PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Lapghan #1 - FINISHED!!

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes, it's time to start another blanket. I already have 6 knitters on the list, including those who have signed up to be pinch knitters on our other Oddball Blankets. So, we need to get another blanket going.

One of our pinch knitters is allergic to wool, so we will put her near the top of the list. In fact, I will arrange all knitters so that allergies will be addressed, the way I did with Blanket #5.

So, if you are interested in being an Oddball Knitter, just send me a private message, and include your mailing address, as well as listing any allergies you may have to yarn or pets or smoke. I also need to know if you have pets in your home, or if you're a smoker.

Also, you can tell by the title that we are making a different kind of blanket this time. It will be a LAP AFGHAN! :)

Right now, we have 5 full-size blankets going, so I figure it will be fun to make something different. Our lap afghan will measure 42 inches by 50 inches when it is complete. I'll be doing the border all around when it's done, so that leaves 40 by 48 inches for all the knitters to work on. So, I'm casting on 200 stitches for this blanket, and we will need 16 knitters, doing about 3 inches each.

Once again, we will be using washable worsted weight yarn. I will have the stitches on a size 8 circular needle, ready to travel and be worked on. I'll get the needle back when we finish the blanket, and use it to start another.

Here's our list of knitters so far:

Shandeh
jjminarcik
Renoah
debinoz
nkyknitter
Ladybug Lady

We just need 10 more knitters to get started.

Let's start by using new knitters who have not yet participated in an Oddball project.

(I have a feeling we'll be starting another Lap Afghan soon after this one, so those of you who have participated before, just hold your horses!):teehee:

debinoz
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

jjminarcik
07-10-2007, 06:22 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering: I can't wait!!

Renoah
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
:woot::happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot:
I'm running to pick out a stitch pattern now!

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm glad you are all excited! I am too!

(I've already started working on it!) :teehee:

snowbear
07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
me, me, me, me
*stands on hind legs so she can see me..

please please please!:hug:

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
me, me, me, me
*stands on hind legs so she can see me..
please please please!:hug:

:roflhard: I'll put you "on hold" Snowbear, because I'm trying to get new knitters first. I'll let you know soon, though! :thumbsup:

snowbear
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
* hmmmmmm must go to vet to get glasses...missed that part of the posts.... * turns slightly red. and sneaks back to her ice float....

* now can't you see a polar bear getting glasses? imagine the eye chart.. fish... seal... penguin... Ok... I'll stop

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
:roflhard: I laughed so hard when you said you would go to the vet to get glasses!

snowbear
07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I am glad to give the gift of laughter... It should always be given in large amounts.

Hugs....:roflhard:

Shandeh
07-11-2007, 01:23 AM
I started the Oddball Lapghan! :cheering:

I'm using 2 yarns from my stash.

The cream yarn is called "Carisma", and it's a very soft, plush yarn that makes an interesting fur-like fabric. The sage green yarn is "TLC Amore". This is such a cushy beginning for our lapghan! :heart:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1031/773928425_432524ddcc.jpg

Dangles
07-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Snowbear, I've got a treat for you ... ;-)

suziehomemaker
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Shandeh - Can you put me "on hold" too?

I'm on the list for the #5 Blanket already but I don't think it will get to me until 2008.

:nails: :knitting:

Let me know if you need a PM with my contact info again.

KKraft
07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Hello
I am new to the forum and joined just so I could help with one of the oddball blankets. Are there still spots available for this one?

snowbear
07-12-2007, 02:10 PM
:chair:

:roflhard:

I love it!!!!! Thanks soooo much...lol

* will send to vet to have filled, lol

Shandeh
07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Shandeh - Can you put me "on hold" too? I'm on the list for the #5 Blanket already but I don't think it will get to me until 2008. Let me know if you need a PM with my contact info again.
I'll put you with Snowbear. Maybe she's willing to share a "holding" ice float with you. :teehee:

And sorry about #5. I've contacted SimplyKaar. I might just start another one, and use the one she worked on for a different list of knitters. :wink:

I am new to the forum and joined just so I could help with one of the oddball blankets. Are there still spots available for this one?
Hi KKraft! Of course you can join us!!! Thanks for joining the forum to be part of our KAL!! Just send me a private message with your mailing address, and I'll add you to the list!
:muah:

Dangles
07-13-2007, 01:49 AM
:chair:

I love it!!!!! Thanks soooo much...lol

* will send to vet to have filled, lol

You're welcome :muah::hug:

suziehomemaker
07-13-2007, 09:00 AM
No worries - I'm just anxious to help out! :muah:

Shandeh
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Update!

Right now, we have 8 knitters, and we need 8 more.

Here's the list (not in order yet)
Shandeh
Ladybug Lady
debinoz
jjminarcik
Renoah
nkyknitter
Foxyie
KKraft

Ellen Edwards
07-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Sandy, since this is going to be smaller, I think I can do this!! :muah: My hands are like Jan's , I guess, but this one has less stitches, and I really want ot be a part of some charity knitting!! So, please--count me in-I'm in VA -- if that makes any difference. Is the shipping for these things very much??:shock:

Shandeh
07-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks Trudy! :muah:

I just need to know if you're allergic to pets or smoking or any kind of yarn fiber. I also need to know if you have pets or if you smoke.

And you need to send me your mailing address.
I can't remember if I have it yet or not.:think:

misha rf
07-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Sandy, can I wait on the ice floe with Snowbear & Suzie??

Please?? Pretty please?? :muah:

Shandeh
07-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Sandy, can I wait on the ice floe with Snowbear & Suzie??
Please?? Pretty please?? :muah:
Sure, Misha! :hug:

Ellen Edwards
07-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey Sandy--I would have sworn I posted here last night, but I'm having trouble on here since the chat room started up for some reason. It's so slow for me, and I apparently lost the post I did last night, too.

I'd like to try this one--I have arthritis in my hands, so the blankets were a bit too much. This sounds just right, and I'd love to be a part of the projects in some way! I'm in VA--so you could send one this way when you get your NC knitters through with their part--if that's the way you do it. Has the shipping been very much??

Anyway--count me in on this one!:hug::hug:

snowbear
07-14-2007, 02:23 PM
*grabs a bigger ice float and helps the 2 other knitters onboard...

Slips her glasses on.. and watches... & waits... *polarbears have lots of patience... snowbear doesn't..

hehehhe

Carrie218
07-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm also new here and would love to get involved...

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey Sandy--I would have sworn I posted here last night, but I'm having trouble on here since the chat room started up for some reason. It's so slow for me, and I apparently lost the post I did last night, too.

Has the shipping been very much??
Yes, your message is on the page before this one. I've added you to the list. Shipping depends on how large the blanket is, and where you have to mail it. I try to arrange everyone so that the shipping is not that far. Sometimes, knitters decide to meet in person, to add a bit of fun to the project. :)

Also, with this blanket, I am arranging knitters in order of their allergies. Those with allergies knit first, then the others do their part. So, it's a bit complicated for me to arrange at first.

I'm also new here and would love to get involved...
I just sent you a PM. :thumbsup:

Right now, we have 14 knitters!

Shandeh
Ladybug Lady
debinoz
jjminarcik
Renoah
nkyknitter
Foxyie
KKraft
Ellen Edwards
gmmarton
PeattieWA
Snowbear
misha rf
suziehomemaker

(I went ahead and unloaded the ice float) :teehee:

losnana
07-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Sandy, add me in unless you get the needed number from new knitters. I don't want to take a spot from someone who hasn't been involved before.

Julie

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Woo Hoo! We have enough knitters to make the lapghan!

That was FAST!!! :happydance:

I'll get to work on putting the knitters in order, and make our blog and map soon.
:thumbsup:

But, right now, I'm gonna take a NAP! :wink:

Ladybug Lady
07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm so excited!!

<Doing a happy ladybug dance and watching Snowbear. One of these days she'll come in off that ice float, and then, BAM, those glasses are gonna fog RIGHT UP! hee hee>

Tobinknit
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I would love to be involved too! I was waiting to see if the ice float was going to sink or not, but since it has been emptied.....is there room for me? Also, I don't want to take away from anyone new joining either. If you have enough knitters, I can be on standby in case something happens along the way. Whatever works out. :hug:

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I would love to be involved too! I was waiting to see if the ice float was going to sink or not, but since it has been emptied.....is there room for me? Also, I don't want to take away from anyone new joining either. If you have enough knitters, I can be on standby in case something happens along the way. Whatever works out. :hug:

I'm thinking of starting another lapghan next week, since it was so well-received, so I'll let you know when it starts, my friend. :hug:

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I still need some information from a few of you, so I can put the names in order.

jjminarcik
Renoah
nkyknitter
Ellen Edwards

Please let me know if you are allergic to pets, smoking, or specific yarn fibers. Also let me know if you smoke or have pets in your home.

Thanks! :wink:

Foxyie
07-15-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm so happy to be working on one of these oddball projects!

i can't wait to start!

snowbear
07-15-2007, 10:50 AM
:happydancing:* jumps up and down sooo glad she gets to help...hehehehehhehe

* has anti fog on her glasses thank you very much.. this bear is w/ it!

Shandeh... thanks sooo beary beary much!

* sighs w/ happiness... and snuggles down to relax in some fresh soft snow!

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Tobinknit, I went ahead and added you in, because you were the only one left out. I figure the person who gets the blanket won't mind if it's 3 inches longer than the "standard guidelines" for a lapghan. :teehee:

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
OK, here's our list of knitters IN ORDER!!! :happydance:

Shandeh - NC (using acrylic yarn)
Ladybug Lady - OH (use acrylic or cotton, please)
debinoz - KS
Renoah - MI
Foxyie - PA
suziehomemaker - NY
gmmarton - CT
Snowbear - MO
PeattieWa - WA
Tobinknit - WA
Carrie218 - CA
jjminarcik - TX
nkyknitter - KY
losnana - VA
Ellen Edwards - VA
KKraft - MD
misha rf - NC
Shandeh - NC

Ladybug Lady and I will have to use acrylic or cotton yarn, because debinoz is allergic to wool.

Tobinknit
07-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Tobinknit, I went ahead and added you in, because you were the only one left out. I figure the person who gets the blanket won't mind if it's 3 inches longer than the "standard guidelines" for a lapghan. :teehee:

Thanks so much. Looking forward to my turn here up in the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of taller people out there so I am sure they won't find a little longer lapghan. :happydance:

suziehomemaker
07-17-2007, 09:06 AM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Thanks Shandeh! I can't wait!

misha rf
07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Woo hoo!!! Thanks, Shandeh!! You rock!! :cheering::happydance::cheering::happydance:

Tobinknit
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much. Looking forward to my turn here up in the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of taller people out there so I am sure they won't find a little longer lapghan. :happydance:

Oops! That was mind not find. :oops:

Ladybug Lady
07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!! I'm soooo excited!! This is going to be so fun!! Thanks again for organizing it all, Shandeh!

Renoah
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Squee! It's coming to me so soon! :cheering::happydance::inlove:

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm excited too!! :happydance:

It's always so fun to get these things started. :wink:

Ladybug Lady
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh drat!! I j ust realized that now I have to find that nifty little cordy thing that takes the pictures off my camera and puts them on the computer!!! Where IS that thing......... :think:

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Did you find your cord yet, Ladybug Lady? Cause you're gonna need it soon.

I just finished the beginning of the Oddball Lapghan, and will be mailing it to you tomorrow. :wink:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/862071416_07737c1a14.jpg

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
I will be including my size 8 Boye Interchangeable needle with the project.

When you knit your part, be sure to watch the needles to make sure they don't come unscrewed. Just tighten them at the beginning of each row, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Be careful with my needle now, because I'll need it back in my set!
:pray:

losnana
07-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh drat!! I j ust realized that now I have to find that nifty little cordy thing that takes the pictures off my camera and puts them on the computer!!! Where IS that thing......... :think:

Ladybug, you sound about as technologically capable as I am. That's exactly what I call my little "cordy thing."

losnana
07-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Did you find your cord yet, Ladybug Lady? Cause you're gonna need it soon.

I just finished the beginning of the Oddball Lapghan, and will be mailing it to you tomorrow. :wink:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/862071416_07737c1a14.jpg
Sandy, that is GORGEOUS! What is the yarn?

jumboneedle
07-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Pick me pick me pick me!

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Sandy, that is GORGEOUS! What is the yarn?
I used a discontinued yarn for the beige section. It's so fluffy and thick! I think it's called Lur Color Carisma. Here's a photo of the yarn I used:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/773928469_6d89c06027_m.jpg

I used Red Heart Plush (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Knitting/Medium+Yarns/Red+Heart+Plush.htm) in Light Sage for the rest of it. It's a cushy yarn too.

This lapghan is gonna have a SOFT border! :heart:

Pick me pick me pick me!
I'll be glad to add you to one of our Oddball projects. Just send me a personal message with your mailing address, and I'll get you started.

Ladybug Lady
07-21-2007, 02:09 AM
WEEEEEE!!!! I'm so excited!!

Nope. No cordy thingy yet. But I think I remembered where it is.

In my laptop case. With my laptop. That's broken. That my brother is fixing. One state away. But I've got a couple weeks, right? hee hee If not, I'll be off to bf's house for a photo shoot!

If I leave bribes for my mail lady, will it get here quicker?!?!?

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 12:01 PM
If I leave bribes for my mail lady, will it get here quicker?!?!?

Hey, if I could drive it there myself, I would! :teehee:

Ladybug Lady
07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm looking at stitch patterns..... how many sts are on the needle right now? And this is worsted weight, right? About how many yards am I looking at?

(Captain! I sense a trip to the yarn store is in your future! *gasp* Hide the credit cards!)

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 06:45 PM
It's 200 stitches
(instead of the 300 that we have on the Blankets)

And yes...we are using WASHABLE WORSTED WEIGHT yarn.

I'm not sure how many yards it will be. I just always use leftovers from yarn in my stash.

suziehomemaker
07-23-2007, 08:58 AM
It's beautiful so far! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

:cheering::happydance::cheering::happydance:

Ladybug Lady
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I think my mail lady is out to get me. For the past three days she's brought me nothing but bills!!!! BILLS and NO KNITTING!!!!

Shandeh
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I bet you'll get it tomorrow!

I mailed it on Tuesday. I was stuck in bed on Saturday and Monday with a bad back.

Here's the confirmation number for the USPS Priority Mail package:
0305 2200 0001 0471 3923

suziehomemaker
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Ladybug Lady - Did it get to you yet? Should we start stalking the mail lady?

Shandeh
07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
She left a voicemail on my phone. She got it today! :cheering:

suziehomemaker
07-31-2007, 08:33 AM
:woot:

Ladybug Lady
08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I got it last week! It's SOOOOOOO soft!!!!!

I was able to start on it this weekend. I'm using a stitch pattern I found on line called Leaves of Grass (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=280). I thought I had the hang of it, but I had to frog row 5 twice before I got it right! I've already noted the pattern by row 5 to "turn off TV, PAY ATTENTION"! lol

Shandeh
08-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Oooo....I like that pattern! :inlove:

Shandeh
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Sadly, two of our Oddball Blankets have been eaten by the post office. :pout:

The first one was sent to the Netherlands, but never made it back. (She was the 2nd knitter, so the blanket had not really grown that much.)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1384/539900320_6a6b1d4d82_m.jpg

The second one lost was our 4th blanket. This one had 5 knitted portions, so it wasn't big yet, but still some time had been invested in it.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1300/538101522_a5887dcbfe_m.jpg

So, I guess we should each mail our packages First Class or Priority Mail, so we can add 65 cents for Delivery Confirmation. That will help a bit with keeping tabs on the blankets. Plus, we will be able to search for them in the postal system that way.

If you use a Priority Mail (http://www.usps.com/all/shippingandmailing/23daypackages.htm) Flat Rate Box, the rates are not that bad.

You can also write "HANDLE WITH CARE" on the package, if you want.

Ladybug Lady
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh, how sad to lose ANY knitting, no matter how big or small!

:verysad:

I agree we should ship with the confirmation options you suggested.

Shandeh
08-04-2007, 12:41 PM
How is the lapghan coming along, Ladybug Lady?

Shandeh
08-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I just started making a blog for our lapghan!
http://oddballcharitylapghan.blogspot.com/

Ladybug Lady
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I've got about 2 inches done so far. I will finish it up this week since we'll be leaving Friday am for vacation, and I want it shipped out by then.

Shandeh
08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll check with debinoz to make sure she'll be ready then!

Ellen Edwards
08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh Sandy--I hate that you used your Boye cable needle--this one may get lost too, and then your set won't be complete anymore. How long is the cable on it? I'll try to find one of equal size at WalMart and send it along with the lapghan when I get it. I know this one will almost be finished then, but at least you'll have another size 8 cable needle to send with the next one!! Maybe some of the rest would do that too--then you'd have enough to send some more off. I don't have any other stores nearby to get them.:wall:But with the PO losing boxesat the rate they are, you can't afford to lose parts of your sets!!:whoosh:

I've got 2 or 3 colors of Chenille yarn and at least one I think will go well on the lapghan--it'll keep in the soft fiber type you've started out with. I probably won't do much of a pattern, because it gets lost in the chenille yarn~

Shandeh
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you, Trudy! :hug:

I'll be okay. I have LOTS of knitting needles in the house to play with. :)

If I lose that one needle, I'll figure out a way to replace it. I've seen some vintage Boye sets on eBay a lot. Some of them have parts missing, so I can mix and match to get a full set again. :wink:

debinoz
08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I have 4 (yes, you read right) sets of 29" 8's. I'd be more than happy to tranfer the lapghan to one of those and return your needles, Sandy.

Shandeh
08-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I have 4 (yes, you read right) sets of 29" 8's. I'd be more than happy to tranfer the lapghan to one of those and return your needles, Sandy.

Well, since you have an abundance, you can do that if you want, my friend. :muah:

We'll just have to remember to get it back to you when the lapghan is complete!

debinoz
08-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Don't worry about them... use them as long as you like. I'm sure you can put them to further use! ;)

Shandeh
08-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Ladybug Lady
08-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Debinoz, get ready! I mailed it to you today on my lunch hour. Enjoy!!

Sorry guys, no picture. :sad: My "cordy thing" is still AWOL.

Shandeh
08-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Bummer! I'm sorry you can't take photos. That's a drag.

Hopefully, we'll get a photo of your knitting from another knitter soon. :wink:

What yarn did you use?

debinoz
08-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Got the lapghan today!! I'd call you Sandy like it says to, but my dd ran off with my cell phone because it has a camera and hers doesn't. I'll take pictures later and post. Thank you Ladybug Lady for the cute little lampshade candle... it smells wonderful!

Shandeh
08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Yay!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e253/kblue500/blissysmile1.gif

debinoz
08-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Here are some pictures of the lapghan after Ladybug Lady did her part. The pics are kind of bright so you might need sunglasses!! She used red heart soft in I think Lavander.

debinoz
08-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Okay... who's next???? I did switch needles, Sandy, and have yours all packaged up and ready to go back to you so I need your address as well. One picture is with flash and one without.

Shandeh
08-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Okay... who's next???? I did switch needles, Sandy, and have yours all packaged up and ready to go back to you so I need your address as well. One picture is with flash and one without.

I'll send you a message with both addresses, as soon as I make sure the next knitter is ready.

That flash on your camera must be the INDUSTRIAL size!

losnana
08-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm ready for whatever, whenever, Sandy.

Shandeh
08-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm ready for whatever, whenever, Sandy.

Hi losnana!
I have you listed further down the list, so I guess I'll have to pass on your offer for now.
But thanks! :)

Renoah is our next knitter, and I'm waiting for her response to my PM.

losnana
08-13-2007, 06:35 AM
That's fine. Just want you to know I can take these projects whenever you need me to.

Shandeh
08-13-2007, 09:56 AM
That's fine. Just want you to know I can take these projects whenever you need me to.
What a WONDERFUL way to be! :hug:

You are a TRUE Oddball Knitter! :)

Renoah
08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
:happydance::happydance::happydance:I am READY!!!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

(I'm a little excited. Can you tell? :aww:)

suziehomemaker
08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I love it! That's exactly how I feel!

Shandeh
08-14-2007, 09:12 PM

:muah: Thank you for being SO READY! :teehee:

debinoz
08-14-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll try to get everything mailed out Thursday.

debinoz
08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I finally got everything mailed today!!!

Shandeh
08-16-2007, 10:54 PM
:cheering:

Shandeh
08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Renoah just called to let me know the blanket has arrived safely!

:cheering: :sun: :cheering:

suziehomemaker
08-20-2007, 08:51 AM
YAY! :woot:

Shandeh
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I finally got everything mailed today!!!

Thanks for mailing my needles back to me! :hug:

debinoz
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
You are very welcome!!

Foxyie
08-26-2007, 12:04 AM
is it my turn yet?! :poke: :)

and if i have some more time to wait.. hows the lapghan going?

Shandeh
08-26-2007, 07:33 AM
:teehee: I'm glad you're ready!

Renoah has only had it a week so far, and I haven't heard from her on the progress yet.

Hang in there, my friend! :hug:

chan58
08-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Sent you a pm.

Shandeh
08-28-2007, 10:24 PM
How are things going with the lapghan, Renoah?

Shandeh
08-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Tomorrow is when your two weeks is up, Renoah.
Is your knitting complete?

Renoah
09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
My section of the knitting is done!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1047/1296148678_444f1e2805.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1165/1296148686_4bb941235e.jpg

You can't really see what I did in the pictures because I couldn't quite spread the stitches out enough. I did three stripes- a row of blocks of color between two tan stripes. Simple, but I enjoyed it. :)

Shandeh
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh, I LOVE the colors! Our lapghan looks so HAPPY now!

earthchick
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Pretty!

[and hey! I recognize those flowers!;)]

Foxyie
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
hiya there!
i got the lapghan in the mail today..it's very pretty in person!
i'm glad it's my turn :happydance:

and thank you much Renoah for including the notebook/journal for me. it's cute!
surely something i would have bought myself.

okay i'm off to count stitches and pick yarn!

Shandeh
09-04-2007, 11:58 PM

suziehomemaker
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
That means I'm next! Sweet! :cheering:

Let me know if you need a PM with my address. I knit every day but I'm only online Mon-Fri. I can't wait!!

:woot:

Shandeh
09-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm glad you're ready! :cheering:

Shandeh
09-14-2007, 03:22 PM
:waving: Hi Foxyie, how are things going with the lapghan?

Foxyie
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
hello. things are going good. have only a few more rows to do and i'll be finished.

i'll have pictures most likely by the end of the week

suziehomemaker
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Sweet!

Foxyie
09-18-2007, 11:42 PM
hi all! i finished with my section today :cheering:

it didn't turn out exactly the way i wanted it too but i'm still happy with it.

and now for the pictures!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/foxyie/100_3881.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/foxyie/100_3884.jpg

some stitch detail although it's pretty hard to see the eyelets. ah well.. on to the next!

Shandeh
09-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Yippee! :cheering:

Thanks so much for posting the photo!

suziehomemaker
09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Foxyie - What type of yarn did you use? It's so funny because I think I have the same color stashed. I was thinking about using some of my Knit Picks Shine Worsted in grass leftovers but I think the two greens might clash. I think I'll wait until it reaches me before I make a final decision on yarn. Nice stitch pattern by the way!

Shandeh - I am ready, willing and knit able for this project!

Shandeh
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
:happydance:

Foxyie
09-19-2007, 07:39 PM
thanks suziehomemaker !

i used red heart soft yarn. i think the color is called leaf.

Foxyie
09-22-2007, 03:33 PM
hey suziehomemaker, i mailed it off today. it soon should be coming your way!

suziehomemaker
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
YAY! Do you have a tracking number?

Sometimes they just throw the box by the front door and don't even ring the doorbell. I work from home so I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

I can't wait to see it!

suziehomemaker
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Update - I got the tracking number and signed up for the email confirmation stuff on USPS. I never used that before but it seems very cool. I'll let everyone know when it reaches me!

suziehomemaker
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Our blanket arrived safely this afternoon. My mail lady left it on top of our mailbox. Very secure package delivery - ugh!

Anyway, thanks so much for the hand dyed yarn and the alpaca. I can't wait to find something perfect to knit them both up into!

Pictures are below!!!

So since I'm in the White Christmas feeling I'm thinking about using my white yarn for this project. It's Caron's Simply Soft and really is super soft. I plan to have everything decided by tonight so I can start knitting!

Shandeh
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Beautiful! :inlove:

I think white would be GORGEOUS in the lapghan!

suziehomemaker
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
My DH helped me pick out a stitch pattern and I got a few rows done last night. My white yarn looks very nice against Foxyie's green yarn. I'm not normally a big fan of working with circular needles but I fell into a nice rhythm last night and I may have to upgrade my set. I have a set of Boye's Interchangables and I never really liked them. I only used them to make a couple hats in the past. Maybe next year I'll ask for an Options set for my birthday.

Anyway, if all goes well I should have my section done by the end of the week. (I watched Prison Break last night and kept getting distracted . . .)

suziehomemaker
09-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I am finished with my section! I'm at my parents house up north so I'm not going to attempt uploading pictures until Monday since they have dial up.

Who's next?

I should be able to mail it out on Monday morning via UPS.

Shandeh
09-29-2007, 06:56 PM
I'll figure out the next knitter, and get right back to ya. :wink:

suziehomemaker
10-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Finished & Finally Mailed! It's leaving NYS and should be in CT by Wednesday.

I just PM'ed the UPS tracking number to Shandeh and gmmorton. I enjoyed working on this project and can't wait to do another one!

Here's a picture of the finished blanket and then a close up of my section. I did the Large Basket stitch from my Vogue Knitting book. I hope it gets there safely!

Shandeh
10-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I love that stitch! :inlove: You did a great job! :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
To be honest, it does pull in on the afghan a bit but the yarn is stretchy so I think it will look perfect once you sew on the border.

My husband fell in love with this stitch and said I should use it, so I did (he isn't normally that enthusiastic). I hope the border won't be too hard to sew on to my section.

losnana
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I love that stitch!!!

Shandeh
10-02-2007, 12:47 AM
I love it too! I'll figure it out - no worries. :wink:

suziehomemaker
10-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I love that stitch!!!

I love it too! It reminds me of the Braided Cable scarf pattern that I knit up a while back. I have a link to the free pattern for that on my blog.

gmmarton
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks, Suzihomemaker (aka Angela) for shipping me the Lapghan. It arrived safe and sound to the Nutmeg State this afternoon. It is home with me now and I examine all the beautiful stitches and colors that have been created thus far. I am thinking of working in yellow, just to pick up some of the hints of yellow that already exist. In any event, thank you for the beautiful gifts...I look forward to writing in the Journal and mailing out this Lapghan by the weekend.

Thanks to all who have worked on this beautiful Lapghan.

Gail M.
CT

gmmarton
10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Woops, sorry about the typos and misspelling of Suziehomemaker's identity...I just got in from school, and I haven't meditated yet!

suziehomemaker
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
You are welcome! I'm so glad that it made it there safely!

gmmarton
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, I was so excited to receive it yesterday that I already put about an inch on it last night. I'm using the Moss Stitch in a yellow worsted weight acrylic, and it looks really great against your white.

Foxyie
10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
very nice! can't wait to see the next section!

Shandeh
10-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Wonderful news! :happydance:

gmmarton
10-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Good morning,

Just wanted you to know that I've already done two inches...what fun!

My family is coming in from Florida at mid-week, and I'd like them to see this work of art, so I won't be mailing out the finished product until Friday. Hopefully I'll post an updated photo

Until then...

Gail
CT

gmmarton
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Good morning,

I have finished my section of the Oddball Lapghan and will be mailing it out shortly. I took a picture this morning, but don't have a URL for posting. Copy and paste doesn't seem to work, but I'll print out an image and send it along with the Lapghan for the remaining knitters.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate with this project.

Gail M.
CT

gmmarton
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm hoping the attachment comes out...

suziehomemaker
10-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Very nice!

Shandeh
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Our lapghan is growing quickly! Great job, gmmarton! :happydance:

Debkcs
10-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Wow! That's really beautiful! Can't wait to actually see it and work on it.

losnana
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
How pretty!!

Tobinknit
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm only 3 people away and it's my turn! Am so excited. The lapghan is beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person. It is so nice to watch its progress and journey across the country.

Shandeh
10-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Well, now I'm worried.

Snowbear was supposed to be our next knitter, but she never responded to my message. :pout: Have any of you heard from her lately? :pray:

Since she didn't respond, I am moving on to the knitter after her to work on the lapghan. I'm waiting for a response from PeattieWa now.

Tobinknit
10-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I know PeattieWA was excited about doing it since we emailed back and forth a few times when the lapghan first started. We were hoping to maybe get together in person to trade the blanket from her to me but we are far enough away from each other where it would be easier for her to mail it. Maybe she will see the post on here. I know I don't get that many messages so forget to look if I have a message or not a lot of times. I will try to be conscious about checking that every time I get on. Don't know anything about Snowbear though.

Shandeh
10-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi Tobinknit! I did hear from PeattieWa, and she has a busy schedule right now, so we are going to let you knit before her. That should make all our lives better! :thumbsup:

Tobinknit
10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
OK. That sounds great! Do you have my address on file? If not, PM me and I will forward it right away. Can't wait to receive it and get working on it.

Tobinknit
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
YEAH! The blanket is now safe and sound in Bellingham, Washington. I received it in the mail today. Thanks so much GMMARTON for all of the extra goodies as well. Excuse the shadows in the picture.....they are from all of the wood dividers in the windows in the sunroom. Hopefully I will get a good start on it this weekend. I am excited to work on this project.

http://www.deadzoom.com/users/rgmcconn1948/oddball_lapghan1.jpg

Shandeh
10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for letting us know, and thanks for the photo!

Tobinknit
10-28-2007, 04:59 AM
I'm done.......ready for the next knitter on the list. I did a rose color to try and tie in the pink at the bottom of the lapghan. It is not the same pink color so I hope it looks OK. It looked brighter in the store. I did two rows of garter stitch, double seed stitch, and finished with two rows of garter stitch since we are supposed to end with a knit row. I enjoyed working on this project and hope the recipient enjoys the lapghan as much as the KH knitters have working on it.

http://www.deadzoom.com/users/rgmcconn1948/oddball_1_lapghan2.jpg

Shandeh
10-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Yay! :cheering:
That was some FAST knitting! :thumbsup:
I'll check with the next knitter right now. :)

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
PeattieWA still has some concerns about working on the lapghan right now, because she will be travelling to Texas in just two weeks.
So, I've asked her to move to a different blanket. I'll probably swap her with someone on one of the other blankets. :wink:
So, now I'm checking with Carrie218 to see if she's available.
Thanks for your patience, Tobinknit! :hug:

Foxyie
10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
it is coming along nicely!

- Shandeh, if you have any other problems with people not being able to work on this lapghan at this time, i will gladly work on it some more!

Tobinknit
10-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Same here. I have the blanket so I could do another section of the blanket in a different color. I have only used a couple of days of my time and would be able to get it done by the end of next weekend which would be less than two weeks.

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Thank you both! I have some pinch knitters that are REALLY wanting to participate on a blanket, so I'd better stick with the original plan for now. I'm hoping that Carrie218 is available.

Shandeh
10-30-2007, 03:47 AM
As it turns out, PeattieWA has asked to stay on schedule and work on the blanket now. So, everything is back to normal!

Tobinknit
10-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Just to let everyone know that the lapghan gets to enjoy the Pacific Northwest for awhile longer. I mailed it to PeattieWA today so she should get it tomorrow or the next day. We only live about 58 miles apart so we will see how quick the USPS is......sent it priority too.

PeattieWa
11-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Just wanted everyone to know that I received the lapghan on Wed. from Tobinknit. What a beautiful piece of handiwork. I got started on my section today and hope to have it sent out by next week. Becky

Shandeh
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Wonderful, PeattieWA! :happydance:
We have an update on our list of knitters for the lapghan. Two of our knitters had to step out of the project, so I've brought one of our other oddball knitters over to join us!
Say welcome to Secksiebrat! :hug:
Here's our updated list of knitters for Oddball Lapghan #1
Shandeh - done
Ladybug Lady - done
debinoz - done
Renoah - done
Foxyie - done
suziehomemaker - done
gmmarton - done
Tobinknit - done
PeattieWa - has the lapghan now
jjminarcik
Secksiebrat
nkyknitter
losnana
Ellen Edwards
KKraft
misha rf

Secksiebrat
11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
:thumbsup:

Hiya! I'm glad to be part of this oddball lapghan. I can't wait till it reaches me, which shouldn't be too much longer. Maybe around Thanksgiving!

~danielle~

PeattieWa
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
The lapghan is officially on it's way to Texas. I sent it this morning "Priority Mail" with a tracking # attched. jjminarcik be on the lookout, but with the holiday Monday the Post office said it should arrive by Tuesday. Unfortunately I do not have the technology to send a picture, but I continued with a variegated yarn in rose, grey and beige. I had a great time working on this and look forward to helping in the future. Becky

Shandeh
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks Becky!

You can disregard the message I just sent you. I didn't read this note until just now.
Thanks for your work on the lapghan! :muah:

jjminarcik
11-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Yea! I can't wait to start working on the blanket!! Thanks for sending it my way PeattieWA!

Shandeh
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Did the blanket arrive in Texas yet? :pray:

jjminarcik
11-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Not yet, but I'm hoping it will come today. No mail yesterday, remember? But don't worry, I'm stalking the mailman today! :teehee:

jjminarcik
11-14-2007, 12:56 PM
:woohoo::woohoo:

I got the lapghan!!! I'm so excited! It looks great! And I got some special treats from PeattieWa - some yarn, needles, and an awesome candle! Thank you so much! :hug:

I think I've picked a stitch pattern, I'll be starting on it tonight! :woot::woot:

Shandeh
11-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Yay! :yay:

Secksiebrat
11-18-2007, 02:31 AM
I see that I'm in next in line for the lapghan. I'm ready when it's time to send it my way!

~danielle~

Shandeh
11-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I see that I'm in next in line for the lapghan. I'm ready when it's time to send it my way!
Thanks for being ready, Danielle!

jjminarcik has asked for a little extra time, since it's a holiday week, so we'll let you know when it's on the way to you! :hug:

Secksiebrat
11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Sounds good. Lane started throwing up last night (he's got a strong gag reflex and when the phlegm sits in his chest, he throws it up) and then wakes up from his nap with a fever. I guess I'm going to try to get him into the doctors in the morning! Ahhhh it always happens that way :)

~danielle~

Shandeh
11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Poor Lane! I hope he gets better! :pout:

jjminarcik
12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I've finally finished my part of the lapghan! :cheering::cheering: It looks really good, I can't wait to see it completed!

Secksiebrat - I'm mailing it to you tomorrow, I'll PM you with the confirmation information stuff. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Yay! :happydance:

jjminarcik
12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I mailed the lapghan to Secksiebrat today! I PM'd her with the delivery confirmation infomation.

Happy Knitting!!

Shandeh
12-05-2007, 03:41 AM
Woo Hoo! Thanks! :hug:

Secksiebrat
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
:happydance:

I figure it'll be here tomorrow! I'll be watching out for it (We need a stalking the mail man smilie).

Thanks!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I received the lapghan today! Everything looks great and I wanted to thank jjminarcik for the extra goodies. She included 3 skeins of yarn, candle, hand lotion and shampoo and conditioner. It was very thoughtful. I hope to get working on the blanket tomorrow. We had a christmas parade tonight :)

~danielle~

Shandeh
12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Yippee! :cheering:
Thanks for calling me to let me know you got the lapghan! It was nice to hear your voice. :)

jjminarcik
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering:
Glad it arrived safely and that you liked the goodies!

Secksiebrat
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I've started work on my part of the oddball lapghan. I've chosen a burgandy/cranberry color. It's caron simply soft, the same yarn I used for my VT squares I donated.

I've gotten about an inch done and somehow the inside of my ball fell out and I have/had a HUGE amount of yarn barf. I spent 3 hours working on cleaning up the mess and even my hubby took a turn. I just have a little bit to wade through. I had to put the blanket down last night though, I was becoming frustrated and I didn't want to do that knowing i was knitting for charity.

So I'll pick it back up again today and hopefully get the yarn straigthened around (it's in time out!) and life will be peachy again!

~danielle!

Just wanted to leave an update. I'm hoping to have it finished and out by the end of the week.

suziehomemaker
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Yarn vomit is the worst! I feel your pain. I had it happen for almost every skein that I used for a sweater for my father-in-law.
I should just wind them all into balls but I would rather just use the skeins and not have the yarn vomit at all!

Shandeh
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Hang in there, Danielle! :hug:

When you sit down to knit, have a talk with that yarn first.
:fingerwag: "Now yarn, you'd better behave this time!" :tap:
:teehee:

Secksiebrat
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Hahaha I did that. Just like I do when Lane goes into time out and when he comes out we talk about what he did and why he got into trouble and that he shouldn't do that again?! Isn't that horrible.

"now yarn, you were in time out b/c you get yourself all knotted up and you made me frustrated and say things I shouldn't say". "Now you can come out but there will be no more of this bad behavior and if you can't behave you can just sit there a little bit longer". :teehee:

Ahh. Ya know, I wasn't like this before I had a child. I guess I need to blame it on him.

~danielle~

I hope I provided lots of great laughs for the evening! :mrgreen:

Shandeh
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I love it! :)

Secksiebrat
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I've got about 4 rows left to knit. I'll be ready to mail it out tomorrow if the next person is ready. That should help it beat the holiday rush :) Let me know who get's it next. I'll take pictures before I box it up and post them tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for allowing me to work on this beautiful lapghan!

~danielle~

Shandeh
12-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I'll check with the next knitter, and let you know! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
I haven't heard back from the next knitter yet, so I sent her an offsite email. I'll keep you updated! :thumbsup:

Secksiebrat, could you possibly post a photo of the lapghan? We haven't had one in a LONG time!

Secksiebrat
12-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Yep. I'll get one up when Lane goes for a nap! He was in the ER yesterday. He's got middle ear infections so he's not cooperative today :)

~danielle~

Shandeh
12-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Thanks Danielle! :wink:

Secksiebrat
12-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok the lapghan is in a box, I'm just waiting for the next person's address and it'll be on it's way. Here are the pictures I promised!

I used Caron Simply Soft in a cranberry/burgandy color. It's some of my stash yarn. I bought it and knitted squares for VaTech early this year.

~danielle~

Shandeh
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the photos! :hug:

PeattieWa
12-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for showing the pics of the lapghan! It was fun working on it and nice to see how my section looks with all the others! Peattie Wa.

Shandeh
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Any sign of the lapghan yet, nkyknitter?

Secksiebrat
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I've still got the Lapghan. I didn't get an address to send it to! Did I miss it Sandy? If I did I'm SOO sorry. Send it again and I'll get it asap!

~danielle~

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Oops! I'll check on it right now, my friend. :hug:

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Silly me. I never heard back from nkyknitter.

I'll see what I can work out on the next knitter. :thumbsup:

Secksiebrat
12-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Hehe no problem. I was just worried I missed the message with the address. It's safe and sound, boxed up. No worries :)

~danielle~

Secksiebrat
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Any news as to where I need to send this one off to? I hate to think it's just stalling at my house. I could always knit another section once I finished the oddball blanket! LOL

Just let me know!

~danielle~

PS It's getting lots of love here, so no worries :)

Shandeh
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
You can mail it to me, and I'll cover for the next knitter. (She never responded to my messages.)

Thanks! :muah:

Gertie
01-03-2008, 02:29 AM
I can take it. You should have my address.

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I can take it. You should have my address.
Gertie, I'll be using you on a different project. Thanks for offering, though! :hug:

Secksiebrat
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok it's on it's way to your house shandeh. I sent you a PM with the tracking number.

~danielle~

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks Danielle! :hug:

Shandeh
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I received the lapghan today! :woohoo:

I just love it. It's GORGEOUS! :inlove:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/2176312002_6c0121aa17.jpg

Secksiebrat
01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Glad you got it ok. Enjoy!

~danielle~

Foxyie
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
i haven't visited this for a while and i can see the lapghan is shaping up nicely!

i can't tell how close it is to being done in that picture but sandy once again i will gladly take on this project for another round if you need! :)

Shandeh
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Thank you, Foxyie! :hug:
I'm just about to start another lapghan right now! I'll let you know if I need your help. I like to let new knitters have a go first, then I fill in the remaining slots with those who have worked on blankets before.

Now, if you're looking for a QUICK project to work on, I can add you to the Oddball BABY Blanket project. Those have 100 stitches per row, so they go quickly. Right now, we have 8 baby blankets going, with 30 knitters involved in the project. :)

Foxyie
01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
sure, wherever you need me!

Shandeh
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Our lapghan is taking a detour right now, visiting with Jeremy in Connecticut. He is enjoying working on it for a while, and will send it to the next knitter very soon. :hug:

Shandeh
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Our lapghan is on the way to losnana in Virginia! :cheering:

losnana
03-04-2008, 12:30 AM
It arrived today, and is just beautiful. I'll try to remember to post a pix tomorrow, but right now I have to get to bed.

Shandeh
03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Yay! I'm so glad it got there safely! :)

If you don't mind, please lay the blanket out and measure it. I need to know if it's getting long enough yet. There is only one knitter left after you, before it comes back to me. If necessary, I can add another knitter or two. I have some pinch knitters ready. :wink:

losnana
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I hope that this going to have the latest picture of the lapghan. I'm going to use an off-white Caron Simply Soft, but haven't quite decided on my stitch yet.

PeattieWa
04-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi there ! I was just wondering what was happening with lapghan #1??
I haven't seen anything posted in a while and would really like to see an updated picture if possble. Thanks! Becky

Shandeh
04-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi Peattie! :waving:

Losnana just posted our latest photo a month ago. Right now, the lapghan is with misha rf in North Carolina. We are planning on getting together so I can get the lapghan back! :)

I'm sure I'll have lots of photos of the lapghan when that happens! :woohoo:

Shandeh
04-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Today, I received our Lapghan! :woohoo:

Misha rf was the last knitter, and she sent it to me in the mail. (We never could work out a day to get together.)

So, here it is!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2440793137_0fbbc089a0.jpg

I think it's almost ready. There are a couple sections that are too tight, pulling in on the blanket. I'll have to do surgery on them, and then add a few more inches, then maybe a border.

Then, it will be ready to go to charity! :cheering:

Misha was VERY nice to me.....she gave me two skeins of Malabrigo, in a gorgeous color! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2441622102_38fe9dfdb1.jpg

misha rf
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
You're quite welcome, Sandy! Glad you liked the yarn! I'd meant to tell you that you can snag the photos from my flickr account or my rav projects page. I've been sooooo easily distracted these days, it's a wonder I get anything done!

Shandeh
09-12-2008, 03:45 AM
I just added our lapghan to my projects in Ravelry.
Check it out if you're a member!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Shandeh/oddball-blankets-lapghans--shawls-7

Shandeh
09-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! :woohoo:
Contact your local newspapers!!!!

Our Oddball Lapghan has found a home!!
(In fact, I think I'll take BOTH lapghans to this place.)

I heard back from the Battered Women's Shelter in my area, and they are VERY happy to accept our blankets! :)

Here's the email I received today:

Dear Sandy,

I received this email from our Chief Operating Officer, Sharon Thacker. WOW! What an honor that you would consider us for your beautiful hand knit blanket!

I can only imagine how much time and work went into the blanket! I coordinate our Rape Crisis center and our Tree House Children's Advocacy Center in Union County to assist child and adult victims of violence.

At our Tree House, children (ages 0-18) come to a child/teen friendly place where they have a forensic interview and a "head to toe" exam. They are then able to receive counseling/play therapy at no cost to the family. During the medical exam, children pick out a blanket or quilt to either cover up with or snuggle with as a comfort. They then get to keep the blanket.

I would be thrilled for you to see the place! We also serve victims at the hospital when they go through the rape kit process. The blanket would be a special way for our survivors to begin their healing!

Thank you so much for thinking about us and for the beautiful handcrafted work that you and others are creating to give to someone going through a very tragic time. It's people like you Sandy, that make the world a better place! I look forward to hearing from you!

Gratefully,

Brandy K. Redmile Stephens, MA, LPC
Coordinator/Counselor
The Tree House Children's Advocacy Center/Rape Crisis
Center
United Family Services, Inc.
www.unitedfamilyservices.org (http://www.unitedfamilyservices.org/)

Mulderknitter
09-27-2008, 08:16 PM
What a wonderful ending to the blanket! Are you going to be able to see the place when you drop off the blanket, or are you mailing it?

Shandeh
09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I am definitely GOING there!! I'm really looking forward to talking to Brandy, and finding out what their needs are for knitted and crocheted items. I'll probably come back to the forum with a list of projects for us! :teehee:

I've asked permission to take a photo of the lapghans being presented, so I can share it with you all.
:heart: :muah: :heart:

Shandeh
03-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Since I finished the knitting on Lapghan #2, I decided to get to work on our lapghan as well. :)

As I mentioned before, there were two sections that were pulling in and puckering our lapghan. They were cabled sections that were just a bit too tight. So, I made an executive decision to remove those parts. It was not easy, but I did it!

The cool thing is that I learned HOW to do it. I've never removed part of knitting before, so I had no idea how to do it. But, I decided to just dive in. I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut through the middle of the part I was removing. Then, I sat in my rocking chair and pulled out all the yarn from the bottom section until I got to the part I wanted to keep. Then, I put that part back on knitting needles. Next, I did the same to the top section, then did a 3 needle bind off to connect it back with the bottom section. It turned out just fine! :)

Here's the connected section, after my 3 needle bind off:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/3393054160_f91aef82a0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/3393054160/)

Here's the back of that section, showing the 3 needle bind off. I used light blue yarn to connect them. You can't even see the blue yarn on the front of the blanket.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3393053468_e557615091.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/3393053468/)

So, now I'm working on the second section that needs to be removed. I've decided to mail the bottom half of our lapghan to the person who originally knit the cabled section. She is excited about getting a second chance to work on the lapghan! :D

Here's our lapghan, now in two parts. I've placed the bottom of the top half on a long stitch holder. Now, when I get the bottom half of our lapghan back from the other knitter, I'll do a 3 needle bind off to reconnect them. ;) It's nice to know how to do that now. :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3392241739_7ebf6d5bb8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/3392241739/)

While the bottom half is with the other knitter, I'll keep knitting on the top half. Right now, I'm adding a green section with Caron Simply Soft in a simple basketweave design.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/3392243731_5a94823571.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/3392243731/)

gmmarton
03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Sandy,

You continue to amaze me! Great work!
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Shandeh
03-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks Gail! :)

I'll be glad when all our blankets and lapghans can be donated to charity. THAT will make me the happiest girl in the world! :cheering:

Shandeh
05-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I am SO pleased with the new knitting by suziehomemaker. She re-knit her section, and it looks beautiful. :inlove:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3496783491_eee58d1892.jpg

And I've been plugging away at adding more knitting to the top section.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3497602940_513a2b1267.jpg

I've knit 4 sections:
The green basketweave was knit with Caron Simply Soft.

The next section was knit with 8 different yarns. Those yarns were just tiny balls of leftover yarn in a basket by my knitting chair. I just knit two rows of each color.

The section after that is all stockinette, using Red Heart Kids yarn. I just love how soft and comfy that yarn is! :)

Now, I'm finishing up a white section using I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. So soft and squishable. I'm doing a design called "Tile Stitch" with that yarn.

When I finish the white section, I'll measure the lapghan, and decide if it's long enough yet.

Then, all I'll have to do is reunite the two sections. I feel like I'm preparing for a little wedding! :teehee:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3496785059_6001c76e1e.jpg

sgtpam
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Sandy, what is the "Tile Stitch? It sort of looks like a variation of a basketweave:??

Shandeh
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Sandy, what is the "Tile Stitch? It sort of looks like a variation of a basketweave:??
I can't remember where I found that design, but here it is:

Cast on multiple of 5 stitches
Tile Stitch
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: *P4, K1* (repeat between asterisks to end of row)
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: *P4, K1* (repeat between asterisks to end of row)
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: *P4, K1* (repeat between asterisks to end of row)
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Knit

Repeat those 8 rows for pattern

Shandeh
06-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Yay! I'm finally finishing up our lapghan! :woohoo:

Early this morning, I couldn't sleep, so I used kitchener stitch to re-connect the two parts of our lapghan back together. (I had finished all the knitting and weaving in ends a couple days ago.)

Using kitchener stitch makes a MUCH nicer connection than the 3-needle bind-off did for my earlier connection. I learned SO MUCH with this lapghan! My knitting skills are growing every day. :)

Here's a photo of our lapghan in the midst of my kitchener stitching.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3643794990_080f64112c.jpg

I finished it up about an hour ago. When the sun comes out, I'll take a photo of the whole lapghan outside!

All that's left now is to add a crochet border. :cheering:

Shandeh
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Yay! I am finished with all the knitting!
I've finished weaving in all the ends!
And I've reconnected the two parts back together again!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Behold our beautiful lapghan:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3645426378_d742a6144b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3644620221_5948bfc626.jpg

I updated our blog as well. :)
http://oddballcharitylapghan.blogspot.com/

Shandeh
07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I cannot believe it.
OUR LAPGHAN IS FINISHED!!!!! :thud:

After two years of work by 15 amazing knitters, our blanket is really COMPLETE! :woohoo:

I did the crochet border last week, and grabbed my hubby to take a photo in our driveway. YAY!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3695116175_b9c4d78209.jpg

stitchabit
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Very pretty. I like all of the different styles and colors. :yay: :yay:

Shandeh
07-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Today, I scanned all the pages of our journal that travelled with the blanket. I also scanned the journal for Lapghan #2.

You can read both journals here!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/sets/72157621251704187/

gmmarton
07-13-2009, 06:33 AM
How very clever...I love it!

Shandeh
07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks Gail!
I removed last names and email addresses from public view.
Let me know if you see anything else I should change.

Take care! :hug:

Shandeh
07-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I delivered our blanket today! :)
You can read about it here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1240944#post1240944