PDA

View Full Version : Slippery DPNS?

redheadrachel
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey everyone. I have the KP Options set which I have used for almost EVERYTHING (and I love love love love it) but I really like knitting socks, and I like doing them on dpns (it's way less fussy, and I appreciate that). However, I've only used bamboo dpns. I like them, but I really love slippery metal needles for their speed, luxury, and everything else. lol If I get a set of metal dpns, will I have a lot of problems with them slipping out of stitches? I'd rather use the slower bamboo ones if I'm going to be dropping stitches right and left, especially since that'll end up slowing me down more in the long run.

Your thoughts? :D

nik
07-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I think you should just try them. Some like them and some don't. I had a hard time and prefer bamboo. They are $4.00 for a set so you wouldn't be out much.

Ingrid
07-10-2007, 06:39 PM
As much as I love slippery metal needles, I only use bamboo for dpns. I find that when I let go of one of them, it has often slid out. I also (and this is just my idiocy) sometimes grab a needle thinking it's the free one, and pull the wrong one right out of the stitches. :shifty:

The bamboo resists enough so I can catch myself most of the time.

I'd say buy a pair and try it. If you don't like them, you've got a nice set of cable needles.

kristinw
07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I love the KP dpns. I used bamboo for my first socks and they were good. But then I used my metal ones and they are fabulous! :inlove: My stitches have never fallen off at all. In fact right now, I am knitting some socks with them. I'm holding one of them by the point and shaking and nothing is budging. I suppose if you are a loose knitter you may have a problem though.

debinoz
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm with Ingrid. I don't know how many times I've grabbed the wrong dpn, then spent 10 minutes putting the sts back on.

cheesiesmom
07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I've pulled out the wrong needle regardless of whether its bamboo or metal, so personally I wouldn't let that concern you. I do, however, cast on with my birch needles and after a round or two switch to my Options. I find that once I get a couple of rounds finished, I don't have problems with the metal needles falling out. And since that's generally where the ribbing is, I don't notice any problem with the gauge or appearance of the work. You might try it. The best of both worlds for me.

Doublereeder2
07-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I love the KP Options, but I really did not like their dpns. They felt very heavy and way too slippery to me. They kept falling out of my work - so I traded them away. I am much happier with my little CP dpns.

I would say try them - if you don't like them, some else will.

Braden
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I love slippery metal needles for everything, including dpn's. I don't often use dpn's for socks, though. Instead, I use 2 circulars, but I love the KnitPicks dpn's when I do use them. I would say buy a set and try them out, and if you don't like them, the monetary loss isn't that great.

I tend to knit a bit on the firm side, so the needle sliding out of the work isn't really an issue for me, but if you knit loosely, it might be. If you knit tightly, metal dpn's are a must. For me, nickel-plated needles are the way to go, but you might have a different opinion once you try them out. The only real way to figure out which ones you prefer is to try them out.

Denise in Michigan
07-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I like using lightweight metal dpns for socks--never have a problem with them slipping out, even though I tend to knit a little loose, and you can't beat the pointy tips for K2 tog and SSK! I did once try a sock yarn swatch on someone's Addi dpns. The needles felt waaaaay too heavy to me and as if they might slide out if I didn't keep a tight grip on them.

ArtLady1981
07-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I only use Crystal Palace dpn's...I like the shorties best.

misstialouise
07-14-2007, 08:12 AM
My favourite DPN's are Casein ones... they're niiiiiiice...

Rorshach
07-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Personally I like the metal DPNS, the bamboo or any of the other wood ones that I've tried started to bind up after a while, and I'm guessing it was from the sweat in my hands that caused it. so I went with the metal ones from KP. and now I won't ever go back. Primarily because I like the loose feeling, and as far as having needles slide out involuntarily, well it hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean that it won't.

scubasinger
07-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Ditto to all of the above problems: pulling the wrong needle, stitches falling off, etc.

But I still use metal for the ease of moving the stitches around. I'll always have to watch which needle I'm grabbing. And I've learned that as long as there are four or five stitches on the metal needle, it probably won't slide off. With one or two stitches, I just make sure I lock the sucker down somehow before I let go of it.

But the slipped stitches are only a very occasional aggravation, far outweighed (in my opinion) by the advantage of the smoothness of the metal.