PDA

View Full Version : Bad LYS Experience--a little long

misha rf
07-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, I suppose I should start off by saying the shopping itself was very nice. :rofl:

This is a store I've previously visited. Took a class there! The Husband & I went on Friday afternoon, b/c, lemming that I am, I decided to jump on the MS3 stole bandwagon, & needed some laceweight. Well, they really didn't have any, so I consoled myself with a couple of hanks of Mmmmmmalabrigo. :lol:

Checking out was no problem. Had a nice chat with the employees behind the register, & then went home.

My husband told me last night (around midnight) that there had been a message on the machine from the LYS, saying that they'd only charged me for one skein, and had charged my card for the other. The Husband was PO'd b/c they didn't actually talk to us prior to charging the card. I was PO'd b/c my receipt showed that I'd paid for two.

So I call this morning. The owner answered, and was curt with me. She said that my receipt may show two, but the one I signed showed I'd only paid for one. (Of course, I don't have that receipt. And what kind of system do they have that would allow this to happen?!) She said she put the charge through for the other hank, and would send me copies of all the receipts. I gave her my address, etc., & thanked her for sending it. (Yes, I was relatively nice, even though she was not.)

Then, I go online to look at the bank statement. I was charged THREE times!!!!:grrr:So I call the LYS back. I get a different person (who was working the day I was in), who is very nice. He said the owner was with a customer, but he'd try to help. I told him the story thus far. He explained that when she put the charge through on Friday, it rejected it, saying it was a duplicate charge, so he said to put it through for a penny less so it would go through. She'd also apparently called the bank, so the bank must have decided to authorize the initial second charge. He said he'd refund one of the charges to my card today, and verified that they had my address so they could send the receipts. I thanked him for his help. (He is very nice!)

Here's the kicker, and why I won't EVER go back there....

At one point during the second call, the nice employee asked the owner, "Didn't you have a problem getting the charge to go through?" And she replied quite snottily, "NO!" I could hear her quite clearly, even though she didn't sound like she was all that close to the phone. Then she seemed to remember what happened. But at no point was she apologetic for ANYTHING.

This isn't the first time I've seen her negative attitude, either. I went in one day to see my instructor. She was nice as pie to me, until I asked if the instructor was there. Then her attitude changed, and she not-so-nicely told me that the person was out & would be back later. I've also seen her use the same tone with other customers.

I really like the other employees, but I just can't see going back there & spending any more of my money (or my time) to support someone with a bad attitude. There are other shops in the area where the owners aren't rude. They'll be getting my business from now on.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Braden
07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
:ick: I hate bad LYS trips. I can see why you won't go back, sounds like she just wants your money.

ready2knit
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Misha,

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Here's the thing, tell them about it. Too many times merchants give consumers bad service, because we the consumers allow them to. Send the owner a letter, being very matter of fact, and letting her know that not only has she lost your business, but that you will make a point of letting your knitting friends know about it. The best way to get someone's attention is through their pocket book.

Jana

redheadrachel
07-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow, I'm sorry. That's really no fun. I'd definitely take my business elsewhere. Good luck finding a much better LYS :D

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
wow. at least the clerk was a nice guy. did your bank fix the extra charges?

Nobones
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with your LYS. I don't like mine but it's the only one around. I wanted some yarn to make dish cloths and the lady said 'why on earth would you want to knit them?', and when I've gone in looking for a certain size of needle, if they don't have them they ALWAYS say, No they don't do them anymore, I look on the internet and find them! They always say the pattern must be very old if you need that size, and it's usually from a modern book!

I think I will just have to get over my fear of ordering online!

dakatzmeow
07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
snip...

I think I will just have to get over my fear of ordering online!

oh yes, you really must! i love ordering online! knitpicks is da bomb!

sorry you had such a crappy experience. i wouldn't shop there anymore either. maybe in your letter to the owner, you could mention that you posted your experience to several thousand members on your knitting forum. :rofl:

aineepooh1
07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
so sorry to hear you had a crappy experience. I agree with the other poster... Let the owner KNOW why she is losing your business. Undoubtedly you are NOT the only person who has seen this side of her and others may have not said anything but they probably were turned off too. I really think you should let her know b/c LYS are a specialty market and we as customers are limited (somewhat) in our choices. THEY ARE THERE TO SERVE US ... NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Naturally she has spent lots of $$$ to get her business going and she would be upset if she lots all her cash. Hit here where it hurts... hit her pocketbook. Perhaps SHE needs to take some time off, or delegate responsiblites b//c she is overworking, overextending herself. Whatever the cause... IT CAN'T BE FIXED UNLESS SHE KNOWS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.. even HER own attitude. She just may be working too much and may be getting burned out, cranky, and mean. She just may need a vacation... I am NOT excusing her behavior.. but in situations like these you have to stop and ask yourself... WHY the behavior happened in the first place~
this may be the reality check she needs~!:thumbsup:
hugs to ya~:hug::hug::hug:

mathwizard
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
What is LYS? I am not used to a lot of abbreviations. Sounds like you have a right to be tick. I would make sure that they really do reverse the charges. I had an experience like that and the charges didn't get reversed and I had to file fraud charges with my bank. I eventually got my refund.:cheering:

Silver
07-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'd be back to give her a piece of my mind. I don't understand why yarn shop workers are notorious for being snotty self righteous creeps. They must be pissed off because of Knit Picks. It's all KPs fault for being such a FANTASTIC company to order from. Which reminds me... I need to place another order... *big cheesy grin*

Silver
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
What is LYS?
Local Yarn Shop/Store :)

CarmenIbanez
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I have decided in my 35th year (not waiting for the magic 50 that my mom and all her friends tell me happened to them) that I will no longer put up with crap from anyone. I will not be rude, I will not be angry, I will not be innappropriate, but I will no longer let people treat me poorly without offering them some constructive feedback. Here is the kicker. As women we are told not to get "emotional" because then people dismiss us. But realistically, it is good to tell people that they have hurt us. So I always add, when I have wronged that the person has not only lost my business, but behaved in a rude and HURTFUL manner. Why lie? Why pretend like it doesn't hurt our feelings. It does and people should know that! I disagree about the letter. Although now that the situation is over, it is the best way. But confronting people directly, IN PUBLIC is the way to go. It forces then to address the situation directly and immediately.

Sorry, diatribe city! But I just feel strongly that the more we "polite" people fail to be assertive, the more empowered rude people are!

Yarn Doc
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
LYS = Local Yarn Store

I agree, watch your online statement to MAKE certain that get your refund, and let the owner know via letter, phone call, or face to face why you're not coming back. Or don't, if you can't be bothered. But DEFINITELY get your money back!!

Doodknitwit
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
isn't it amazing how one neg attitude can ruin../lose a good customer. HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. we can & will shop
online.. good customer service keeps us coming back
retail 101!! :eyes:

Sanibelle
07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'd be back to give her a piece of my mind. I don't understand why yarn shop workers are notorious for being snotty self righteous creeps. They must be pissed off because of Knit Picks. It's all KPs fault for being such a FANTASTIC company to order from. Which reminds me... I need to place another order... *big cheesy grin*

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I hate when that happens - I would never go back there - I think that it was so wrong for her to charge your card first - l don't even think that she had the right to do that even if she made an honest mistake - and then to be so rude about it.

If it was me, I would not go back, nor would I write her a letter. I just would never shop there again. If she treats enough people like that she will eventually lose enough business and either realize why or wind up closing.

I have been in yarn stores like that too... the first time sometimes I give them the benefit of maybe it is a bad day, but the next time that is it for me.

Fortunately I live where there are at least 20 knitting stores that I can think of within a half hour from where I live or work so I have lots of choices.

frostywolf
07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I personally wouldn't put up with that. I would call my cc company and dispute all but the original charges, stating that they are unauthorized. If you signed a slip with a certain amount, that would be all they are allowed to charge, no?

If they had nicely asked me to come back, showed me the receipt with the error, I'd be fine with that. Run the card with the difference, sign a new slip etc. But in all the years I've worked retail, adjusting the charge after the customer signed and left is a HUGE NO-NO. :fingerwag:

misha rf
07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I personally wouldn't put up with that. I would call my cc company and dispute all but the original charges, stating that they are unauthorized. If you signed a slip with a certain amount, that would be all they are allowed to charge, no?

