PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting Lasik on Sat!

Mulderknitter
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I am so excited!:blooby::woot::woohoo:
I have had glasses/contacts since I was 5 (I'm 30) and can't wait to get rid of the hassle!
The only thing I'm scared of is that I won't be able to knit for the weekend? Has anyone had this?

Sharly
07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh, how exciting for you!! :cheering:DH has had glasses since he was 18 months old, and was recently evalutated for Lasik. Unfortunately, he is not a candidate. :cry:

From what I have heard, you should'nt have any problem knitting!!

Hey - keep us posted on how you are doing!! Good luck!

Kaydee
07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
That's so exciting!! I can't imagine having to wear glasses since I was so young (although little kids with glasses are so cute!). I just got glasses a few years ago and even they're just for driving and distance. I've heard though that its a really cool experience when you can see w/o glasses or contacts for the first time. Good luck!!!

kellyh57
07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I did it 5 years ago, but it seems like it was just yesterday!

I was pregnant (just found out the week before and they okay-ed it since my vision was exactly the same as the year before) so I couldn't take the Valium they offered. It burned a little bit. I had to wear the geeky sunglasses, but I got to go home right away. I had "mayonnaise" vision for the first hour or so. I could see fine, but it was like I was looking through a greasy window or dirty glasses. I went home and slept as recommended. When I woke up my eyes were burning like crazy. My medication had worn off and my eyes were really dry. I put some stuff in them and just had a minor burning sensation for the rest of the evening. The next day it was like nothing had happened. I had to wear goggles in the shower and couldn't wear eye make-up for a few weeks, but the healing went very quickly. Other than using some eye drops for the first week or so, you shouldn't notice anything! Knitting shouldn't be a problem as soon as the initial couple of hours have passed.

Kelly

auburnchick
07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
About four years ago, I had two procedures...Lasik in one eye and PRK in the other eye. One of my corneas wasn't thick enough to one of the procedures (can't remember which was which), but they were still able to correct the vision with the other procedure.

I, too, had worn glasses from the time I was about two or three, and we're talking thick lenses, plus I had contact lenses from the time I was in the first or second grade. I had very, very bad eyes, but a really great surgeon down in south FL was willing to work with me to get my eyes ready.

It was an amazing experience. You'll smell a burning smell during the procedure, but it doesn't hurt. You'll notice some pressure, but again no pain. The feeling you'll have when you sit up and can see across the room...

:passedout:

I cried when the doctor asked me what time it was, and I could read the clock on the wall across the room. All the way home, I acted like a kid who had just learned how to read..."There's Publix, that street name is 'so-and-so'."

I drove myself to my follow-up appointment (20 minutes away) the next day. I was shocked!

Your vision will continue to improve over several weeks as the healing processes finishes.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :muah:

Mulderknitter
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the support guys! they say i need to take a nap after, which should be fine since I'm getting it at 9:30 am and I can ALWAYS sleep. I'm a bit nervous though because of my panic/anxiety disorder. I'm already on meds for it, I just hope the valium helps! (except that i tend to worry about overmdication, lol)
I will update after!:muah:

Indygirl
07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm so happy for you. I had it done about 6 years ago. I too cried like a kid, I was so happy. The nurse ask how many fingers from across the room. I could see her hands right after the procedure.
The Dr. told me it was ok for me to take a xanax before I went. I slept all afternoon. I opened my eye's to quickly when I woke up and I got a little wrinkle in one eye. That was not a problem though. I went back in the next day and he smothed it out and all was well. You will do just fine.

auburnchick
07-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Mulder, don't be anxious. It's a very easy procedure these days. I did not take anything beforehand (they didn't even offer), and I did just fine. I don't like needles or anything, and I was totally okay.

Focus on how wonderfully you'll be able to see. Feed on that emotion. You're gonna do great! I'll be thinking of you!

itsjustmeghan
07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
SO JEALOUS SO JEALOUS SO JEALOUS SO JEALOUS!!!!!
i've been wanting lasik for the past few years. my eyes haven't changed, but we haven't had the money! i told DH if i can find a job making the same amount i make now, we're getting the interest free financing so i can see forever!
my only problem is, owen nurses once a day still....i wonder if they'll let me do it? :pray::pray::pray:i sure hope so!

let us know how it goes!

tootie44
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I had it done about 6 years ago. I also had worn glasses since 1st grade, and my vision was horrible. The worst part was how sensitive to light I was that evening (had it done after work around 4pm) but I could see amazingly well even minutes after. I am so glad I had it done, it has literally changed my life! DH did it too a few months later.

