PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I am going to ask this, but...

Brandilyne
07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
I really have to knit this (http://www.dangliebits.com/images/ww4a.jpg) as a prank gift of sorts. I need some suggestions on what yarn I should use. Obviously it needs to be silky soft for such a um, er, *ahem* sensitive area. :mrgreen:

This recipient loves stripes, so I would love to use a self-striping yarn if anyone has any suggestions for something super soft! I was thinking of using DB's Cashmerino but don't want to have to make my own stripes and carry the yarn. I've only done that on one project so far and don't feel comfortable enough with it to try it on this particular pattern, heh. :wink:

Here is the pattern (http://www.dangliebits.com/kwillie.html) I'm going to use unless anyone has any other suggestions?? :teehee:

Quiltlady
07-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh my!!:oo:

ready2knit
07-07-2007, 09:18 AM
How/when exactly does one measure for this?.......:lol:

Jana

farrah
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
how funny! =)

Could you make it spiral out...sort of like a cork screw?

zkimom
07-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Isn't that the banana cozy that went with this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61257&highlight=A+handknit+you+didn%27t+know+needed...)?

:aww:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :roflhard:

Arielluria
07-07-2007, 10:01 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
Perhaps Caron Simply Soft?
:flirt:

Ingrid
07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I think any of the baby yarns would be soft enough, washable, and
stretchy. :shifty:

knottyknitter
07-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I made one of these for a friends bachelor party, it was candy cane striped. The guys were really embarrassed giving it to him -but he thought it was funny. I made mine from acrylic cause I knew he would never wear it.

redwitch
07-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Dye your own stripes a la Eunny (tute).

P.S. make sure you get the size right especially if the boy in question belongs to you. If you make it too small he will be insulted, but too big and he may get insecure.

Arielluria
07-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I think too big and he will be flattered ;)
:whistle:

iza
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I want to see a picture when you're done. Ahem, with a live model. :shifty:

aineepooh1
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
someone on this board made a knitted thong. if we could find them they could give us input b/c i remember she tried it and said it felt comfy~
maybe some super soft cotton that is warm and breathable. .. is this for function or fun~:think:

Susan P.
07-07-2007, 11:33 AM
It may be novel also to try that ultra thin ribbon than can be used like a yarn. Mind you, if you could find something that would glow in the dark that would be great :lol:

GinnyG
07-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I think any of the baby yarns would be soft enough, washable, and
stretchy. :shifty:
:flirt::passedout::flirt::flirt::passedout::flirt: :passedout::flirt::passedout::flirt::passedout::fl irt::passedout::passedout::flirt::passedout:
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
OH MY

Ingrid
07-07-2007, 01:02 PM
:teehee:

KnitClickChick
07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
:roflhard: That is soo funny!! I agree that a baby yarn would work just fine. Hee-hee!!! Please post a pic when you finish it!! :roflhard::roflhard:

Sharly
07-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's proof positive that knitting isn't just for little blue haired old ladies!!!

Brandilyne
07-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Hee! You guys are hilarious! :roflhard:

And funny that Ingrid mentioned using stretchy yarn because I was actually thinking about that...

Do you knit it to fit when um, one is just lollygagg-ing about or do you knit it to fit when one is, er, ready to go into battle? Heh.

And sadly, I don't think I know anyone who would be willing to model it for a picture, but I'll definitely make sure to post a pic of the item when I'm done :wink:

I'm thinking about some lovely soft silk yarn, if I can find something that stripes! Then again, silk can be a little slippery and goodness knows I wouldn't want it to fall off!
:whistle:

iza
07-07-2007, 01:34 PM
:rofling:

jeanius80
07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
KP has a silk wool blend, its very soft :) you could get it in bare and dye it yourself ... i was thinking of knitting a bunch of these for christmas gifts :lol:

jodstr2
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Classic Elite Wool Bam Boo is super buttery soft, and :twisted: **SHINY** :twisted: you know, for when he wants to, like, show it off ;).

but it's solid. maybe use 2 colors?

rosefields
07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
:shock: my oh my!

Quiltlady
07-07-2007, 02:20 PM
This post is so funny. I'm glad we kept it "clean" and are having a few good laughs over it. :roflhard:

jodstr2
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Do you knit it to fit when um, one is just lollygagg-ing about or do you knit it to fit when one is, er, ready to go into battle? Heh.

