PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Bi-knitter now!

zkimom
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I officially have taught myself to knit English. I've been knitting either combined or continental since I was a child and was always puzzled by how anyone could control the yarn with their right hand. It just seemed so awkward to me.

But I am preparing to teach a knitting class and felt that English knitting was a skill I should have up my sleeve. So with the help of Amy's videos and my 9 yo dd who knits English, I picked up my needles and forged ahead.

This is what I discovered: my garter stitch looks so much better than when I knit Continental and my gauge is much tighter. I'm a loose knitter when I knit Continental so this can be a good thing.

I'm much better at knitting than purling and I'm no speed demon by any means but I made a fairly respectable baby hat knitting English and I'm knitting English style on the Shapely tank that I have frogged at least 8 times till I can get my short row shaping the way I want it.

It's kind of fun to do all that yarn throwing stuff.

Now I really know that it doesn't matter which way you knit, it's just what floats your boat!

And really - I'm a tri-knitter cause I can now knit combined, continental and english! Yippee!:cheering:

Best,
Susan

kayeknit
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Good for you!
I don't think I could ever learn how to knit Continental style. (How could anyone control the yarn with their left hand!?!?) :lol:

newamy
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I find holding the yarn in my left hand awkward- but I'm planning to try a little continental swatch here soon. My one attempt at a crochet lesson I had a terrible time holding the yarn in my left- I was more successful with the yarn in my right hand and the hook in my left which is call left handed crochet!

redheadrachel
08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Ooh, congrats! Isn't it fun to be able to do several different styles? And now you can Fair Isle with both hands!! :happydance:

Slim
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
You're the first person I've ever heard of who learned Continental, and then decided to learn English! Good for you! I don't think it matters how you knit as long as you enjoy it. It does annoy me, though, when people make disparaging remarks about English style knitting/knitters. For example, I heard a designer on Knitty Gritty yesterday say that she learned to knit Continental because she wanted to finish more than one garment a year! What a silly attitude over something as inconsequential as a style of knitting!

redheadrachel
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
For example, I heard a designer on Knitty Gritty yesterday say that she learned to knit Continental because she wanted to finish more than one garment a year! What a silly attitude over something as inconsequential as a style of knitting!
Yeah, I heard that on Knitty Gritty yesterday! AND it was Vicki Square, the author of the Knitter's Companion! I was kind of shocked, and I think Vickie Howell seemed to be, too. I'm a continental knitter now, but, like most of the people here on KH, I think both are good if you choose which is the best for you. I understand liking your own way, but that was kind of strange comment. :shrug:

chrislt8
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
zkimom - that's great!!! I think it is super that you wanted to have both skills under your belt for teaching-I think that will benefit both you and your students! Good for you!!!

What is funny is that I just taught myself continental (originally learned English) and my gauge is much tighter and more even with the continental style LOL - go figure! Actually, I can't decide which I prefer so switch back and forth between the two based on either mood or pattern. However, if I am doing ribbing or patterns with a lot of k/p switches I prefer contintental 'cause it drives me batty in English moving the yarn back to front in quick repeated successions to switch stitches. I love being comfortable with both styles!

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to look at combined now - not sure exactly what that is, I'm off to check out the video!

ekgheiy
08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the bi-knitter club!! :thumbsup: