PDA

View Full Version : Thread for those who have read Deathly Hallows (SPOILERS!!!!!)

PCwombat
07-21-2007, 06:36 PM
So, I've finished! And, wow. It's just such a weird feeling to be done. But, I loved it. Sooo much. I've read a bunch of people complaining about it, but I don't care. It was great.

I am soooooo sad about Fred. The twins are two of my favorite characters. And, how great was George about him being saintlike.

Neville completely kicked butt. How amazing and great and wonderful he was. And, as for kicking butt, go Molly!! "You're not taking my daughter, you b*tch!"

And, even though it was sort of short and the names were...interesting, I liked the epilogue. So sue me, I'm a romantic, I like happy endings.

Kreacher leading the house elf army was awesome.

misstialouise
07-21-2007, 07:41 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!

I finished it at 1:15 this morning (in Australia)... I cried at least 7 times through the whole book.

I bawled when Fred died, cried when I found out both Remus & Tonks had died (Surely Harry had to be getting images of poor little Teddy and him being parentless), was hugely releived as Harry went through Snapes memories, BAWLED as Harry walked towards his death, and from there on in, basically snivelled my way though the rest of the book.

The final fight scene was amazing!

And Kreacher!! GO KREACHER!!! :D

And Hagrid, walking through the forest, carrying Harry.. having a go at the Centaurs!!! WOO!!!

The epilogue was a good 'foresight'... although, it has left me wondering about the in between bit...

kahluakiggy
07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh, I cried so hard reading this - mostly when Snape died and his memories. I cried again when Harry told his son that Snape had been one of the bravest men he had known. But oh, was I happy about that, because my Snape theories were right on!!! George's ear kind of freaked me out, honestly, and PERCY!! I have never been so happy to hear from him, and he made a joke!!**GASP!!**
lol I cheered out loud for Molly - my husband thought I was nuts! I was really glad that JKR didn't decide that Malfoy and the trio had to be friends after they saved him. The curt nod on the platform was perfect - it made the ending a little less Disney. lol KREACHER!!! I was so excited to see him at the end! I'm glad he stayed with Harry. My husband is reading right now, and most hasn't sunk in yet. I loved it, I can't wait to see what everyone else thought!

traceleighj
07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
I think that I am still in shock over the whole thing! I cried, I laughed and I am just stunned. I can't believe it's done. Now what?!?!?! Oh, start to listen to it on cd and then read the whole series over again.

I too was correct in my Snape theory as well as my shipping wishes!

DreamWeaver
07-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I just finished the book. Wow. Just... wow.

My big sister (being the saint that she is) let me read the book first, and it's so annoying, because I want to discuss it with her. AAAAUGGGGGG!!!!

Okay. I'm calm now ^_^

I loved the entire thing, but my favorite moments were when Neville was acting all cool-like for the DA, when Percy was acting all cool-like for his family, and when Kreacher was finally being nice. But I have to say, My absolute favorite part was Mrs. Weasly soon-to-be infamous line: "YOU'RE NOT TAKING MY DAUGHTER, YOU B*TCH!!!" :teehee:

misstialouise
07-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Who else cried out "NOOOO!!" when Dobby died??

Bawled, I did... bawled!!!

And .. GO ABERFORTH!

PCwombat
07-21-2007, 11:35 PM
DreamWeaver, as long as your sister isn't "saintlike." :)

Misstialouise, while I'm the saddest over Fred's death, Dobby's death hit me the hardest emotionally at that moment. So sad. :(

And thank goodness Ron and Hermione got together. Took ya long enough, JKR.

cougarchick
07-22-2007, 03:16 AM
I just got done reading this book and wow she has really done a great job. I am glad that Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny got together. I wish it wasn't over :cry: I will miss Harry but I am so happy that she didn't kill him off.

IBAmyB
07-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Just finished it!

Oh man, I cried every time someone "good" died: Hedwig, Mad-Eye, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks... even Snape! (Did I miss anyone?) I bawled when Dobby died! He's my favorite! (I am so disappointed they have left him out of the 4th and 5th movies!) I am glad she didn't "kill off" any of the main three. I think it woud have been too traumatic!

Yay, for Kreacher, and Snape! I knew they couldn't be all that bad, especially Snape! Neville is a hero! Good for him, since he was almost "The Chosen One"! Molly's line to Bellatrix was classic! :thumbsup: Ron and Hermonine kissing furiously when when Ron suggested they save the Hogwarts house-elves, love it! :cheering:

I loved all the "minor" references to the other books! Anybody else catch Herminone's line to Ron about "Are you a wizard, or what?" when he was trying to find out how to push the spot on the Whomping Willow without Crookshanks? He said pretty much the same to her when they were trying to get past the Devil's Snare in Book 1 and she was trying to figure out how to light a fire without wood! :lol:

I am so pleased with this book. It was nice to see everything "come together.

misstialouise
07-22-2007, 06:14 AM
And thank goodness Ron and Hermione got together. Took ya long enough, JKR.

I thought they were together in HBP .??

Cia
07-22-2007, 06:46 AM
I finnished the book at 2 in the morn, central europe time, and what a book... I've grown up with harry, when he was eleven i was eleven... and so has it been throughout the series...
I always liked snape more than most characters though... and I was talking to a friend on friday (a non Harry Potter reading friend I might add) about how I wished that it would turn out that Snape only acted on Dumbledor's orders when he killed him, and it turns out I was right! There were many tragic losses ofcourse, and some parts of the book did remind of Hitler and the holocaust (is that the english word? Appologize if it isn't). Yet I can't help being happy that everything ended so nicely, though I do wonder if Harry did become an auror in the end...

Cia
07-22-2007, 06:58 AM

Me too, poor dobby he was a wonderful little thing no doubts... Well I always had a soft spot for semi-ugly fairytale creatures... My whole family looked strangely at me when i cried out...

psammeadred
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm still horribly depressed over my beloved Remus and Tonks. At least all the faithful Marauders are together again, probably driving Lily and Tonks nuts somewhere. (Now that's a story I'd like to read - the adventures of Moony, Padfoot, & Prongs!)

I totally pegged Snape and Neville, but I wish Neville had taken out Bellatrix and Remus had taken out Greyback.

It may take me a bit to get over this one...

SusanAnn
07-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I finished it at 1.a.m. this morning, I'm really glad that lots of other people were mad enough to stay up reading it as well:lol:

My favourite bit was when Molly finally lets out all that pent up domestic energy and goes for Bellatrix : "YOU'RE NOT TAKING MY DAUGHTER, YOU B*TCH!!!" ....has to be the line of the book

Sigh...but of course, my favourite three characters die: Snape, Remus and Tonks...I was so glad about Snape, I'd guessed about him and Lily...had to wake up my husband to tell him that I was right...he didn't seem terribly impressed for some reason:shrug:

Ahh Snape....I feel he deserves a book in himself, but shouldn't he be in Gryffindor, his inherent nobility, his capacity for self -sacrifice? I agree with Dumbledore when he says: You know, I sometimes think we Sort too soon......." Although when Snape dies at least for once Slytherin can claim to have the hero, I always thought that the four house divisions were very annoying, and by blurring a few of the boundaries I guess it gives us all more hope for the future.

Kreacher rocks:heart:....I love that bit when he wants to hit Mundungus again with the frying pan: " Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck? "

I also adore Aberforth...funny enough my husband who has only read a few of the books, had a lot of criticisms of Dumbledore...he thought that by never telling anyone the total truth he was to blame for a lot of things that happened in the other books....to me it was very interesting to read about Dumbledores early life, and to find him a more flawed being than you imagine in the first few books.