:think: :eyebrow: :shifty:

edited to add... I just looked at the piccie you posted and it seems like it might be able to be worn, *ahem* under different conditions. maybe make it with "relaxing" in mind, but with some size allowance for "work"..

jeanius80
07-07-2007, 07:27 PM
i'm curious as to how much yardage the pattern needs, i didn't see it listed ?

clb1968
07-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I just asked DH if he wanted me to knit him one , he said no.:roflhard:

Arielluria
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I want to see a picture when you're done. Ahem, with a live model. :shifty:Is that what they call "yarn p0rn"?????????
:shock::roflhard:

KathrynBeach
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
:thumbsup: You go girl!

I say knit with either Crystal Palace's "Merino Stripes" -or-
Noro's "Aurora" (shimmery wool/silk blend - oo la la!) which you can buy from String of Purls.

Cristy
07-07-2007, 11:10 PM
pearls...lets not go there...:rofling::roflhard: sorry...I couldn't help it...

I have absolutely no suggestions but I have enjoyed the giggles as I read through everyone's response...

G J
07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm with Cristy! No suggestions, but enjoying a GREAT laugh! DH is asleep, or I'd offer to knit him one. Of course, then he'd say :woohoo:"Time to PLAY!?"

Belphoebe
07-08-2007, 12:14 AM
After showing my man, he demanded Caron Bliss yarn..."Bliss or nothing baby." Also, he recommended measuring for work use, unless you are going to incorporate some sort of elastic.

:thumbsup:

I needed this laugh more than you all know!

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 01:29 AM
after reading this, i did a little googling, and a man who knit this, reccomends strongly, to knit this at the "working hard" size, he said most men have a few spontainious ... while sleeping. HTH

:roflhard:

redwitch
07-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Yes they do but is it going to be worn to bed... I mean to sleep?
Hmmm ribbing or elastic I reckon.

LindaB2603
07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
I definitely think it needs to be washable!

Krystal
07-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Yes they do but is it going to be worn to bed... I mean to sleep?
Hmmm ribbing or elastic I reckon.
it pops up on other occasions I have heard... so better to have the extra room than to be... pinched in all the wrong spots.

hahaha.

But I think a soft self striping and machine washable baby yarn would be great.

orcoastknitter
07-08-2007, 02:51 AM
KP has a silk wool blend, its very soft :) you could get it in bare and dye it yourself ... i was thinking of knitting a bunch of these for christmas gifts :lol:

This would make a very interesting "family opening their presents on christmas morning" moments....

ADAllen
07-08-2007, 10:42 AM
This would make a very interesting "family opening their presents on christmas morning" moments....
I'm with orcoast on this... I already sympathize with your nieces. It's going to be quite a shocker.:shock:

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm with orcoast on this... I already sympathize with your nieces. It's going to be quite a shocker.:shock:
:teehee::thud:

ya'll are cracking me up! we always do something funny for christmas,and it usually goes in the stockings. last year we got thongs for all the adult girls. i though it would be funny to give the guys willy warmers, i'd only have to knit 4 :rofl:

misha rf
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
This thread is hysterical!!

Just showed the "item in question" to my husband. Being the smarta*# that he is, he said, "it's for a one legged baby?" :rofl: He briefly considered having me knit one, but decided that it didn't really appeal to him. :lol:

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
OH. MY. WORD.

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard:

I asked DH if he wanted one and he said, "It sounds like it would be itchy". ROFL!!! I explained that you wouldn't use rough/scratchy WOOL.

Rorshach
07-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Here we go again, with the....ahem....Willie warmers. There was a very old thread posted a couple of years ago on this same subject, just as funny then as it is now. :rofl:

cre8ivsoul
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
Perhaps Caron Simply Soft?
I'd also suggest the Canon Simply Soft. In my experience with knitting it, it tends to have some stretch to it and the knitted item also seems to "grow" lengthwise some when "handled".

Arielluria
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
After showing my man, he demanded Caron Bliss yarn..."Bliss or nothing baby." Also, he recommended measuring for work use, unless you are going to incorporate some sort of elastic.

:thumbsup:

I needed this laugh more than you all know!LOL:roflhard: "work use"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, love the pic of your baby on your avatar!

Arielluria
07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
:teehee::thud:

ya'll are cracking me up! we always do something funny for christmas,and it usually goes in the stockings. last year we got thongs for all the adult girls. i though it would be funny to give the guys willy warmers, i'd only have to knit 4 :rofl:That is a great idea! For the Christmas gag gifts. Maybe we should have a KA for all our hubbies eh?!?

VictoiseC
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
How about using some really scratchy HEMP with a few heavy beads here and there?

Arielluria
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
How about using some really scratchy HEMP with a few heavy beads here and there?For an enemy I presume?!? :roflhard:

kemp
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I did that pattern and used karaoke yarn. Turned out with some nice striping.

jeanius80
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
i was thinking of using artyarns supermerino or ultramerino in the colors that match their favorite football teams....seahawks, raiders and i think steelers :shrug:

G J
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
:roflhard:I've seen painted bodies and game jersies at games, but not that far south!!!:roflhard:

jodstr2
07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I did that pattern and used karaoke yarn. Turned out with some nice striping.

:heart::cheering: I love it!!! :cheering::heart:

edit to add: my coworker saw that pic and asked, "why are the peas as big as the string bean?" :rofl:

jjminarcik
07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I don't have any suggestions, either, but I'm :roflhard:. Thanks for posting this! I think I've lost 10 lbs. by laughing!!

Brandilyne
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
You guys are killing me!! kemp, that's so awesome! :roflhard:

Ok, the yarn has been purchased. Like any good yarn slut, I went to my favorite LYS and felt up every single freaking skein in the place. It was a toss up, but I went with Cider Moon's Glacier in Grand Canyon (https://st75.startlogic.com/~cidermoo/osCommerce/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=121&invis=1&osCsid=9b5635d0aef6b5e8e3b24765da64cfe1). I realize it won't necessarily stripe, but I fell in love with the bright colors and wanted a worsted weight soft washable wool.

You should have seen me when the lovely sales person was asking me what I was looking for! Ack! I was trying to act all nonchalant, but apparently I looked perplexed instead, since she came over to help me. Hee. Sometimes I hate great customer service :) After much hemming and hawing, she demanded I pull out the pattern and show her what I wanted. :rofling: Luckily for me, she loved it and spent the next 30 minutes touching and squeezing every piece of fiber in the place. Once we got into an, ahem, lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of elastic sock yarn for this project, we could not stop giggling!

Momto G B and H
07-09-2007, 09:53 PM
You will love working with the Cider Moon yarn. I made a hat with it, it's soft as butter.

letah75
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh my goodness!!! :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

You HAVE to post a picture of it when you completed it! I forwarded a pic of this to my mom (with the pattern). She's going to send it to her friend whose daughter is getting married. Apparently her friend (a wonderful 60 something church lady) is going to knit this up for the bachlorette/bridal shower and give it to her daughter.....I think the best part of it is my mom is the priest's wife and sent it to her church lady friend.:flirt:

mwedzi
07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
:heart::cheering: I love it!!! :cheering::heart:

edit to add: my coworker saw that pic and asked, "why are the peas as big as the string bean?" :rofl:

That's exactly what I was thinking! But then I decided that it was best not to judge. People come in all shape and sizes. And sizes. :)

msoebel
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
And my dh thinks that knitting is boring.

On a side note, I will NOT be making him one of these. It's hard enough to get the man to keep his clothes on.:wink:

Misty

panchita
07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
the yarn you choose is washable. Ickity split if not! :ick:

Rorshach
07-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Hehe I suppose I could knit up one of these and model it for you ladies..........nah, wouldn't want to scare you off. :ick::rofl:

Blissknits
07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Who knew there'd be threads on the knitting forum that needed to be labeled NSFW!? :lol:

Riss
07-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey guys... I saw this thread... and knew I had to make one. I just wanted to let you know that the location for the pattern has changed a bit. Here is where the pattern is now... (http://hearthwench.tripod.com/kwillie.html)

And here is my finished Willy Warmer :D (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1248/900305538_43d280c240.jpg?v=0)

Samsam
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
It came out awesome! the stripes are really lovely.

iza
07-25-2007, 09:05 PM
:teehee: Awesome, Riss! I love it!

jeanius80
07-25-2007, 09:08 PM
riss- great striping!

zkimom
07-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Hehe I suppose I could knit up one of these and model it for you ladies..........nah, wouldn't want to scare you off. :ick::rofl:

:passedout: :aww:

Aaron,

What would your wife say! Maybe you ought to knit one up and model it for her? :eyebrow:

Riss
07-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I really wasn't expecting it to stripe as well as it did. Its just your basic Red Heart Super Saver verigated. It'll soften up with a wash, and then i'll have to find someone to try it on for me. :D

I do love the striping though... I'm gonna have to make a few more in some more verigateds I think.. :D

Snugglebugmom
07-25-2007, 10:53 PM
:roflhard:
I asked DH if he wanted one and he looked at me and said: "Are you kidding me??? And exactly what kind of "knitting" forums are you a member of???"
See? Knitting is hot! :mrgreen: