PDA

View Full Version : Using snaps for baby clothes...

Krystal
07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I still have another 4 inches before I get to the "button holes" on my baby sweater (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTdaisy.html). I wanted to use a zipper instead and just skip the holes, but my mom is not comfortable sewing a zipper, and I have no sewing skills at all. I really don't want to use buttons because I know what a pain they can be with babies.

I want to use snaps, but my mom thinks they will pull too much on the yarn and ruin the knitting.

I am using worsted weight Red Heart Soft, so the fabric it's making is pretty dense. I made a a swatch, (which isn't as dense since I had a larger needle) so I may do a sample snap on that to see how it pulls.

But I still want to know people's opinion about using no sew snaps with hand knits.

thanks!

Jan in CA
07-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I think if you are going to use snaps you need to take special care. I am attempting it at the moment on a baby sweater. I hand sewed a strip of "stay tape" along both front edges which keeps the edge firmer and it won't stretch now. I am planning to use buttons on one side and the snap on the other. I have no idea how well it'll work so time will tell. Buttons and buttonholes are the easiest and best method, but my design didn't work well with them.

Krystal
07-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Thank you!

Guess I am sticking with the button holes. Makes it easier for me at least. :)