And now I had better go and take a nap....................

divagirl
07-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I wept for Tonks and Lupin, they were two of my favorites, and Fred and Mad Eye! It didn't hit me at first, but when Harry was thinking of him as strong and constant protector - forget it. I was running for the tissues. I had really hoped something truly evil would happen to Umbridge, a well placed stunning spell just wasn't enough punishment for her.

The epilogue was wonderful, but I wish we had heard more about the other characters.

My heart almost broke for Snape when we finally got his whole story too. What an amazing ride - I can't wait to share these sotries with my son!

HollyP
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Just finished about an hour ago! I loved the epilogue! It could have been a bit longer but I too am a sucker for happy endings. They all truly deserved one. Neville!!! I knew someday he would shine! Molly's line cracked me up. I could totally see her saying it, she is just that kind of Mom. Harry's journey to meet Voldemort in the Forbidden Forrest had me holding my breath. I thought Lily's eyes would play a bigger part than they did. Poor little Al what a name! Albus Severus Potter. I'm glad we got the tour through Snape's memories. It really did explain so much. In all I thought JKR did a great job answering all the unanswered questions. I do wish she had told us what Harry and the gang were doing as adults but I guess she had to leave something for our very active imaginations! Wow I am really rambling! Sorry!! Lack of sleep is my only excuse!

IBAmyB
07-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I bought a second copy of The Deathly Hallows! Hubby couldn't get a copy in Iraq ("shipping deplays", "sorry for the inconvience" he said they said... a bunch of Soldiers were unhappy that they didn't have Harry Potter books! Too funny! :teehee:), so I am sending him a copy from here... the one I bought on Friday night was already "promised" to be passed along to my dad! (Gotta keep the guys in my life happy!)

DQ
07-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I was trying to take my time with this one but I snapped and stayed up until 2 in the morning reading :passedout:

I thought it was great, but I think I've missed some bits after reading all of your comments :shock: I guess that's what happens when you're reading whilst tired!

I cried when Dobby died :pout: I was sad about the deaths i the main battle but I think they had to be there to underline how serious it had been whilst we were off following Harry's part of it all.

atsamom
07-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I finished late last night and shared the tears and thrills that so many of you experienced. But now I wish I had slowed down because I think I missed some meaning. I woke up this morning with one nagging question then I saw in my e-mails that I hadn't posted here in some time. I logged on - saw the Harry Potter thread - and realized one of you probably has some insight...so...with all the big moments in the book, one tiny moment is bugging me. What was the small crying child in the big room with Dumbledore after Harry "dies". JKR uses words like indecent, furtive, shameful. Then they manage to ignore its crying. Finally Dumbledore tells Harry not to pity the dead - but all the other dead in the book have been happy except for this small child. I was sort of assuming that this whole scene had overtones of Christianity - people die, see loved ones in heaven and are told to go back. But the crying child really bothers me and the fact that they ignore it. (Not to mention that Harry is naked during this - that will be fun to film, huh??!!) Am I missing something? Somebody shed some insight so I can move beyond this wierd moment and totally enjoy this reading experience!

kahluakiggy
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
What was the small crying child in the big room with Dumbledore after Harry "dies". JKR uses words like indecent, furtive, shameful. Then they manage to ignore its crying. Finally Dumbledore tells Harry not to pity the dead - but all the other dead in the book have been happy except for this small child.
I think it was the part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry - when Harry "died", so did that bit of soul.

I cried the hardest for Snape, he has been my favorite character for years. I cried again when I thought back to OotP, in "Snape's Worst Memory", because while I figured he loved Lily, I hadn't read OotP in that light. His memory is just heartwrenching taking his love for her into account. No wonder that was his worst.

Stiney
07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I finished yesterday...read most of it on the plane/in air ports, and finished while taking the shuttle from the airport to the subway to go home.

I started crying when Fred died (he was my favorite twin) and didn't stop.

I didn't like the epilogue...I wish she'd used the space to wrap up some of my more burning questions, rather than just a "Happily Ever After." I don't think the epilogue was necessary at all--it was sorta implied.

I'd like to see how the Wizarding world learned from this...what did Griphook think about Neville pulling Gryffindor's Sword out of the Sorting Hat, and how this would play into future wizard-goblin relations...how Neville has, in ways, been filling in Harry's shoes, and hints of how things might've played out different if Voldemort marked Neville instead of Harry. If we had to have a flash forward, what do Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron do? Did they become Aurors?

As much as I loved the final battle, there are parts that weren't shown that I wish I had seen. I'm mad that Tonks AND Lupin died, and that both happened off-screen.

nonny2t
07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
We got the book around 1 PM on Saturday, right after that I slipped in the kitchen and dislocated my knee again so I have been confined to a chair most of the weekend or the walker when I needed to get up and go to the bathroom and such. I got the book finished by Saturday night and got a lot of knitting accomplished too.

My observations:

I kept saying to everyone I was sure Snape killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's orders because of Hagrid overhearing them arguing about Snape having to finish something, which was correct. I also kept telling everyone that to really end the series, Voldemort had to die or it would be left with everyone wondering what happened to the wizarding community and she swore she tied up all the ends.

I cried when Fred, Lupin, Tonks and Harry I thought had died. I kept saying, "oh no!" and Jack kept saying what, did someone else die? He looked at the end before reading so he knew Harry didn't die, but I wanted it to be a surprise either way. It was a terrific book. I loved the epilogue and thought that was a cool touch.

Reading through everyone's comments is fun because no one has the same opinion. Some liked this and hated that, some wanted this to happen or that to happen. A truly gift author makes the book live on and on because of discussions like this. She is a superb storyteller and this book series will become a true classic that lives through generations.

nonny2t
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM

And .. GO ABERFORTH!

ME! Jack was like, "What's wrong, what's wrong?"

BostonBecca
07-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I caved and read it in about 6 hours last night. Insomnia helped me read it. I simply could not sleep and thought reading more would help me get to sleep. It didn't.

I was fine when it wasn't in my hands, but once we decided to come to my parents house for dinner last night and it was here, I could not resist.

I liked the ending, it was very clever to have Harry die and not die. I always did float the idea to my brother and sister that Harry could be a Horcrux, am sort of shocked it turned out to be true in a way.

Yarnlady
07-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I just finished listening to it. OMG... I cried when Dobby died, when Percy showed up, when Fred died, when Teddy was born, when Lupin & Tongks died, when Snape died and when Harry watched his memories.... I cried alot. When Harry walked into the forest...when Dumbledore reappeared and told his story.

I worried when the three, then two, were in hiding. I worried about Luna...

Neville rocks! I always knew he had it in him.

It's one of the best books I've ever read. It carried my interest all the way through, had plot twists that ended up making sense and were not there just to throw us off or add interest.

I had figured out Dumbledore "made" Snape kill him. I figured out Snape was a good guy. I feel bad that he suffered through all the distrust and hatred without every being able to defend himself. I love that his love for Lily outweighed his hatred for James enough to protect Harry I really thought Draco would have turned out to be better than I thought.

I loved the kids' names...especially Scorpius.

Thank you JK!

PaperGirl
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Didnt read the whole thread...*DH is over my shoulder*

But am I the only one who was sad when Hedwig died? :(

Spikey
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Honestly, I thought when Hedwig died, it was one of the saddest parts of the book!! Not that I wasn't sad about the others, but to have her go when she was still mad at Harry was upsetting.

syndactylus
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Someone please explain to me how it makes any sense at all that Voldemort didn't make an eighth horcrux thinking it was the seventh since he didn't know that one was shoved off into Harry when he tried to kill him the first time.

I have been stewing over it since saturday, and am only getting more and more peevish as time passes.

Stiney
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe he was still planning on using Harry's death to create a Horcrux--only he kept not managing to kill Harry, and thus never made the "seventh" Horcux (which would've been the 8th.)

Interesting to note that having a 7th Horcrux isn't really any more powerful than having 1. Voldemort seemed to think that having 7 would be exponentially more powerful than having 1, when really, it was only 7 times as powerful.

syndactylus
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
but he was killing people left and right, none of the other people's deaths he used were special. (to him.)

Stiney
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, it's my understanding that the act of killing alone doesn't make a Horcrux, there has to be some sort of ritual involved. Dumbledore thinks V was going to use Harry's death to make a Horcrux when Harry was a baby...maybe the spells had already been set in motion, and that's what actually made Harry the Horcrux (though V probably was planning on using some fahncy object instead.)

Voldie liked symbolism and meaning and grandeur--and revenge. What better way to cement his immortality than to use the death of his greatest threat to do so? He WANTED someone special to be the source of his Horcrux.

Jan in CA
07-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I was saddened when so many died, but I really loved the book. I thought the ending was awesome! :cheering:

gamerchik
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I cried off and on throughought the entire book, starting with Hedwig. Poor, sweet Hedwig!!! When that happened so early on, I was pretty sure it was "anything goes" in the book. JKR did an outstanding job.

In my opinion, the saddest and most heartbreaking business in the entire book was the illumination of everything that Snape had felt, been through and done since he was a child. His neverending love for Lily...the silver doe patronus...the bullying and abuse he got from every which way (esp. from Harry's dad). Being an outcast his entire life, right up until the end, being hated and yet having ultimately redeemed himself. It's hard to get out of my mind, because it was just so sad. I NEVER thought Snape was a villain, I always trusted Dumbledore, but the way that JKR fully described it and vindicated him was absolutely beautiful. When Harry called his son "Albus Severus," I really just about lost it!!!

A+++. I'm so impressed. :cheering:

karendawn
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Regarding the horcruxes - there were not supposed to be 7 - there were supposed to be 6 plus the part of the soul remaining in Voldemort's body - which would split his soul into 7. Having 7 horcruxes (which is what actually happened) would split his soul into 8, not a very magical number so he wouldn't want to do that on purpose (hmmm....maybe that's why he lost).

After he "failed" (so he thought) to create his sixth horcrux with Harry's death, he created what he thought was the sixth but was in actuality the seventh - Nagini.

1. Tom Riddle's diary
2. Marvolo's ring
3. Slytherin's locket
4. Hufflepuff's cup
5. Ravenclaw's diadem
6. Harry himself
7. Nagini
8. Voldemort's original body

karendawn
07-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I cried the most at Dobby's death but also at others. Loved Mrs. Weasley in the end. Knew I was right about Snape being good and also being in love with Lily (though I didn't think they had known each other as long as they had). Knew I was right about Harry being a horcrux and that Harry had to die (though I didn't expect to see him returning to life - I'm wondering if that's not originally what Rowling intended but something she later decided to change).

Mostly liked the epilogue, but I wanted to know more about some things - what did George do after losing his twin (keep the joke shop, perhaps run with Percy? He did make a joke after all)? what about Luna? what jobs did Harry and the gang have? who became the next headmaster? how did Teddy grow up after losing his parents and having Harry as a godfather (we get a tiny glimpse of him, but not enough)? And where the heck did the names Rose and Hugo come from for Ron and Hermione's kids??

PCwombat
07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Was anyone else confused at the one part (I think it was when the trio were attacked by the death eaters in london after the wedding) where they were going to obliviate them, and Hermione said that she's never done a memory modication charm before, but she knew the theory. But...she had done them before. When she sent her parents off to Australia. That part really bugged me, because I was waiting the entire book for Hermione to turn evil or something. Was it just a typo?

Jan in CA
07-23-2007, 07:18 PM
I see how you could be confused, but why would she turn evil? :??

I guess it never really noticed the inconsistency though:teehee:.

syndactylus
07-23-2007, 07:35 PM
stiney - at least with nagini the caretaker was a relative nobody?

karendawn - thanks. I was hoping somehow I was just confused...
that's what I get for reading it overnight so someone else could have it. :rollseyes:
although it also seems implausible he wouldn't know whether he made one or not. but at least that's just me, not the book.
everything was all a blur?

I thought it was a little unfriendly that Hermione's parents weren't invited to the wedding, but I don't remember the obliviating comment.

Stiney
07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
To Bill and Fleur's wedding? Why would they be? They didn't know Bill or Fleur. And it might violate Muggle Secrecy acts, even though their daughter's a witch...not sure how it works.

I think Voldie wanted to make sure he got another Horcrux right away, just in case...but if he could make the last and most final one Harry...

But this is all speculation. :shrug:

HollyP
07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I think the names Rose and Hugo were in keeping with the R & H of Ron and Hermione. I sure there are better theories but that's mine!

I am fairly certain the baby in the afterlife chapter was Voldemort soul. The way it was described was very similar to Voldie before he resurrected in GOF. I think Harry was naked at first in that chapter because it was just his soul not his body.

I too was hearbroken at Hedwig's death. Tonk and Lupin also really upset me. Fred what can I say I had to stop reading because of the tears! I fond myself wondering what happened to George after. They were so linked, I honestly can't imagine one without the other. For some reason the only death I didn't cry over was Mad Eye and of course Voldemort.

I think I will reread in a little while to get all of the bits I missed on the first read.

Yarnlady
07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I thought it was a little unfriendly that Hermione's parents weren't invited to the wedding, but I don't remember the obliviating comment.They were already off to Australia.

syndactylus
07-23-2007, 09:21 PM
But if they'd been invited to the wedding they could have gone and she could have shipped them off from there.

& if they were never allowed to see any magic, they couldn't go to platform 9 3/4 either!
And Hermione could never open her mouth in their presence again.

Jan in CA
07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
It makes no sense to me either that Hermione's parents would be invited. They didn't know them so there is no point.

HollyP
07-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't invite my younger brother's girlfriend's parents to my wedding unless I really knew them. From what we have seen the Weasleys and Grangers have had pretty limited contact. So it made sense to me why they weren't invited.

Dizbub
07-24-2007, 01:51 AM
the small child was voldemort. THink back to before he got his body back in the Goblet of Fire

misstialouise
07-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Harry was never meant to BE a Horcrux. He was made one accidentally when the killing curse didn't work. That's why there was an extra one, that Voldemort was not truly aware of. Which is why Harry survived in the forest.

Dizbub
07-24-2007, 02:06 AM
I really enjoyed the book and am waiting (im)patiently for my husband to read it - he hasn't even started it yet:shrug: i want to be able to discuss it with him.

I would have liked to have heard more about the other character as well.

Did Luna and Dean get together?
who raised poor Teddy Lupin? does he have werewolf tendencies?
Did all of the teachers survive the battle?
what jobs did the three have- i don't think they would be aurors the purpose of aurors were to hunt evil didn't Harry finish it off?
was Hermione able to get her parents back alright?

I cried, i cheered, i sniffled.

i will have to read the epilogue again though. I missed the reference to Hugo i thought R&H only had one child Rose.

I would have loved to hear about the Weasley family and what happened with them after.
:thumbsup:

atsamom
07-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Just want to say to all of you in this thread that I am LOVING reading it. I have wandered into some other Harry Potter chats trying to get some answers to a few nagging questions - and there are some very strange ideas out there. Knitters must be a really grounded group because this entire discussion makes so much sense!! You've easily and rationally explained my crying baby concern and the ideas on the Horcruxes are brilliant!!

ChrissyB
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, I LOVED it too!! Kind of sad it is overr though. I am also one who read the book in less than a day, but I have already started to re read it, you never know :shrug: I might have missed something. I think my favorite part was probably when R& H finally kiss, and Harry's reaction was sort of funny, now of all times, it made me chuckle. I must say, I didn't expect quite so many deaths though :pout:. Initially I also wanted more from the "19 years later" but then over the last couple of days I have invisioned my own stories about what everyone is doing.
I have one quesiont I was thinking of today when I started rereading though, does anyone know what house Dumbledore was in when he was at hogwarts?

