PDA

View Full Version : Hair removal products

Angelia
07-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I love the feel of shaved legs, but my leg hairs are so thick and grow so fast that the silky feel lasts about half a day. :pout: The worst hairs start from the middle of my calf down. They're also really dark, so even after just shaving, my legs have 5 o'clock shadow :rofl:

I really don't want to pay for salon waxing, and frankly I can't afford it. I have tried Neet, but it isn't powerful enough to get rid of these leg hairs from hell. I have used the Jergen's stuff that slows hair growth. It helps a little, but not enough. Any suggestions?

TIA

Kaydee
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm a traditional razor/shaving cream girl but I have very light hair on my legs that grows pretty slow...I only need to shave my legs once a week if that. My mom though hates shaving and has been using Nair for as long as I can remember, she loves it. They have a 5 minute kind that is quick then you just rinse off. Whatever you do don't use Nads (http://www.nads.com/). I don't know if you've seen the infomercials for it but its supposed to be all natural and painless. I don't think so. It hurt so bad and was basically like trying to wax my legs with honey and cloth strips. What a waste of money, but it seemed so great I had to try.

Jan in CA
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I find that using some sort of scrub before shaving helps me get a closer shave. I'm not particularly hairy, but I do think it helps. The sugar scrub/ body polishes are awesome even for arms/back, etc. Makes you sooo soft!

I tried one of those lotions (don't remember which one), but it made me feel sticky...like it didn't soak in. :shrug:

Stiney
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
What about those Sally Hansen wax kits? I get some hair on the tops of my feet (:ick:), so that's what I use them for, but they're sold in "leg" packs or "arm" packs or "face" packs, so they are designed for legs. The ones I usually get are the no-heat kind, you just rub them together between your hand, separate the strips and put them on your legs. Press them down, and then rip 'em off. Not as good as a "real" wax, but it might help.

Angelia
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Only shaving once a week?! I'd love that! You're so lucky!

I've tried Nair, too. It doesn't remove the bad hairs.

Jan, I do exfoliate before shaving, which does help for getting a close shave. But still, just half a day of smooth legs.

Stine, I tried the Sally Hansen years ago, but the 'wax' never got hard enough to adhere to the hairs. Maybe I just got a bad box? Sorry you have Hobbit feet! Apparently, I have Hobbit legs. :teehee:

Stiney
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Nair didn't work for me, either.

Angelia, are you thinking of the ones you have to heat up? These don't get hard...they just stay sticky, so you can re-use the strip to get hairs that didn't take the first time...I'll bring one to FF if I remember.

Kaydee
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Maybe you should try using actual wax. I have a friend that never shaves, she only waxes her legs but she does it herself with something like this (http://www.folica.com/One_Touch_Delux_d207.html).

Chel
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I totally get this thread. I get barely half a day of smooth legs-sometimes less!

*waits eagerly for the solution*

KnitClickChick
07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Well... I hate to shave my legs, it is such a pain in the butt. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I only shave about once a month. Not because I have light hair and can get away with it, but because I really don't care. I do not wear shorts, so it isn't like anyone has to look at my legs. And boyfriend really doesn't care. Sooo, I get pretty hairy legs! Have you tried Epilady? www.epilady.com You know, one of those gadgets that just rips the hair out. My aunt used to have one when they first came out. She said the first time hurt, but after that it really wasn't a big deal.

I agree with the comment about Nads being a waste. I tried that a few years ago, and it didn't do a very good job getting all of the hair out.

brownishcoat
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I use this: Magic Shaving Powder Platinum (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000142TIG/ref=nosim/?tag=yahoo-hpc06-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000142TIG&linkCode=asn)

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31G2Z35RS5L._AA220_.jpg

I get it at Walgreens (drug store), around $2.

It works awesome. It has to be super creamy (not too watery) and sometimes a second coat is needed. I apply the first coat, wait five minutes, and apply the second (my hair is very thick and stubborn). Ten minutes on the skin total.

Then I rinse it off in the shower and scrape the skin with the edge of a plastic spoon. This dislodges the loose hairs that didn't let go in the rinse.

nik
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Your best bet is to get real wax. Sally's sells Gigi's and that's the number one seller. Their brazillion kit is the best, and you can use it anywhere.

Nads is okay, but your hair has to be really, really long. I can not stand not being able to shave for 2 weeks to let it grow (and mine grows fast)

Another idea is an epilator from the Sharper Image. They are expensive and you need a glass of wine to do it, but it grabs short hair and is easy and not messy. That's what I use, and before that I used Gigi's, which is what most salons use.

orcoastknitter
07-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I am chia pet when it comes to leg hair. I swear I am! :rofling:

I have thick coarse leg hair. I used to shave every single day. It was a pain in the butt. I could shave my legs and the next day and wake up the next morning and I have stubble... and when I got in the shower it would start to grow! If I went swimming forget it! It was stubblely. I just use shaving cream and razor. I shave about every 2 days now. I have tried Neet, Nair, Sally Hansen's, etc. No luck!

