PDA

View Full Version : Afghans 4 injured Military UPDATE

nascardudette
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone ... I found and joined this charity knitting project http://www.rectangle6x9.org/ on THIS forum .

It is so awesome .. they make and deliver afghans to military men and women injured while serving our country.

So I thought I would send along the update I received regarding this weekends put together project. They made 106 afghans using 5194 6x9 donated squares! That makes a total of
831 Handmade Afghans!

There is a link on their website with pictures of the afghans - they are so beautiful. http://www.rectangle6x9.org/

IF you want to participate or obtain more info please CONTACT Deborah @ Rectangle6x9@comcast.net (Rectangle6x9@comcast.net)

The next put together event is Sept .. I am beginning my square stash to send along for this one.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING:
Donations are needed of cash for postage and supplies as well as worsted weight acryilic yarn to crochet together the next set of blankets together ..

God bless ... KC

Ellen Edwards
08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for posting this--I think that our service men and women deserve this and so much more!

I'm going to begin knitting a 6x9 rectangle --I have plenty of acrylic I bought when i first started knitting!:happydance:

nascardudette
08-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Trudy
You are very welcome and I am SOOOOO happy you would like to participate.

I whole heartedly agree with you ... our brave men and women sacrifice so very much each day, and to now have to deal with injuries, it is heart wrenching! I am so happy to be able to contribute something to their recovery.

It is a fun project for me as I get bored easily and like to change up what I am working on. I am on my 6th square and each is a different pattern which keeps things fun.

It is a good way to use up the acrylic yarns and a very good portable project or one for beginners.

Thanks again for the reply and for participation.

Kanda

Susan P.
08-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Those are incredibly lovely. It was a pleasure looking at the finished items on the site. Someone so carefully placed squares in nice patterns and finished them off. Great job!

Has there been any correspondence back from people who have received them?

nascardudette
08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi Susan .. it IS amazing how beautiful the afghans turnout. I have not seen anything on the site from receipients - but there was a thank you from the chaplain.

KC

GennyLynn1962
08-08-2007, 09:27 AM
KC- thanks for posting the link!

I would love to join in on this, it's such a worthy cause.

I also have a lot of acrylic yarn that I bought when I started knitting, it would be a great way to use it. Knitting the rectangles would also be a break from the large projects I currently have OTN, and something to work on in the car.

I'll start knitting some up, I'm still slow, but I will eventually get some done and shipped off.

I agree, they have done a wonderful job putting the rectangles together, the afghans look wonderful!!

nascardudette
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Genny .. I am so excited that you would like to participate, it is a heartwarming project. My son is in Iraq, and this is one of my ways of "giving" and "remembering" to those that serve to protect us every minute of every day. I believe that these afghans support the families as well as the service men and women.

Enjoy the projects .. it is a great way to practice new stitches .. I have done some mock cables and other fun stitches and as you said a GREAT TRAVEL project .

Thanks again for your response. KC

GennyLynn1962
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I will be thinking about you and your son, and please let him know that he is appreciated!:hug:

I have done some squares before, I do use them to practice new things, I figure if I mess it up it's no big deal, a square is not a problem to frog.:teehee:

nascardudette
08-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone .. the next Put Together event for the 6x9 rectangle project to make afghans for injured military men and women, is on September 23. Lots of time to contribute a square or 2. :guyknitting:

For this event ONLY they are accepting 6x9 squares in Homespun or other #5 acrylic yarns.

For more information visit their site:
http://www.rectangle6x9.org/

Thanks to all those of you that have responded to this posting with your kind words .. and generous efforts.

And from one military mom to the rest of you with military connections .. you know what I mean when I say .... HOORAH, OORAH & HOOYAH ..

KC

MrsAbi
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Thank you for sharing this KC! My husband and I are currently stationed at Ft. Lewis. I'll be leaving in a couple week to continue working on my degree back home. We'll be going though our first deployment in the spring and it has just been tearing me up inside that we'll probably only get to spend about 1 1/2 months together over the next 2 years.

I'm definately going to make some sqaures. I think it would be very theraputic.

MrsAbi
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
My manly-man DH just got home and I showed him the site and he agreed to learn how to crochet ust for this.

nascardudette
08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
MRS ABi and hubby...
First and foremoste THANK YOU to both of you, for your service to our country! We are so blessed to have people like you in these very important roles. I so understand the sacrifices you make in your personal life and want you to Know that you are in my families prayers.

My husband was in the army for 14 years and was stationed in Ft Lewis for a few years as well! As a matter of fact we were just up in Eatonville over 4th of July for a family reunion, what a small world.

I hope you enjoy the knitting and crocheting as it is for a wonderful cause. And yes .. it is very theraputic in many ways.

Gods speed to you. KC

nascardudette
08-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Anyone interested in donating to this wonderful cause should contact Deborah at Email: Rectangle6x9@comcast.net (Rectangle6x9@comcast.net)

She will send along a Welcome email with all the information needed to participate in this program.

Thanks so very much to all of you that have contacted me regarding this project. Can't wait to see the next sets of afghans that will be finished in September!

God bless ... KC

nascardudette
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone .. I am posting a link to pictures of the beautiful Handmade Afghans for wounded military service members.

www.rectangle6x9.shutterfly.com (http://www.rectangle6x9.shutterfly.com)

I sent off my squares for this septembers put together event. Time to start a new stash :woot:

There is still time to get them out for this event. They need to be in Maryland by 9/18/07

Have a wonderful week... KC

StarStrong
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi! I thought I would jump in and get this thread going again...
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project
still needs your help!!:poke:
In 2008 we will need 600 handmade afghans to make our deliveries to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and
to Bagram Combat Medical Center in Afghanistan
YOU can help by making
6"x9" acrylic rectangles (ww yarn) :yay:
Hope you will join us!!!
For more information check our website at www.rectangle6x9.org
To join drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net
Thank you for helping to thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

StarStrong
01-30-2008, 07:42 AM
A big :thumbsup: thank you for nascardudette for the
6"x9" rectangles!
They arrived yesterday in plenty of time for our design event on Sunday.
Thanks!!!!!!
Deborah

nascardudette
01-31-2008, 01:26 AM
This is such a wonderful organization .. a great way to say thank you for the sacrafice these wonderful men and women have made so that we are SAFE and FREE here in the USA!!!
Anyone else have a little bit of time and yarn to contribute some squares towards these beautiful afghans?

salos
01-31-2008, 08:28 AM
This is a great group to be associated with. :happydance:

StarStrong
02-02-2008, 09:48 AM
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project is a day away from our next Put Together Event (PTE) where we design the handmade afghans for our military members wounded in service to our country.
Thought I would give you an update on our 6"x9" rectangle count...right now we have/have coming to the event
over 8,000 6"x9" rectangles!!! :woohoo:
Enough to lay out over 170 handmade afghans.

Thank you :cheering: to EVERYONE who contributed one or more 6"x9" rectangles!!!

We will need more 6"x9" (acrylic) rectangles soon - please think of making one or more. If you are interested drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you more info.
Thank YOU for helping to thank those wounded in service to our country!!! Deborah

SabrinaJL
02-02-2008, 11:54 PM
We'll be going though our first deployment in the spring and it has just been tearing me up inside that we'll probably only get to spend about 1 1/2 months together over the next 2 years.

Hugs to you, MrsAbi. :grphug: My husband has been in the navy for 13 1/2 years so I know how much being apart sucks.

This is a great idea. Count me in for some rectangles. :)

StarStrong
02-03-2008, 07:09 AM
This is a great idea. Count me in for some rectangles. :)

Sabrina welcome to HAP! Drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you more information! Deborah

StarStrong
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
:balloons:
Thanks to EVERYONE who made 6"x9" rectangles
for our design event on February 3rd
with your help we were able to lay out
164 handmade afghans
to thank those wounded in service to our country!:woohoo:

Now it's time to get started on collecting 6"x9" rectangles for our April 2008 design event!
Wouldn't you make ONE 6"x9" acrylic rectangle???

SabrinaJL
02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I've got 2 done and am working on the 3rd. :)

Gertie
02-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Thank you for helping our guys n gals. A family friend is on his way back to Iraq right now.

I have some Red Heart in storage. Is RH OK to use? I'm working on a helmetliner now. I can make some rectangles after it's finished.

StarStrong
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Thank you for helping our guys n gals. A family friend is on his way back to Iraq right now.

I have some Red Heart in storage. Is RH OK to use? I'm working on a helmetliner now. I can make some rectangles after it's finished.

Red Heart is perfect (just not pink and pastels) - drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you more hints and information.
Thanks!! Deborah

StarStrong
02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I've got 2 done and am working on the 3rd. :)

Excellent!! :woot:
Every 6"x9" rectangle brings us a step closer to thanking another member of our military wounded in service!!

kellyh57
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I have some Wool Ease that I can make some rectangles with, but it has some wool in it. On the website is says acrylic only, but this is machine washable. Is it okay or do I need to stick to 100% acrylic?

Kelly

StarStrong
02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I have some Wool Ease that I can make some rectangles with, but it has some wool in it. On the website is says acrylic only, but this is machine washable. Is it okay or do I need to stick to 100% acrylic?

Kelly

Kelly,
Hi! Woolease is a wonderful yarn but not for this project. We have to be extra careful only to use 100 % acrylic so no one has an allegic reaction. They are already wounded and in the hospital. We don't want to cause any other problems. Thanks SO much for asking!!!
Thanks, Deborah

StarStrong
02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi!!
I wanted to share with you a milestone
reached this week....

Over 1,000 finished handmade afghans!! :thumbsup:

This is a small number compared to the number of service people wounded in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq but our 100% volunteer organization is doing our part to bring warmth and comfort to the wounded.

Will you help us??
If you are interested in making 6" x 9" acrylic rectangles
please send me an email at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you our welcome email with lots of helpful information

SabrinaJL
02-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm still working on the rectangles. I'm on my 9th one now. :)

StarStrong
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm still working on the rectangles. I'm on my 9th one now. :)

Excellent!! :yay:
Every 6"x9" rectangle is a way to thank those wounded in service to our country!!!!
Thanks, Deborah

StarStrong
02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Will you join the 6"x9" Challenge??

You are challenged to make at least one 6"x9" rectangle a week until March 31st...... it is only 7 6"x9" acrylic rectangles!!
If everyone who looks at this thread helps we will have MANY more 6"x9" rectangles to make handmade afghans to thank those wounded in service to our country!

For more information email me at Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Thank YOU for helping to thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

StarStrong
02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
:poke:
Are you in?

Nikkilc
02-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I will make some if you could send me information of where to send them

lmsloman
02-24-2008, 01:19 PM
My grandmother and I are working on some rectangles for this, I think it's a brilliant idea!! She's bragging that she's already got about 10 done so far. It's a great way to practice perfecting your tension! As a novice knitter, I need all the practice I can get!

StarStrong
02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I will make some if you could send me information of where to send them

Just sent you a PM....
anyone interested in making 6"x9" rectangles (acrylic only) for
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Force Project

please, please, please :psst:
drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net
so I can send you the "welcome note" with detailed information
on our needs.

Thank you for your interest in helping to thank those wounded in service, Deborah

StarStrong
03-01-2008, 10:50 AM
If you are interested in trying out new stitches and helping others.... this is a great project for you!!! :waving:

The 6"x9" acrylic rectangles can be made in almost ANY stitch!!!
Thought you would like to see how that cable looks but didn't want to do a swatch? How about that neat triangle pattern?

Give it a try
and then donate the 6"x9" rectangle
to
help thank those wounded in service to our country!!!!
The only stitches that do not work well are ribbing and very lacy stitches. Let your imagination fly!!! :woot:

StarStrong
03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
:hmm:
You all are very quiet.. does that mean you are busy making 6"x9" acrylic rectangles to help thank those wounded in service to our country? Crossed Fingers

StarStrong
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Want to learn more about what The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project is about??? :thumbsup:
Check out the video links at the top of this story....

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-04-17-voa42.cfm

Then join us!
Drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you more information about the project :yay:

Hope you will help us thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

margz3
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank you so much for this info! I am new to this site (this is my very first post!) There is no one more deserving than our military heroes! Though I do not have a family member in the service, I am active in my local VFW and have been doing a bit of volunteering for our local Blue Star Mother's chapter. Though I am not a very experienced knitter (working on it!) I have just created a pattern to make a BSM square - haven't started on it yet (need to finish a blanket for an upcoming baby shower firstCrossed Fingers ) but am excited to try it out! I will DEFINITELY do up some squares for this worthy cause - GREAT take along knitting!

StarStrong
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Thank you so much for this info! I am new to this site (this is my very first post!) There is no one more deserving than our military heroes! Though I do not have a family member in the service, I am active in my local VFW and have been doing a bit of volunteering for our local Blue Star Mother's chapter. Though I am not a very experienced knitter (working on it!) I have just created a pattern to make a BSM square - haven't started on it yet (need to finish a blanket for an upcoming baby shower firstCrossed Fingers ) but am excited to try it out! I will DEFINITELY do up some squares for this worthy cause - GREAT take along knitting!

Welcome Aboard!!!
If you haven't already drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net and I'll send you more detailed information about making 6"x9" rectangles.
Thank you for your interest in helping those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I emailed you. I didn't know this was going on and had messaged Shandeh about Operation HOmefront.

StarStrong
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I emailed you. I didn't know this was going on and had messaged Shandeh about Operation HOmefront.

Just got home from work and answered your email...... :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
And I have answered you!

StarStrong
04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
And I have answered you!

Welcome Aboard!!! :knitting:

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 07:24 PM
I just got back from Wal-Mart where I got some Bernat Softee Chunky in red and white and navy (they didn't have slightly brighter blue) and black for the other charity squares. I am ready to knit!

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 10:15 PM
EWWWWWWW!!! I HATE Softee Chunky yarn!

StarStrong
04-26-2008, 04:29 AM
EWWWWWWW!!! I HATE Softee Chunky yarn!

Never used it so can't help there. The yarns I recommend for making 6"x9" rectangles are the nice smooth worsted weight yarns... like Red Heart Super Saver, Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, Bernat Berella "4" or Bernat Super Value. They are easy to use and make nice rectangles.

Good luck on your knitting!!!

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I have some Vanna's Choice but it's mustard. I like it, but will soldiers? I'll get more but I can't today and I want to make rectangles.

StarStrong
04-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I have some Vanna's Choice but it's mustard. I like it, but will soldiers? I'll get more but I can't today and I want to make rectangles.

Mustard color is perfect!!!!! Think "male" as you decide on colors - remember no pink, peach or pastels (any colors). Brights are fine.

heatherg23
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi,
Already a member. 33 rectangles and growing.........Since they need 49 per blanket I hope to make at least 70 or 80 by July 13th which is when they have their Put-Togethor party.

Thanks for the posting, it's a great charity.

Heather
:knitting:

StarStrong
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi,
Already a member. 33 rectangles and growing.........Since they need 49 per blanket I hope to make at least 70 or 80 by July 13th which is when they have their Put-Togethor party.

Thanks for the posting, it's a great charity.

Heather
:knitting:

The cool thing about the afghans made by The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project is all those rectangles of yours will be designed into lots of different afghan. Meaning you will have personally touched the "thank you notes of warmth" given to those Wounded Warriors :woot:

heatherg23
04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
why are there 5 pages of the same post,asking the same thing over and over again......it's a little hard to follow.

StarStrong
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
why are there 5 pages of the same post,asking the same thing over and over again......it's a little hard to follow.

Think it's because the thread was started by someone else in July 2007 and I've been trying to keep it alive..... not many posts from other people so once in a while I just post the general information about the project so people will know it's still going on.

This is an informational post - the actual update posts for The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project are from the HAP Listserv and on the HAP Forum.

Hope that answered your question.