Yarnlady
07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
does anyone know what house Dumbledore was in when he was at hogwarts?Gryffindor. He sat on the bed in the dorm with Harry telling him he burned the curtains on his there because he hated them so much. :star:

syndactylus
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Well if I knew one of my kid's best friends was going off to do something dangerous and a bunch of people were going to die soon anyway, and both our kids were among the first in line, and the last party before the storm was at my house, I'd invite her parents to it even if I didn't like them.

Jan in CA
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Well if I knew one of my kid's best friends was going off to do something dangerous and a bunch of people were going to die soon anyway, and both our kids were among the first in line, and the last party before the storm was at my house, I'd invite her parents to it even if I didn't like them.

Just my opinion..
I would agree if it were a going away party, but this was a private wedding that was under a great deal of stress as it was because of all the secrecy. The big thing to remember though is that their leaving was also secret and no one but the immediate family knew about it and even then they didn't all know when it was going to happen. With the climate of hate toward muggles and muggle-borns building it would have been a bad thing to invite people who could be subject to unspeakable things if something happened...which it did. Hermione felt it safer to just move them before something happened. Makes sense to me.

Jackie M.
07-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Wasn't Hermione's spell on her parents only temperary in case she didn't survive? I think it was, with the way she said it. So, they are probably okay.
Jackie

syndactylus
07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
But it wasn't a small wedding - they were inviting random neighbors and all - and if they could disguise Harry, they could disguise Hermione's parents.
But this is all kind of silly anyway, so. Sorry.

PaperGirl
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
When Harry called his son "Albus Severus," I really just about lost it!!!

Me too. I let out a huge bawling cry and just flooded....DH looked at me like I was NUTS.

I told him the sons name, and he said..."I thought Snape was bad?"

:doh:

PaperGirl
07-24-2007, 03:56 PM
But it wasn't a small wedding - they were inviting random neighbors and all - and if they could disguise Harry, they could disguise Hermione's parents.
But this is all kind of silly anyway, so. Sorry.

Maybe so, but maybe it was also done for the safety of her parents. Everyone else attending could have protected themselves if need be.

Her parents at a wedding like that, with the threat hanging overhead, would likely have been more of a liability than anything.

YKWIM?

Jan in CA
07-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Wasn't Hermione's spell on her parents only temperary in case she didn't survive? I think it was, with the way she said it. So, they are probably okay.
Jackie

If I recall correctly the spell was permanent so if something did happen to her they'd never remember they even had a daughter.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Syndactylus. :hug:

misha rf
07-24-2007, 06:34 PM
OK, just finished it about 15 minutes ago (bought it yesterday afternoon). My husband accused me of not liking it b/c I didn't "savor" it!! As if it's possible to read HP slowly!! :rofl:

I gasped when I got to Hedwig's end. At least it was fast. :pout:

And I was so happy that Snape was vindicated. I've liked him for so long, and figured out (around the 4th book) that there was something more to him. How sweet that he loved Lily so much!

Loved the afterward--I immediately burst into tears. My husband laughed at me.

And now, it goes in the mail to my sister, who decided last month that she finally wanted to read the series. She's on book 5 now.

Belphoebe
07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

I BAWLED when Hedwig died. :waah: When I started, my mate who knew the entire book already told me I might as well keep the kleenex box beside me if I was crying that early on in the book.

HollyP
07-24-2007, 11:12 PM
I am just so glad to have you guy to discuss the finer points of this book and series with.:hug: After my brother finished he was very frustrating. He said "he thought the majority of the book was slow and can't wait for the movie to come out so they can cut all the unimportant stuff." I was taken aback!:noway: Slow and unimportant stuff -what the ??!! Every piece was part of the puzzle. I really can't think of any bits that were arbitrary or unimportant. When I asked him what he thought was unimportant he said all the camping etc. Anyways...

So thanks for this thread !!!!!!!!!! :grphug:

Jan in CA
07-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, I think maybe your brother meant the parts where they were camping and didn't really do anything except discuss what they were going to do...repeatedly. I thought the could have cut out just a little bit of that, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

syndactylus
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
If I recall correctly the spell was permanent so if something did happen to her they'd never remember they even had a daughter.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Syndactylus. :hug:

yes!
:cheering:
and so as long as I'm just loudly protesting here, I'm just going to add that I feel Hermione should have felt more vocally guilty about completely disrespecting her parents' brains that way - underhanded sneaking & conniving! (while they were wandering around in the woods and had plenty of time to agonize over whatever popped into their heads.) and why the Weasley parents either didn't have any objections to it, or didn't even think to ask, when they were all planning out the ghoul stand-in for Ron. because I don't think they would have been very happy about it either.
& I wonder if they were ever told, because I can't imagine how she could have talked her way out of that, well-intentioned or not.

although I don't have kids, and maybe some actual parents would be ok with that... but I sincerely doubt it?

& maybe it is just in there to be disturbing. that would be ok then. that Hermione is a problem!! :teehee:

or did I miss the part too where they okayed it all ahead of time?

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
As a parent, I would prefer to not know that I had a child, than to lose one.

I think in these circumstances, being that Hermione's parents are Muggles, that the Weasley's would have been all for protecting them, no matter what (given that Mr Weasley is a HUGE Muggle fan) it took. I didn't notice the discrepency between that and the obliviate thing, as I was too caught up in the fact that it was the last book.. LOL

syndactylus
07-25-2007, 08:17 PM
another reason he would have wanted them invited to the wedding and their autonomy respected!

Jan in CA
07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
another reason he would have wanted them invited to the wedding and their autonomy respected!

LOL You sure have issues with this wedding thing. I don't really think it was a big part of the story. ;) I agree that as a parent I'd prefer not to know that I had a child rather than lose one so I think Hermione did the right thing.

Phaedra
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I began reading Sunday (after DH finished) and was finished Monday eve. I so love this book! Yes, I cried, grasped and cheered my way through. JKR did a fantastic job tying up the ends; and I like how quickly the action began. What about that Dudley?
And I think I'd like to make a knitted/beaded "Hermione" bag; maybe larger--as a knitting bag.

Stiney
07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Maybe the wedding thing is a difference in how we see weddings...I wouldn't invite even my best friend's parents to my wedding, I don't think. I can see if I spent hours and hours at their house growing up, but I don't have that kind of relationship with any of my friends' parents. And the Grangers certainly don't know the Weasleys as well as the other way around.

Braden
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Okay, I just finished the book, and I have 2 things to say:

- I couldn't believe how many people died! I cried at times.

- I still think Harry and Hermione should have ended up together.

Stiney
07-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Nah, I could tell from book 1 that Ron and Hermione were destined for one another.

I do like how Ginny seems such a non-entity until around book 4, and then Harry Gets Hormones and suddenly starts noticing girls. :teehee:

syndactylus
07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
LOL You sure have issues with this wedding thing. I don't really think it was a big part of the story. ;) I agree that as a parent I'd prefer not to know that I had a child rather than lose one so I think Hermione did the right thing.

but wouldn't you and misstia both at least want to be asked for your opinion first?

HollyP
07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Was anyone else disappointed in how little we got to see of Ginny in this book? I mean come on she ended up Married to Harry Potter!! I would have thought maybe she would have had a bigger part. I love Ginny!

Another thing I have been thinking about is why couldn't someone be Harry, Ron, and Hermione's secret keeper. Or does that only work when you are staying in one place- I forget!

Contiknitter for a few minutes I was starting to think that Harry and Hermione would end up together too. Then they could have named all of their kids 'H' names. LOL!
When I was in high school I dated a guy named Heath. We always joked that if we got married all of our kids would all have 'H' names!
I don't think H & H would have made a good couple. They are both too serious. The needed the Weasley's to mellow them out!

Eloewien
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Got it at about 4pm today, just finished at 1:45... hubby got annoyed at me sniffling through most of it... especially when Lupin & Tonks died... and dobby. I loved Kreacher! That was just great!

Jan in CA
07-26-2007, 01:50 AM
but wouldn't you and misstia both at least want to be asked for your opinion first?

My opinion? About what...being obliviated? Maybe, but once it's done it really doesn't matter either way.

Braden
07-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Well, around from book 3, I could tell that Hermione and Ron sort of had a thing going. Ginny and Harry are good, too, I guess. I like the weird twist on Dumbledore's death. Turns out it was planned all along!

Yarnlady
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I like the weird twist on Dumbledore's death. Turns out it was planned all along!I knew something was up with D's death, cuz I always knew Snape was a good guy. I thought for the longest time, in fact until D himself said he was dead, that he was still alive.

Stood in line at Borders on Friday morning to get our bracelets to get a place in line Friday night to buy the book with the same Mom and Adult Daughter. To the very end they wore their Snape is Evil buttons. I kept saying him being evil was too obvious...Harry'd had problems with him from Day One. Wish I could find them now to say, "Told you so!" :lol:

Jan in CA
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I did not know Snape was a "good guy" until the end. There were occasionally hints of this possibility, but I still didn't like him. He was mean to Harry and seemed to love Draco. I realize that he was reacting to his dislike of James or his treatment as a kid now though.

As for the romance angle...I never thought Harry and Hermione would get together. It seemed early on that she was destined for Ron.

sugarfunpouch
07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
At first when Snape died I was apathetic. Then I realized he turned out to be on Dumbledore's side the whole time! His patron was the silver doe! He was ONE of the last people who I thought would do it! I was very surprised! :)

kahluakiggy
07-26-2007, 12:47 PM
I wasn't surprised about Snape in the least. I thought he was in love with Lily, and that was why DD trusted him. But where was his portrait at the end? He was, after all, a headmaster, no matter who put him there.

Stiney
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I really, really, wanted Snape to be good, because he's always been sort of a Javert-character to me. I'd just about given up hope on him, though, until Voldie was about to kill him.

Braden
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
As for the romance angle...I never thought Harry and Hermione would get together. It seemed early on that she was destined for Ron.

I couldn't tell anything early on, it just seemed to me that they were all friends. From around books 3 and 4 I could tell that Hermione liked Ron, though.

Jan in CA
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I couldn't tell anything early on, it just seemed to me that they were all friends. From around books 3 and 4 I could tell that Hermione liked Ron, though.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. They were too young in the earlier books.

sugarfunpouch
07-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I wasn't surprised about Snape in the least. I thought he was in love with Lily, and that was why DD trusted him. But where was his portrait at the end? He was, after all, a headmaster, no matter who put him there. Well, I didn't know that Snape loved Lily until that part came up! I do agree, about the portrait, does anyone have any ideas? :shrug:

misha rf
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Maybe he hadn't been headmaster long enough to have one done?? :shrug:

I'm so glad Snape was vindicated. I'd had a feeling that he might be on the "right" side. It's so nice to be right for a change!!

Jan in CA
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Maybe someone has to put up a photo/painting and no one had had time yet seeing as it just happened. :shrug:

vrousseau
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Ron and Hermione finally got together?! Finally. I might check it out when I get the chance.

kahluakiggy
07-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Maybe someone has to put up a photo/painting and no one had had time yet seeing as it just happened. :shrug:
idk - Dumbledore's portrait was up when McGonnagal and Harry got back to the Headmaster's office at the end of HBP... I would imagine that more time passed between Snape dying and Harry getting there than Dumbledore dying and the two of them getting there. But, who knows?

Jan in CA
07-26-2007, 07:26 PM
That's true. Maybe it just wasn't important to the story. Frankly it never crossed my mind. :shrug:

beckyrhae
07-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Well I just finished... I took my time with the first half of the book, not wanting it to be over and all but my step daughter started reading it and we tend to race when reading Harry Potter.

Man... I cried alot too... Hedwig, Dobby, FRED!! Lupin and Tonks. I was just heartbroken. I wish we had seen what happened to Lupin and Tonks but the shock of it was truely that... shocking.

I was happy to see Snape wasnt the bad guy because I really really hated him after HBP. Seeing Percy come around was wonderful too.

Mrs. Weasly ROCKS! I love her!

I felt a little odd reading the epilogue, but maybe... just maybe she is planning a few stand alone books about the years after the great war. Wouldnt that be great??

Stiney
07-27-2007, 09:26 AM
She's not. No more Harry Potter, and I'm glad. I'll be very upset if she tries to write more...they won't be the same.

Jill A.
07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I didn't get the book until Saturday (a week after it came out). It only took me about 6 hours to read. Some things I had totally figured out (like Snape is good) and some I was totally wrong (I was sure that Dumbledore wasn't really dead, that he was just "in hiding" or something like that). I was surprised that a Weasley died, and also Hedwig and Dobby.
I really like the way that almost all of the characters from all the books were in this book, and tons of the spells and charms also.

Jax3303
07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I didn't get the book until Saturday (a week after it came out).

I'm confused or missing something. Tomorrow will be a week after the book came out....it was released Saturday the 21st.

NakedPancakes
07-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I laughed, I cried. I thought it was good.
But for some reason, I don't really feel like I have closure. xD
If you know what I mean. Because I really don't.

I really loved Neville and Severus in this one. xD

hummingbird
07-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I seem like one of the few people who didn't think that Snape was really good. He was always so mean to Harry and he killed Dumbledore!

abodenrader
07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
There are some interviews with JKR on msn.com - and Harry and Ron do become Aurors, and Hermione gets involved in ... oh! I forget exactly but it's Magic and the Law and perhaps a ministry position... no mention of Ginny's future, except as Harry's wife.

I felt so vindicated about Snape - and dead on with JKR's assessment - not nice, but definitely brave. And Fred's death hit me hardest, by far, but Teddy's being orphaned was a blow!

And go Kreacher and Molly!! That was awesome!

Mariblue
07-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Finished the book on Sunday night. I loved it.
Yes, in an interview, JK Rowling said that Harry and Ron go on to revolutionize the Auror's department, and that Hermione was very high up in Magical Law Enforcement.

Jan in CA
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I seem like one of the few people who didn't think that Snape was really good. He was always so mean to Harry and he killed Dumbledore!

I agree..I didn't think he was good. I figured he was working both sides, but was really with the evil side..turns out he was with the good side.

Jess_knit
07-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I just got the book Thursday, and stayed up until 4 this morning to finish...I thought it was great, far better than the 6th book, which I didn't really like.

I cried when Fred, Tonks, and Lupin died. I laughed when Percy showed up, and I loved Kreacher. (Especially him wanting to whack Mundungus on the head, and leading an elf army armed with cleavers and kitchen knives.)

Technically, Umbridge was a Headmaster too, but she didn't get a portrait..:teehee:

Stiney
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Umbridge didn't die.

Jess_knit
07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Oh - duh! Forgot that requirement.

What a shame, huh?

Stiney
07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah. :verysad:

Evil old toad.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I finished this 2 days ago; I was disappointed with the ending/epilogue. I thought it was way too cheezy and predictable.

My SIL and I had an ongoing argument about Snape; I thought he was good, she thought he was bad... I'm glad I get to say I TOLD YOU SO when she finished it (which could be months from now, knowing her).

I also thought all the hype about main charachters dying was misplaced. Of *course* ron hermoine and harry were going to make it... duh. I wasn't shocked at any of the deaths, really.

I did LOL at the3 part where Mrs. Weasley says "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!" Up top that point I was furiously reading, captivated with the story.... then that happened and i thought it was so hilarious, it ruined the mood for me.

:shrug:

Jan in CA
07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I finished this 2 days ago; I was disappointed with the ending/epilogue. I thought it was way too cheezy and predictable.

I liked the ending and while the epilogue might have been predictable it was one way for JKR to end their childhood at Hogwarts making it harder for someone to do sequels. If she had left the ending as it was I think there could have been problems down the line with that.

Jackie M.
07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I liked the epilogue! :cheering:

I do wish more had been answered. How did George do without his twin? They were so close. :verysad:

Did Draco or other Malfoys ever talk to Harry?

HollyP
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I agree with Jan! There definitely could have been problems down the line if she had not done the epilogue. Yes it was a bit predictable and I would have enjoyed it being longer but in all I think JKR wrapped most everything up pretty well.

Duckling326
07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Quick Q... is Victoire, Fleur's daughter?

LOVED the book! I finished on Thursday morning. Love that Ginny and Harry are together and of course Ron and Hermione.

Great that Neville ended up teaching! So is Percy headmaster? Or why was he announcing stuff at the train?

Yarnlady
07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Quick Q... is Victoire, Fleur's daughter?That seems to be the assumption. We know that she's James' cousin and with such an obvious French name..... :lol:
So is Percy headmaster? Or why was he announcing stuff at the train?I think he was just lecturing his kids as is Percy's way. :teehee: I wouldn't the Headmaster wouldn't be at the train station...

knitty_girl590
07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I cried alot in this book, like when Dobby died, when Snape died... and when I found out that Harry was going to die I was really sad....(obviously for no reason....)

Duckling326
07-28-2007, 12:13 PM
gotcha!

I cried and oh boy I was so excited when the school banded together and then when Kreacher lead the house elves!! YAYA!!

Loved the book so much!

Songbirdy
07-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I wonder if Snape didn't get a picture because he was placed Headmaster by Voldemort's gang and it was a "take-over" move... But either way I thought he should get one given his role.

I loved the humanizing of Dumbledore.

I have a friend who is getting the book today. She begged me to tell her who died or she would read the end first.

So I told her Harry died... :teehee:

She didn't ask who lived! :teehee:

Her comment? "What's the point of reading the book then!"

Phretys
07-28-2007, 01:42 PM
And where the heck did the names Rose and Hugo come from for Ron and Hermione's kids??

The current Entertainment Weekly magazine - "Goodbye, Harry" - proposed the theory that maybe J.K. Rowling is a huge LOST fan. I would have never thought of that! Here's a link to the online version of that article: The Quibbler (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20048517,00.html) (the article title in the print version)

The print version of the magazine also has a little tribute section on the same page, of both the good and the bad guys, using the promotional photos of 12 characters from the movies. Oddly enough, I think the one death in the book that bothered me the most was that of Colin Creevey. I was terribly sad about Fred, Snape, Dobby, and Hedwig, but their deaths didn't bug me in the way Colin's did. Maybe it's just the idea of a cute little spazzy kid getting snuffed out so soon in life.

Debi

Mariblue
07-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Oddly enough, I think the one death in the book that bothered me the most was that of Colin Creevey. I was terribly sad about Fred, Snape, Dobby, and Hedwig, but their deaths didn't bug me in the way Colin's did. Maybe it's just the idea of a cute little spazzy kid getting snuffed out so soon in life.

Debi
Yeah, Colin Creevey was a shock for me too.

My personal theory about Ron and Hermione's kids names are that Ron spent the whole of his childhood with hand-me-downs, buying second hand, and rarely having anything new (not that that's a bad thing). But it would have been in keeping with Ron's character to have given his children "new" names. Just my two cents. :teehee:

hunterjenn
07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Several answers to these questions here, and in the other articles listed at the bottom of the page. :thumbsup:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

karendawn
07-28-2007, 03:53 PM
The current Entertainment Weekly magazine - "Goodbye, Harry" - proposed the theory that maybe J.K. Rowling is a huge LOST fan. I would have never thought of that! Here's a link to the online version of that article: The Quibbler (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20048517,00.html) (the article title in the print version)

Thanks for the link - I had thought about the Lost names myself, so it's neat to see that others have had the same idea.

Jan in CA
07-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the links!

chrislt8
07-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the links - those were some interesting interpretations :cool:

I loved the book - like everyone else, cried and gasped and cheered my way through it. Loved Kreacher, and both Snape and Dumbledore were handled perfectly! Cried and Harry dug Dobby's grave... and Fred...ohhhh Fred...But the best moment of all was Mrs. Weasly turning into the mother bear protecting her cub!

I feel a little bereft that the story is over... (actually - I read the last book so quickly as I was so afraid of stumbling on a spoiler that I am re-reading it again now to savor it! LOL)

Kaydee
07-28-2007, 11:39 PM
I just finished, it was so good!! I'm sad that its over but I think it was a great way to end everything. I have to say it took a lot for me not to look at this thread, I haven't gotten to read most of the comments yet, so I can't wait to see what people thought.

Knitlee
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Just finished!:yay: As a read each book, I paraphrase what is happening for my husband; he has never read the books, but has seen every movie and is always asking me questions and coming up with his own theories. I tell him he should read the book, but he claims he is not interested. I stopped giving him a play by play once I got the "The Battle of Hogwarts". I figure if I withhold information maybe he will read them. I know he is a closeted Harry Potter fan:teehee:.

I loved every moment of my Harry Potter experience. I'm going to reread beginning tomorrow. Maybe I can get my husband to read with me...

Kaydee
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I’ve only cried a few times reading a book but this book made me sob!!:waah: It really got me in Snape’s memories when he produced the doe patronus then told Dumbledore that he always had cared about Harry. And when Harry was going back in to the woods with his parents and Sirus, man that got me!! Especially when he asked if it was going to hurt and they were talking about how proud of him they were. I was crying so much I had to put the book down a few times.

I thought it was a great twist that Voldie accidentally made Harry a horcrux and there turned out to be 8.

I had thought that Dumbledore told Snape to kill him but I wasn’t sure why. I loved how it all came together that he was a good guy the whole time but it made his death even sadder for me.

All in all I thought the book was great and I loved how pretty much all of the questions were answered. I didn’t feel like I was left wondering anything at the end.

heykaren
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
I finished the book at the end of last week, but had a crazy weekend and couldn`t get here to read all the comments. I thought the book was a great finish to the series!!! Some of the escapes were a bit much, SO coincidental, but hey, it´s Harry Potter!!!!!

I was also wondering about Victoise ( ? sp ) but assumed that it was Bill and Fleur´s daughter. I was so upset by Lupin and Tonk´s deaths, but had a bad feeling when someone told Tonks that Remus was fighting Dolohov and then a bit later they mentioned him again, but nothing about Lupin. I would have liked the epilogue to be a bit more in depth, but I think most of the "loose ends" were pretty much covered.

My one son had also finished it, so it´s nice to have someone here to discuss it with, and I lent my book to a friend here, and I happened to catch up with her when she had finished reading about Hedwig getting killed, and she was all misty eyed. She´s going to be in serious condition by the end of the book...... :waah:

I´ve enjoyed reading all the critiques and want to get to the links asap! Love it here on KH!!!!!! :woot: Karen

amy
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Yay, what a great book! :woot: Just finished it today.

I loved Kreacher's turn around, making the house all sparkly, etc., so great! Loved Dobby's coming to the rescue at the Malfoy's (and relieved that Olivander wasn't dead!). Loved Ginny's goodbye kiss early in the book (I agree, I would have loved to see more of her in this book, what a strong, wonderful character she developed into in books 5 & 6! Definitely my prefered match for Harry!).

I was very impressed and happy with the spiritual integrity of JKR's vision, and how it played out both in Harry's final growth as a character, and in the plot as a whole...

I loved Harry's peaceful calm after Dobby died (I could practically have declared "The End!" after that...it really seemed a remarkable development in Harry's growth as a hero/character, and it was such a relief after his disturbing obsession over the Hallows). I was so satisfied with the scene in the forbidden forest: again with Harry's inner peace as he entered the forest, the "in his head but real" connections he felt to the dead, and his peace with the idea of dying (what powerful spiritual statements!). And I loved all of the references to what death was like, including Hermione's offhanded remark (when discussing horcruxes) about how a soul isn't affected at all merely by the body's death (she even remarks how the notion should be comforting--I thought, wow, that really is comforting, way to go JKR for the spiritual wisdom imparted to young readers, and that was just the beginning). I also really liked how JKR portrayed Riddle's crying-child soul. There was no reference to him "getting his due" from outside hatred affecting him when he died; it was all about how his own inner pain and regret will be his suffering. That was so wise, and beautifully crafted.

I knew something was up with D's death, cuz I always knew Snape was a good guy. I thought for the longest time, in fact until D himself said he was dead, that he was still alive.

Me too! I knew about Snape being good (although I started to have my doubts after he blew off George's ear). I wondered if, in Dumbledore's conspiring with Snape to kill him, if he might have managed to fake his death. Seems to me that with advanced planning like that, and cooperation from Snape, that a fake death could have been managed.

I also had my eye out for a possible plot twist where Voldemort might mark Neville as his equal in the 11th hour (I was watching for instance for some kind of mark/scar from the blazing sorting hat) where then Neville could end up being the one to kill him. Could'a happened! Not that I thought it necessarily would, but I couldn't help wondering if she was going somewhere with that Neville/prophesy reference.

I was most sad with Hedwig's dying, more than anyone else's! I think her being upset with him at the time, as someone else has mentioned, was a part of it. Wouldn't have minded seeing her in the forest among the other dead loved ones reassuring us that all was well. But I did feel that reassurance in general during that scene, and elsewhere in the series, so in a way I didn't need it. But it was a surprise the way she went. She was painted as so Good, with that bright white glow almost like a unicorn. I didn't expect her to do some extraordinary angelic act like Faulks, but I would have imagined her in some kind of positive action when she died.

Loved the book all in all. Also loved the epilogue; I can never complain when an author gives any kind of epilogue, it always feels like a great indulgence. Thank you JKR, I love you! :muah:

Jessica
07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
I loved how Snape ended up being a good guy after all and cared for Harry the whole time. It also made me cry when Harry looked at his memories. I also loved the names Harry picked for his children (Albus Severus). It ending the way I wanted it too, which Hermione and Ron together and Ginny and Harry together. I just thought she would have made Harry part of Hogwarts as an adult, like Headmaster or something. The last couple chapters through me for a loop with all the twists and turns, I loved it!!!!!11
I too am super sad that the series is over, but it seemed to me that purhaps she could start a new series with Harry and everybody elses kids:shrug:I dont know who they would fight, but its an idea.

heykaren
08-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Some have suggested that JKR is a "lost" fan and that´s why Ron and Hermoine named their kids Hugo and rosie. What´s the "lost" names - I have no idea what you´re talking about.... :???: Karen

Stiney
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Lost is a TV show...but I think that was a joke.

Ginnyb
08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
someone probably already answered this...but the crying baby was Voldemort....

Kaydee
08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
someone probably already answered this...but the crying baby was Voldemort....

I took the crying baby to be that part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry and was destroyed when he sacrificed himself.

Ginnyb
08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I think so too, Ijust wrote too fast and it posted!

Ginnyb
08-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I was watching the Today show when Meredith Viera was interviewing Rowlings and she said that she plans on writing an encyclopedia of Hogwarts, at least I think that is what she said and in this encyclopedia she will wrap up a lot of loose ends and how all the characters end up in life...

Ginny

heykaren
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks Stiney!!!!! :thumbsup: Karen

Debbie
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Finally I have finished and can go to page 1 of this post and read .......

Debbie
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I have to say ... my VERY favorite line in the WHOLE book is .... "as nutty as squirrel poo" I have been saying it every chance I get :) I have NEVER, EVER heard that before in my life ... was this new to anyone else????

JKR is such a good story teller. She did a wonderful job with the loose ends. I have read books where they say
" John who was Susan's brother who got killed by Jim while ...." she made the explanations such a part of the story.

I really enjoyed hearing what everyone thought ... and appreciated the "clearing up" of a few things! I am a school librarian and can't wait to hear what my students have to say about Deathly Hollows. They are going to be very surprised when Mrs. Hall says ..... POO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrislt8
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I have to say ... my VERY favorite line in the WHOLE book is .... "as nutty as squirrel poo" ..... They are going to be very surprised when Mrs. Hall says ..... POO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roflhard::roflhard:Just imagining when I was in school and if a teacher came out with that one!

Kaydee
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I really enjoyed hearing what everyone thought ... and appreciated the "clearing up" of a few things! I am a school librarian and can't wait to hear what my students have to say about Deathly Hollows. They are going to be very surprised when Mrs. Hall says ..... POO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Jackie M.
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I liked the way Harry made Voldie furious by calling him Tom Riddle, and the way he asked if he wanted to repent, or something like that, before he died because "I've seen what you will become".

My favorite line in the book was when Fred said, "he can move as fast as Snape running from a bottle of shampoo". :roflhard:

Jackie

DeAnzaJig
08-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I just finished reading the book, and although I wouldn't consider myself a rabid fan of Harry Potter (but I do enjoy a good book and have read through the entire series), I thought JKR did a good job.

I, too, was very sad when Hedwig and Dobby died. Poor Hedwig, falling off that motorcycle and trapped in her cage. As Amy mentioned, it would have been nice to see her when Harry sees his family. The two fight scenes in the school, with Dumbledore's Army and the professors all banning together to fight off Voldemort were also very stirring.

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I thought that Snape turned out to be very pathetic. To fashion your entire life around unrequited love is neither brave nor heroic to me. Snape should have realized while at school when Lily choose James over him that she wasn't the perfect woman he had made her to be in his mind and moved on. I would have had more respect for Snape (and his shoddy treatment of Harry the entire time he was at Hogwart's would have made more sense) if he had been motivated by revenge against James and his crappy treatment of Snape and Dumbledore convinced him to be part of his plan because he had assured Snape that Harry would die in the end. As you can see, I'm not a romantic.

I both liked and didn't like the epilogue. I liked it because it JKR took the time to tie up some loose ends, but based on her previous voluminous work, I had expected more detail as other posters have mentioned.

Jax3303
08-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Poor Hedwig, falling off that motorcycle and trapped in her cage.

good thing she was already dead when that happened, or it really would have been sad (for me).

Yarnlady
08-03-2007, 09:04 AM
(and his shoddy treatment of Harry the entire time he was at Hogwart's would have made more sense)I figured that was to keep his cover....it made other Deatheaters and eventually Voldemort think Snape was still true to the dark side. Didn't think it had anything to do with Snape/Lily/James. :shrug:

Stiney
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't know...Harry looks JUST like his dad, who Snape HATED with a capital HATE. Except for his eyes...how horrible to see the eyes of the woman you loved looking out of the face of the man you hated most at you, every day? Added to the guilt of knowing he directly caused Lily's death? I think he had good reason to be nasty to Harry on his own. Sure, he'd do his best to protect Harry to honor Lily's memory, but that doesn't mean he has to LIKE the kid.

AmandaC
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
The last thing Snape said to Harry was 'look at me' ... so that he could see Lily eyes .....

I'm just re-reading the book and read that part .... :sniffle:

Kaydee
08-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't know...Harry looks JUST like his dad, who Snape HATED with a capital HATE. Except for his eyes...how horrible to see the eyes of the woman you loved looking out of the face of the man you hated most at you, every day? Added to the guilt of knowing he directly caused Lily's death? I think he had good reason to be nasty to Harry on his own. Sure, he'd do his best to protect Harry to honor Lily's memory, but that doesn't mean he has to LIKE the kid.

But he did tell Dumbledore in the memory that he had always cared for Harry. That's why he was mad that Dumbledore hadn't told Harry that he was going to have to die, Snape said D was using Harry.

Ronda
08-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Okay, I just finished the book, and I have 2 things to say:

- I couldn't believe how many people died! I cried at times.

- I still think Harry and Hermione should have ended up together.

I always wanted Harry and Hermione together!

I had heard "two major characters" would die, but apparently that statistic was wrong! Dobby and Fred were hardest on me.

Whoever posted that someone thought that the story went on a bit too long at times, I agree! Up until about page 400, I kept thinking we were never going to get anywhere. After that, though, it was like an amusement park ride!

I always liked Snape, despite his snarkiness. I'm so glad he turned out "good" in the end - I had an inkling all along!!

Jax3303
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
But he did tell Dumbledore in the memory that he had always cared for Harry.

no, he didn't. When he said 'always' after dumbledore asked 'after all this time?' Snape was refering to Lily. Snapes love for Lily is the only reason Snape was protecting Harry. Lily's patronus was a doe. So, Snapes partonus was a doe because of his love for Lily and his guilt over her death.

Kaydee
08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
no, he didn't. When he said 'always' after dumbledore asked 'after all this time?' Snape was refering to Lily. Snapes love for Lily is the only reason Snape was protecting Harry. Lily's patronus was a doe. So, Snapes partonus was a doe because of his love for Lily and his guilt over her death.

Oh, I guess I was thinking of it differently. That makes sense to me though. Thanks.

DeAnzaJig
08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
good thing she was already dead when that happened, or it really would have been sad (for me).

Thanks for clearing that up. It does make her death a little easier to handle.

DeAnzaJig
08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I always wanted Harry and Hermione together!

I think JKR didn't end up putting Harry and Hermione together because they both had a lot of Muggle in them (Hermione - pure and Harry - mixed), and one of the points of the book was tolerance of others. It sort of represents a future of more Muggle/Pureblood pairings and more mixed families, where there is less emphasis placed on being a pureblood.

jillliv
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm now re-reading my way through the series, and can fit all those loose peices together that didn't quite fit when I read them the first time. :think:Then I can re-read deathly hallows with much more background knowledge. it's much more pleasurable for me to do that than to read the book so fast as I did the first time:woot:and rin the risk of missing an important bit.

Yarnlady
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm now re-reading my way through the series, and can fit all those loose peices together that didn't quite fit when I read them the first time.My youngest son and I are listening to them again. We finished Sorcer's Stone last week and will start Chamber of Secrets today.

It's amazing how many little bits of information we passed over as really unimportant now are important. Like the fact that Quirrel makes a point of telling Harry that Snape is the one that was protecting him. Although we "knew" this, we didn't give it nearly the weight it deserved in view of what facts we now have.

I'm really looking forward to what else we will discover we knew but didn't realize was important!:teehee:

J.K. Rowling is an amazing story teller! :star:

Jax3303
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I started re-reading the series again last night. I thought it was really cute that in book 1, Harry wished he had a watch (when Harry was in his cupboard after the zoo trip), and in book 7, Mrs Weasley gives him a watch for his birthday. I LOVE little things like that.

simplethings
08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
After watching 5th movie I decided that I finally had to read the books. I bought book one and was casually reading it... when I realized that I didn't want to run into spoilers for the final book which meant I'd have to buy it the night it came out.
Sadly, the realization didn't hit me until two nights before Year 7's huge book opening. I ended up buying 2-6 hoping to finish them in a day. o_O
Definitely didn't happen. I finished the series last night. I actually read book 7 in one day (I stayed up until 4:30 am). I loved all the books but I feel so empty now.

I totally went through all the same emotions as everyone else... except for Hedwig. For some reason I couldn't believe that he died. I just kept thinking they made a mistake.. =( It wasn't until I finished that I realized he actually was gone. Almost similar with Tonks and Lupin... the book described them as sort of peacefully sleeping... and I forced myself to believe that they were, in fact, taking a nap.. or stunned.
One of the biggest mix of emotions for me was when Harry was walking into the forest at the end and he whispered to the Snitch, "I am about to die." There was this strange serenity to the whole scene... but also this impending sense of fear and death in addition to the fact that I was still shaking from all the excitement in the battle sequences.

There were aspects of the final book that I didn't like, however. People were complaining about the whole hiding and waiting in the forest thing and how nothing was happening. I wholeheartedly agree.
My other problem was how quickly some of the loose ends were tied. There were SO MANY great characters and really in-depth character and plot development through the series and in this last book we just get lengthy monologue after lengthy monologue, and long book passages and newspaper articles and flashbacks, etc to fill in all these plot holes and tie off loose ends. I would've loved to see some of these things possibly revealed earlier in the series or really let JKR take her time explaining what was happening... instead of just having a character give a straight 10 paragraph lecture on what was going on (I wouldn't mind a longer book) ^_^.

NinGina
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Someone asked about why R&H's children were named Rose and Hugo. I don't know about Rose, but, if you check the back of the book 'About the Author' you will she that JKR won the 'Hugo Award'. Maybe that's where she got that name.

Speaking of names, don't you think that it's a bit selfish that Harry and Ginny's children’s names were LILLY, JAMES and ALBUS? All the people in Harry's life? What about Ginny. Why couldn't the little girl be Molly?

I had only one question about the book when I was finished. How did the sword end up in the sorting hat?

Of course there are a lot of questions about what happens now. Like who is the new Headmaster or Headmistress? Call me crazy, but, I think there may be more books coming.

Kaydee
08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I had only one question about the book when I was finished. How did the sword end up in the sorting hat?

Back in the Chamber of Secrets Harry pulled the sword out of the sorting hat too. I believe Dumbledore told him something to the effect of only the true Griffindor that really needs the sword will be able to produce it from the sorting hat. Nevile needed it to kill the snake, so I believe it appeared in the hat.

zebstriped
08-08-2007, 11:27 AM
It took an extra week for Amazon to send out my book, but I finished it and feel a little, well, empty. The Harry Potter world is now over!

I've enjoyed reading all of your comments, and I have just two:
1) Dobby's death hurt the worst, probably cuz I'm a sucker for the innocent. I cried horribly.
2) Why didn't Harry name any of his kids after Sirius? I'm surprised he would choose Severus over Sirius as a middle name. But what the heck do I know?

MrsJSD
08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
My daughter is a precocious reader and at 8 years old she has read (and re-reads) the first 6 HP books. However,
when I read Book 7's scene in the Malfoy's house in which the Muggle Studies teacher was suspended above the dining room table and then killed and fed to the snake, I just thought that was way too much for an 8 year old, I don't care how blinking smart she is! I think torture is a very deeply evil thing, I don't want her to "get used" to it in any way!

She was livid with rage when I took the book away. She screamed at me that she would never forgive me.

Should I relent? Maybe I could read parts of it to her myself, but ordinarily she doesn't have much patience with being read to. She is a phenomenal reader herself.

BostonBecca
08-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it is ultimately your decision, and while that scene is a horrible one, I think a good option would be to read the scene out-loud together and then discuss it and say how torture is a horrible thing. However, you have to be comfortable with that. 8 might be a little young. It could be a great learning experience. I found a lot in this book that was reminiscent/analogous of the Holocaust because of the idealogy and it might be a good chance for her to learn about why such hate is wrong.

I didn't think the teacher was physically tortured before being killed by Voldemort, but I could be wrong, I read the book very quickly. I did not think it was worse than when Cedric was killed, except that he did not have the chance to plead.