PDA

View Full Version : FO: KHAKI CABLES IS DONE! :-)

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi!

Finally! D-o-n-e! After laboring on this cardigan for 2 months...it is finally FINITO! The pattern was easy and fun.

Here are the photos:

I had to "pose" it for the camera shot!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2543.jpg

The self-yarn FROG CLOSURE actually works!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2540.jpg

redheadrachel
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh my goodness, it's absolutely gorgeous! I just can't believe how beautiful it is. As usual, I'm sooooo impressed :woot:You rock!!

(P.S. It secretly makes me feel extremely special when you refer to me as "little redhead" teehee :happydance:)

MerigoldinWA
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
ArtLady,

That is beautiful! :muah: You do really nice work. The cables and other patterning is very cool. I love your frog even if it isn't green. :lol: (:psst: small joke)

I've never done a frog before, but have considered one. They look so neat. The places where the pieces of i-cord cross each other, do you just kind of sew them together underneath where it doesn't show? I think you posted a picture of this sweater before, but my memory isn't the best. Is there a zipper below the frog or is the sweater just open in the front?

I'll bet it looks even better on. ;) We learned that with the sweater you made your DD. Great job! :cheering:

aprilbetty
08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
What a beautiful sweater! The background seed stitch really sets off the cables.

quiltbugj
08-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Gorgeous - well done!

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
ArtLady,

That is beautiful! :muah: You do really nice work. The cables and other patterning is very cool. I love your frog even if it isn't green. :lol: (:psst: small joke)

I've never done a frog before, but have considered one. They look so neat. The places where the pieces of i-cord cross each other, do you just kind of sew them together underneath where it doesn't show? I think you posted a picture of this sweater before, but my memory isn't the best. Is there a zipper below the frog or is the sweater just open in the front?

I'll bet it looks even better on. ;) We learned that with the sweater you made your DD. Great job! :cheering:

Hi Merigold! :waving:

Thanks for your compliments! :muah:

No zipper. That is a cool idea! I may consider it! I could still install a zipper! :thumbsup:

Yes, I just coiled it around (according to the diagram shown in the instructions) then got a sharp needle 'n' thread to begin tacking it into place...after everything is tacked sufficiently, then I went back to secure it better. This was my first ever FROG CLOSURE, so if there is a better way to do it...I'd love to know. I tacked it right onto the sweater, but, I imagine some folks tack it together independently, then tack the FROG to the sweater. My way worked, but it was kind of a hassle. Made the Right Side "loop" closure first, then the Left Side...but I had to make the Left Side frog (with the knot) over again...making it longer than the prescribed 16". For some reason, that "knot" sucks up more inches that the corresponding "loop" on the Right Side.

Anyhoo, don't expect to make an further cardigans that require a frog closure! If this frog closure had "tanked"...I was going to buy a ready-made silver "Celtic" style clasp closure at Joann's. But, I wanted to give it a try. I like it!

It sure did take me forever! I expected to have this sweater done by June 22...for a 3-day air-conditioned event I was going to attend. NOT. Too many vacation weeks interrupted its progress. I couldn't take it on our wilderness trips because it would get too dirty. I wanted to keep it as fresh and white as possible. Even knitting with clean hands (with hand moisturizer on them) made it necessary to wash it before blocking. I didn't want any unseen hand oils or lotions to discolor the white yarn.

I got that training from being a crosstitcher for years. Hand oils can really affect the fabric and floss...you should always wash your work before framing.

I am going to wear it with a dark denim skirt for sure! I have enough yarn left over to make a simple white tank top with little I-cord straps that won't show!

I committed myself to this month's KAL Challenge: CABLES...the KAL that ContiKnitter is running! (my white tank will have to be "next" in line.) I am already a week behind everyone else, and my project is BIG as usual. Another long cardigan, with Viking Cables running up both sides and across the neck! (see photo) No buttons, no button bands. I love it. It is DK weight (22st=4") so getting any length to speak of is slooow going! :pout: Wanna join me in this cardigan as our own KAL? If so, let me know. It is a current, inexpensive book by Elsebeth Lavold called The Second Viking Knits Collection (http://www.ingenkonst.se/svkc1_e.htm).

Here is the model sweater in the book. I won't put that button on it. I don't like how it pulls. She also has a "tie" closure for it. I won't do that either. Mine will hang naturally.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/borghild.jpg

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi'ya quiltbugj, aprilbetty, and little redhead rachel! :waving:

Thanks for your big hugs! :grphug: I appreciate your compliments!

Stay tuned, I am working on another cabled cardigan for ContiKnitters AUGUST CHALLENGE KAL! I won't get done anywhere close to August 31 though. I am already a week behind, but I will work on it while we are on vacation next week! NO DISTRACTIONS! :woot: Just me and DH and 3 of our dogs!

Although this was taken during our MAY wilderness trip...and it was the same in June and July...and will be the same next week! :woohoo:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1443.jpg

knitting4-2girls
08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
oh, that is soo beautiful. When I grow up in knitting I want to make stuff just like you!!:knitting:

SkyBluePink
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Dude, you are awesome!! :passedout: I am so envious of your knitting talent! The sweater is breathtaking and would awesome with a cute denim skirt and casual flats.

*sigh* If only I could be that good...

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi'ya Knitting42Girls and SkyBluePink! :waving:

THANKS! I NEEDED THAT! :muah:

MerigoldinWA
08-10-2007, 02:33 AM
ArtLady,

Thanks for all the information about the frog. It's amazing how much i-cord you need to do for just about anything, and I totally understand with the simple knot. Knots really eat i-cord. :) Your frog turned out great. It sounds like you didn't like making it though. No more frogs in your future. It's good to have on your resume though. :lol:

June 22? That was a long time ago. There will be other occasions to wear it. ;) You just finished that sweater for your DD too, so you've been knitting. :X:

Your new project looks like a great one. :muah: But I am not likely to knit one. :sad: Thanks for the invitation though. I was just telling my oldest daughter today that the nice yarns to make the really nice sweaters for adults cost so much money, and I am so tight. :lol: I suggested to her that if she or one of her siblings wanted a sweater and would buy the yarn that I might be up to doing big stuff. But my first love is baby clothes. They fit my wallet better and I have a pretty good stash of yarns, that although not top notch, will do for the few months they are worn. I would love to work with beautiful wools, alpaca, cashmere, etc., etc. (there are so many) but I need to be realistic. :lol: Even if I got to use all those yarns I would still prefer to do baby clothes with them. :happydance: The big projects seem more intimidating. :oops: Little baby things are so friendly and comforting. :inlove :cloud9 Although I admire all the "adult" works of art people show off here, I don't do much in this field. I'm down in the play pen you might say. :)

How far have you gotten on your new project? It is stunning. :heart: 22 stitches = 4 inches is very familiar to me. I use that a lot for my baby things. What color are you making your sweater? These Viking knits are of interest to me and DH loves them too.

Did you look at my latest design? I just finished it a few nights ago. It is a little unusual. I'm already thinking of some other ideas I'd like to try. I'm thinking of trying a steeked baby sweater. I read through all the steeking sticky again. It's about the best thing I've seen. I posted a question to Ingrid and ContiKnitter. It sounds like they are steek experts. :cool:

I ought to call you sometime. I still have your number. This post is getting really long, :oops: and I have more to say. :lol: I'll save it for later. Merigold

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Hi'ya Merigold! :waving:

Steeking in a great concept. However, I don't for the life of me know why a knitter would work any project with steeks when the pattern doesn't call for it...unless you wanted the self striping yarn to coincide. Do people use steeks simply to bypass seaming? IMHO, seaming is easier than figuring out :?? how to bypass seaming! And the work of finishing off the steeks!

Oh well, it will be nice to have steeks on the resume, as you said! :teehee: Nice to have a try at it!

