PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Knit For?

jumboneedle
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
It seems that one of the inevitable consequences of developing a talent for knitting is that friends and family will ask you to make something for them. At least, I assume this is a consequence based on the number of projects BostonBecca works on for others. So, who do you most often find yourself knitting for? Yourself? Or others? Equally as important, who do like to knit for most?

Me? I've only got my one project going, but I hope to make a similar blanket for my college-bound sister soon and, of course, something for the Knitting Gal (any suggestions??).

Riss
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I wanted to learn to knit to best my 12 year old brother. He's been bragging for about 2 years now that he could knit and I couldn't. So he went on vacation, and when he came back, I was 4 inches into a ribbed scarf. :D

My first ever knit project is said scarf, in a gorgeous lime green, and the second project is going to be a scarf for a scarf swap. :)

From there? Not sure where I'll go.. Probably something for my family. :)

ready2knit
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I've knit for both my daughters. Though I have stopped knitting for my oldest (11 1/2) because she doesn't use/wear what I make. Her sister continues to enjoy my efforts. I've knit for my father, nephews, niece, myself, and a friend.

I usually knit things that are intersting to me, and try to figure out who might enjoy it.

Jana

Jan in CA
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I mostly knit for charity. I love making little sweaters because when knitting for charity it requires no gauge..it'll fit someone anyway.

My daughters are pretty picky so I haven't made them anything and they haven't asked. :shrug: I have a couple patterns that I may use for them eventually though.

aineepooh1
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I have made boccoos of scarves and hats. i made scarves for family members and hats for coworkers. right now I am making crocheted baby blankets and i have made 3 for coworkers( haven't finished #3 yet). I love making bb with crochet.. they just zip by so fast. right now I have made 4 baby blankets and started number 5. I am going to send them to maryb for her abandoned baby charity...:thumbsup:
I can't ever seem to make anything for myself~:think::think: I started a knitted T top back in april... and I haven't finished it yet. Maybe I will finish it before the holidays~!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Knitlee
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I am a very selfish knitter. I have at least one project on the needles for me. I've knit for my sisters if I see an easy pattern that they might like, for my dad, and my husband. I only knit for friends if they are expecting. Otherwise if someone asks me to knit for them, I decline and offer to teach them.

dreamsherl
07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I knit for my Mom, sister, nephew, daughter, grandsons, and myself. I've been thinking of knitting something for my son-in-law.

candicane
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I have knit for my DD (she's 2), mom, dad, sister, girlfriend, cat, brother and myself. My brother is actually my biggest hat fan. He loves hats. I think I may be brave and try a sweater for him for Christmas. Of course my dad and sister have already asked for sweaters. The cat was the least appreciative. I made him wear the sweater to the vet anyway and I thought he looked very handsome!

I actually really like to make sweaters for myself. I know what colors and fibers I like. I definitely appreciate the process and money that went into a project. I also like that I am only making xsmall or small sizes for myself... it goes quicker than that XLarge sweater for my brother will go.

candice

mari_13
07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
I knit mostly for me but I've knit for my son, my DH, my mom and my best friend. Except for my son (13 months) who doesn't know any better, everyone appreciates my knitting which makes it easier to knit for them!

Lobug
07-12-2007, 01:34 PM
I mostly make things for family--occasionally for friends. Almost all gifts I give are handknits now. So I don't have time to knit for me. I have to start on Christmas gifts in Jan. to have time to make something for all my family!

Me? I've only got my one project going, but I hope to make a similar blanket for my college-bound sister soon and, of course, something for the Knitting Gal (any suggestions??).

One of my favorite things to make for people is fingerless gloves. They are warm, comfortable, (fast) and one still has the ability to use their fingers! My toddlers (who hate mittens) will wear them because they can still do anything they want to--and their hands stay warm!!

bip
07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I am going to come right out and say that I am making a cashmere sweater for DH (instead of for myself) so I could justify the $175 on yarn. "Honey! It's a gift! For you!"

I know I'm not fooling anyone, I obviously just wanted to knit with cashmere. I am a bit intimidated though. I am making him this http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTavast.html, but he asked that I replace the pattern at the bottom with this double helix http://www.twosheep.com/helix/ (he has a Phd in neuroscience). But I have to figure out the sideways issue...

So maybe I'll just curl up in bed and pile the cashmere on top of me :happydance:

jumboneedle
07-12-2007, 01:54 PM
That looks like a great sweater! Good luck!

CateKnits
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I knit mostly for me. Knitting is my me-time so I make me-things with it. I do sometimes knit for friends, though. I don't get asked a lot to make things, which makes me happy. Usually my knitted gifts are surprises.
My friend just asked me to make her a massive scarf like the one I'm working on (it's a tube, 85 stitches across, meant to be 85 inches long) and I flat out refused. I told her I'm estimating 20 to 30 hours worth of knitting time for this and no way, but I offered to teach her how to make one.

cecile77
07-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I knit for myself mostly. I have big plans about things that I want to make for family and close friends but I never get around to it. I need to get better about that.

Ronda
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I've knit mostly for my daughter and my mother. I have made one or two things for myself, but then I feel guilty when my mother tells me how much she LOVES what I made, and I give it to her!!! I've knit for my aunt (at my mother's request - gifts for my aunt) and my niece and my daughter, and I knit a few booga bags for friends. I'm a slow knitter though because it's not something I do every day, as much as I would like to....

Robinknits
07-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I knit for myself and others. I've made lots of things for myself - sweaters, hats, socks, felted bags. But I like knitting for others too. I'm making baby blankets for some friends that are expecting. I recently finished a Booga bag for a friends birthday. I've knit a blanket for my DH and socks and slippers for my boys. Plus I make dishcloths and give those away all the time.

DocDotCom
07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
My intentions were good ... I wanted to knit sweaters to send to Guideposts for their Knit for Kids projects. I still have my first sweater-to-be in pieces in my knitting bag. I misread the directions
they furnished and tried to rectify my mistakes but ended up with 4 pieces that I can't sew together.

I had knitted, somewhat successfully, in the past, but after a 20+ year hiatus have found that while the basic tecniques of knitting did return easily, the more detailed ones did not. I think I'll give up on the first Knit for Kids sweater I goofed up, but I'm not sure I can even do another correctly when it comes to sewing the pieces together.

So, in answering your question, "Who do you knit for?", I should answer with "I will knit for anyone who needs or wants something that doesn't have to be joined with another piece."

Nobones
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I've knitted mainly for myself. I have made hubby a wash cloth, which he loved and said in the winter I can make him a scarf.
I'm really excited about knitting for my swap partner, but nervous at the same time, it's the first time I've knitted something for someone. She makes really nice things too.

I've got an idea about knitting something for my step-mother and step sister for Christmas, but other than that it's always me.

Oh and a little blanket for the cat! I can't forget her!

KT120
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I've only recently started knitting but I know I'm going to be knitting mostly for someone other than myself. Of the FO I have the hat is the only thing I kept (and that is because I insisted!). I am knitting for a family gift exchange next month so I will be knitting for my father, mother, brother, sister, nephew, niece and brother-in-law. I have already knitted for my boyfriend some socks and a scarf and he has requested a satchel as well. I also plan to knit somethng for my best friend, when i don't know.

So I guess the answer to the question is mostly for everyone else but me! I would love someday to make myself something but I love to give so its OK for now.

rebecca
07-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I knit for me and I LOVE to knit for those who enjoy and use/wear the things that I knit for them. When I hear this/that is too pretty to wear or use I no longer knit for that person! Of course, my favorite person to knit for is Lonnie, oh, and my sister, she loves any and all things I knit for her, as does Lonnie which makes it a joy to knit for them!

stirsmommy
07-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I am still a newbie when it comes to knitting. Of my finished objects my ugly, ugly,ugly tube scarf (didn't know stockinette would do that!) is in the hands of my SO and the slippers I made are mine. On my needles I have a wallaby for my seven year old, a bag for myself and the branching out scarf that is sidelined at the moment. The next things up are all presents for family and friends.

loveswildflowers
07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I knit for myself and also for people who actually wear what I knit. Some of my family I knit for but they don't wear what I worked so hard on so I quit. My friends actually appreciate my knitting more than my family. Go figure!

dip's mom
07-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I knit for myself and my granddaughter who is about 14 months old. She is the reason I started knitting again.. I have a plan to knit each one of my sisters (I have 3) a scarf or shawl from 'Victorian Lace Today". I hope I live long enough to knit all the projects I have in mind.

BostonBecca
07-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I knit for Jumboneedle.

I knit for my family as well.

I knit for myself!

auburnchick
07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Count me as one who knits for herself too. I think this is mostly because I'm afraid that others won't like what I've knit. My dd makes it very clear that she doesn't like my FOs, so that has made me gun-shy about doing it for other people.

I did knit two sets of baby things for friends (hats, socks, and washcloths).

I will probably knit my sister a booga bag either for Christmas or for her birthday, and I'm going to be doing the Branching Out scarf for a friend (I've already made one and feel experienced enough to make another to give away).

I would just love to knit for charity. Ultimately that's probably what I'll wind up doing in the future.

PammieJR
07-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I mainly knit for myself and to sell. I have been knitting since 1995, so you'd think I would be more confident in my knitting abilities, but I'm not. I am always afraid to make knitted things for friends and family out of the fear that they won't like it. Kinda like great, thanks for knitting me something I don't want.

I will happily take "commissions" from ANYONE who knows me, could you knit me a scarf, hat, blanket...whatever...I mean HURT ME...make me knit! I do enjoy kinda thinking about the person I am making it for while I am knitting.

I usually give the first attempt of anything to myself. I would hate to mess something up royally and then give it to someone. SO I work the kinks out on my own things and then start making for others.

I would LOVE to knit for charity (ideas welcome-you can PM me with suggestions, I'd love it!) Although I got really burned on my first attempt at this. I blame the individual store, unless you all have similiar stories. In maybe 2003, my friends and I knitted squares for the Warm Up America blankets for the homeless and dropped them off at our local Micheal's drop off box to then be sewn together at a later date. When my friends and I went back to the store later to ask about the squares and possible blankets, we were told, without any embarrassment that since they didn't have anyone to sew the pieces together, they just THREW THEM AWAY! So I have been weary...

Braden
07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I knit for my close family and friends. People know not to ask for anything, or, if they do, not to hold their breat. I never commit to an exact deadline for a project, I'll get to it sooner or later.

redheadrachel
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Lately I've been knitting a lot for myself, but I usually do that when I'm trying out new techniques. I don't feel bad if it has some amount of mistakes because it's "just" for me. I really like knitting for my friends at school. There seem to be more and more options for really awesome knitted items for ladies in their early 20's, so I really enjoy that. I've also been knitting for my brothers, and it's a fun challenge to find stuff that's many enough for them! lol It's also a challenge to knit for my mother because she's overly practical, so I end up trying to make beautiful dishcloths, etc. because she only wants stuff that's useful (usually at the expense of beauty - that's why it makes me work so hard!)

Mostly just myself, very close friends, and very close family :D

Krystal
07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I am a very selfish knitter. I have at least one project on the needles for me. I've knit for my sisters if I see an easy pattern that they might like, for my dad, and my husband. I only knit for friends if they are expecting. Otherwise if someone asks me to knit for them, I decline and offer to teach them.

My name is Krystal and I am a selfish knitter. I HAAATE, LOATHE and DETEST knitting for other people. I find my efforts are not appreciated as much, and I learned to make things for me :shifty:.

In fact, I went to the effort to knit a good friend a hat in her fave colours, since she liked my hat so much. I have never seen her wear it. (but I hear her son adores it)

I have only made one thing for a co worker that was well recieved. In fact I would knit for him again, because he really loved the scarf I made. Declared it 'PIMP" and wore it everywhere.

But I too only knit for my 'expecting' friends/family because baby clothes are always welcome and hand knits are just so cute on babies.

I really need to finish the scarf for my mom tho. Lucky FH just wanted a very long basic knit scarf, and he loves it.

One friend who was particularly demanding in getting a knit garment, I personally taught how to knit. She made one crappy scarf (her words), declared it too boring and hard and never bothered me again. (hooray!)

G J
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I've made most stuff for myself, especially because at first, I wasn't sure anyone else would WANT my stuff. I've also sold three ponchos on request. That was nice! Money to support my yarn habit! :cheering: I knit my mom a sweater per her request. That was HARD because she's 3,000 miles away and I was using a vintage pattern with VERY different sizing. It turned out great, though! I've also knit several toddler sweaters for friends' kids. My own kids (ages 17 & 19) don't want me to knit anything for them, but I just started a sweater for my DH, and now he's requesting socks! And of course, I'm knitting something for my swap partner. I really hope she likes it!!

saracidaltendencies
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I usually knit for family members, or, the occasional person who wants to pay me for something...lol...I'm not quite sure why, but, I don't really like knitting for myself...lol...Since I began, I've only made myself 2 things: a cell phone case and a scarf I just finished a few days ago. Everything else has either been for my mom, dad, grandmas, sister, sister in law, kids, hubby and the people who wanted to buy cell phone cases...However, I have been quite interested in starting a charity type thing, knitting for the needy and/or women and men in Iraq and especially the men and women who are Iraq veterans and have no where to go and nothing left after coming home.

msoebel
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Mostly...I knit for my 3 year old daughter. She's awesome to knit for, because everything I make is "just gorgeous, mommy!":hug:

I've been knitting for 9 months and so far I have gifted the following:
-a wristband to my daughter
-a purse to my daughter
-a scarf to my mom
-a cell phone sweater to my mom
-a doubleknit hat to my dad
-a striped hat and scarf to my future sister in law
-a striped hat to my brother in law
-a striped hat to a retiring co-worker (in our university colors, of course)
-a lace shrug to my daughter
-a sleep mask for a friend
-a tank top to my daughter
-a heart pillow to my daughter
-a heart to my friend
-a stuffed bunny to my daughter
-a lace shawl to my sister in law
-a sweater and hat set for my future niece
-I am making a sweater and hat set for my friend's first baby

I think I am forgetting some stuff.

I pretty much knit for anyone and for any reason.

Misty

MerigoldinWA
07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I mostly knit for other people, or just knit and then try to figure out what to do with the product. I have made around 65 sweaters and only one for myself. I've got a couple of pair of worsted weight socks I kept (these socks aren't made for walkin'), and I have kept a few hats and a scarf.

I've knit for my husband, and son (Until he grew up, now he doesn't want me to knit for him, because he says he will have an obligation to "treasure it forever", and he can't stand the pressure. :lol:) (Really I am not that attached to my knitting when it is finished, but that is his fear.) I've knit for my three daughters, 6 grandchildren (and one on the way), one sweater for my mom and some footless socks (she had her feet amputated), one sweater for my dad (I don't think I ever saw him in a sweater before that, but he occasional wore mine, with pride.) I have knit a lot of baby sweaters for anyone I knew who was having a baby. Booties, hats, mittens and a few blankies fall in that category too. And for a few friends. Oh yes, and for my DIL and one of my SIL, but not so well received. :pout:

For a big part of my knitting I just pick a project I am inspired to knit and then find a home for it. I have a little stash of things I haven't found homes for yet too. :aww: My favorite projects are things for babies and hats. I love making those little projects, that look good and give quick satisfaction. :cheering:

SabrinaJL
07-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I pretty much knit for everybody but myself. In the year that I've been knitting, I've knit for my mom, dad, daughter, husband, sister, niece, friends and numerous charities. I've made myself a pair of Fetching.

ladyroto
07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I mostly make things for family--occasionally for friends. Almost all gifts I give are handknits now. So I don't have time to knit for me.

I am the same way, There are only 2 things I have knitted that I have kept. One is the first thing I ever knitted, a scarf full of mistakes (that is why I didn't give it to someone) and a halter top that the neck strap is too short to wear so I will have to unknit that part and fix.

Samsam
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I knit for me, my family, friends, and some charity (I want to get into that more started making blanket squares working up to making hats for hospital babies). I think that deep down everyone appreciates a knitted gift and they'll think about it when they think about you.
I find patterns that I think will work for that person or I'll make something up..whatever it comes out as I know is for a reason :heart:

KnittinMitchie
07-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I knit for everyone else but me. I thin my 2yr old has received a good share of knitted goods. Last winter when one of our cousins was preggers I knitted for the new baby and her 2 other kiddos. Some of the first few things I learned to knit when to her kids. Being 3 & 5 they didn't really care that I had made mistakes. :)

wolfette
07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I have a tendency to only knit for those I know appreciate hand-made things. To me, it's not worth the time and effort (and aggravation sometimes) to make something that someone will look at, smile politely, and think "NEXT!" I knit for close family members, since we're all crafty in one way or another, very close and appreciative friends, and charity.

ironmaiden
07-16-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm still a n00b but I am knitting mainly for myself. Also for my 3-year old DD.

DH has been hounding me to start a sweater for him but I haven't found a pattern I like yet.

I have ideas in my head about Christmas presents, but having spent a lot of time making handmade gifts for family in the past, I am hesitant to bother this year. Maybe a scarf/hat for each SIL and that's it...

mwedzi
07-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I knit and crochet mainly for me. On occasion I'll make something for someone else. Hmm, so far, it's only socks for others except my friend in Korea who I made a scarf and a shrug for because she can appreciate it. Generally no one but me can appreciate the work I put into a hand knit, so if it's just because they need something, I'd rather buy the thing they need and give it to them. They are generally just as happy (happier, even) with that than with a hand knit.

kblue
07-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I've knit things for DD, DS, and my 2 sisters. I've actually got my first request from my mom for a wrap/shawl. For the most part though i knit for my DD. She's still young enough (3yrs) to get away with actually wearing my not so perfect projects. She'll wear just about anything i make her because she still thinks is fun (you know like playing dress up). DS doesn't really want to wear anything i make him anymore only hats and/or scarves.

Hygiene Mama
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I knit for everyone, except myself. Okay, I've made myself 2 purses and a scarf. But, I love to knit for babies and my kids. I have 3 or 4 project sgoing at the same time!

KathyinCali
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I knit for my friends and family. The occasional baby blanket for a coworker. I did spend time knitting myself 2 Ruanas and a sweater last winter and I'm very happy with them. I have a new Yorkie puppy so I'm going to try to knit something for her soon!