PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Knitter

dcinfo124
07-22-2007, 01:02 AM
I finally borrowed a book from the library and learned how to knit. I knitted a scarf and a dish pad using the knit stitch and decreasing and increasing. Now what? Should make the bag or the socks?

I have no idea what needles to buy. I saw some thread on Option? What is this? Some advices I received was to just purchase circular needles, better investments and more usefulness. Addi needles?

As to methods, majority of people I talked to preferred the continental method, faster, better for the wrist. I've found hardly any books illustrating the continental method, like holding the yarn, the needle. I knitted the scarf and dish pad using the English method. Should I learn the Continental method? Will I be able to understand pattern instructions if I know the Continental method?

Books? What are some books I should own? Are the Debbie Bliss books worth anything? If anyone has any advice on books for the Continental method, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

BTW...this is a great site/forum. Lots of useful information and tips.

Bug
07-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi!

I'm a newbie too, and I've just finished a scarf and also wondering what to do next. I say if you want o knit socks then go for it! You can only learn from any mistakes you make, and if you don't make any mistakes then that's great too!

As for English VS Continental, just do what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to learn Continental then go ahead,but don't feel you have to use one over the other, as far as I can see it's totally a personal preference. Knitting is a hobby and the way i see it, I don't see the point in picking a method purely because it's faster than the other. We knit to relax and have fun, why rush that?

As for books, it depends what you want from the books, I've got a book that taught me how to Knit, but I don't have any pattern books. For books i'd say go to a book shop so that you can look in them and see if what's inside are things you think you'd knit.

Everyone here is always ready for any advice you need so don't hesitate to ask :-)

cecile77
07-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Congratulations on finishing up your projects! :cheering: As for what to make next you might want to start with baby items. They are small so you can finish them quickly. My favorite reference book is the Vogue Knitting hardcover. It has everything in there from different types of yarn, to finishing techniques and blocking. The illustrations are good, too. I've never done Continental knitting so I can't offer you any advice on that. The people on this site are great at giving advice so I'm sure you'll be getting pointers on that soon. Good luck with your next project!

GiddyKnitter
07-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi all
I learnt to knit when I was about 8 by my mum I used to knit scarves for my dolls. When I was pregnant thats when I really started to get going knitting baby clothes (tons of them). I continued to knit when I started back to work at the hospital on nught duty and have not stopped since! Last year I learned to knit socks on 4 needles and someone said to me "When you have knitted your first pair you will get the sock bug" and believe me I have! Socks are really easy to knit once you have got the hang of 4 needles and the yarns are fab, I am doing some at the moment using Artesano Aplaca Hummingbird and its lovely. So anyone out there who is thinking "I cant knit socks" you can!!! In the back of the monthly knitting magazines Knitting or Simply knitting they teach you to knit and chrochet. So good luck xx

LadyB
07-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I finally borrowed a book from the library and learned how to knit. I knitted a scarf and a dish pad using the knit stitch and decreasing and increasing. Now what? Should make the bag or the socks?

You should make the one you would most like to have.

have no idea what needles to buy. I saw some thread on Option? What is this? Some advices I received was to just purchase circular needles, better investments and more usefulness. Addi needles?

Options are interchangable circular needles from Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com). They are Wonderful to knit with! Similar to Addi, but much less expensive.

As to methods, majority of people I talked to preferred the continental method, faster, better for the wrist. I've found hardly any books illustrating the continental method, like holding the yarn, the needle. I knitted the scarf and dish pad using the English method. Should I learn the Continental method? Will I be able to understand pattern instructions if I know the Continental method?

The method used is a matter of preference. I have tried continental, but learned English and am better at it, so I prefer it. Check Amy's videos here and you can check out both methods.

Books? What are some books I should own? Are the Debbie Bliss books worth anything? If anyone has any advice on books for the Continental method, it would be much appreciated.

Books are another personal preference matter. Find the one(s) you like and get them. Previewing books through your library is a good way to see if you would like to own a book.

Welcome to the forum!

BostonBecca
07-22-2007, 03:50 PM
You faked me out. Newbie Knitter is the name of my blog.

Guess I should have expected something like this.