Silver
07-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm like Kaydee... very fine leg hair that grows slowly and sparsely. I only shave about once a week or so, and only when I think about it.

My grandmother (Nana) NEVER shaved her legs. She had peach fuzz when she was young, but it fell out and never grew back. She had permanently silky smooth legs for the rest of her life. :oo:

I do use a Sally Hansen wax for my eyebrows and bikini line though. Works really well and comes with a soothing lotion that erases any pain.

Nobones
07-11-2007, 05:26 AM
What you want is an elpilator, it look scary, but you legs stay smooth for up to 6 weeks. If you use it regally they grow back fine and you find yourself using it less. I've had mine for about 10 years, they can be pricey, but worth the money in MHO. You can get them with different heads so you can do underarms, bikini line etc.

willowangel
07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
What you want is an elpilator, it look scary, but you legs stay smooth for up to 6 weeks. If you use it regally they grow back fine and you find yourself using it less. I've had mine for about 10 years, they can be pricey, but worth the money in MHO. You can get them with different heads so you can do underarms, bikini line etc.

Just what I was going to say - I have really thick black hair too, as well as sensitive skin. I can't shave cause my eczema gets really bad, and I used to get salon waxes but they're too expensive now... so I got an epilator, and never looked back. Much less painful than home waxing, takes a while the first time but after that it's quite quick, gets all the hairs, still sore but makes the hair regrowth much less over time. Whereas I used to be yeti girl, I'm now more on the balding dog side of things ;-)

Wouldn't do anything else now - I still shave underarms cause epilating made me sneeze too much (don't ask, weird nerve connections), and I bleach my top lip (tried electrolysis but having a needle shoved into a follicle and then electrocuted was a little too painful). But for legs etc, epilators all the way - and most of them come with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee - so if it hurts too much then you can take it back.

So, now you guys know more than my fiance does about my hair removal practices lol - I'm going to go...
Fi xxx

Debbie
07-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I have used an elpilator for almost 20 years ... and hardly ever have to use it on my legs now... they are pretty much hairless :) I use it for under arms about once a week and even use it on my upper lip and peach fuzz jaw line every six weeks or so. My first one was Epilady and I don't remember the brand of the one I use now. I love smooth !

candicane
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I just looked at the Sharper Image website and they have a Panasonic Epilator for $89. That's about the cost of 2 bikini waxes. I might have to look into it. Anyone have a brand suggestion?

Candice

jillliv
07-11-2007, 03:38 PM
I have epilated for the last 11 years and not looked back since. i bought the Satin Ice epilator last year from braun after my last one wore out after 10 years.My legs are so used to being epilated that i don't need to use the ice pack, it's virtually painless. I have to be careful with my underarms though because i have lost 78llbs in weight, so have got a lot of loose skin - but if I pull the skin taut enough it's ok. I'd reccommend it to anyone!:cheering:

nik
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I just looked at the Sharper Image website and they have a Panasonic Epilator for $89. That's about the cost of 2 bikini waxes. I might have to look into it. Anyone have a brand suggestion?

Candice

I have the other one, the Emjoi. I like that because you can plug it in. It does have a charge option but it's not nearly as good. So I would think that the Panasonic wouldn't be as good because you can't plug it into a wall.
I've had the Emjoi for over 5 years now and it works great, even after you drop it 100 times or so (:

willowangel
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Mine's a Satin Ice too, by Philips I think - it's great :-)

JessicaR
07-12-2007, 12:34 AM
How the heck does an epilady work? :?? BTW, I just used the Veet blade less razor kit, I'm not impressed with it.

Jan in CA
07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
I had an Epilady at one time and it hurt so bad I don't think I used it more than twice. :shrug:

Angelia
07-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeti...:roflhard::roflhard: That's exactly what I feel like!

And thanks so much for your input, ladies!!! :muah:

The epilator sounds like the way to go. Considering the cost (and waste) of disposable razors (I use Venus), the epilator will pay for itself quite quickly.

As for pain, I have a pretty high pain threshold, so I'll bet the first couple of uses won't bother me much. (In desperation, I've even tried plucking my leg hairs, but it's just too time consuming.)

In the meantime, I need to go to Sally's anyway to correct a hair dye gone horribly wrong, so maybe I'll check out that Gigi wax stuff. My leg hairs grow so fast that I won't have to wait long to use it. :roll:

Silver, my dad has no leg hair! :shock: My great grandmother was Native American, and dad ended up with a lot of her features, including being virtually hairless except on his head. (He plucked his facial hair until he was in his late 20s.) He has no chest hairs--not even the fine hairs most of us have. The joke at our house is that I have more chest hair than he does :rofl: I ended up with some of her features, too, but unfortunately bald legs isn't one of them. :pout:

Stiney
07-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Ang, my Italian grandfather's shins are as smooth and hairless as his bald little head. :teehee:

Mom's shins are hairless, too, but she's still got bad thighs. I'm the opposite--most of my hair is on my shins. I'm just glad I don't have Dad's hair genes. :shock: There are some hairy men in my family! (Also, I don't want to go bald. :teehee:)

hillerkim
07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I didn't see it mentioned but VEET is pretty good too. It's on the order of Nair except it comes with a plastic shaver that you use to remove the hair. It usually kept me hair-free for a week for sure and after about 2 weeks I needed to redo but like someone else said "i'm chia-pet" and grow hair like it's goin out of style. ;D

Good luck.

dakatzmeow
07-13-2007, 05:16 PM
i've waxed portions of my legs in the past. but it's so painful. i DO love wax for other areas though. the eyebrows, stray chin hair, the lip, and bikini.........sally hansen and other grocery store brands work fine for me. i may look into the gigi brand though. i'm always looking for a better wax.

IBAmyB
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
My grandmother (Nana) NEVER shaved her legs. She had peach fuzz when she was young, but it fell out and never grew back. She had permanently silky smooth legs for the rest of her life. :oo:

My grandmother too! My mom and I are so jealous of her!

Oddly enough I was using the Jergens shave minimizing lotion a couple of years ago when I met my family at "The Lake".... I was only one who wasn't being eaten alive by the mosquitos and we figured out it was the lotion! So, now my mom and grandma always make sure they have a bottle of the Jergens lotion when they are down there to keep the mosquitos away! (Though grandma doesn't need it!)

caviar
07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Has anyone done the laser thing for legs? I know it's pricey, but I wondered if it's worth it?

Kirstin

hunterjenn
07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
I do it on my chin. Did I already mention that here? Anyway, it's $100 a pop (:help: my mom pays), so I have no idea what it runs for legs, but if it hurts as freakin' much on legs as it does on your face...not interested! :shock: (My chin is less sensitive than my legs, by the way. Can't wax 'em.)

debb
07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I usually shave ( I like the Venus razor) but I also use MOOM. It cleans up very easily.

http://www.imoom.com/products.php?cat=8

zip
07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
The epilator sounds like the way to go. Considering the cost (and waste) of disposable razors (I use Venus), the epilator will pay for itself quite quickly.

As for pain, I have a pretty high pain threshold, so I'll bet the first couple of uses won't bother me much. (In desperation, I've even tried plucking my leg hairs, but it's just too time consuming.)

Waxing is no pain whatsoever compared to the Epilady. I have a high pain threshold as well. Waxing? pffffft - easy. That freaking epilator? Jan's right. Keep that thing away from me. It's a torture device.

Knit1Drop1
07-15-2007, 10:39 AM
This thread is a little old so I don't know if anyone will read this but I am Hairy with a capital H and here is my two cents.

How you react to the hair removal method is as important as how the hair is removed.

Things I have tried -

Nair - don't like. Hit or miss. Doesn't get all the hair.

Veet - gets ALL the hair and is great for when you have gone a looooong time without shaving (easier to dissolve long hair than to shave it) BUT tends to easily cross the line from "on long enough" to "there are chemical burns on my legs." I use it when I need to attone for months of hairiness BUT it is too dangerous and pricey to use as a regular method IMO. (I find one can lasts, what, 1 1/2 uses for whole leg for me?)

Epilating - I have used the Braun models and the pain, you get used to... it's nice and mess-free... can be done on short hairs... does make hair come back thinner and sparser in some areas... BUT some areas of my legs just don't respond well. I think I make more keratin than the average person (evidenced by keratosis pilaris on upper arms, thighs) and this seems to really contribute to the liklihood of ingrown hairs and red spots from epilating. It's not a matter of exfoliating because it has to do with how my skin reacts from levels too deep to be reached by manual exfoliation.

Waxing - results same as epilating, faster and so SORT of less painless... but tendency for ingrowns and irritation the same. Basically both of these methods CAN be great but it depends on how you react.

Shaving - great short term results, but red bumps and irriation soon after... not to mention fast regrowth which means the need for repeated irritation.