You will probably be able to knit the next day. Good luck!

kayeknit
07-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I had LASIK almost ten years ago. I'm sure it's much more advanced now, but even back then, it was a pretty simple procedure. (Very fast, too.) I remember having to tape these lenses over my eyes while I slept for a day or two (?) after the surgery. But I think I was blurry only for the first day. I'm certain you'll be able to knit very soon afterwards. Good luck!!

jeanius80
07-28-2007, 02:24 AM
ooOOOoo0 i am so secretly jealous! ;)
i have had to wear corrective lenses since i was 8 or so.:pout: i really want lasik. i wear contacts constantly now, and i sleep with them in (i KNOW!! :oo:) so that i can see and find my dd at night when i have to get up to bf her. w/o the lenses i can't even read at a comfortable distance. i would have to hold the book up about 6 inches away or so. :ick:

those of you who have had it done, how did you go about selecting a dr/office?

zkimom
07-28-2007, 07:13 AM
I hope all goes well for you today! That is so cool and I am adding my name to the list of the (not so) secretly jealous!

Hooray for you!

Best,
Susan

auburnchick
07-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Good luck today!!! Please let us know how it went!

As far as picking a doctor, make sure you pick a person who has done a ton of procedures. My doctor had operated on professional athletes. Since I lived in south FL, I was fortunate that my doctor had operated on athletes from the Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat, and Florida Marlins teams. I figured if a professional like that was going to trust him with their eyes, piddly little me would be safe in his hands. Plus, a friend had her eyes done by this doctor, so I had a personal reference.

Mulderknitter
07-28-2007, 03:02 PM
short note-eyees slightly burning but can see! I still have my sunglasses on, took a 2 hr nap. Scary procedure having allt those things put in your eyes but it didn't hurt.
for the first time EVER I could read the #'s on the houses across the street! I recocnized my husband without my glasses on!
I treated myselof for the 1st time in about 2 years to mcdonalds for lunch 2 cheeseburgers and fries. my tummy is paying for it but it was so good!
thaks everyone for the encouragement!

Indygirl
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm so happy for you. It just get's better with time. One of the things I liked best, I could drive without glasses, I could read the street signs. Everything looked brighter to me. You should be knitting by tomorrow ;-)

1knittychick
07-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm having it done as well, probably over Christmas break. I had to have cataract surgery(by the way went very well). The doctor said I was a good candidate and will probably only have to use Wal Mart reading glasses.

Mulderknitter
07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Sorry about the cataract surgery, but glad it went ok! now you can have lasik! yea!
:yay:

auburnchick
07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Mulder, I'm so glad things went well! Remember that your eyes will start hurting when they get dry. Make sure you keep them wet with eye drops.

Sharly
07-28-2007, 08:40 PM
So happy for you and thankful things went well! :):yay:

kellz123
09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Anyone here had lasik eye surgery recently? I have been researching lasik information (http://www.docshop.com/education/vision/refractive/lasik/) for a few months now and I think I am ready for the surgery. Any suggestions?

Mulderknitter
09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I did just have it and the only recommendation is to make sure that you take the eye drops and make the follow up exams after to make sure there are no problems. Let us know how it goes!

Indygirl
09-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I had it about 5 years ago. It's great! You will go home and rest for the afternoon. Make sure you put the drops in often. I had a sm. problem with a wrinkle on the lens when I woke up. I went back the next day and he smothed it out and all was well. I love it though. I can drive and see everything without glasses or contact's. I see the alarm clock when I wake up :woohoo: It's just wonderful! Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Mulderknitter
09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
For some reason for me the best part of lasik is right away in the morning, being able to read the alarm clock and being able to see in the shower. I have NEVER been able to see in the shower. this is cool for me for 2 reasons. 1. I hate bugs. Before I had lasik I got in the shower and thought it was just hair but it turned out to be a big huge fuzzy centipede and I ran screaming naked wet from the shower. not funny at the time, but funny now:roflhard: 2. my cat Itchy likes to come play with us in the shower. He sits between the 2 curtains and likes to be pet through the clear plastic and squirted by the shower so he can play. He was always out of focus and now it's great cuz I can see his cute little tongue sticking out for the water:yay:

auburnchick
09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Having lasik is a decision you will always be happy with.

I love, love, love my "new" eyes. I love being able to go to the beach or watch my kids play soccer without stuff getting into my eyes!

Do make sure you use the drops. You may want to get someone to help you with them at first. I accidentally got the drops in my mouth the first couple of times. :ick: Maybe you have better aim than me. :teehee:

Also make sure you don't rub your eyes for a while afterward. I'm still leery about rubbing mine, and it's been several years.

scout52
09-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Congrats!!! I had lasik last year. I've worn glasses since the 2nd grade, contacts since 13 and I"m 30 now. Isn't the best moment when right after they sit you up, you can see the clock right across the room? i also kept reading all the street signs excitedly. strangely i keep reaching for my glasses every morning. i still haven't broken that habit yet.

i knitted the next day after my surgery. i jsut made sure i used my eye drops as required. don't miss any of your appointments or your eye drops. i do find that my eyes are dry after a plane ride now though.

dakatzmeow
09-09-2007, 12:06 PM
*sigh* maybe when my tax return comes in next year?:verysad:

CTbarb
09-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad it went so well and was a success. My almost 18 year old ds wants it some day, he has terrible vision and has since he was very young. His doctor did say he'd be a good candidate.

auburnchick
09-09-2007, 03:02 PM
*sigh* maybe when my tax return comes in next year?:verysad:

Does your job offer pre-tax medical reimbursement/flex benefits? You know...where you get money taken out of your paycheck pre-taxes and then have that money available to spend of allowed medical expenses such as prescriptions and certain procedures.

This is how we always pay for our children's orthodontic work. One year, we had the money taken out, but then the orthodontist told us our son wasn't ready for braces yet. Because we were going to lose the money if we didn't use it, we decided that I would get my surgery, if I was a candidate. It took us three months to prep my eyes after years of wearing contacts, but we did use that money (along with a separate hunk of change).

dakatzmeow
09-09-2007, 10:09 PM
that's how i plan to do mine too. i'll use my tax return to pay for it, then use my flex$ to get my pre-tax money back. ;)

dagny
09-10-2007, 01:08 PM
For some reason for me the best part of lasik is right away in the morning, being able to read the alarm clock and being able to see in the shower. I have NEVER been able to see in the shower. this is cool for me for 2 reasons. 1. I hate bugs. Before I had lasik I got in the shower and thought it was just hair but it turned out to be a big huge fuzzy centipede and I ran screaming naked wet from the shower. not funny at the time, but funny now:roflhard: 2. my cat Itchy likes to come play with us in the shower. He sits between the 2 curtains and likes to be pet through the clear plastic and squirted by the shower so he can play. He was always out of focus and now it's great cuz I can see his cute little tongue sticking out for the water:yay:

:roflhard: I know exactly what you mean. So funny! I hope to get lasik someday so that I can see in the shower too :wink:

1to1
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
You are so lucky! I'm not a candidate. :waah:

I had it paid and everything and then they said my eyes aren't round enough. That was like 8 yrs ago and I still call and ask if there are any new procedures.

Enjoy your new sight!!:cool:

auburnchick
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
You are so lucky! I'm not a candidate. :waah:

I had it paid and everything and then they said my eyes aren't round enough. That was like 8 yrs ago and I still call and ask if there are any new procedures.

Enjoy your new sight!!:cool:

I have to tell you that if they could do the surgery on me, they can do it on anyone. I had some of the worst eyes my doctor had ever performed surgery on. I had a severe astigmatism in both eyes...something like -11 in one eye and -9 in the other. My vision, I was told, was something equatable to 20/2000.

When I had my surgery, the doctor called in some people who were training just to hear about my case.

I had all but given hope of ever having this done, but that doctor was amazing. He was determined to help me. That's why he did two different procedures too.

I strongly urge you to go to a very reputable doctor who has the latest technology. If you're ever in south FL, I can recommend my doctor (I get nothing, mind you...just the satisfaction of helping another person).

:muah:

Sharly
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
My hubby was just evaluated and is not a candidate, either. This from the premiere surgeon in our area. They did offer him a lens replacement surgery, though. It's the same type surgery they do for cataracts and is bascially a permanently implanted contact lens. He is still contemplating it. Of course, it is way, way more expensive and more invasive than the lasik. Poor DH has been wearing glasses since he was 18 months old. He has the most sensitive eyes and won't even try contacts. He also has photophobia which is a sensitivity to light. I wonder how the surgery would affect that as well...