PDA

View Full Version : My Sweet little boy...

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Loves to watch my knit. He will sit with me and unwraps the yarn for me as I go along.

Last night he says to me (while knitting of course) "Mommy, can you teach me how to knit?" So I told him the next time he goes with me to the LYS he can pick out some yarn and I would teach him. Well we were there last night and he picked out his yarn. So tonight, we will sit and I will try my hardest to teach my 6 y.o.s. how to knit.

cftwo
07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
How cute!

sylvia
07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
that is to cute
i taught my 6 year old grandaughter to knit
i have forgotten the knitting ryhme
i cant remember now
but we chanted it together and in 2 or 3 lessons she is knitting
sylvia

Ingrid
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Both my grandsons learned to knit. Last summer the six year old was sitting and knitting with my son's girlfriend and me. He doesn't do it often, but he did learn.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I am just hoping that my future step-children dont give him a hard time about it. :pray: I think that it is fine for a boy to knit. Rosie Greer (NFL player) knitted. It helped him with his focus and hand eye cordination.

kemp
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
That is so adorable. I hope the steps are nice about it. Maybe you can get them all knitting?

Ingrid
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Show them Mason's truck.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
That is so adorable. I hope the steps are nice about it. Maybe you can get them all knitting?

Hannah (The step daughter) wants to learn also. Jack (The step son) I dont think will have any interest what so ever. This will be a true test of my patience. :shifty:

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Show them Mason's truck.

Mason's Truck? :?? You need to fill me in.

Mariblue
07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
That's sweet about your boy. Knitting is great for fine motor skills, as well. I hope to teach my 2 kids (4 and 7) to knit also.

Mason is a member here on KH known as Knitting_Guy (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=62384). He's a truck driver. Actually, there are several guys here at Knitting Help, and all are really great knitters. So, if anyone gives your son a hard time, just tell them about some of the men here on KH!

LeslieA
07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Awww that's so cute. My daughter wants to learn also. She has tried but she is very impatient. So she gets frustrated. But when she gets it it is very cute. lol

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Awww that's so cute. My daughter wants to learn also. She has tried but she is very impatient. So she gets frustrated. But when she gets it it is very cute. lol

I have never tried to "teach" Chris something. So I dont know how frustrated he will get. But Hannah on the other hand has ZERO patience so she may be harder to teach.

Jan in CA
07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I have never tried to "teach" Chris something. So I dont know how frustrated he will get. But Hannah on the other hand has ZERO patience so she may be harder to teach.

Just remind them that even you took awhile to learn and had to practice a lot for your stitches to be even like they are now. I think it's great that he wants to learn!

cheesiesmom
07-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Found these for ya:

Purl Rhymes

In front of the fence,
Catch the goat,
Back we go,
Jump off the boat!

Under the fence,
Catch the sheep,
Back we come,
Off we leap!

Knit Rhyme
"In through the front door,
once around the back,
peek through the window,
and off jumps jack".

Have fun with your little guy.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I love the rhymes! They are my favorite.

Nobones
07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I think it's great your teaching your little boy to knit.

I read Russel Crowe was taught to knit as kid by his Grandmother, Samuel L Jackson is also seen knitting between takes. I'd love someone to tell them knitting isn't for real men!

Debbie
07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
When I taught my grand daughter at 5 years old, we started out with her sitting in my lap and "throwing" for me. Now, at 7 she can pick up her needles and knit away. She doesn't knit more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time.... I think she mostly just likes to say ... Grandma Debbie, I am going to go get my knitting ...

Songbirdy
07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I taught my son to knit this winter. He is 7. He would sit in front of me on the sofa. We'd pull his project in front of us. I had him hold the needles and we'd say the rhymes (but we made our own more "cooler" ones) and I'd help him so that he'd not get it wrong.

We only did about 5 minutes of knitting every other day or so.

He can do it fairly well on his own. He does tend to loose stitches as he forgets to slip off the stitch every time and then tries to do several at a time.

