PDA

View Full Version : this is probably a silly question re: stitches left on stitch holder

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Do i cut the yarn leaving a long tail or not? I am making the Weasley Sweater for my son on page 2 of "Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter" and I just finished the back of the sweater. All the instructions say is to "place remaining 0 stitchs on stitch holder for neck." it doesn't say whether or not to cut the yarn. Later on (once I have the front and sleaves done) i have to go around and pick up the stitches with a size 8 16" circular needle.

I am rather new to knitting (at this point i've only knitted some baby hats) and this is my most challenging project yet... any help is greatly appreciated..

Stacia

Ingrid
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Cut the yarn and leave a tail. When you pick up those stitches later, you can knit a few stitches with the regular yarn and the tail held together to secure it. Then you can weave some of the end in later.

I usually leave about a foot of yarn hanging.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
could i also use the tail from it to stitch the shoulder seams together or would that mess up the tension? my "stitch holder" right now is another size 8 knitting needle with a point protector on it....

Ingrid
07-22-2007, 10:15 PM
You could use the tail for seaming.

If you want to, you can thread a piece of yarn through the stitches on hold, too, if you need the needle.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-23-2007, 12:13 AM
the needle i'm using for the stitch holder is one of the ones that came in the "learn to knit" cd rom kit that i'd bought a few years ago and ended up burying in my closet because i was too intimidated and frustrated (at that time i was crocheting up a storm.. funny how carpal tunnel can make you switch crafts LOL) and it's way too short for the number of stitches i need it to hold... right now i'm working on the front of the sweater (i need to do the stockingette stitch for 12 1/2 inches before i can start the graph for my son's initial)...

If anyone else is making this pattern and customizing it, i found the "All Star" font to work best graph wise... i'll post a picture in my blog when i'm done with it...