some sites dedicated to spinning your own yarn from doggy undercoat. There is a company (VIP fibers) that will spin your dog's hair, all you have to do is ship it to them. And then I could just locate someone who knows how to knit to make me something... Or... :figureditout:

I could learn to knit. So I decided to learn to knit. So far I've been knitting about 3 weeks and I have a couple of things finished... I am collecting the fuzz everytime I brush Laika and hopefully by the spring I will have enough to send to the spinners at VIP. I think I will make a throw or possibly a scarf from her. Mostly just a keepsake for after she is gone. :verysad: She is 9 years old and has aged a lot this year, it seems.

In the meantime, I am surprised that knitting is more fun than I thought it would be, and that there are nicer yarns than I remember using when crocheting (Red Heart!!!), and that the FO thread on KH is so inspiring. There are tons of things I want to make besides the Dog Hair Item. I think I have become a knitter!!!

Sharly
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, Laikabear, that is so awesome - I would love to be able to do something with the cat hair around our place. Heck, I'm already wearing it everywhere I go!!

There was an episode of Knitty Gritty about spinning/knitting pet hair. It was pretty fascinating!

Please let us know about your experience!

SusanMarie1956
08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not too sure why I started knitting again. I started when I was about 8 when my Mom was teaching me. I quite... then about 40 some years later, I'm knitting again. As a BEGINNER. I forgot so much!

spasmo
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
But the reason I decided to learn to knit is my doggy Laika. She is a Husky/ Chow mix and has the softest fur. She sheds PILES of undercoat twice a year and I was brushing her last month and thought, what a shame to throw away all this soft hair again. And then I thought, I know I have heard of people making stuff out of dog hair, sweaters and things... :think:

I think this is so cool. I have golden retrievers (well right now I'm down to only one golden retriever but I have high hopes of adding to the herd soon). Everytime I brush them I think about all the fiber that I could put to good use.

Please keep us posted on how it goes... K?

Arielluria
08-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I think that's cool too. Now I have no shedding dogs, but if I do again, will think about having someone spin the hair.

rorygilmore
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you had Brain Cancer. My mom had brain cancer as well. My mom was doing really well until it went to her spine. She died in 2004, the same year my son was born.

I started knitting when I wanted something to do while breastfeeding my son. It took me a few days to learn how to cast on but I haven't put my needles down since than.

Songbirdy
08-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I started knitting because I was sick of seeing sweaters I loved in the store but couldn't afford. One day I priced out what it would cost in wool.

So I decided to knit. That winter the one ball of yarn was knit and tinked all season long. The next winter I finished a scarf and something like 10 pairs of slippers... and so on!

It helped my DH works nights. It gave me something to do out in our lonely farmhouse other than wake the children up for company!

PugMom
08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I received a matching scarf set for me and my Pug in a raffle, and I thought it was amazing that the scarf set was made just for me. I thought it must have taken forever! I then decided that I wanted to learn, so I found KH almost a year ago and I haven't stopped since. I have no idea what I did in my free time before knitting!

scout52
08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I started getting migraines when i was 11. My neurologist recommended that i try relaxation techniques to control the migraines. So for a relaxation technique my mother took me and my twin to knitting classes when i was thirteen. So i knitted for a few years then i stopped. Then I started again in Law school and been knitting obsessed ever since.