PDA

View Full Version : Need everyones help:What are you looking for in a yarn shop?

Jessica
07-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Well, as a few of you ladies already know, I am in the process of starting an on-line yarn shop (hopefully a store front will follow:pray:) and Im looking for input. I want it to service my customers as best as I can and give you guys what you want. So to better help make the site easier for you and everyone else, tell me what your looking for, please.

*What are you guys looking for in a yarn shop?

*What do you like, what dont you like about online stores?

*What kinds of yarn are you looking for (brand, type, wieght,etc)?

*What other kinds of things (patterns, needles, etc.) would you like?

*Any shipping idea's?

*Do you have any other suggestions?

Im open for any suggestion or comments. My goal is to make you happy. And of course there will be a discount for KH members;-)
Thanks you your help guys!

hunterjenn
07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Good prices, more than anything, are the reason I buy from one shop over another. (Though loyalty to the seller will make me reconsider. :teehee:)

I hate when there's no tracking. I like the option of faster shipping, though I don't usually use it. I love how Knitpicks gives free shipping over a certain amount

Re: yarn itself, I use sport and DK weight the most, with worsted second and fingering third. I never have much use for bulky. No point, if you ask me, in carrying stuff I can find in any craft store. I can get Cascade 200 anywhere...give me the good stuff! I can't ever find much Malabrigo or Debbie Bliss.

For patterns, it has to be downloadable. I won't purchase a paper pattern online--I'd rather go find it in a shop where I can take it home.

For the site itself, consistent design and good editing mean the most to me. Sites with all arial font or whatever that look like somebody just slapped it up with no thought make me nuts, and they don't feel trustworthy to me.

That's all I got for now! :thumbsup:

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 02:01 PM
I am pretty much the same, although I use all weights of yarn. Here are things that are very important to me:

1) Searchable. I don't want to have to look through lists and lists of what you have. I want to be able to do a search for the yarns I need.

2) Design. I like to be able to clearly find the interesting things: New yarns, Sale yarns, etc. Less is more when it comes to site design, I think.

3) Communication. I like to get an email the moment I finish ordering saying the order is placed, and an email when the items ship. I am too grumpy to play "post man roulette".

4) Patterns. You should definitely have some patterns that go with the yarn you are selling. I often buy yarn that I really like with no idea what to do with it. Some suggestions for patterns that go with certain yarns would be good!

Jillle
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I totally agree with number 4. I like to have a pattern that goes with the yarn. If I have one without the other, I'm less likely to buy it. I also like downloadable patterns.

aineepooh1
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
FRIENDLY SERVICE~ I DETEST snotty yarn snob service~ I mean I HATE IT>>~!:nails::fingerwag::fingerwag::fingerwag::!!!::!! !::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:
I also like a good price~ and I found a LYS that I LIKE... and they have a big clearance yarn... grab bag section in the back of the store~! NOW YOUR'E TALKING~!!:drooling::drooling:

Bottom line for me: I want a good service, good price and a good selection~! :thumbsup:

Momto G B and H
07-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Don't charge me until you ship my yarn. Don't have yarn up on your site that you don't have in stock. I know there are occasional problems but it really is irritating when a site says something is in stock and it isn't.
Don't set yourself up for problems shippingwise. Ship everything priority mail (you can get boxes, labels, etc for free) and with tracking numbers so no "Hey I didn't get my yarn" when someone is just trying to get a freebie. Charge as close to actual shipping as you can. Nothing chaps my hide more than to pay $7 shipping on a $5 item. I just won't do it.
Offer frequent buyer clubs, freebies (they don't have to be big) or something special to keep your customers returning. Even if costs you just a few pennines it's worth it.
Wrap the yarns attractively, don't just throw them into a box. In fact, my preference is tissue paper, and THEN some sort of plastic.
And I can't third, fourth, or whatever number it is, customer service. I hate it when I can't contact a place I ordered from.

Jessica
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
This is great, Im taking notes:teehee: Keep it coming!!

And no, Im not a snob (well maybe a coffee snob). I detest the snobby yarn shop people as well, which is why I drive an hour to go to my LYS. And I love talking to people, so getting ahold of me wouldnt be a problem, unless I was in class, but I'd walk out of class to gladly take an order, or to help fix a problem.

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM
As a web entrepreneur, I can't tell you how important it is to automate as much as possible. You want a shopping cart program for your site that pretty much does everything for you but ship the product. It will make your life much easier!

Stiney
07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
You're going to be an online-only endeavor, which means your web-design needs to be clean and clear and easy to navigate, and all copy (i.e., everything written on the site) needs to be accurate, spelled correctly, and using proper grammar (with some leeway here for things like ending sentences with prepositions.)

Offer as wide a range as possible for colors, offer discounts, and don't forget to advertise!

kellyh57
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Pictures, pictures, pictures. Not just a thumbnail or a couple of strands of yarn, but a big detailed picture and a FO or swatch if possible.

Same for patterns, both a close-up and whole thing picture is so helpful!

Kelly

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 06:23 PM
That is an excellent point. Showing a swatch is a great idea!!!

Miss Moosey
07-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I like places that have the types of yarn and knitting gadgets that I never knew existed but, once I learn about them, I desperately need :inlove:.

Good luck with everything!
Rebecca

orcoastknitter
07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
I know it's mentioned before, but shipping charges really ruffle my feathers! That is first thing I look for when shopping for yarn (or anything really). I think using USPS packaging is great (it's free).

G J
07-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, first, good luck on your endeavor! :hug: Here's my $.02:
Organize the site REALLY WELL.
Make it searchable--Not just by word, but also by yarn weight, fiber content, yarn type, etc.
PRICE MATTERS! I'm on a VERY tight budget, so I can't afford to spend $10/skein for sock yarn that requires two skeins for one pair of socks.
Descriptions matter-and make sure they're honest and accurate. Don't say a yarn feels good next to the skin if it makes your neck itch.
Email marketing is by far the cheapest, (but I gotta say, I look at KnitPicks catalog a LOT!) Automate the sign up for it, but make it easy for people to remove themselves from the list. AND DON'T SELL YOUR LIST!
A really well-done pod-cast may also help with marketing.
Of course, positive customer service is crucial.
Ditto the others on shipping charges.
Free patterns with yarn purchase would be a good idea, too.
If I think of anything else, I'll chime in again!

debinoz
07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
The problem I have with a lot of online shopping is that almost all of them are hung up on wool of all kinds. It's very difficult to find non-wool yarn in dk or sport that is reasonably priced.

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree here too. I can't use wool much because I am allergic, so blends without wool would be awesome.

Krystal
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
1) I think something no one thinks about but is really important is SECURITY.

Using online shopping people expect a secure server, and often don't check to be sure it's secure. When you purchase your domain name and web host, you can ask them how to get an SSL certificate (this will cost money) and they will help you with that information.

Most web hosts offer great shopping cart services, which will take care of everything, minus shipping the actual product. You can even put in the exact number of a product you have, and when the last one is gone, it will be removed from the page, until you update the quantity. (I was testing some out :rofl:)

To get back to things I like in a yarn store:

2) I like having alternate methods of payment. Most yarn stores don't take PayPal, and for some people paypal is preferred, (since you can use debit accounts as well as credit cards.)

as far as design goes... clutter I agree with everyone else. :woohoo:

Yarns - I tend to stick to acrylics from walmart, but right now we are paying for wedding things so visa and extra cash are tied up with that. When that's done tho, I would love to try out other yarns, luxurious ones.

zkimom
07-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I am in the process of opening a business (it will be web based and I have a shop as well) and I know that everyone is looking for cheap. Cheap yarn, cheap furniture, cheap clothing, just plain cheap. And I can appreciate that we are all looking to save money. But the real problem is that money (especially the American Dollar) is worth nothing these days. The dollar is something like .63 cents for every Euro -- it's almost toilet paper.

That doesn't cheapen the value of someone's merchandise, however. It's tough to be on the other end of this coin these days. I'm not saying I know what the answer is but really to expect everything to be measured in Walmart prices is unfair. I am only hoping to get a decent value for my money and decent service, to me, counts a lot.

I am willing to pay for service and quality.

I don't shop at Walmart, I frequent my local merchants as much as possible and I avoid chains when possible. I even pay a little more at my LYS instead of ordering online just to help support the community around me. So what I look for in a web based business is the same that I would look for in any business IRL. Service and quality and a reason to come back for more.

Just my not so humble .02

Best,
Susan

hunterjenn
07-16-2007, 10:20 PM
:teehee: I'm not lookin' for Wal-mart cheap, but if your skein of yarn's $7.75 instead of $8, I'll buy from ya. :shrug:

aineepooh1
07-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Another thing I just thought of... IF you buy yarn online OFFER to wind the yarn for them (for a fee). I JUST NOW got my ball winder and swift~:inlove::inlove::inlove::passedout: .. but for the longest time all the yarn I bought online comes in hanks~ I tried SEVERAL times to wind by hand~:wall::wall::wall: and I ended up buying expensive string that I just can't USE~!
I can't tell you how many times I WISHED.. someone would send my hank yarn magically transformed into a yarn cake~!:clink:In the LYS you can request this but online~ FORGET IT~:shrug:

AND like someone else said... there is a difference between cheap and value~ I WILL pay a little more IF I feel I am getting SOMETHING for my money. in addition I TOO want to support the LYS community b/c it's a very specialized market and if we don't buy from them we don't have a choice...but I like the convenience, choice and selection of online~
I do alot of shopping online (even from LYS) b/c I want to have choices.. KWIM?
but again~ GRAB BAGS~ :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:
love EM~:waving:

redheadrachel
07-16-2007, 11:50 PM
I need lots and lots and lots of sock yarn! I think a good variety of weights and brands and fibers and stuff is really the key - the main reason I would buy yarn online is so I can buy a bunch for all my different projects all in the same order. So I might need stuff for a sweater, some socks, baby items, wool for felting, etc. and want it all from the same place.
Quick responses to e-mail questions is also a top priority in an online store. Fair pricing and quick responses.
Good luck!!! You're awesome :D

newamy
07-16-2007, 11:56 PM
While I've only ordered them once I really like it that Knit Picks sells color cards. It's nice to not only see the color but to feel the yarn. I once ordered 3 cards from them, and while I did not turn around and order every kind of yarn I was looking at it was very useful to me. And when I did order some I knew what I was getting. If you could send color card for every line of yarns that would be awsome. There is lots I don't buy because I haven't seen it in person. Sometimes I have seen it at my LYS but maybe they didn't have the desired color. So I find the color on line but I'm still not sure of the shade and I'd really like at least a tiny sample. Or the company carries midnight, mulberry, and plum and on my computer they all look blue or black and since I'm looking for the just right shade of purple and don't want to bother with a return or spend a lot on something I don't want I decide not to order it even if it might be the perfect yarn. I would be more easily persuaded to buy more on line if I could always order a sample card.

Krystal
07-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Another thing I just thought of... IF you buy yarn online OFFER to wind the yarn for them (for a fee). I JUST NOW got my ball winder and swift~:inlove::inlove::inlove::passedout: .. but for the longest time all the yarn I bought online comes in hanks~ I tried SEVERAL times to wind by hand~:wall::wall::wall: and I ended up buying expensive string that I just can't USE~!
I can't tell you how many times I WISHED.. someone would send my hank yarn magically transformed into a yarn cake~!:clink:In the LYS you can request this but online~ FORGET IT~:shrug:

What a great idea. I hate how it comes in hanks... We pay sometimes 20 bucks for some string in a loop? I wind by hand with an empty toilet paper roll. This only works on one ball tho, and not very well... :pout: So I second that having the ball wound for you could be an option they can ask for.

mel.b
07-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I agree with everything everyone has said above. For me, personally, someone who ships overseas and accepts Paypal would be fantastic. Fast processing and shipping would be great too. I was going to order from another online place that does paypal and international and then read on here that they can take a week or more to ship your order - that's a deal killer to me.

A well designed site is obviously a must - pictures of the wool/yarn are essential, even better if you can show them knitted up. I think have the wool sorted by type, rather than brand name would be better too.