What I have settled on is a Braun men's electric shaver (specifically a self-cleaning synropro). It is not AS close as a blade but it is about as close as how I feel an hour or so after a blade plus my skin looks and feels better due to less irritation and regrowth for whatever reason doesn't feel as horribly sharp as with a razor. It's also nice to sit on the warm, dry floor and get all the hair from all the angles, rather than trying to contort myself in the shower and get it all. I do have my husband help with the backs of my thighs sometimes, if I will be wearing a bathing suit, since the hair grows in so many directions and it matters more then that I don't look ghastly back there. ;)

So that's my 2 cents. Electric for me. Not perfect, not super long lasting, but my skin is so much happier that even with a touch more stubble, it looks and feels 1000% better.

Some day I will do laser. I have had it on my chin with great results. But I am undergoing fertility treatments and hoping to get pregnant one of these months (or years, as it's going) and most places won't do you if you're pregnant so I don't want to shell out for a package and then have to wait for ever to actually complete the job. Plus pregnancy can impact hairiness so I want to wait till I am done having kids or have given up on having another kid before I start with that.

antimony
07-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I have been using a Braun epilator for years. It's a little uncomfortable, but not really painful at all. I get my legs and underarms waxed at the salon every couple of months, and touch up with the epilator.

The new-style rotating disc epilators are a *lot* less painful than the original Epilady.

janelanespaintbrush
07-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Anyone else have problems with razor bumps and ingrown hairs? I never had them until after I had a bad experience with a home waxing kit, which I'm convinced made my follicles go haywire. (My doctor's reaction when I went in for my annual exam was "what happened to your legs?!?") The only thing that works for me now is Schick Silk Effects. It has thin wires that wrap over the blades. They're supposed to help prevent nicks, but I find that they're pretty effective at keeping the shave from being too close. (When my leg hairs are shaved too short, they invariably start growing beneath the epidermis instead growing out normally. It's really annoying. Especially when I try to shave off what looks like long hairs with the razor and then realize I can't because they're actually under the skin! Ugh!)

Overall I'm pretty lax about shaving my legs, though. DH wonders why I bother (I've got dark hair!), but I feel self-conscious in shorts and dresses. Most of the year I go without.

larudden
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I HATE shaving my legs and will really let it go because I also don't care.

Years ago, I had laser hair removal for my bikini line and it worked real well. I ran out of $$ before I could get it all done (went 2 times) but I'm still happy. My Portuguese/Italian ancestry really socked it to me in the hair department and, frankly, I'd get it all lasered off if I could.

May have to try the epilady thingy. Is it as painful as a tattoo?

Blissknits
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
To be honest, the first couple of times I used the epilady, it was much, much worse than a tattoo. I had bleeding and bruising. There was some drinking involved. :shock::shock::shock:

After the first time, I vowed never to touch the stupid thing again. But then I noticed that my shins had zero hair on them. That stupid thing really works.

The second time was almost as bad, but not quite. Now I use it periodically, and it doesn't really hurt at all. There is some minor redness that abates within a couple of hours. Major reduction in hair re-growth. Advil before the first few times helps a lot.

larudden
07-31-2007, 07:03 PM
:shock::shock:HOLY CRAP!:shock::shock::shock:

I bought myself an epilator today (called Emjoi Sin Dolor for $25 @ Wal-Mart) and may I say that the pain is, yeah, worse than a tattoo! WHOA! I just wasn't expecting it to be that bad!

With that said, I went ahead and got just about both legs done before calling it a day. PHEW! I need a drink!

I will DEFINITELY be taking an Advil when I resume.

I think I've developed a twitch!:passedout:

janelanespaintbrush
07-31-2007, 07:21 PM
I can't remember whether this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the other day I read some reviews about some Aveeno products at drugstore.com that supposedly reduce the need for shaving. I think the line is called Positively Smooth, and they make a shave gel and lotion. I think I'm going to try the gel after I run out of my current one.

mrs desert rain
07-31-2007, 08:11 PM
azulene oil is GREAT for reducing ingrown hairs after waxing, and it's also rumored to slow hair growth.

waxing is my favorite method -- it's painful the first couple of times, but as your follicles relax (and your hair softens), it's much more tolerable. and you really can't beat not shaving for a few weeks. (i was a daily shaver for YEARS, which wreaked havoc on my skin...)

the epilady -- i had to LOL because when it first came out, my dad gave one to my mom for Christmas. :???:

DQ
08-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I've got a Phillips Satinelle Massage epilator. I've only used it a couple of times so far but it's given me the best results of everything I've tried (shaving, cream, home wax) :yay: