PDA

View Full Version : Derivation of 'frog'?

Susan P.
07-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I had never heard this term before coming here and it always strikes me oddly. Does anyone know how the term came about?

IBAmyB
07-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't know how the term came about, but I know that it's not unique to knitters. It's also used by cross-stitchers... That's where I first heard the term, on a cross-stitch forum.

Phretys
07-07-2007, 01:20 AM
I also first heard the term from the cross stitch community. I guess the "rippit, rippit" sound makes more sense in that context, because when you're pulling cotton thread out of stiff fabric it does make more of a ripping sound than undoing knitted yarn. :) Come to think of it, they do often use the terms "frogging" and "ripping" interchangeably.

Debi

KnittingNat
07-07-2007, 03:52 AM
As i understand it: "rippit rippit" sounds more like "ribbit, ribbit" when you say it fast enough and then it sounds like a frog...

Susan P.
07-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Interesting re the cross stitch.. it's just not a term I've ever heard in the craft context before and when I first read it here I wondered what on earth people were talking about! :)

redwitch
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
This was discussed recently... remember that the site has a search function and Google is even faster!

Susan P.
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I was pleased to feel I could ask my fellow knitters a question. If I always looked something up it would generally end dialogue.

redheadrachel
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I asked this question too, and I'm so excited that 1. other people have wondered the same thing and 2. the explanation behind "frogging" is just so hilarious. Cuz you rip it? That's classic! :rofling:

Susan P.
07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
redheadrachel.. :) I recall finally telling a friend about something I used to wonder and think and she looked so suprised and said.. I had the same idea but thought I would be a goose saying it! It's interesting when you realise we all have common or shared questions at times. Life is one grand learning curve!

debinoz
07-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I remember the first time I'd read the word here a few months ago. I was totally confused because I thought everyone was adding those decorative closures to everything. What would the world be like if we never asked questions??

knitasha
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
the explanation behind "frogging" is just so hilarious. Cuz you rip it? That's classic! :rofling:

The other expression you'll hear a lot is "tink."
That's when you don't frog whole rows, but un-knit a single stitch at a time until you get to the mistake. (tink = knit backwards)

redwitch
07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
FYI the word 'nerd' was originally 'knurd' from the backwards spelling of 'drunk'.