Good luck!
Mel.b

dakatzmeow
07-17-2007, 03:44 AM
i can't think of a thing to add that hasn't already been said. someone mentioned non-wools. i think that is an excellent idea. some linen, hemp, cotton, or other non-wools would be excellent.

misstialouise
07-17-2007, 04:07 AM
1. A good range of yarns
2. Good prices for said yarns
3. Good international shipping that's cost effective

willowangel
07-17-2007, 05:00 AM
I second the international shipping thing - so often I go to buy things from US stores and find the shipping is extortionate - I get that I'll have to pay quite a bit more for shipping but, for a lot of places, it's completely outrageous.

I'm also with the non-wool still-pretty idea - some affordable pretty things that won't make me come up in hives would be great - if you can find them ;-) Most of the pretty things seem to still have mohair/superwash/alpaca etc in them, even 5%. And my big thing : Chunky yarn in pretty colours that's not got any wool in it - the hardest thing to find over here.

Downloadable Patterns, too.

And, of course, really good service - quick replies to emails (within reason), polite problem solving. The online sellers I go back to again and again are the ones who've been really kind, enthusiastic and go the extra mile to offer great service.

Oh, and fast shipping, again, within reason - while its fun to receive random packages in the mail you forgot you ordered, when you're desperate to start a project you want the stuff asap - no waiting more than you have to - offering a higher priced next day delivery service might be worthwhile.

I could go on and on, but there's my ideas :-)
Fi xxx

(sometimes a bit of an 'about me' section helps too - makes you feel more like you're dealing with a real person who's as into stuff as you are)

lizzitude
07-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Price, service, and security are all important basics. The main thing that sets one online shop apart from other for me is the type of searches available. I am usually looking for yarn for a particular project and may need to search by gauge, by content, by needle size, etc - and in combination also - not just by one criteria. If I can't find the type of yarn I'm looking for, I won't buy! Other helpful things are great pictures of both the yarn and a swatch, and a great description of the yarn. I'd also love to see a unit cost - how much for 50 yards - no matter what the skein or hank size.

What I haven't seen, but would love to see on a site is a rating system by consumers. Maybe rate yarns based on durability, ease of knitting, value, etc, and allow text comments. I know good reviews would encourage me to buy a particular brand of yarn over another, regardless of price.

The bottom line for most online shoppers is, of course, price. The things that keep me from ordering from a cheaper site would be:

Look and feel - if the site feels "unprofessional" and looks like it was put together in someone's living room, I won't order
Navigation - if it takes me too long to find what I'm looking for, I'll give up.
Shipping costs - I want to know up front what my shipping costs will be - If I have to check out before seeing it, I'll often abandon the site.
Inventory - I like to see exactly how much yarn is in stock before I order. If I'm not sure how many are in stock for a larger project, I'll often go somewhere else.Hope that helps, and good luck!

cftwo
07-17-2007, 08:52 AM
For online shopping, I look for ease in searching (I like the way Webs divides things up - I can search for yarn by weight or by brand, or...) and good photos of the colors available. It also helps to have the number of skeins in stock there, too, so I know if you have everything I need. Beyond that - variety. A good variety will mean that there's a better chance I'll find exactly what I need. So, some trendy stuff, some classic stuff, some inexpensive things, some pricey things. In a live yarn shop, a good selection beats out everything, but a nice well-lit, well-organized, colorful set up comes 2nd.

I don't like that I can't touch the yarn. :rofl: So, perhaps a description of what the yarn feels like would be helpful. I go like that I can narrow down my selection with a search function (as opposed to going through large binders or whatever in a LYS, or looking blankly at a wall of yarn, trying to figure out which one is the right weight for my pattern).

*What kinds of yarn are you looking for (brand, type, wieght,etc)? It varies by project. Everything from Wool Ease to luxurious mohair blends, lace weight to super bulky.

Addi needles and Clover needles are my favorites. The Susan Bates/Boye are good starter needles, too. If you don't have patterns in stock, the ability to order them (and get them in a reasonable amount of time) is nice, too.

*Any shipping idea's? USPS works well for most things. UPS, though, has better tracking (if that's important) and is cheaper when you get to heavier packages.

*Do you have any other suggestions? I'm looking forward to what you put together!

Good luck!

geekgolightly
07-17-2007, 09:33 AM

price
service (fast shipping, free shipping with X amt order, a real phone number to call with problems, quick e-mail response, no hassle return policy, ease of navigation on the site)

i love the ability to get really crisp closeup shots of the yarn as well. and color charts! flyingfingers.com (http://flyingfingers.com) has great photos of their yarn. i drool when i go to that site.

i don't like being able to feel the yarn, and i don't like waiting for the yarn. i order from knitpicks so obviously i do wait for stuff, but there are many times when i could have gotten yarn cheaper but just didn't want to wait on them, so i bought elsewhere or at an LYS.

i also don't like when someone advertises that they have something but they are continually out of stock. a good idea would be to have the option of being automatically e-mailed when something is restocked.

i buy these brands most often

worsted, aran - mission falls, encore, debbie bliss, manos

sport and fingering - lornas laces, handspun or handpainted yarn, jitterbug, online, baby uhl

aside from the knitpicks needles which are pretty righteous, i would like the option to buy bamboo DPNs (crystal palace and chiagoo are great) and maybe some indulgent DPNs (and straights!) like rosewood or ebony needles

would like patterns from knittinghelp peeps to be featured. i'm more likely to buy a pattern rather than search for a free one, if it's someone i know.

good luck! let us know when you open!

geekgolightly
07-17-2007, 09:38 AM
That is an excellent point. Showing a swatch is a great idea!!!

or even a knitted object with the yarn if possible. esp with sock yarn, the handpainted stuff sometimes pools etc.

geekgolightly
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
2) I like having alternate methods of payment. Most yarn stores don't take PayPal, and for some people paypal is preferred, (since you can use debit accounts as well as credit cards.)

it's true. i will buy from a store i'm not already established with if it has paypal more often than not. it's a really good idea for impulse purchases. having to find my credit card, take it out of my wallet and type in all those numbers is tedious. but if all i have to do is sign in to paypal, i'm more likely to buy right then and there.

hunterjenn
07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Shipping costs - I want to know up front what my shipping costs will be - If I have to check out before seeing it, I'll often abandon the site.

YES! That's one of my online pet-peeves!

Hey, Jess, I PMed you.

figaro
07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree with what everyone else is saying and I would like to add that a selection of needles would be great! I have seen quite a few here that love Addi's, Options, Boye's, etc but I really do like Clover Takumi Bamboo straights, circulars and DPN's. Quite a few sites have the more expensive needles but I prefer the Takumi's so I have to search sites all over for them.

Customer Service will keep my coming back even if the prices are a little higher than other sites with bad customer service.

I really like Amazon for the ability to read customer reviews on the books and other products.

letah75
07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Definately well organized sites that are easy to navagate. I like the ability to search by type of yarn, weight or brand. Also the "contact us" area should be easy to find and easy to understand.

There are many sites where you can't figure out how to contact the company with a question or issue. I don't just want to be able to contact via e-mail, but I would also like a phone number just in case.

There have been too many times I haven't gotten a response via e-mail, or I get an automated response, saying "we'll get back to you within 48 hours", and then nothing.

I think having alternative yarns is an excellent idea. Hemp, Linen, etc. Also and this is just an idea, may you can make a little section in which when looking at the yarn you can link to some of the books that use that yarn in their patterns....don't know if that would work, but it might sell some more books.

As mention ealier, shipping charges should be easy to find! Pictures should be clear, crisp and accomanied by a swatch if possible. Showing inventory is good! And maybe offering 10% discount codes every once in a while?:shrug:

Doodknitwit
07-17-2007, 05:10 PM
with :Charge as close to actual shipping as you can. Nothing chaps my hide more than to pay $7 shipping on a $5 item. I just won't do it.
Offer frequent buyer clubs, freebies (they don't have to be big) or something special to keep your customers returning. Even if costs you just a few pennines it's worth it.

i am fortunate to have the greatest lys nearby where one is welcomed to touch, feel & fondle the yarns and ask for help!!
before getting this great place I ordered online.. so the above was pet peeves... :eyes:

LibraryLady
07-17-2007, 06:14 PM
I just read through all the above posts and one recurring theme is - "I don't know what it feels like."

I don't know anything about designing a website, so this is really a shot in the dark as an idea.

How about customer feedback on the "feel" of a yarn? Anything printed by you or the manufacturer will have the ol' marketing sort of touch to it. Whereas if I'm buying a yarn and I see that 1 person out of 20 thought it was itchy/scratchy, then I'd have a better sense of the non-hyped "feel" to a yarn. Or "it was stiff to work with but once it was washed it was lovely" - that sort of feedback would give me a better sense of what I'm buying without touching.

I've never purchased yarn online unless it's something I've already touched somehow, someway.

LL

annomalley
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
You're going to be an online-only endeavor, which means your web-design needs to be clean and clear and easy to navigate, and all copy (i.e., everything written on the site) needs to be accurate, spelled correctly, and using proper grammar (with some leeway here for things like ending sentences with prepositions.)

Offer as wide a range as possible for colors, offer discounts, and don't forget to advertise!

Just to add to what Stiney said about web design, make sure that your website works in multiple browsers and try to stay away from scripts and code that are browser specific. One thing that would keep me from returning to any online shop is if their site was broken in my web browser because they used IE only scripts that don't work in Firefox or any other web browser that is not IE.

A good selection of yarn, things that you wouldn't find in other yarn stores, a good selection of needles, etc.

I don't buy yarn online because I can't pick it up and touch it. Sometimes when yarn is photographed, the same color looks different when you actually hold the yarn in your hand and look at it than from the picture online (either how it's photographed or due to the settings on the computer monitor of the person looking at the picture). I don't want to end up with a color that is different than what I thought I was getting.

The other reason why I don't generally buy yarn online is that I have a very good LYS in my town and I like to support them with my money. This is something I feel strongly about, especially after reading some of the bad experiences other people have had at their LYS's.

What might tempt me to shop online for yarn is if an online yarn store carried something that my LYS did not carry.

A general reason why I like online stores is that I can shop for things at 3 in the morning while sitting in my underwear and I don't have to stand in line at the checkout and I don't have to find parking.

Some of the brands that are a bit more hard to find. Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted is rather hard to find. One store near me carries it, but they're carrying less and less of Lion Brand in general. They're cheaper than the Lion Brand website. When I need to use an acrylic yarn, Wool Ease is the one I like the best.

Needles, especially bamboo needles and needles in oddball sizes that are hard to find.

*Any shipping idea's?

The best shipping for the least amount of money is good. The ability to track my order is also good. :)

*Do you have any other suggestions?
Maybe offer some knitting and crochet books for sale, too?
Something else that would be cool is if the customers could write reviews of the yarn so other people could use another person's experience with the product (i.e. how it knits up, does it split, how does the knitted fabric drape, etc.) to decide if they want to use it for what project they have in mind or if they should try something else.

Good luck with your endeavor and I hope it works out for you. :)

iza
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
One thing I would add, is to be clear that you are in the States. It might sound stupid, but sometimes it's almost impossible to know where in the world an online store is. I generally prefer to shop in Canadian shops to avoid high shipping costs and customs problems, unless, like Knitpicks, the costs for shipping internationally are clearly mentioned.

lauraknits
07-18-2007, 01:58 AM
One pet peeve I don't think has been specifically mentioned yet: If I order something which a store lists as in stock and I pay for next day shipping, I think it's rotten to pack it and ship it 7-10 days later and then charge me for next day shipping, especially when the site says something like "in stock items ship in 1-2 days." I have had it happen more than once and it made me quite sad (among other things).

I think most people expect that if they pay extra for fast shipping, they will actually get their order fast. So,if you offer next day or 2-day shipping, I think you need to be prepared to package those items for shipping rapidly. Otherwise, don't offer rapid shipping!

I will now step off the soap box. Thank you.:muah:

Braden
07-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Here's what I look for:

-Lots of classic, all wool. I prefer undyed, but that's just me.

-Show a knitted garment with the wool in question. Knit something that shows off the yarn best, like for a shetland wool, have a customer knit a fair isle. And, have a card with information about the yarn tagged to the garment.

-Wide selection of needles, circular and dpn's are all I would stock, in Addi Turbo, Addi Natura, Crystal Palace, Inox (regular and Express) and various other brands.

-Lots of accessories, like bags, markers, stitch holders, etc.

Also, reasonably priced. But, then again, I'm willing to pay up to $20 for a skein of yarn, if it's good, and some people may not consider that "reasonably" priced.