I have knit for all of my 10 grandchildren! I LOVE TO KNIT BABY THINGS! (except baby blankets) They are fun, and done quickly! You saw that QUICKIE baby pullover I did in July? It took one day...from cast on to seaming all done! Whee!

Yes, I saw all you recent posts! I love :heart: your latest design! I think I posted a comment! I really admire folks who have the creativeness to "design"! It is a true "calling" and "gift"! As for me, all I am good at is "execution". I can follow directions to the "T"...and get a perfect project done! But, I don't design. Well, do scarves count? I have put together some versions of scarves, using different patterns that others have designed, and my hodgepodge is my own design 'of sorts'! :teehee:

YES, do call if you need help or just want to say hello and chat a bit! As you know, DH and I will be up on Nighthawk Summit next week, so if you call my house, leave a number and I will return your call from the mountain. I check my messages on the home phone land line everyday.

The new project is about 8" on the first piece, the Left Front. That is the ribbing plus one full chart repeat...which is 44 rows.

I should be out there now...but here I am in here! :wink:

Oh, BTW...I only use washable soft acrylics for baby and kids sweaters myself! I like to give the mothers things that are easy to launder. Once is a blue moon, my daughter's talk me into making something in 100% cotton...and I will do it if THEY SWEAR they will handwash and lay flat to dry!
(I showed them a nasty old cotton
Sugar 'n' Cream dishcloth I have had for a while...and said, "the sweater will look like this if you toss the sweater in the washer/dryer!". So far, they have handwashed and flat to dry. Mostly these sweaters have been "special" sweaters for church, etc...so they don't get soiled a lot!

Well, this post is gettin' long, too! Talk to ya later! :muah:

KnittingNat
08-10-2007, 04:09 AM
I think it turned out absolutely GORGEOUS!!! ArtLady, you're one talented knitter :passedout:! Your projects are always an inspiration!

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 04:11 AM
I think it turned out absolutely GORGEOUS!!! ArtLady, you're one talented knitter :passedout:! Your projects are always an inspiration!

Hi'ya KnittingNat! :waving: Aw shees...thanks! :aww: I appreciate your kind words! You made my day! :muah:

Slim
08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
What a lovely, lovely sweater! Every detail is just perfect. I'm glad you made the frog yourself -- it looks much better than the ones at Joann! Thanks for sharing.

flyingfingers
08-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Artlady your khaki cables turned out absolutely beautiful!!!
I am so impressed!!!! I am just starting mine, a bit late lol. Thank you for your private help :woot:
Bev

larudden
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.3sistersbeads.com/Great%20Job.jpg

GardenGirlKnitsToo
08-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow, I am in awe of your talent :notworthy: (not to mention patience). FOs like this are what inspire me to keep practicing!

Thanks for posting,
Cindy

sue in canada
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
That is wonderful. You are a great inspiration.

LeslieRR
08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
ArtLady, your Khaki Cables turned out absolute GORGEOUS....STUNNING.:yay:

astonh
08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with everyone else in that your finished sweater pictured above is absolutley beautiful. I also really like how the seed stitch makes the cables REALLY "pop" and I ADORE the frog closure (even though it was a pain in the you-know-what for you to do..it looks gorgeous!).

Congrats on a beautiful job!:yay:

dawnk777
08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Gorgeous sweater and gorgeous picture of the scenery whereever you were on vacation!

That sweater looks like a lot of work!

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Hello to All Who Commented on my KHAKI CABLES today!
:waving:Astonh, :waving:dawnk777,:waving: Slim, :waving:Bev, :waving:Leslie, :waving:GardenGirls, :waving:LeslieRR, :waving:CaliforniaSue!

Thank you for taking time to comment on my KHAKI CABLES! It is on the blocking table (again). I am rounding out the shoulders...when blocking it flat for the ribbing, it kinda made the profile of the top of the arm get pointy.

I will definitely store this sweater on a big fat padded clothes hanger...with an extra ball of wadded up tissue at the top of the arm.

