PDA

View Full Version : I'm new! What next?

Bug
07-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Bug!

I've just started knitting and i'm currently knitting a scarf (probably the most common first knit).
I dont want to spend forever knitting scarves, so what should I do next? I don't really know much about knitting or wool or needles or anything. What kind of projects would you suggest? I don't want to do something too difficult. I'd love to knit a pair of socks, but I've seem pictures where there are 4 needles!!! So I'm thinking that's maybe too hard for me at the moment.
I can knit and purl, but that's it.

Any suggestions/tips/hints?
Love and hugs
Bug x

mulene
07-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Hello and welcome!

The best thing you can do at the start is practice practice practice. You can move on to other things fairly quickly but I found practicing by making scarves helped me to get the flow of my stitches and get used to holding the needles worked well.

Knitting is two stitches only. Knit and Purl. What you do with those stitches and how you twist and turn them is what makes the patterns unique. You could try dishcloths for pattern testing, or I do highly recommend socks from silvers tutorial. (www.cometosilver.com) Socks aren't anywhere NEAR as hard as people think and they look so cool - instant knitting gratification as they are small and quick to knit =D

auburnchick
07-17-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree with Mulene about the dishcloths. They are great, short projects that allow you to try out different stitches and give you the fastest satisfaction. Scarves can be long and boooorrrriiiinnnnggg.

If you're adventurous, you could try socks. However, if you don't want to feel overwhelmed, hold off on them for a bit. Give yourself some time to learn a few more things before diving in.

You could always practice some knitting in the round. The Black Sheep Booga bag (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) is a very easy project for a newbie. You will learn how to knit in the round, pick up stitches, and do an i-cord, along with felting. It sounds like a lot, but trust me...it's easy. And we're here if you have questions. Or, you could do a hat. That's a great way to learn how to knit in the round and how to use double pointed needles (dpns)...and will give you practice for doing those socks you are admiring.

My rule of thumb when starting out was to pick patterns in which I would have to learn one new stitch or concept. Each pattern got a bit more challenging.

Have fun and welcome to this forum. It's such a WONDERFUL place! :muah:

Mystery_Gyrl
07-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Howdy, Bug:
A satchel/bag can be a nice easy project, minimum shaping and if you choose a pattern that felts accidents are often hidden well.
Don't sweat the four (or three) needles used when making socks, socks can also be done on two circular needles or one loooong circular needle (magic loop method), plus they are handy portable projects. Once you are comfortable with your knitting skills, socks are really not that much of a problem to make when you have good instructions.
Katrina
PS. Interweave knits has a nice "simple" free pattern up currently called "Summertime Tunic" by Katie Himmelberg. That many KHers have done so there is plenty of help on the board if you want to make something to wear.

marykz
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello and welcome!! I'd suggest browsing the free patterns here and at knittingpatternscentral.com and look for something you love! If you are determined and want it- you can do it!!! my first "real " project after scarves and dishcloths was the Anthropologie inspired capelet (there are several threads about it here and craftster) which was really great. a few new techniques but a fairly short project that almost always gives fabulous results.

Knitting_Guy
07-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome to KH!

I subscribe to the opposite stance as many in that I say jump right in and do socks. They're fun to do, teach you a lot of great things like increases and decreases, and are a reasonably quick project.

I much prefer doing them on one circular using the Magic Loop technique, but doing a pair on DPNS is surely a learning experience. A pair of socks following Silver's Sock Class was my second project and I think it helped my over all knitting skills a great deal.

scubasinger
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I did a bathroom rug as a first project, using a King Charles brocade pattern. It was an intricate-enough multi-line pattern so I didn't get too bored. At the same time, it was a large enough project that I got LOTS of practice at executing knits and purls. It was also useful: I still walk on it every morning.

psammeadred
07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Socks are fun and addicting! Plus, one pair of socks' worth of yarn is cheaper than buying a sweater's worth of yarn. Socks are also very portable.

Braden
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree with Mason--just do socks. They're very easy. I do mine on 2 circulars, from the toe up. Another great project is a hat, and scarves are okay if they have some kind of pattern/texture to them.

Lobug
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
One of my favorite project is Fingerless Mitts by Ann Budd. It's in the book "Weekend Knitting" It's a really fast project, so you get the satisfaction of a FO quickly. Its also really easy, and will teach you only a few new techniques: short-row shaping (which she explains clearly) and the 3-needle b.o., which is a lot easier than it sounds. The Mitts are in garter st. so is a great way to practice the knit st. too!

Bug
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
what are circulars and how would i know what type of wool to use?
I'm so much a newbie it's unreal!

Bug

Bug
07-17-2007, 10:56 AM
what is the difference between a garter stitch and a knit stitch?

stirsmommy
07-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, I am rather new to it all too. I started with the world's ugliest scarf. Trust me it was bad. The stitches were even but the color, shape etc was awful. Then I made slippers. Since I am the sort of person who just jumps in I went straight for the wonderful wallaby sweater for my son. It has some challenges like pattern reading and knitting in the round but it is all doable. Oh the dpn's for the sleeves were definitely challenge.:hair: It is nearly done and I have to see a friend about a pattern question so I can get those needles back for my daughter's wallaby. I also made a bag in the meantime and have started a couple of different scarves using cables and lace. I seem to have a lot on my needles but that is just so if I get stuck on something I have something else to do. I have rapidly become obsessive!

loveswildflowers
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with Auburn Chick that the Booga Bag makes a great second project. It was mine and I found it a great second step for me with some challenge, but no frustration.

Sharly
07-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi! Welcome to the flock! (Get it? Sheep, wool, all that stuff:rofling:

Anyway - you've begun an obsession, here, you realize that, right? I'm of a more cautious nature (and a tightwad), so I would suggest picking up a nice cotton and going for a dishcloth. There are a ton of patterns and you can still learn new techniques. I made the mistake of making my first one from acrylic. I didn't know any better. It turned out great, but boy, that thing will NEVER dry out!

By the way, you mentioned you can only knit and purl. Well, guess what? That's all there is! There are only two stitches in knitting and you know them all! Good for you!!:cheering:

Whatever you decide to do, just have fun with it!!

suzeeq
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Circulars are two short needles joined with a cord. They come in different lengths and you can use them to knit a hat, mittens, socks or sweaters with no seams if you knit in the round. They can also be used like flat needles, just turn them at the end of the row and knit back and forth.

Garter stitch is when you knit every row, stockinette stitch is when you knit a row, purl a row. That's when you're knitting flat pieces; if you knit in the round, you do the reverse to get the stitch pattern.

mwedzi
07-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I say do what you like. I would have been bored to tears if I had to do a bunch of dishcloths or scarves, they just don't interest me much. So I made a hat (which was just a rectangle, actually, sewn up), 1 dishcloth, and then I made a tank top.

Stiney
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Welcome to KH!

I subscribe to the opposite stance as many in that I say jump right in and do socks. They're fun to do, teach you a lot of great things like increases and decreases, and are a reasonably quick project.

I agree with Mason, except that you can substitute "socks" with anything knit. It's just string--if you mess up, it's not the end of the world. Just unravel it and try again.

Welcome! :waving:

Knitting_Guy
07-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Garter stitch means you just use the knit stitch, no purling.

Mystery_Gyrl
07-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Maybe you might like to try this Spiral Bed Socks pattern:
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/Downloads/MdWeigelsMay1948SpiralBedSocks.pdf
Since older British terminology is used you might not be familiar with, No. 12 needles would be equivalent to today's 2.75 mm needles (http://www.yarnforward.com/needleconv.html) and 3 ply and 4 ply wool are equivalent to fingering/sock weight or sport weight yarn respectively. You can get use to working with dpns (or ciculars) before you dive into doing heel work with full fledge socks and get comfortable with the purl stitch (some people are not fond of the purl stitch) by using this pattern I would think.
Katrina

PS. You could probably change the lengths of the socks if you wanted.

panchita
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
I made about 50 scarves when I first learned (it was Christmas.. alright!! geez). What made it fun for me was all the different kinds of yarn available and pairing them together. I gave most of them away.

Cell phone and digital camera cozies or little bags are fun and quick, too. Just rectangles with little seams up the sides.

Ask someone at a yarn shop for help recommending yarns, patterns, etc. They folks at my LYS are very sweet and helpful. I go in with my projects and questions... they help me out straight away.

Bug
07-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Wow everyone, thank you so much for all your advice! I'm nearly finished my scarf, i'm on my 3rd and last ball of yarn and this time my join was soooooooo much neater!
I can't wait to finish it. There are holes in it and dropped stitches but hey for a first attempt i'm happy :-)

We shall see how adventurous I'm feeling once I am finished my scarf :-)

Will probably need to get some more needles, I've only got 1 set of size 10 needles.

Thanks again, and if you get anymore ideas them please let me know!

Love and hugs
Bug x

callagain
07-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't be afraid of socks! They're fun and addicting and can go everywhere with you! Just remember - there may be 4 needles but you only knit with 2 at a time :)

suzeeq
07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Are your size 10 needles US or UK 10s? If US, they can be pretty versatile.

Bug
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh my excellent question, US or UK.....I *think* they are US, they are something like 6mm? oh why couldn't the whole world just use the mm as the size rather than making up something new :-S

lol

Bug

suzeeq
07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Yep, 6mm is US 10. That's a really good size, for scarves, hats, mittens, sweaters, just about anything. And there's patterns for all those items for straight needles, not just circulars.