StarStrong
05-08-2008, 04:10 AM
:waving: to EVERYONE wanting to help
thank those wounded in service to our country!!!

We have a goal for our next Put Together (design) Event in July 2008...
to design 200 handmade afghans

9,800 6"x9" rectangles are needed.
Every ONE counts!!!
So grab your knitting needles and join the fun to thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

www.rectangle6x9.org

Feather
05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I have four sons in the military. One of them is shipping out this month. I will be making lots of squares to send for this project. I wish I had found it before!:yay:

StarStrong
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I have four sons in the military. One of them is shipping out this month. I will be making lots of squares to send for this project. I wish I had found it before!:yay:

Please thank your sons for their service - it is appreciated!!!

When you get a moment drop me a note at rectangle6x9@comcast.net so I can send you more information on rectangle requirements and how to join the HAP Listserv (it is used to send out updates and announcements).
Welcome Aboard! :p

nascardudette
05-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Feather
What an awesome service your family is providing to our nation! You are truly a blue star mom!!!!! May God bless you and your boys and keep them safe and filled with faith and joy. I have a son in the Army in Iraq -due to come stateside by Aug YEAHHH and my daughters boyfriend is a Marine in Japan due to come stateside Aug also. Enjoy your new knitting project .. it is a very wonderful group, with an even better purpose! Welcome aboard!

jdee
05-24-2008, 04:45 AM
:waving: to EVERYONE wanting to help
thank those wounded in service to our country!!!

We have a goal for our next Put Together (design) Event in July 2008...
to design 200 handmade afghans

9,800 6"x9" rectangles are needed.
Every ONE counts!!!
So grab your knitting needles and join the fun to thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah

www.rectangle6x9.org (http://www.rectangle6x9.org)
I sent you an email. I just learned about this and would like to help.

StarStrong
05-24-2008, 05:36 AM
I sent you an email. I just learned about this and would like to help.

Just sent you the "welcome note" that includes a bunch more information about The Handmade Afghans Project.

Welcome Aboard!! :happydance:

StarStrong
06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
:woohoo:
We now have over 13,0006"x9" Rectangles
to make HAP handmade afghans
to thank those wounded in service to our country
(and I KNOW more are on their way)

Our goal is still to lay out 200 afghans on July 13th.
Our designers are going to have SO many choices because of your hard work

and we will have some "seed" rectangles for our September 2008 Put Together (design) Event!!!

Thank YOU for helping!! :woot:

StarStrong
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks to everyone's hard work on making
6" by 9" acrylic rectangles
has now made
handmade afghansThis includes the designs from the September 14th (2008) event, those Rectangle Sets (designs) waiting to be joined together, the finished Rectangle Sets - now HAP afghans and the over 1,400 already delivered!

Thank you to each of you who have got your knitting needles "clicking" to thank those wounded in service to our country!

www.rectangle6x9.org

sgtpam
09-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now...I joined HAP in July and got my sister sending me 6x9's to add to mine. I love it!

I'm SgtPam on HAP.

StarStrong
10-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Today
The Handmade Afghans to
Thank Our Armed Forces Project
will deliver our
1,500th
Handmade Afghan
to thank our wounded service men and women

Thank you to everyone at KnittingHelp who have helped make this possible!!
There are more wounded service members to whom we need to bring warmth - Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StarStrong
01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I thought it would be fun to throw a challenge out there for everyone making 6”x9” rectangles for our March Put Together Event…. here it is:

I challenge you to make one rectangle using a new stitch! :psst:

It can be a combination that is different than you’ve done before. Like something other than garter like a basket weave
for our advanced people - add a cable or a heart into the pattern :heart:

So ….. will you take my challenge and if so…. what stitch will YOU be trying?

binda
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
thank you so much dear

KnittyBoo
01-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Just an FYI, I have been excited all week to join the 6x9 Rectangles group. You can imagine my disappointment to find that they are "At this time we are working at capacity and not able to accept new members."

I am so sad, if I just would have signed up on Friday.. :cry: :pout:

Oh well.. wasn't meant to be.