PDA

View Full Version : New Member...

d.brissenden
07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Diana Brissenden and I am a new member here at the forum.
I am 54 yrs old and I live in Upstate NY. I have one son and two grandchildren. Alley,12 & Christopher,10.
I am a person who is teaching herself how to knit. I have always crocheted and have done so all of my life. But lately I had gotten tired of doing crocheting and wanted to try my hand at knitting. So I have been buying books upon books to teach myself. I am sorry to say that I haven't gotten past the basic pearl and knit stitches. I am right now trying to find time to make a simple dishcloth, which should be easy.
Well, I hope that I can get to know some of you in this forum. I am very excited about being here.

Secksiebrat
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Welcome! This website/forum is wonderful. The vidoes are really good too and there are lots of free patterns here! The ladies/gentlmen here are just wonderful so feel free to ask questions and show off some of your work!

:muah:

~danielle~

ah
07-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Welcome! I find out all sorts of great things here.

d.brissenden
07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Diana Brissenden and I am a new member here at the forum.
I am 54 yrs old and I live in Upstate NY. I have one son and two grandchildren. Alley,12 & Christopher,10.
I am a person who is teaching herself how to knit. I have always crocheted and have done so all of my life. But lately I had gotten tired of doing crocheting and wanted to try my hand at knitting. So I have been buying books upon books to teach myself. I am sorry to say that I haven't gotten past the basic pearl and knit stitches. I am right now trying to find time to make a simple dishcloth, which should be easy.
Well, I hope that I can get to know some of you in this forum. I am very excited about being here.
I am looking forward to seeing everything in this forum. I am really confused right now. I have never used this type of e-mailing system before.
But Thank you for the come back. I do hope that we can get to know each other in the coming days.

chrislt8
07-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Welcome Diana! This is the most friendly and helpful site I have ever been on...anything you are confused about, just post it and someone (or many someones!) will provide you with an answer or guidance. I learned from books as well - that is until I found this site and just by reading all the posts and watching the videos I have absorbed so much information that has made the learning process easier. Have fun! Chris

PCwombat
07-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi! This really is a great place online. Sooo many great people! Definitely post anything you're unsure about.

As for knitting, once you know how to do a knit stitch and a purl stitch, you can make pretty much anything! All other stitches are just variants of those.

jjminarcik
07-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Welcome! :waving:

This is the best place in the world!

Bug
07-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Welcome! I'm new here too and am very new to knitting, you will find lots of friendly help and advice here!
:hug:

d.brissenden
07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi ChrisIt8,
thank you for the reply and Information. I am just trying figure out how to reply I hope that this gets to you all right. :lol: Just let me know so I know that I am doing this right. :lol:

d.brissenden
07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi there PCwombat,
Thank you for the information. I do know how to do the basic stitches in knitting I am just finding myself taking everything out and apart when I make a mistake. I haven't learned how to pick up a lost stitch yet and I am having trouble with taking a stitch back to do it over again.

nik
07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello!
You got a lot further than I did by myself. I couldn't even cast on! :)

Anyways there is a video here that shows you how to pick up a dropped stitch. Having a crochet hook makes it a lot easier. After I took my first class I just kept watching the videos here and trying new things. Once you get over the initial hurdle(s) it's a lot easier!

Do you know about lifelines? That might help you a lot too (there's a video for this as well :D)

chrislt8
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Diana, you are more than welcome :lol:

Just so you know, when you are making a reply in a forum (that's what this is) all the comments are there for everyone to read - they don't go to the individual people. If you wanted to send a "private" message to just one person, you can click on their name and then an option will come up on the list that pops down to "private message" them - that will go directly to that person only in their e-mail.

Most conversations are just posted to the threads (that's what a specific subject/conversation is on the forum - so this conversation is a THREAD in the GENERAL KNITTING FORUM) and it's like a great big knitting bee where everyone is there to help everyone else out.

If you need help learning how to do the "computer thing" feel free to go to my name and hit the Private Message button and e-mail me - or post it here (just hit reply) and I'll check back in later to see if you had any question - I'll be glad to help you figure it all out.

Don't be intimidated and don't worry about making "mistakes" - we're all here to talk about knitting (ANYTHING about knitting!) and we'll help you learn how to use the forum too! Chris