PDA

View Full Version : Feeding My Inner Geek

Knitting_Guy
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I've never denied being a geek when it comes to technology. I do love my gadgets. I've been enjoying this new GPS unit so much that I just ordered a higher end model yesterday. It should arrive at my house just about when I do. I did get a good deal on it.

It's a Garmin Nuvi 350, and is a definite step up from the Lowrance 250. It's not that I actually needed it or anything, it's just a better toy than the one I have :rofling:

I'm looking forward to playing with it later this week.

Jan in CA
07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
:teehee: Always fun to have a new toy! Now you won't mind getting lost. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM
A trucker never gets lost.

They just sometimes take a scenic route :thumbsup:

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 03:47 PM
this is what i need... a gps for my vehicle. that way, i only have to take the scenic route when i want to! :mrgreen:

misha rf
07-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I bought one for my husband for Christmas. It's still sitting in the box!!!! :??:shrug: Not that he *always* needs it, but there are times when it would be very helpful...

Knitting_Guy
07-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I never really *needed* one either. I've done without for a good many years and just bought the first one on a whim.

They're really useful and I'm now glad I have it. I think pretty much everyone should have one.

I am planning on installing a weather proof one on my recumbent bike later this summer. :happydancing:

nadja la claire
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
They just sometimes take a scenic route :thumbsup:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
When people say I have a bad sense of direction I always say no I don't I just like alternative routes. I mean I always get where I'm going in spite of the fact that I like the scenic route and I always get there on time due to the fact that leave home early because of my love of the path least traveled.

:muah::hug:

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
When people say I have a bad sense of direction I always say no I don't I just like alternative routes. I mean I always get where I'm going in spite of the fact that I like the scenic route and I always get there on time due to the fact that leave home early because of my love of the path least traveled.

:muah::hug:

Nadja xxx

I know exactly what you mean. I've always been a "I wonder where that road/path/trail goes? I'm gonna find out." type person myself.

marykz
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
that's how you find the best stuff!! exploring!! While we do need a GPS and will get one with the next car, I kinda enjoy finding new ways around. sometimes I even find legitimate shortcuts!

(and can I say here how much M*pquest sucks- it seems like they are always mistaken near here.)

debinoz
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I guess I need to get DH one so he can't make fun of my map reading anymore. So what's wrong with turning the map upsidedown if you're going south??! A quarter turn counter-clockwise for east and clockwise for west??? At least I've never told him to turn the wrong direction!

Knitting_Guy
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
:rofling:

Carla1019
07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I bought one for my husband for Christmas. It's still sitting in the box!!!! :??:shrug: Not that he *always* needs it, but there are times when it would be very helpful...

Misha,, If you DH does not have a hobby and like the outdoor. My DH does not like the outdoor, But love to geocaches (http://www.geocaching.com/) which take place outdoor. Here is the page (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=dafab521-16ff-4b6c-a758-ebe0c84d9579) on us. It give us somethings to do on the weekends. My DH would just set around doing nothing, now we get out and go hunting. Plus he is now on the Arkansas board, He is V-president. So that will keep him busy as well.:wink: DH does not have any hobby, just watches TV and plays porker on the computer. He is going to drive me crazy when he retires in about 10 years.

Mason.. You did good on a Garmin. That is the best brand.:happydance:

Dangles
07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Mason, good choice on the Garmin Nuvi 350. You will not be disappointed.

Knitting_Guy
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I've already started looking into geocaching. Looks like fun and I set up an account at geocaching.com. The iWay is no good for it but the Nuvi will work. I may pick up an eTrex model later on just for geocaching.

Carla1019
07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Mason :yay::yay::yay::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are going to have to tell me all about your first Geocaches when you find it....:happydance::happydance: once you find the first one you will be hooked..:yay::thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Carla. I just sent ya a friends request over at geocaching.

I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I can manage to hunt a few in different states as I travel if I can locate some near my stopping points.

Carla1019
07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
They are EVERYWHERE!! small/large.. All over the world not just US. I know people hide them at most rest stops. So you shouldn't have a problem there. It will get you out of the motel room,, and away from your knitting.. =( but you can knit at night, you can't geocachs at night.......................unless it is a nighttime cache.. Those are fun.

Can't wait to hear about you advanture.. and I added you to my friend list.

If you have any question about it let me know. I might know the answer if not I will ask my DH.

Have fun hunting.

Now you are not a "muggle"

meearnol
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I second Carla's suggestion about geocaching. My dad has been very into it for a few years now. I got him a Garmin eTrex a few years ago for Christmas. I've found a few, but since I'm a student and I work full time, I don't find as much time to go out hunting. It's a lot of fun though, and I think you'd really like it. Just for S&Gs, here's my profile, too: TheCallieJeanyus (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c14bfd7b-f5fc-4bd1-9ec4-ae41b647e768)

Knitting_Guy
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I found a cache listed about a half mile from this truck stop and decided to go hunt for it. Better than sitting around. It made for a nice walk but the cache was located at a very busy Cracker Barrel restaurant and there were far too many people around for me to get it although I am positive I know where it was.

I didn't find it but it was still fun.

I did find a survey marker though, and was able to log that as found.

Carla1019
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Mason,.. I told my DH that you had signed up for geocaching. He told me about a web-site you might like to check out. It is about Geocaching and truck drives (http://geotruckers.com/index.php?pid=2).. it will help you find places to park your truck around area that have geocaches.

There is a whole series on Cracker Barrel caches. They are all called "off your rocker". We hid one at our local C-Barrel.
Too many Muggles around for you to find. oh well.. you will have lots more changes to find some.

Knitting_Guy
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Cool site. Thanks!