But it worked.

My rule was, every time I started to feel annoyed I called it quits. I figured I had better stop before I "ruin" the experience.

And that left him always wanting more so he'd bring up the subject later on and desire more. Not a bad thing to have in a student!

Knit Mom
07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I taught my son to knit this winter. He is 7. He would sit in front of me on the sofa. We'd pull his project in front of us. I had him hold the needles and we'd say the rhymes (but we made our own more "cooler" ones) and I'd help him so that he'd not get it wrong.

He can do it fairly well on his own. He does tend to loose stitches as he forgets to slip off the stitch every time and then tries to do several at a time.

But it worked.

My rule was, every time I started to feel annoyed I called it quits. I figured I had better stop before I "ruin" the experience.

And that left him always wanting more so he'd bring up the subject later on and desire more. Not a bad thing to have in a student!

That is some great advice. Thanks! I cant wait till Chris and I get to spend some time together to try.

G J
07-20-2007, 10:03 AM

But it worked.

Please share your "cooler" rhymes! I often teach high school age special ed kids to knit and I'd love "cooler" rhymes!

newamy
07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
It's great he wants to knit.

BTW Rosie Greer did needle point.

jumboneedle
07-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Good luck!

Knit Mom
07-23-2007, 09:47 AM
So over the weekend Chris and I sat together and I showed him how to knit. He loved it! We are making a pot holder for his Nana.

pandaca
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Aww...your son sounds adorable!

I made a top for my friend's 4 yo daughter and when I gave it to her, she insisted that I teach her to knit. I handed her some cheap plastic needles and a skein of yarn and she went to town playing with them. A knitter in the making!

brookehanna
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Congrats on teaching your son! I'm sure he will be so proud when he has his first finished object!

My three year old has always been fascinated with my knitting. He's definately too young to do it on his own, but I do try to involve him when I can. He's been helping me pin my lizard ridge blocks. He keeps telling me he can be careful with the pins because he's a big boy. Man, they grow up so fast!

larudden
07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, I need a little person to teach! I don't think pugs would be able to learn. All Nora wants to do is chew my circs!

Holly
07-23-2007, 01:21 PM
How sweet! My 11 YO DS was trying to show me his entire collection of Pokemon (from his Nintendo DS). It was driving me crazy so I tried to explain that me looking at Pokemon would be like him having to look at and talk about all my knitting WIP. I said "how about we stop looking at Pokemon, and I'll show you all my knitting?" Surprisingly (or should I say it all backfired on me) when he said "OK, Mom. As soon as we look at ALL my Pokemon, we'll look at your knitting" :lol:

Knit Mom
07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Congrats on teaching your son! I'm sure he will be so proud when he has his first finished object!

My three year old has always been fascinated with my knitting. He's definately too young to do it on his own, but I do try to involve him when I can. He's been helping me pin my lizard ridge blocks. He keeps telling me he can be careful with the pins because he's a big boy. Man, they grow up so fast!

They grow up WAY to fast. It seems like just yesterday when I woke up every morning with him in my bed. Now it's, "No, Mom, I don't want to get up!!":lol:

AussieYank
07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
How sweet! My 11 YO DS was trying to show me his entire collection of Pokemon (from his Nintendo DS). It was driving me crazy so I tried to explain that me looking at Pokemon would be like him having to look at and talk about all my knitting WIP. I said "how about we stop looking at Pokemon, and I'll show you all my knitting?" Surprisingly (or should I say it all backfired on me) when he said "OK, Mom. As soon as we look at ALL my Pokemon, we'll look at your knitting" :lol:

LOL! My boys are complete Pokemon addicts and talk about it all the time. I call it "The Pokemon Lecture Series"! But I have taught my 12 year old son to knit. He made a ribbed scarf for his friend to wear on their Canberra/Sydney trip next month and is making a camouflage scarf for himself. I'm proud of him!