PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about sock yarns

abunchofus
07-20-2007, 01:50 AM
ok - tell me your likes/dislikes and pros/cons to these types of sock yarns please.

1. Kona Superwash -

2. SuperSock -
. . . . . is this what Cherry Tree Hill uses as a base for their yarns? that is the one place I've seen the actual term "supersock" so I wondered.

3. BFL Ultra -

4. Tencel / superwash merino blend -
. . . . . I know that the tencel adds a sheen - but what other aspects of this type of blend do you like or don't like?

5. bamboo / superwash merino / nylon blend -

mwedzi
07-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Wish I could tell you more. I just finished knitting a sock with Yarn Pirate 50% merino 50% tencel blend. The tencel does add a sheen, but a lot of that sheen was lost when I washed the sock. The tencel adds strength, I'm told, but I know that it also makes it less sproingy. The yarn I knit with had comparatively little elasticity. Can't speak to the wear, yet, as it's only one sock still.

abunchofus
07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
interesting that it lost its sheen after you washed it :think: wonder why it did that? and wonder if all tencel blends do that?

Well I ordered 4 oz of undyed of #2, 3, 4 and 5. so I'll get to compare.

I wish I could find some undyed worsted weight superwash to make my kiddos some socks! I want undyed so I can dye it myself!

1to1
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
These are the only sock yarns that I have used:

Lorna's Lace - this yarn is wonderfully soft and easy to knit with, use Size 1 Addi.
Trekking - nice yarn, easy to knit with, use Size 1 Addi.
Moda Dea Sassy Stripes - This is a great yarn for 1st timers. Knits up fast, use Size 4.

Dislikes:

Cascade Fixation - I like knitting with this yarn but I used a Size 4 and the socks are not comfortable to wear. They feel like you're walking on peebles. Next time will try with a Size 2.

I'm interested in seeing what others say about other yarns that I haven't tried yet.

sugarfunpouch
07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I just like yarn that works for the pattern! For other things I usually improvise, but with socks, wellllll...that's another story.

Brrlracinbt
07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
My new favorite is Lang Jawoll. It is soft and great to work with. Plus is has a spool of reinforcment thread in it. I am using size 2, but wished I used size 1. I discovered this AFTER the first sock was done!!!

redheadrachel
07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I'm newer to sock knitting. I've only used Online brand, since by LYS only has a couple different sock yarns, but I've had really great results from Online. Good luck :D