PDA

View Full Version : OT- Knitting Injuries- not for the squemish

holamiis
07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone else make the mistake of putting their DPNs on the floor and then promptly (or later) stepping on one and getting it right through the skin between your toes.....OMG!!! Panic Inducing! I'm okay but its a scary sight to see a piece of metal stick out of oneself.
:shock:

Braden
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
:ick: Ouch!

feministmama
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
OH. My. Ew. Yuck. Oh you poor thing. :hug:

holamiis
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Not to mention that the particular DPN is now completely bent and useless. Dangit!

DQ
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Ouch!! :shock:

:hug::hug::hug:

redheadrachel
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Aww, yikes! Sorry to hear that :ick:

But on the bright side of things, you have a wonderful excuse to buy some new needles :inlove: :happydancing:

debinoz
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
That sounds painful... kinda reminds me of the time I stepped on the cross stitch needle....

KnittingNora
07-10-2007, 08:12 PM
eeek! That has made me squirm at the thought of it! Ouch! :shock:
Glad you're fine, and the thought of a purchase of new needles should make the pain a bit better :lol:

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
:shock: I'm glad you're ok!
Not exactly the same, but when I was a kid, my sister left her head gear (her dental type thing for her braces) on the floor:ick: and I stepped on it, right through my toe. It hit a nerve and my toe swelled up to twice its normal size. Yuck! I haven't thought of that in ages....:teehee:

rebecca
07-10-2007, 08:37 PM
OUCH, (I have no idea how to spell this, but...) OIEEEY OIEEEY!!! That had to hurt!!!

dakatzmeow
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
metal sounds better than bamboo though. yipes!

Ingrid
07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
As a matter of fact, I DO know what it's like to have a metal dpn stuck in one's foot. :rofling: I dropped one, it bounced off the top of my foot and landed at an angle stuck in the carpet, so I of course walked right into it and it jabbed into the bottom of my foot. There was more shock than pain, I think.

Lieke
07-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately I know the feeling as well. I had a large dpn in my knittingbasket standing straight up and when I crossed my legs I jammed it onto the DPN. ouch. It's a year ago and you can still see the spot :(

Nobones
07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
:ick: you poor thing. Console yourself by buying some nice new needles, and if buy needles then you just have to have the yarn to go with the new needles! I know, my logic is a strange one!

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Not to mention that the particular DPN is now completely bent and useless. Dangit!Spoken like a true die-hard knitter!
:roflhard:

cftwo
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
My little sister got one of my mom's dpn's stuck in her head once - bent the needle, but no blood. (Mom'd knitting was on the back of the couch, kids were horsing around, head met with knitting needle.)

callagain
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Reminds me of a family story: My mother home on leave (she was a WAVE) was upstair doing something or other. My little Scottish grandmother was downstairs and asked my mother if she could please come down WHEN SHE HAd THE TIME. Eventually, my mother made her way down to find my grandmother calmly sitting there with a knitting needle stuck in to her calf muscle! *gasp*

pandaca
07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Ow, ow, ow! Glad you're okay.

Knit Mom
07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
YIKES! When I first started knitting, the tips of my fingers all had a bruse on them from pushing the needles through. :oo:

GinnyG
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
:passedout:

IBAmyB
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
OW OW OW OW OW!!!!

I haven't done that but right now I am getting over losing my toenail on my right big toe (dropped a can of Mandarin oranges on it in Feb, new toenail is still growing in... same toe I lost the toenail on 10 yrs ago when I dropped a cafeteria tray on it!) and last week I slammed the 4th toe on my right foot into the Doggy Steps (swelled up and turned purple) ... it was healing and I then slammed the same into a table leg! My poor right foot!

(I have bad luck with my long "monkey" toes!)

I hope you heal soon!

rainberry
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
ouch! That sounds painful!

bajanKnit
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
ooucchhhhh !!!!But I can relate to your stories, but mine was a nail a 31/2 inches of galvanise nail through my foot. I couldn't wear a shoe for weeks..:cry:

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I got that beat............<said like Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws when comparing scars> :teehee:

I once saw a 3' sword fall (it was real, metal sword on our wall) when my mom was putting some linen away she brushed up against it and it landed firmly between the 2nd and 3rd digits of the foot........and remained standing up!

Talk about :passedout:

debinoz
07-11-2007, 06:08 PM
I got that beat..... (said like the other guy)

Arms through a garage window... blood everywhere, glass in my wrists and hand and the muscle in my upper arm hanging out, and all the time me screaming, "but I don't want to go to the hospital.. it'll heal!"

bajanKnit
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
wow .... you are a trooper. you sound like me the time the honey bees attacked my face my eyes were swollen shut for quite awhile but me i wasn't having that hospital thing it would go down I said.

LibraryLady
07-11-2007, 06:24 PM
:ick: you poor thing. Console yourself by buying some nice new needles, and if buy needles then you just have to have the yarn to go with the new needles! I know, my logic is a strange one!

Who says this is strange logic?

I think we all here can agree this a very normal, sane, basic logic! :cheering::thumbsup::roflhard:

LL

annomalley
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
:shock:
I can relate. I once had to have a toenail removed, and in order for the doctor to remove it, he had to numb my toe by giving me a shot right in the webbing between my toes. I hope I never have to get poked there ever again. By anything.

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I got that beat..... (said like the other guy)
................"but I don't want to go to the hospital.. it'll heal!""You were on the Indianapolis"??????:shock::roflhard:

clb1968
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
OK, I am type one diabetic so I stick myself with needles , on purpose everyday. 4 or 5 shots and 6-8 finger sticks. I have callouses on my finger tips from all the testing.

I have not had any knitting needle mishaps (yet) knock on wood, but I did get a fishhook stuck in my side when I was little.

psammeadred
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I once forgot that I had loose size 1 DPN's in my knitting bag. I remembered them real quick when I was digging around and one got stuck under my fingernail.

debinoz
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I should say I WAS taken to the hospital.... by an ambulance. I did not cry one bit until they said they had to deaden it to stitch things up. I swear that needle was 5 feet long and 6 inches around. I screamed so loud that my mother passed out in the hallway.

msoebel
07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
:ick: This is a morbid thread.

So far the only knitting injury I have had is split cuticles (I sometimes jab myself while knitting and talking...I am not a person who can multi-task, obviously).

BUT I have put my arm through a glass door at my 19th birthday party. It was so fun to take the whole party to the emergency room so the doctor could sew my wrist back up. The cool thing was, you could see the tendon in my wrist. It was gorgeous.:thumbsup:

I didn't fight going to the emergency room, but I will tell you that it didn't hurt that much until they started sewing it up. I think I was in shock.

Misty

Arielluria
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I've never had one of these mishaps, but I am ALWAYS extra careful when putting my work down. I can imagine leaving the needles on the couch and one of my dogs jumping up and hurting themselves with it. So I ALWAYS put it on the coffee table or if I MUST put it down I stick the pointy ends into a cushion so it does not pose a danger.