If they had nicely asked me to come back, showed me the receipt with the error, I'd be fine with that. Run the card with the difference, sign a new slip etc. But in all the years I've worked retail, adjusting the charge after the customer signed and left is a HUGE NO-NO. :fingerwag:

My husband said the same thing. Maybe they thought that b/c they called & said they were doing that it was ok. Dunno. So far, there's no reversal of charges or a credit to my account. Since it's a debit card, the charges post pretty quickly. If there's nothing by tomorrow, I'll call my bank to see what they can do.

I would have been ok with going back & signing something. And even more ok with it had there been any sort of apology for the mix up. After all, this wasn't my fault. I am glad that there are other yarn stores in the area.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback! :hug: I will send her a letter. I'll have to think carefully about what I say & how I say it so I don't sound bitchy.

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
:!!!:hmmm, i just re-read what you wrote. 1st, the owner did NOT get your approval to re-charge your card; they left a message on your machine, then put the charge through TWICE. i would not only file a complaint with the BBB, but strongly express my concerns with my bank for authorizing the charges over the phone with out notifing me first. 2nd, i would write a letter, reminding her of what had happened, and telling her that she is practicing bad business ethics. i would not shop there again, unless i was paying with cash, as i would not trust them to NOT over charge/ extraniouslyt charge my account.

kristinw
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Just so you know that even with a debit card, it can take several days for refunds to show up.

marykz
07-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks to all of you for your feedback! :hug: I will send her a letter. I'll have to think carefully about what I say & how I say it so I don't sound bitchy.
Um- don't worry about being "bitchy"- you are in the right. while mistakes may happen, it is their attitude in fixing those mistakes that counts. Be strong.

angel4ever
07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I live in Jersey City, NJ & there really are no yarn shops here. We have an AC Moore 3 towns over & a RagShop that is going out of business, so I travel into NYC to purchase yarn every so often (but usually buy it online)

I went to a store called New York Knits. I figured I would go there because they offered free knitting classes in the park. I attended one of the classes and thought the "instructor" was pretty decent. So the next day I traveled to the store only to find a tiny store, overpriced yarn, and very rude and snobby people working there. I was so disappointed. Needless to say I have never set foot back into that store again.

aineepooh1
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
misha ~ I am SO GLAD you are going to write her a letter ( or a face to face confrontation for all I am concerned) but PLEASE don't just say " well.. I am never going back there again. NOW that is a good strategy b/c money talks.. but as stated earlier ( now I am repeating myself) If THEY DON'T KNOW WHATS BROKE THEY CAN'T FIX IT~.. IMHO.. by just saying to yourself.. well I will never go there again.. we are tolerating their behavior b/c if they didn't like/want/ agree or want to deal with us being their customer.. they don't have to deal with the problem ( us ) again because they ran us off .. KWIM???.... I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to give anyone that luxury who has been intentionally rude to me... She needs to be held responsible for her behavior and needs to confront her negative attitude for whatever reason. It is just NOT acceptable to treat people this way.. especially in retail... So :cheering::cheering::cheering:for you for making her be accountable for her actions. I do agree ... cool off good before you write it.. but you are doing us all a favor b/c UNDOUBTEDLY she has treated others this way.. and that is JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR IMO~!
~ ( ainee steps off soabox)
:aww::waving::waving:

redwitch
07-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I can't believe it was legal for her to decide to charge your card more later! I don't know why I love hearing stories about rude LWS employees... but I do! I would TOTALLY file a complaint. Sorry you had to put up with that... but online retailers seem to have their heads around the fact that they work for you. I have heard only good things about KP customer service and experienced it a couple of times myself.
Good luck dealing with this *****.

Sarah

PammieJR
07-09-2007, 03:07 AM
WOW..I am still stuck on the first part that they charged your card two more times with out your authorization!! After that, the bad behavior of the owner isn't surprising...

You'll have to keep us posted about this one!

Sharly
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
I would never go back, either, and I would make sure my friends who might shop there would know about it too. Of course, telling the owner why is mandatory.

