PDA

View Full Version : Ebay and feedback from sellers

SabrinaJL
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
It irks me that most sellers won't leave you feedback until you've left some for them, and I don't really get why it is done this way. I mean, I feel like once I've bid on an item and paid for it promptly, I've held up my end of the deal and should be given positive feedback right away. Am I wrong on this? If anybody here is a seller on Ebay, maybe you can explain this to me.

snowbear
07-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree. I once asked a seller why... if I bid, paid,what else should I have to do to get feedback..

She bs around and basically stated so she could be the last to leave feedback if she didn't like what I left

That it is "about the entire transaction"

Then I have those who leave feedback as soon as I pay.. which is usually w/in 12 hours max.

I avoid those that state feedback left after received.

It irks the heck out of me.. so I always ask before I bid.

But.. that's just me.. when I sell, I leave feedback as soon as pymt posts.

Silver
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
First of all, I'm a buyer, not a seller. I've only sold 3 things on ebay but I've bought over 60 items.

I don't mind it and I think it's a good practice for sellers. It's true that if you've paid, you've done your part. But there are lots of buyers who will become trouble AFTER they've paid and received the item.

For example:
Buyer bids, wins and pays promptly.
Seller leaves positive feedback for the buyer and ships the item.
Item arrives and buyer is not happy. Claims it's not what they wanted/wasn't described properly/etc... even though seller has described it in full detail, buyer just didn't read carefully.
Buyer is pissed off and leaves negative feedback without giving the seller a chance to rectify the situation.
Buyer is screwed and wishing they had waited to leave feedback.

Feedback isn't only about paying and shipping the item. It's about the whole experience with the buyer or seller. Communication, problems and corrections, everything involved. If the seller doesn't know if you're happy with the item yet, and they don't know how you'll respond in the event of a problem, they can't leave feedback about you. You know??

marykz
07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with silver and add one thing- it is another way to make sure the item was actually received before "closing out" the tranasction. eBay tracks "items awaiting feedback" for both sides. Once the buyer leaves feedback, the seller knows the item has arrived and all is well. (or not- but you should always email with questions before leaving neg feedback.)

there are folks out there who abuse the system for fun! since sellers depend on the positive/negative feedback system to reflect their integrity as a seller- it is in their best interest to be careful.

SabrinaJL
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I guess since I've never had problems, I didn't think of it that way. That does make sense though.

Stiney
07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
I've never sold anything, but as a buyer, I don't leave feedback until I receive the item, because I want to know for sure it arrived. I can't blame the seller for waiting, in that case.

Kaydee
07-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I've never sold anything but when I buy I also wait to leave feedback like Stiney. You don't want to leave feedback then have something wrong with the item. Also, isn't there an option for sellers to comment back on negative feedback? When I was looking a feedback at a few sellers they had some ned comments but they had commented back on the reason the buyer didn't get the item or whatever the issue is.

Nobones
07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I sell my clothes and costumes online, we leave feedback once the customer has received the item. We had a problem once a customer claimed the item I sent was full of holes and red wine stains, it wasn't, the item went out in perfect condition. It turned out she'd mixed us up with someone else, but that was it, our only neg. Since then we leave feedback once customer has received item.

I can see problem, but we all need a bit of leeway.

brendajos
07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I can see that side of the issue, but the problem I have with it is that it also holds the buyer hostage in leaving good feedback or the seller will leave bad. it's crappy on both sides of the equation really.

auburnchick
07-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh man...I was thinking about posting something like this!

This is such a big gripe for me.

I buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller, I always leave feedback as soon as the buyer pays. I include, with their package, a copy of their receipt along with a handwritten thank you with the phrase that feedback has been left and how I would appreciate the same courtesy. I will also, after mailing the package, send a note to the buyer to let them know that the item was shipped that day, again with the note that I just left feedback.

As a buyer, I leave feedback after I receive my item and verify that, if it's mechanical, it works or that pages aren't torn from my books.

I've only left neutral feedback one time. The buyer was so angry that he left a very nasty comment back, giving me neutral feedback. I figured out that you can comment back on your feedback -- although you can't remove it.

Oh, and one more thing...

If you ever buy or sell anything on half.com, make sure you leave feedback there as well. It's the same company as Ebay.

I buy and sell all of my college books on half.com, and I rarely have buyers who leave feedback. It's very frustrating. It's no different than owning your own business. The feedback is your word of mouth to establish a good reputation.

rosefields
07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
It irks me that most sellers won't leave you feedback until you've left some for them, and I don't really get why it is done this way. I mean, I feel like once I've bid on an item and paid for it promptly, I've held up my end of the deal and should be given positive feedback right away. Am I wrong on this? If anybody here is a seller on Ebay, maybe you can explain this to me.

I agree 100% with you Sabrina! That is one of my pet peeves with ebay sellers! :grrr:I feel like once I pay, I have completed my end of the sale and feedback should immediately represent that. Instead, there are so many sellers now who refuse to post feedback until the buyer posts a satisfactory feedback rating. As a sometime seller ( but more often buyer) on ebay, I always leave feedback as soon as payment is received.
That is just my two cents.

Lisa

Quiltlady
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Well after me having ALL positive feedbacks for all of my 158 transactions...a Seller recently left me a negative one.

I won a ring...I sent my check...he notified thru ebay after 4 days he didn't get my check. AFter I notified my bank I saw that he DID get and cashed my check. Then he said he sent out the item. After FOUR weeks I emailed him I wanted a refund. He said the item must have gotten "lost in the mail". So he said he's send me a refund check. I still haven't gotten it after two weeks.

I left him negative feedback and he did the same for me...the CREEP. He was the one in the wrong and LIED ..not me.

janelanespaintbrush
07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone! Long time no see. (Sorry.) I like the new OT section. It'll be a good place for me to come to hang out with the KH community despite my ongoing (and completely inexplicable) knitting slump.

Anyhoo.

I don't blame anyone (buyer or seller) who doesn't want to leave FB first. When I was a ebay newbie, I naively left a neg when my emails inquiries as to why I hadn't received my item went unanswered for several weeks; to my dismay, the seller gave me a retaliatory neg, essentially saying that I was a liar. It hurt so much that I wouldn't leave anyone a neg now regardless of how bad an experience I had just because I never want to be slandered that way again. I'd rather say nothing than be punished for being honest, you know? Sad, but true. Luckily, I find that most sellers are stellar, and I almost always leave ridiculously effusive positives shortly after I receive my goodies. On the flip side, I've only sold a few things, but have always waited to leave FB until after I knew my buyers were happy, which thankfully, has always been the case.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that lot of sellers have automated systems that generate positive FB after receiving the same from a buyer. If I were a high-volume seller, I'd definitely consider something like that.

mel.b
07-17-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm another one that is bugged by sellers who don't leave feedback until after you have posted, although I do understand the reason behind it.

I've left negative feedback once - I purchased an electric golf buggy for my dad. It came with several parts missing and broken. I contacted the seller and no response. Contacted again - no response. Contacted 3 times over 3 weeks and nothing. As it was getting close to the time when the opportunity to leave feedback was closing I left negative feedback stating they had not responded to emails about a damaged item. They immediately sent me negative feedback with the comment 'poor communication!' It then went through mediation to be resolved. Later, reading some of their feedback, people had given them a positive rating, but left negative comments - I think people are afraid of retelliation if they leave negative feedback.

Mel.b

auburnchick
07-17-2007, 08:48 AM
The whole retaliation thing is why I used the neutral option. It doesn't lower your percentage, but it gets your point across, if necessary.

GinnyG
07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I ABSOLUTELY agree with you!!!!

The entire feedback system on ebay is a FARCE. I have written them letters with little response other than "that's the way it is".

I have purchsed hundreds of items on ebay and only had a problem once but because of the way sellers post AFTER the buyer there is no way for the buyer to leave an honest feedback. I left feedback indicating that the sale was not to my satisfaction and the seller came back and left negative feedback for me, I DID NOTHING WRONG (except maybe expect to receive the item I paid for intact and in the condition described).

After many emails back and forth with ebay, they would not help. Their position is they will only remove feedback if you go TO COURT AND PROVE IT TO BE LIBALOUS, the only way I could have the negative feedback removed was to agree to mutually remove both my feedback and theirs. So the bad seller got away with a bad deal.

I believe the seller should HAVE TO leave their feedback for the buyer. If I have paid for an item promptly and held up my end of the deal then the seller should NOT be allowed to say anything negative just because I am not happy with their performance.

I love ebay and shop almost daily on the site. But I no longer hold their feedback to be of any value.

SabrinaJL
07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, that is my concern too. That I'll be unhappy with the item or service and will get negative feedback just for that. Interestingly enough, after I posted this thread, I got feedback from a seller that I purchased some Ashford hand carders from and it was before I left them feedback. That's the first time it has ever happened.

cheesiesmom
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I've never had a problem with getting negative feedback from a seller, and most disputes I've managed to work out. What bugs me on Ebay though is they treat neutral feed back the same as negative, warning you that it can't be rescinded, etc. I have had purchases where the transaction was less than satisfactory but didn't warrant a 'Negative' response. Not every purchase is going to leave you filled with unending joy and not every seller deserves a A#1++++++++ feedback. A neutral response shouldn't be looked at as negative, but simply, well, neutral.