PDA

View Full Version : Which book is best?

Stonington
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Good Morning all!
I am looking through the Knit Picks books for one about knitting socks on 2 circulars. Which would you recommend?

The Magic Loop by Bev Galeskas with Sarah Hauschka or

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi

or maybe you have another favorite?

Thanks!

anne :hug:

</H1>

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 10:08 AM
In my opinion, both methods can be learned for free from info that is found on the net. The book I've liked the best lately is Victorian Lace Today. Really beautiful photography, nice history lesson about lace knitting and some very nice shawls. Have a look in Wendy Knits at the Alpine lace shawl which is from there.

PS. Knitpicks does have E Z books on sale if you are still looking for the Stonington Shawl.

rebecca
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I very much agree with Jeremy on both points!!! You can find the info on both methods of socknitting online free of charge and oh my, Victorian Knits Today is stunning...I strive to knit lace as is done in this book...AND the cool thing about it, I heard the writer of the book say in a podcast that they are not even as hard as they look! Even so, I'm starting with a small project.....a wonderful addition to your knitting library!!

Braden
07-11-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree with Jeremy, you can find tutorials on 2 circular socks and magic loop socks for free online. In my opinion, the best book you can buy would be The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee. If you want to design your own sweaters without a pattern, go for that book. One of the earlier books I got was Alice Starmore's Fisherman's Sweaters.

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree with Jeremy, you can find tutorials on 2 circular socks and magic loop socks for free online. In my opinion, the best book you can buy would be The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee. If you want to design your own sweaters without a pattern, go for that book. One of the earlier books I got was Alice Starmore's Fisherman's Sweaters.
I remembered you mentioning that in other posts, I ordered in in the Knitpicks sale.:thumbsup:

Braden
07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
You won't be sorry! Stonington--the shawl pattern is in Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop. I have the book and it's a fairly easy pattern if you still want it.

Stonington
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
In my opinion, both methods can be learned for free from info that is found on the net. The book I've liked the best lately is Victorian Lace Today. Really beautiful photography, nice history lesson about lace knitting and some very nice shawls. Have a look in Wendy Knits at the Alpine lace shawl which is from there.

PS. Knitpicks does have E Z books on sale if you are still looking for the Stonington Shawl.

Jeremy-thanks! I got in touch with School House Press and they sent me the pattern. Such nice folks! Wonderful customer service! :cheering: I will order from them again. :heart:

anne

Stonington
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I very much agree with Jeremy on both points!!! You can find the info on both methods of socknitting online free of charge and oh my, Victorian Knits Today is stunning...I strive to knit lace as is done in this book...AND the cool thing about it, I heard the writer of the book say in a podcast that they are not even as hard as they look! Even so, I'm starting with a small project.....a wonderful addition to your knitting library!!

Thanks Rebecca--- I have looked at the sites with free instruction, but there is something about having a book to refer to especially when away from the computer. I am such a visual person. :flirt:

anne

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Anne - Don't forget Amy has a video on the magic loop method.

Braden
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
And on the 2-circular method.

Stonington
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Anne - Don't forget Amy has a video on the magic loop method.

And on the 2-circular method.

I just watched it and think I have the method down (Amy does a great job showing how it is done! :heart:) but my stumbling point would be the heal/gusset. :knitting:I really need to "see" this being done. :flirt: If you know what I mean.

anne

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I have to say that neither book does all that great a job at demonstrating that. I figured it out myself for both methods and it wasn't all that hard.

Braden
07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Since I knit toe-up socks, that really isn't an issue for me, but I looked through the Socks Soar book that a friend had and it didn't do a good job at all of showing that. There are tutorials online that show it greatly.

Jan in CA
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I just saw these, but I haven't bought them. :think: Just thought I'd share. :shrug:

http://www.software4knitting.com/pbooks/estns.htm
http://www.knittingsoftware.com/sockwizardpc.htm