That is why I didn't take a photo of it with ME in it! The top of the arm looked wierd. But, I was anxious to get it posted! You know how that is! Posting a photo of a FO is kinda like the frosting on the cake! The olive in the martini! The salt on the popcorn!

Thanks again for your complimentary words!

:knitting::knitting::knitting:Knit on good women! :knitting::knitting::knitting:

dreamsherl
08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Breathtaking. :yay:

knitwit628
08-11-2007, 12:31 AM
:notworthy: Wow! Amazing!! :notworthy:

Jan in CA
08-11-2007, 02:16 AM
It's gorgeous!! :passedout:

ArtLady1981
08-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi KnitWit! :waving: Hi Dreamsherl! :waving:Hi Jan! :waving:

Thank you for commenting on my KHAKI CABLES! I can hardly wait to wear it! I have enough yarn left over to make a simple tank top. I think a matching tank will look nice, don't you?

redheadrachel
08-11-2007, 02:29 AM
You knit the fanciest stuff ever. :notworthy:

ArtLady1981
08-11-2007, 03:33 PM
You knit the fanciest stuff ever. :notworthy:

Thanks little redhead! :muah:

But...I saw your SOCKS for the August KAL! You are so busted! :heart: Your work is FABULOUS! :heart: Your feeties looked so cute in those cables socks!!!

I don't have a single pair of socks that are that pretty! Just a bunch of ho-hum store-boughts.

I really need to make some!

When I do art shows in private homes...most times people have a NO SHOES policy. So, ya either go barefoot, or put on a pair of socks!

Could'ja just see me in a pair of socks like you knit up for the August KAL???!!! I could show 'em off without shoes on!!!! Socks knitters always talk about: what kinda shoes will best show off the socks! :teehee: I don't blame 'em!

Grrr. I just have to get my courage up to knit some socks.
I just hate working with dpn's all over the place...so I have to learn that magic loop thing! :eyes:

Thanks for your compliments! :muah: Greatly appreciated!

Really, sweaters are the same as socks...just a million more stitches, more yarn and more time! :eyebrow:

Indygirl
08-11-2007, 03:48 PM
:yay::yay::yay: I'm so impressed! Love that sweater:yay::yay::yay: I agree with everyone else, Your work is fabulous. Anyone that knit's like you would have no broblem's making sock's :wink:

RMB
08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
What a beautiful sweater! You did a really great job knitting...way to go!

TFS..
Rhonda

Ellen Edwards
08-11-2007, 04:41 PM
My gracious! KNitter-Friend--you are SO fast!! You have so many FO's and they're all lovely!! You must be very fast--but if I had the vacation up there in that view--I'd never knit a stitch! We live on flat plain--about 3 hours from the mountains, and an hour from the ocean, but FLAT here!!

You are an amazing knitter--I dn't know how you do it!:cheering:

soobeeoz
08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
:woohoo: Great job! It's beautiful!

ArtLady1981
08-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi IndyGirl! :waving: Rhonda! :waving: Ellen E! :waving: Soobeeoz! :waving:

Thanks for your kind words! I appreciate it very much!:muah:

I guess socks are to me what cables are to someone else.
Everyone has their niche of expertise! Actually, when you really think about all the talented knitters and designers out there...knitters who really think outside the box and create designs that are WOW...in comparison, I feel like a "kindygartner"! It is humbling to see what is out there! Well, it makes knitting an ever-challenging craft, does it not? No matter how long ya' been knittin'...there is always something else to add to the "resume" as Merigold phrased it!

I have lots of things I would love to learn to knit, or "perfect"...like socks, Fair Isle knitting, Drop-Stitch knitting...but...with so many patterns that are in my comfort zone already...:shrug:...

SOCKS are my goal for 2008. I must take a magic loop class however. I do not enjoy jockeying 5 dpn's.

Thanks again! I will be shutting down my 'puter in a minute. Gotta pack it up for our trip at the crack of dawn.

:waah: ONE WEEK WITHOUT KH! :waah:

See ya! :waving:

chrislt8
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
ArtLady - I know you are "off the grid" for the week, so hope you see this when you get back...I just couldn't pass this one by without a comment - your Khaki Cable is just absolutely beautiful!!! As so many others on this board...I want to grow up to knit like you! ohhh...(with a dreamy look on my face)...."someday"!

Again, just...well...beautiful!:passedout:

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi'ya Chris! :waving: Thanks so much for your kind words and compliments! Feels just like a great big ole HUG! :grphug: I needed that! The sweater was easy to knit, although the cabling can make it appear difficult! It would be a good "first cabled sweater" project. And the Irish Hiking Scarf is a good "first cabled scarf" project!

Thanks again for the HUG! Back atcha! :hug:

momwolf
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
:passedout: I'm speechless.That is my kind of sweater:woot:
It is BEAUTIFUL JUST BEAUTIFUL. I WANT TO LIVE AT YOUR HOUSE

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Julie! :waving: Thanks for your kind words and compliments!
It was a fun sweater to knit! No problems, no issues. Nice pattern directions, nothing left out, no mysteries. :thumbsup:

GinnyG
08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
ABSOLUTELY a work of art!!!

It's still on my list of "must makes"

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks GinnyG! I appreciate your compliments! I am going to wear it for the first time tonight! Wish I had the matching tank finished, but I do have a white blouse!

GiddyKnitter
08-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Just loving it!!!

merryknitter
08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Artlady,
Your work is so beautiful...I love to look at your knitting! I hope I can knit like that one day! I just started last October and I love it...just bought some yarn tonight to knit my grand daughter a sweater for Christmas!
You really knit fast...LOL!
Merry :)

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 04:51 AM
:waving: Hi'ya Dreamsherl! :waving: Knitwit628! :waving:Jan in Ca! :waving: MerryKnitter! :waving:Pauline M! :waving:

Thanks very much for your compliments! I wore my KHAKI CABLES to an air-conditioned meeting tonight...and didn't freeze...nor did I roast! :thumbsup:

Wore it with a white blouse, red skirt, red heels, and red bag! Silver jewlery. Felt very good! :eyebrow:

I must make that matching self-yarn tank top though. I was fussing and squirming around with my blouse collar all night. :pout:

I think I will cast on for it tonight. Just to get it on the needles!

mwedzi
09-14-2007, 06:49 PM
How did I miss this one?! it's beautiful. glad you found (made) it a mate.

AnotherBecca
09-14-2007, 10:53 PM
:notworthy:
Wow! That's absolutely gorgeous! Love the frog closure...especially since it actually works! You are an inspiration!

dustinac
09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
very pretty!!! :happydance:

Debbie
09-15-2007, 09:33 AM
so pretty!

Ronda
09-15-2007, 09:57 AM
:thud::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I'm speechless, but that's what usually happens to me when I see your work.

ArtLady1981
09-15-2007, 02:32 PM
:thud::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I'm speechless, but that's what usually happens to me when I see your work.

Thanks Ronda! I might have to make an adjustment on that self-yarn frog. It appears to be getting slightly grimey or off-color...maybe from my hand lotion?....so if I have to launder the sweater just to clean the frog...ack...or if I have to remove the frog just to wash it....ack....

So, a silver CELTIC clasp will be my other option if the frog doesn't seem to be practical.

If the sweater was not such a PURE WHITE...I wouldn't have any issues with the frog. :eyes:

Sigh.

Dangles
09-16-2007, 02:42 AM
:passedout: absolutely beautiful! Great job, ArtLady!

GiddyKnitter
09-16-2007, 08:46 AM
What can I say....Its lovely.
I have just posted 2 replys to you and was really suprised when I saw this cabled jacket...I am so envious of you finishing so many items! I am knitting like the clappers at the moment and dont seen to be getting anywhere!!!

Tutu Carol
09-16-2007, 10:54 AM
YOU are amazing!! Just amazing !!! A true heroin to all knitters!!