What I don't get, is why would a LYS owner have such a bad attitude? I mean, surrounded by yarn? Isn't that a fantasy for each of us??? :lol:

suzeeq
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
It takes about 3-5 business days (doesn't include weekends) for a credit to show up on your statement. It's not whoever does the credit, it's the banks/CC companies. They're very quick to post the charges, but they take their time posting the credits....

LibraryLady
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I've become much more intolerant of rude behaviour in my 'old' age also.

I've learned the most effective way to write these type of letters is to make sure you have documentation to back up the story. Take screen shots of your bank statement, print it, then black out the personal information. Make copies of the receipt you do have, again blacking out the personal stuff. Then make copies of these, and send THOSE copies along with your letter. Why this way? So you have exact copies of what you send her.

Have someone else read the letter before you send it to make sure you're not saying something slanderous or unprofessional - and to catch your spelling/grammar errors. The best way to get someone's attention in this situation is be professional, state the facts, what you've had to do so far to fix the situation and let them know at this time you're not interesting in returning to the store or recommending them to anyone. You might give kudos to the nice employee, as this will show your intention to be helping this business owner by giving an honest critique.

I learned in a marketing class, people will generally broadcast their bad experiences to friends more often than their good experiences. The old axiom was bad = 7 retellings and good = 3 retellings. Of course, that was in the stone ages :teehee: before computers!

I would definitely get in touch with your bank and let them know what happened. Allowing charges to be processed without your authorization is a HUGE no-no. Can we say illegal? Try to find out what bank she was using also and inform them too! The total bill for a yarn purchase may not be very much to the bank, however it's still illegal! If your bank isn't willing to take some corrective action, I'd look at changing banks. That's scary, they are that careless with your money.

Also when calling the bank, don't just settle for talking to the first person on the line, or a teller at the window. I'd insist on speaking to the manager, even if it takes take to set up an appointment. Be polite, be firm, but let them know they did wrong!

Please let us know how this works out for you, too. I really like to hear about people standing their ground and making other people do the right thing when they are wrong.

LL

clb1968
07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
It takes about 3-5 business days (doesn't include weekends) for a credit to show up on your statement. It's not whoever does the credit, it's the banks/CC companies. They're very quick to post the charges, but they take their time posting the credits....

Yes they are very quick to take your money and very slow to give it back. But it can be credited back faster than most places do it.

I would protest the other charges for sure, you signed the charge slip in the store, it is fraud for them to charge the card again after you left the store, no matter if she called and left you a message or not, that is not an authorization from you to charge your card again.

misha rf
07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the additional feedback!

I'll have my husband look over the letter before I send it. He used to be a manager at a small law firm in Manhattan. I've already printed out the page of the bank statement that shows the three charges (did that last night). I won't actually send the letter until I get the copies of the receipts that she promised. I want to see what (if anything) else she has to say. I'm not holding my breath for an apology, though!

And I'm planning on making a trip to the bank to discuss this with them...the bank VP knows me (& the husband), and has told us that if we ever need assistance with anything, to let him know. Maybe he can tell me if the credit is actually there before it posts. :thumbsup:

LindaB2603
07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
I've been very fortunate to have good success ordering online. I've even gotten quite a bit from Ebay and have been very pleased with 95% of it.

There is nothing like a bad experience in a local store to really dampen your day. Hope you have a better experience at another store.

aineepooh1
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering: Misha~

frostywolf
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Also when calling the bank, don't just settle for talking to the first person on the line, or a teller at the window. I'd insist on speaking to the manager, even if it takes take to set up an appointment. Be polite, be firm, but let them know they did wrong!

As someone who works in a bank, let me just point out that we don't know if the bank did anything wrong. If the LYS probably neglected to mention that the charge that was rejected was for a customer that was not present. Banks don't get the signed slips. I would imagine that the LYS owner said something like, "I have a customer here that is making two purchases for the same dollar amount, but your system is rejecting it."

Of course, if the bank doesn't help out at all, I might begin looking for a new bank.

callagain
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Aw, very unfortunate experience. We've all had our share, I reckon! I do encourage you to indeed write a letter...she may have NO CLUE as to how she comes across. Then again, she might not care! :) I recently had my own bad LYS experience which was so bad (and so ridiculous) that it prompted me to write my first "slap upside the head" letter...it was very carefully worded, very polite but definitely drove the point home. I got no response LOL! But I tried!