PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I learned....

merryknitter
07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
On Friday, my friend taught me the Mobius Cast On and I have made a little basket that I will felt soon!

Talk about freaking your mind out! How does anyone think things up like this? I have to say, it was really cool and not hard...just different. Also learned the Magic Loop...not hard...just different! I am also amazed at those of you that can just read a pattern or book and get it...I definitely have to be shown! LOL!

Since I've only been knitting since last October, I am truly amazed at all there is to knitting. It's so interesting and fun! Seems I am a visual learner...usually make lots of mistakes, but I finally get it! LOL!

Have a great day!
Merry

nadja la claire
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
What is the Mobius CO? :?? How is it different for say long-tail? Sorry I know that's probably a silly question but I've never made a mobius. :shrug: :oops:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Braden
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
A mobius is a twisted circle that has one surface and one edge, as explained by Cat Bordhi. A mobius cast on is a special cast on so you can knit the twisted loop. It's sort of like a provisional cast on that goes around your circular needle two times, so your needle is doubled over, and you start from the center and knit out, putting in patterns as you want.

Congrats, Merry! Any chance we'll see a pic? ;)

ready2knit
07-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Merry, Congrats!

I love learning new things in knitting. I've not done the Mobius cast on. When would you use it? I'm not a felter-don't see the appeal. I do love Magic Loop- have had lots of fun with that.

I'm with you...show me. I don't buy too many knitting books, because I'm much more of a visual person.

Congrats again,
Keep knitting!

Jana

suzeeq
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
You can use the MCO to make scarves or wraps. Look at the pictures from this book - http://knitpicks.com/Treasury+of+Magical+Knitting_BD30511.html

tilllie
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Soooo, when I join the ends when starting something in the round and it ends up being twisted....Is that then a mobius????? Or just a goof requiring frogging!!!! Tillie
:shrug:

suzeeq
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
It's a goof. A true mobius has only one edge, that's why the caston is in the center of the piece and you work out to the edge.

Braden
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Another way to knit a mobius is to provisional cast on however many stitches and knit for as long as you want, then graft the two sets of stitches together. That creates the same effect.

merryknitter
07-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks Braden for explaining that...I know what I did, but can't explain it...LOL!

I will post some pix as soon as I felt it. I still need to weave in the ends and felt.

Tillie...it's funny you should say that. I was making the Mason-Dixon washcloth and found out how important it was to not have a twisted stitch...I goofed twice and had to frog....I made a mobius, before I knew what it was...LOL!

Stay tuned!
Merry:)

Carla1019
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Soooo, when I join the ends when starting something in the round and it ends up being twisted....Is that then a mobius????? Or just a goof requiring frogging!!!! Tillie
:shrug:

:chair::chair::chair::chair: