PDA

View Full Version : How common is couple's knitting?

MerigoldinWA
07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I have noticed BostonBecca's boyfriend has started not only knitting, but a knitting blog. And also saw where Gamerchick said she taught her husband to knit. My husband of 40 years let me teach him to knit last fall on our anniversary. He became quickly addicted and knit about 20 hats, one right after the other, all his own designs, just experimenting and learning. He is on to other projects now but is still interested and will no doubt take it up again when it gets cold.

:??I was wondering how many other people have spouses or boyfriend/girlfriends who knit? In other words is this couple's knitting common, or rare? If your DH/DW or DBF/DGF doesn't knit, do you think you would like them to? How does couple's knitting work? Do you fight over needles? Enjoy SEX together? (Couldn't resist this abbreviation, if you don't know it please check the frequently used abbreviations. :roflhard: It's not all that private.)

Looking forward to hearing from you all. :grphug:

Jax3303
07-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I taught DH to knit about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. He likes it, but is nowhere as addicted as I am, and he also dosen't understand my fiber addiction, but he does scowl when he touches crap yarns in stored :) He's knit a full sized afghan (there's a thread with pics of it floating somewhere around here) , some pillows, hats, & gloves.

Chel
07-11-2007, 03:40 PM
The guy I used to date thinks of it as "Womans work" which is how I like it. LOL

tropicallie
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Several years ago I taught my DH to sew and he then taught himself to quilt. I taught him to use one of those round loom knitters and he made himself a hat last year but hasn't really expressed much interest in learning to crochet, hand or machine knit. I, on the other hand, have no desire to learn his hobbies which include fishing, gunsmithing, fishing, woodworking, fishing and fishing. Oh, and judging by the expanding sizes and number of toolboxes, random tool collecting. And fishing.

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
My wife knits but I knit a lot more.

Lady Violet
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
My wife knits but I knit a lot more.

:chair:

that's kind of like my stash is bigger than your stash. :teehee:

gamerchik
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
MerigoldinWA: Wow...your DH designs his own stuff??? I don't even know how to do that, except for on simple scarves! :lol: I'm impressed!

Jax3303: I literally laughed out loud when you said your DH scowls when he touches crap yarns. That...is...awesome! :cheering:

Jeremy: You rock. :happydancing:

I have to say that my DH wasn't too weirded out about learning to knit, and he did get even more comfortable about knitting when I showed him all the guys on here and some of the pics of the FO's/WIP's done by guys. He's a creative person and he likes to make things with his hands, so the possibility of making a cool hat, scarf or blanket (doing it himself, and making something that he WANTS and that is useful) really appeals to him.

This Sunday after around 4pm, the Discovery Channel is running all shows that have to do with ancient Egypt. We love that kind of thing, so we've already made plans to just sit down at 4pm and knit all night while we listen/watch the shows. :cheering: I love being able to share this hobby with him. I hope he gets more addicted as he gets going. :)

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I've taught both of my children how to finger-weave, and will be teaching them to knit later this fall/winter when we're looking for indoor activities. :wink:

debinoz
07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
DH and I have a deal.... he don't knit and I don't drink. What he spends on beer in a month, I get to spend on yarn. Funny how his drinking slowed waaaayyy down after that!

willowangel
07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I taught my bloke to knit, he enjoys it but still gives me 'looks' when I spend too much on yarn, although the other day he was a total sweetheart and, while I was drooling over pretty yarns for a top I want to make, went 'I need £50, cry', at which point he came over, kicked me off the puter and transferred the money into my account despite my protests. He's adorable, but I'm still not sure if I'll ever get the scarf he's been knitting for me for 6 months ;-)

BostonBecca
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
You women tell your boyfriends how much you spend on yarn? Until I see a wedding ring on my finger I just don't think it is any of his business as my finances are my finances!

I think it is normal/appropriate to at least learn about your sig other's hobbies. I did stress to M that knitting was originally a guys' thing and I think we are both pretty progressive in thinking that there aren't really activities that are only for one gender.

gamerchik
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
My DH and I follow a simple principle: as long as we can afford it, I can get whatever I want, and he can get whatever he wants. If I want to spend a bunch of $$$ on yarn or needles or whatever and we've got the cash, I do. If we don't have the cash, I'll skip it (we're not rich or anything like that). It works out perfectly. I didn't buy myself anything leading up to his birthday and we were able to get him an expensive video camera, which he has been wanting FOREVER (he likes to make short films and stuff...youtuber). We never fight about money. I :heart: that about us. :)

MerigoldinWA
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Gamerchick,

When I first taught DH the knit and purl stitches and he had made a few little swatches I told him he was ready to make something, what did he want to make? And he said a hat. So then I said okay, "You need to learn how to rib and you'll need to learn to work on a circular needle, but that's not hard." So I just taught him the basics of how to make a hat. No gauge swatches or anything, just cast on 84 stitches and make a hat. When he got to the top I showed him how to do the decreases. He is not interested in learning to follow a pattern.

Here is my Photobucket (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/) site that has pictures of his hats. The first ones will be the the last ones he made. The first one he made is the second from the end. There are 4 pages of hats, multiple views of some of them. Click on "Things Hubby Made" if you'd like to look. I taught him corrugated ribbing because I thought he would like it, he did. He learned a lot of things; every hat would give him an idea for another. He is very artistic and has made things with his hands all his life. Some things he has made are cabins, a boat, sandals, quilts, and some of the best Vacation Bible decorations in the country. :woot: I'm pretty proud of him.

Riss
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh my... you are some very lucky women. I was telling my DBF the other day about a scarf swap I had just joined. He told me I have too many old lady hobbies (knitting and crochet). When I was crocheting my giant ripple, I'd catch him watching me. I'd slow down, explain the act of a dc to him, and then offer to teach him. It was like he turned green at the idea! I can't even imagine suggesting to him that I teach him to knit. Maybe one day in the future. He is really good about bringing me to AC Moore to get yarn though :X

debinoz
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Marigold:

What a talented husband you have!! His hats are fabulous. I really love his use of color and structure. Greaat job!!

DQ
07-12-2007, 05:24 AM
My DH refuses to let me teach him! But he is very supportive of me doing it so I'm not complaining :heart:

gamerchik
07-12-2007, 06:16 AM
MerigoldinWA: Your husband's hats are A-MA-ZING! I am SO impressed! He's way beyond my skill level, lol...I'm just a beginner and I don't yet understand how to do Fair Isle or Intarsia. And hey...YOUR stuff is incredible also!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I bookmarked your photobucket so I can show my DH all of the amazing projects. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Riss: If you stay together, I bet that you will one day teach him how to knit. Just remember that I said so when he finally breaks down! It might take two weeks or ten years, but I bet he comes around. You never know, right??? :lol:

pandaca
07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Becca Ė It got to the point where I didnít even want to tell my DH what I was spending on yarn! Thatís when we gave ourselves monthly hobby budgets. J

Merigold Ė Those hats are fabulous!

I love that some of you knit with your SOs. DH would never be interested in knitting. But then, I guess Iíd never be interested in fixing his truck or building a computer, so thatís fair.

feministmama
07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Suggestion: When a male SO says something about knitting as an "old lady" thing say this as a response, "what's wrong with old ladies?" I happen to be proud of my grandmother and and I don't like people dispariging her simply becasue she's a woman over a certain age. Or saying that knitting is "women's work" say "what's wrong with women's work? It's women that put you on this palnet ya know!"

msoebel
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
My dh is still of the mistaken belief that knitting is something old women do. He believes that, at 29 years old, I am "eccentric" and that this is just another of my "quirky" habits that he can love about me.

I know, because he told me so.:rollseyes:

I offered to teach him to knit, but got the same response I got when I offered to teach him to paint. I think I'll stop trying to make my straightlaced, conservative hubby anything but himself...God knows he doesn't try to make his artsy fartsy "quirky" wife anything but what she is!

Misty

Jax3303
07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
When I first started knitting, DH said something about it being something only old people do.....well, I was 22 and 9 mos pregnant at the time, so I look at him with a big WTF expression and said "what the hell is OLD about being 22? Are you calling me OLD? Are you trying to tell me I LOOK old? Are you trying to piss off your pregnant wife?" hormonal rages can be funny when you look back on it....LOL! I sat on the couch after this and started crying a little bit. DH looked at me, and said "i'll be right back" and he grabbed his coat and got in the car. 10 minutes later he was back with some chocolate ice cream and hot french fries (what I had been craving all that day).

ready2knit
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Our couples knitting runs this way in our home: He earns it and I spend it! I must say my DH loves the fact that I knit. My spending has decreased a great deal since I've begun to knit.

I don't have a knitting stash. I buy yarn for what I'm knitting, that's it. So, when I spend over $100.00 on yarn for a sweater, it's a bargain. There are few things you can spend that little money on and get weeks or months of enjoyment from.

So, yes we have our own style of "couples' knitting."

Jana

mari_13
07-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Ha - I wish! My DH refuses to learn how to knit! I actually ask him every couple of months and he says never. Thankfully he is very supportive, doesn't yell when I come home with new yarn or books. He's actually kind of proud that I knit and make him stuff. So I guess that's second best :happydance:.

Lobug
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
My DH occasionally stares at my knitting and says something to the effect of "wow, that is so crazy, I just don't get how it works" So I offer to show him, and he politely declines.

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 07:37 AM
deboniz,

Thanks for looking at DH's hats. I think he did real well for a beginner. :-)

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Riss,

I've been knitting off and on for 41 years, mostly on for the last 20 and DH has never wanted to knit before. I also crochet and used to do that quite a bit and thought he'd like that, but he never wanted to learn. We always share what we've been doing and I tell him about my knitting and sometimes crocheting too, and he tells me about his projects at work and the things he is doing, but sometimes we don't "get" what the other is saying. You know what I mean. That is the main reason he decided to let me teach him to knit. It was an anniversary gift that would enable him to understand me better. :lol::inlove: It worked too. He can understand what I am talking about and has some input himself. It only took him 40 years to decide to try it. When he started he didn't really plan to make anything, just learn to do it. But he liked it. :cheering::happydance:

So don't give up on your DBF. Be patient and maybe someday.....:thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Gamerchick,

Thanks for looking at Tom's hats. He is very talented. I never tried to knit anything without a pattern until 2001! That was because I was away from home and my knitting stuff and wanted to knit so I tried it. That was a hat too, and I've made a lot of hats free style since. I don't know why so many of us knitters are afraid to try to "just do it". Sweaters.... a little harder. :lol: But a hat. Anyone can do that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comment on my stuff too.

You just never know when/if the man in your life may decide to try your favorite hobby. After 40 years as the supportive husband to a knitter, I really had given up any realistic hope that DH would ever want to knit and then.... SURPRISE!:balloons: (I saw what you said to Riss, and I agree, for sure.)

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
pandaca,

Thanks about the hats! But be careful about saying never. :-) You can't know the future. :-)

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:18 AM
I think you're right. Some men will probably never knit. But some women never will either. :lol: But until death proves which were which, we just never know. :eyebrow:

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Jax3303,

What a story. :lol: It's a good thing your DH knew just what to do at such a crisis point in your life. <G> Good man! :cheering:

Merigold

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Jana,

Sounds like a good arrangement!

I sometimes wish I didn't have a stash. I feel bad when I want to buy more yarn, but it never seems like I have the right stuff on hand. :-) Yours is a good system if you can stitck to it. Watch out for very good sales, lucky finds at 2nd hand and yard sales, and close outs. Those are resolution busters. LOL

Rhea
07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I wish my boyfriend knit! Then he could make his own damn stuff.

(On second thought....I love it when he asks me to make him something.)

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:37 AM
mari_13,

Sounds like you have a good, normal man. This supportive kind are keepers!! But you never know...he may come around in 40 years. :-)

:think: What I learned, "You can't push them into it. It has to be their own idea."

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Lobug,

Oooo, oooo! This guy shows potential. I see a latent interest here. Been there, heard this for many years. Time will tell.....

pvsduck
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
My husband doesn't knit, but he definitely appreciates what I make. He has learned the terminology and asks lots of questions so he can understand what I'm talking about. He has no interest in learning to knit, but he likes to watch me knit and has never objected when I want to purchase more yarn, even though I have a small stash that is still waiting to be used.

Patricia

msoebel
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Merigold;

I just checked out your dh's hats and I am very impressed. They are just beautiful. I love it when people can't find quite what they want, so they just make it themselves.

Misty

jumboneedle
07-13-2007, 05:31 PM
On this note, has anyone undertaken a project with your man? BostonBecca and I are looking for a fun project to do together!

sylvia
07-14-2007, 12:26 AM
hi
in norway both men and women knit
and they are taught at an early age
i worked with a lady that says her husband and all the family knit
so she had to learn to knit
sylvia:rollseyes:

AnnaT
07-14-2007, 05:13 AM
When I was crocheting my giant ripple, I'd catch him watching me. I'd slow down, explain the act of a dc to him, and then offer to teach him. It was like he turned green at the idea! I can't even imagine suggesting to him that I teach him to knit.

Ha, that's like my husband. I offered to show him how once when he was watching me knit. He just said, "Oh, no, no, no." Then he found something else to do. Somewhere else. :mrgreen:

Debbie
07-14-2007, 08:05 AM
If he thinks knitting is just for "old ladies" .... knit naked ... that will change his mind :)

BostonBecca
07-14-2007, 08:23 AM
If you knit naked, make sure it is a project for you!

jumboneedle
07-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a fun couples project to me!

Lobug
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
There's some fun lingerie patterns out there as well. Definitely not stereotypical knitting.

MerigoldinWA
07-15-2007, 09:02 AM
jumboneedle,

I have tried several times to leave comments on your blog and they won't post. Once I think it worked. Any idea what I'm doing wrong.?

I tired to comment on men knitters you could look to. Kafee Fassett (http://www.kaffefassett.com/knitting.htm) has done some very, very cool things with color. His books that I know of are getting a little dated I suppose but they are still inspirational, and if you know knitting they are awe inspiring. Check him out.

His book Glorious Knits can be found in many libraries. There are other books as well.

jumboneedle
07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Merigold,
I've heard that from a couple people and not really sure what the problem could be. Some comments go through:??. But, I'd still love to hear what you have to say and thanks for reading!