PDA

View Full Version : Why Malabrigo yarn?

Olive Oil
08-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I have seen lots of good comments on Malabrigo yarn. I am new to this. Could you tell me why you like it??

Thankyou in advance.

Barb:eyes:

ArtLady1981
08-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Olive Oil! :waving:

Well, that is what I was wondering myself. :shrug: What's all the fuss???

The yarn is 100% Merino...which has a reputation for being the finest quality wool you can buy, especially soft. Everyone at KH has 'backed up' how soft it is...and how nicely it knits! The proof is in the puddin'...so the saying goes!

I purchased some Malabrigo the other day...and it IS NICE!
I am going to close down my 'puter in a sec...and cast on for the Irish Hiking Scarf! :woot:

BTW: the hanks have 215 yards in them...so one skein could make a nice scarf...and two skeins would make a longer, or wider scarf...and/or a hat and wristlets!

Mulderknitter
08-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it's just all around one of the best quality yarns you can buy for the price. 100% merino wool, (either felt it or don't'), softer than most wools, and like artlady said, about 210 yards per hank at about 10-12$ per hank. And there are so many variations color-wise to choose from!

Ingrid
08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
It really is a joy to knit with and some of the colors!

Quiltlady
08-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I love how it looks, how it feels and how it knits.:woohoo:

angel4ever
08-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm waiting for some late guests :tap:...

So I'm going to take this time to start knitting my scarf in the purple mystery colorway...

(my friend is ALWAYS late. I think she will be late for her own funeral. She was late for her wedding...:) )

Mulderknitter
08-11-2007, 08:18 PM
my friend is ALWAYS late. I think she will be late for her own funeral. She was late for her wedding...:) )
sadly, that is my DH. sometimes he makes us purposely late just to spite me. I am always either on time or early:roflhard:

zkimom
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
It's soft, it's luxurious, the colors are divine.

It is a sensual treat and it makes knitting a pleasure.

What more can one say?

rainberry
08-12-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't have any Malabrigo yarn but I got to touch it in a yarn store when we were on vacation and it is sooo soft!

ddincolo
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
where do you find this yarn please?

brendajos
08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
you can google for it and find tons of stores that have it. I get most of mine from www.personalthreads.com (http://www.personalthreads.com) because they are my LYS. www.yarn.com (http://www.yarn.com) has it too and generally good prices.

Silver
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
I have yet to even feel Malabrigo. That's it, I'm going to order some dangit!! I was trying to resist, but you won't shut up about it. You people sure have my hopes up. If it's not completely DIVINE, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. And it will be all your fault. And if you're all right, as I suspect you are, and I do love it, and end up ordering more and more, and sending my family into the poor house, that will be your fault too. Just so you know. :teehee:

shuggin
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Malabrigo yarn is all natural! I bought my first on Friday from A Strand of Purls in Hickory and cannot wait to start a new project with it. The yarn is soft in a simple, elegant way, and I adore its texture.

brendajos
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I have yet to even feel Malabrigo. That's it, I'm going to order some dangit!! I was trying to resist, but you won't shut up about it. You people sure have my hopes up. If it's not completely DIVINE, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. And it will be all your fault. And if you're all right, as I suspect you are, and I do love it, and end up ordering more and more, and sending my family into the poor house, that will be your fault too. Just so you know. :teehee:

Silver i am pretty sure it is going to be completely horrible so i am going to PM you my address. This way you can get the offensive yarn out of your house immediately. no reason for you to be traumatized in such a way really. :angelgrin:

PaperGirl
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Ditto!

Im may be ordering some this week. Depends on how much the school shopping kills me. :roflhard:

Silver
08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Silver i am pretty sure it is going to be completely horrible so i am going to PM you my address. This way you can get the offensive yarn out of your house immediately. no reason for you to be traumatized in such a way really. :angelgrin:
You are truly a thoughtful and dear friend. I wouldn't think of soiling your home with such garbage. :heart:

bajanKnit
08-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Ok Ok I decided to check out the Malabrigo yarn I went directly to their website http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/yarn.html I can't believe the colors how can I chose I love them all ...:woot:

bip
08-14-2007, 05:00 PM
If you want to feel it, you can come to my house and bury yourself in my gigantic pile, lol.

I wasn't that impressed with it when I felt it in my LYS, but because of the hysteria from the knit2purl2 sale and the fact that $6 for 215 yards of any yarn is a great price, I went for it. I don't know how I couldn't fully appreciate it in the store, it is really amazing stuff. Let's put it this way: I am making something with 100% cashmere right now, and the malabrigo is equally soft.

Sharly
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Ok - it's driving me crazy :wall: how do you pronounce Malabrigo?

Is it "mah lah bree go"? Accent on the "lah"?

amishgirl281
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm a malbrigo virgin as well. I've never touched the stuff :( and unfortunately for me the only stores near me that carry yarn are Walmart and Hobby Lobby *cries*

I tried to order some off of knit2purl2 but every time I click on the malbrigo link, I get an error message. I think they might have sold out.

But here's to hoping my family get's my hints and orders some for my birthday :) Especially if it's as soft as y'all say.

Silver
08-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Ok, I cracked. I ordered 2 hanks of lace weight malabrigo. I mean if the worsted is so great, I think I will promptly drool all over the lace weight! I ordered Mariposa and Peach Tree... just about 2 minutes ago, from Jimmy Beans Wool.

Is it here yet??? *taps her fingers on the desk impatiently*

brendajos
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
i can tell you why you weren't impressed in the store (or at least what i think is the reason)... the hanks are wound too tight... when i was shopping with mom this weekend the store we were at had a scarf knitted up hanging with the malabrigo... the difference knitted up and on a tightly wound hank is huge! my k2p2 order came fairly loose so it wasn't as hard to get the feeling from it.

and I pronouce it "Mal" (as in pal) "uh" (as in duh) "bree" (as in cheese) "go" (as in leave me alone with my yarn please.) :teehee:

momwolf
08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I cracked too:thud:have never felt it either.Ordered mine on Monday. So now just have to wait for it to get here:tap:

jeanius80
08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
i say it like brenda
mahl-ah-bree-go

psammeadred
08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Why do I love Malabrigo? It's as soft (or even softer) than cotton balls, it's relatively inexpensive (especially the sales!), and the colors are amazing. Amazing.

This is the Azul Bolito colorway. It's a blue that's both bright and dark. I'm knitting it into a Mistake Rib scarf on size 9's.

I also have some laceweight Malabrigo in Tuareg (a lighter, more variegated blue) that I can't wait to play with! I just ordered Victorian Lace Today, and there are several patterns that would look great with it.

chrislt8
08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
ooohhhh... I LOVE that colorway! :heart::heart::heart:

Silver
08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
My Malabrigo is backordered. Probably at least 2 weeks before it will ship. Drats!!!!!

I have no idea if I'm right, but I pronounce it Mal-Uh-Bree-go, but the G is soft. So it's more like mal-uh-bree-show. ??

simplethings
08-15-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm a complete mmMalabrigo junkie. I buy skeins of it even with no project in mind... if I see a colorway that jumps out at me I'll buy it too.
What first got me hooked was definitely the colors.
Now I'm obsessed with the softness of it. Of course there's cashmere that is heavenly and so much more cloud-like than Malabrigo but Malabrigo is easily the softest 100% wool I've experienced.
The yardage is also decent. =)

Here's some of mine:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/228/479538072_adcc964608.jpg

"sapphire magenta gold"

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/398065435_a5d429b0f8.jpg

"autumn forest" and "solymar"

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/381131403_715f91fbee.jpg

mmmm.
One thing that bothers me is seeing Malabrigo in stores twisted REALLY tight. I just wanna scream, "YOU'RE KILLING IT!" ... =( This has actually prompted me to buy a few skeins to save them from the torture. Of course, the second I got to my car I untwisted them and let them breathe. It's resilient though. I bought 2 skeins of the chunky weight and it was twisted so tight it was a rock of yarn... but, after untwisting and letting it relax it became all springy and soft. ^_^

On another note, I'm not too fond of the vinegar-y scent in new skeins of Malabrigo (probably from their dyeing process)... the scent fades away after a few weeks though, so it's all good.

Can you tell I love it? Hopefully my little essay prompts you to buy some (if you haven't already).

SkyBluePink
08-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Simplethings, I am in awe and a bit jealous of your mmmm stash! It's beautiful!!:passedout:

zkimom
08-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I was trying to convince the owner of a LYS that she should carry the divine MMMMmmmm so I brought some in for her to see and fondle for herself. It would be great, Malabrigo has twice the yardage for the same price or less than what the Manos goes for.

She gave it a quick squeeze and said, "I carry the Manos and that is just as soft."
:gah:

No way. Don't get me wrong, the colors of the Manos are yummy beyond belief but there is no way it is as soft as Malabrigo.

It's a good thing that there is another yarn store whose owner has the sense to carry the MMMMmmm. So I guess I know where I'll be doing most of my yarn shopping.

Best,
Susan

Sharly
08-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Wow, you guys are right! The colors are outstanding!!

And, thanks for your pronounciations!!

chrislt8
08-15-2007, 09:16 AM
[quote=simplethings;934864] This has actually prompted me to buy a few skeins to save them from the torture. quote]

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: Perfect reasoning! :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Silver
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm no Malabrigo expert, but I do spin my own yarns. I suspect that the hanks are over twisted on purpose in order to help the yarn keep it's twist when you unwind the hank. Especially helpful in a hank of very soft, single plied yarn. Think of it as putting your hair in dry rollers. Curling them up tight will produce soft, loose curls when you take the rollers out.

But if you want to save it from this "torture", who am I to argue with a perfectly good reason to buy?!?

Oh, and Simplethings... LOVE your photography skills.

Kaydee
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
I went to the LYS back in June to get some yarn for a scarf for my dad. I wanted great colors for the scarf and after looking at Malabrigo, I thought I'd get some. The only problem was that they only had 1 hank of the colorway I wanted. I thought of going for the Noro since the colors are so nice but then I felt a scarf knitted up in it and it only felt okay. I felt the scarf knitted up in the Malabrigo and I was sold!! It was the softest scarf I've ever felt! So I took my second choice in color, and fell in love with the yarn. I've only knitted a bit of the scarf up so far, but the colors look so nice and it feels like knitting with a spun cloud.:teehee:

cinnamon_girl
08-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been following the Malabrigo threads wth some anxiety. I ordered some last week from the k2p2 sale but I ordered in haste and was more interested in the sock yarn. So I just got a single skein! :gah:
What was I thinking, just one. Now, I'm scouting around for a scarf pattern that will do justice to it for the yardage. Any suggestions from you experienced Mmmm users? I would love to do a cable scarf but have resigned myself to that fact that I may have to order more to accomplish that (which I will do!! Just gotta decide on a color) but for my single skein, what do you think??

Thanks for listening to my lament.

kaidyddd
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
One skein using this pattern turns out beautifully. It won't make a "big wear outside loop around your neck 2 times" kind of scarf, but it will make a wonderful "around the neck crossed in front, tucked inside the coat" scarf. You could even decrease a few stitches in width. This yarn really is so soft to work with and the resulting hat or scarf seems to trap the air and keep you really warm. Have fun.
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html

SkyBluePink
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I've been following the Malabrigo threads wth some anxiety. I ordered some last week from the k2p2 sale but I ordered in haste and was more interested in the sock yarn. So I just got a single skein! :gah:
What was I thinking, just one. Now, I'm scouting around for a scarf pattern that will do justice to it for the yardage. Any suggestions from you experienced Mmmm users? I would love to do a cable scarf but have resigned myself to that fact that I may have to order more to accomplish that (which I will do!! Just gotta decide on a color) but for my single skein, what do you think??

Thanks for listening to my lament.

Take a look at the Rainy Day scarf (http://yarndemon.googlepages.com/rainydayscarf)! It only takes one hank and it turns out so pretty. I'm knitting one in mmmmMalabrigo (Oceanos colorway) and it is turning out beautifully. :happydance:

SkyBluePink
08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
One skein using this pattern turns out beautifully. It won't make a "big wear outside loop around your neck 2 times" kind of scarf, but it will make a wonderful "around the neck crossed in front, tucked inside the coat" scarf. You could even decrease a few stitches in width. This yarn really is so soft to work with and the resulting hat or scarf seems to trap the air and keep you really warm. Have fun.
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html

Love this pattern too. I've got a couple of hanks of Malabrigo (Damask Rose colorway) that is destined to be a MSCS.

angel4ever
08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm knitting the Rainy Day scarf as well using Malabrigo in the purple mystery colorway.

PaperGirl
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I just orders 2 skeins of Sapphire Magenta....

I found it for 10.40 a skein...now the clock starts...:roflhard:

http://www.knitterspalette.com/

Just in case you wanna see too...:teehee:

EDIT TO ADD.....

OMG....shes already shipped my yarn priority mail.

I like her already.

Carla1019
08-15-2007, 10:51 PM
so now that I have 8 skins of Malabrigo what to knit with them?

I don't like scarf that well.. what I want is a shrug, shawl, or wrap. but nothing that I have looked at seem to do the MMMalabrigo justice.
I want something that will keep me warm to wear over my clothes when I go out to Restaurant or just out.
I get cold easy. I am having hard time finding something neat.

Anybody have any Ideas.

Lisa Kay
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I just orders 2 skeins of Sapphire Magenta....

I found it for 10.40 a skein...now the clock starts...:roflhard:

http://www.knitterspalette.com/

Just in case you wanna see too...:teehee:

EDIT TO ADD.....

OMG....shes already shipped my yarn priority mail.

I like her already.

Hey, that's one of my LYS's! :cheering:

Great store! Now I'm curious, how did you find out about it?

kindermen
08-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Is this a good yarn for socks?

psammeadred
08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Is this a good yarn for socks?

I love Malabrigo, but I wouldn't use Malabrigo for socks, and here's why: Malabrigo is a single-ply yarn. That means there's just one strand of wool that's twisted. Other "plied" yarns have several strands wrapped together. Plied yarns are much more durable and less likely to fuzz and pill. If you made socks from Malabrigo, they'd pill like crazy the first time you wore them. They'd also be more likely to wear out very easily. (Granted, they'd be softer than butter, but I'll take a slightly less soft and more durable sock, personally!) You could knit gigantic socks with Malabrigo and felt them into slippers, though.

I've heard rumors that Malabrigo is coming out with a sock yarn! That should be awesome!

jeanius80
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
i emailed them to ask about that, i think they are looking to start selling it late this year or next. one of our kh'ers, (i forget who) i think, is lucky enough to have been offered to test knit the new yarn!

PaperGirl
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I think that was Chel?

Lisa Kay, I found it googling Malabrigo Sale. :roflhard:

Ingrid
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.kyarns.com/malabrigo-closeout-uruguay-wool-heavy-worsted-weight-yarn.html

Sale on some Mmmmm colors!

Kaydee
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.kyarns.com/malabrigo-closeout-uruguay-wool-heavy-worsted-weight-yarn.html

Sale on some Mmmmm colors!

So tempting!

ready2knit
08-17-2007, 12:16 PM
As everyone has stated, it's oh so very soft. The thing I love about it is the colors, and the various hues. I knit the most beautiful scarf- can't wait for it to be cold enough to wear!

Jana

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Hi'ya Silver! :waving:

Well, I hopped aboard the MALABRIGO train last week, knitted up an Irish Hiking Scarf using two skeins...and...my o my...it is ALL THAT! EVERY INCH is wondeful to handle as you knit away! Almost sensous! :woohoo:

However, my experience with the two skeins had one "bump in the road". :pout: The two skeins had subtle color variations, and I had to frog out the entire 31" of skein #1...and re-knit the scarf, alternating Skein #1 (rows 1,2,5,6) and Skein #2 (rows 3,4,7,8).

The outcome was very beautiful, and the differences in the two skeins melted together very nicely!

Be aware...there are no dyelots. Even though my two skeins LOOKED IDENTICAL even in natural daylight...they were NOT IDENTICAL. My colorway was called "Simply Taupe"...whites/creams/beiges/taupes/lt tan. Skein #2 had brighter creams/whites...and taupier taupes. Aaaargh. :eyes:

knitwit628
08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Malabrigo and Manos Del Uruguay are different? I didn't know that! Well, what do I know anyways... I haven't bought or knit with either one. Lol, I feel a little dumb not knowing that haha :)

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok, I cracked. I ordered 2 hanks of lace weight malabrigo. I mean if the worsted is so great, I think I will promptly drool all over the lace weight! I ordered Mariposa and Peach Tree... just about 2 minutes ago, from Jimmy Beans Wool.

Is it here yet??? *taps her fingers on the desk impatiently*

Do you think that the "lace weight" would be best for the Reversible Cabled Scarf? (rather than a worsted weight)
Will lace weight be hefty enough...or whould a "DK weight" be best in your opinion?

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Malabrigo and Manos Del Uruguay are different? I didn't know that! Well, what do I know anyways... I haven't bought or knit with either one. Lol, I feel a little dumb not knowing that haha :)

Manos del Uruguay (I knit a cardigan and an afghan using it) is not the same as Malabrigo. Malabrigo is "special" because it is a "merino" wool.

Manos del Uruguay is just a bulky weight wool. It is not scratchy, nor is it soft. Just a nice wool.

Maybe the Manos ladies also make Malabrigo...but, Malagrigo is in a category all its own!

Ronda
08-21-2007, 06:58 AM
You people are evil. I've never seen this yarn in person. I've never touched it. After reading this thread (and all the others on this site re: Malawhatever), I have GOT to get me some!!!!

Thanks, simplethings. It was YOUR post that did it to me.... :passedout:

Silver
08-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi'ya Silver! :waving:
Hi ArtLady :waving: lol

Do you think that the "lace weight" would be best for the Reversible Cabled Scarf? (rather than a worsted weight)
Will lace weight be hefty enough...or whould a "DK weight" be best in your opinion?
Well I knit Palindrome in a heavy worsted weight so that's what I recommend. A laceweight wouldn't do much for the cables unless you knit it on size 0 or 1 needles, and then it would be a very, very tiny scarf indeed. DK wouldn't do much better.

Use a worsted weight at least, heavy worsted/aran weight is better. But I think a chunky would be too much.

RachelJean
08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm almost afraid to post this, but I have one hank of Malabrigo and I'm honestly not that impressed....:hiding: it doesn't feel very soft to me at all.

However, after reading this thread, I guess I should knit with it - maybe I'll like it better then ... :shrug:

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm almost afraid to post this, but I have one hank of Malabrigo and I'm honestly not that impressed....:hiding: it doesn't feel very soft to me at all.

However, after reading this thread, I guess I should knit with it - maybe I'll like it better then ... :shrug:

You're right RachelJean! It's "softness factor" becomes most apparent while knitting!

Malabrigo isn't soft like some Angora yarns are soft.
It is a deep, luscious softness that presents itself subtly.
The IHS I knit last week using Malabrigo is truly soft...but not sissy soft. It is a perfect softness for anyone, male or female. (It didn't shed onto my clothes either.)

Sharly
08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
...but not sissy soft.

:teehee: That's funny!

chrislt8
08-21-2007, 05:07 PM
...but not sissy soft.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw that (and then had to explain why to others in the room) - perfect description! :roflhard:

geekgolightly
08-21-2007, 06:30 PM
has anyone knit a sweater with it? or is it strictly a scarf type of yarn?

Jess_knit
08-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't knit a sweater out of it, mostly because I've read stories about it pilling a lot, and it's not attractive to have little yarn blobs falling off your clothes all the time :teehee:

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Hi Geek! :waving:

I have not, and would not...and here is why:

I don't trust the color variations from skein to skein. I would be afraid to knit a whole sweater using 8 skeins, all of which could vary a little, and none being the same.

Because of the variance of the shadings...IMHO...I think it is suitable for 1 or 2 skein projects.

Anyone else have an opinion to toss into the ring? Anyone with Malabrigo 8 skein project experience?

It is not an inexpensive yarn. Who would want to invest $80-$100 for a sweater that would have to be frogged in the end??!! :pout:

zkimom
08-22-2007, 06:30 AM

Sure, I'd make a sweater with it.

I just finished a Clapotis shawl (4 skeins) and have no problems with color variations. I love the way it looks.

Right now I'm starting a sweater for my dd in some Emerald Blue malabrigo and am looking for a pattern to make with some Orchid I got for myself.

If you are really worried about too much variation in color you can always alternate skeins.

I love the way the Malabrigo feels against my skin so why wouldn't I make a sweater from it?

Best,
Susan

GinnyG
08-22-2007, 07:36 AM
OH DEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have bought 2 sweater quantities of MMMMMM recently, I did not know there was controversy surrounding it's use for sweater.......

Please, anyone out there made a sweater????

When I use varigated yarn I generally knit with two skeins at once.

zkimom
08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
OH DEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have bought 2 sweater quantities of MMMMMM recently, I did not know there was controversy surrounding it's use for sweater.......

Please, anyone out there made a sweater????

When I use varigated yarn I generally knit with two skeins at once.

There is no controversy that I can figure. ArtLady just expressed her opinion that she wouldn't make a sweater from Malabrigo.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Malabrigo for a sweater. I love the stuff.

So I say, go for it.

There is very little color variation in my finished Clapotis and I didn't alternate skeins.

I think that the color variation and whether you like the effect or not is also simply a matter of opinion.

Best,
Susan

GiddyKnitter
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
And where do you people get this yarn from that's what I want to know!! Would I be able to order on line and get it shipper over here to England??

AmandaC
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Pauline - you can get mmmmMalabrigo from Getknitted.com :thumbsup:

simplethings
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
You people are evil. I've never seen this yarn in person. I've never touched it. After reading this thread (and all the others on this site re: Malawhatever), I have GOT to get me some!!!!

Thanks, simplethings. It was YOUR post that did it to me.... :passedout:

You're VERY welcome. ^_^ I love spreading mmmMalabrigo love!

On the issue of sweaters...
A few of my Malabrigo projects have gotten pretty fuzzy but none have actually started pilling.
I think the fuzziness actually makes them feel softer. I have this Malabrigo scarf that I don't take very good care of. I leave it to bounce around in the trunk of my car, or I shove it into tiny spaces when it's in the way. Needless to say it is QUITE fuzzy.
I wear it inside my coat during the winter and whenever I reach in to adjust my coat I get surprised. My scarf actually feels like really soft fiber fill... like for stuffed animals.

In conclusion... the fuzzier the product the softer it feels. :happydance: If it helps, I actually knit the scarf on size 10 needles... it definitely allowed for more fluffiness and overall pleasure.

jeanius80
08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
here is a beautiful sweater (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=48429&highlight=malabrigo+sweater) made from malabrigo
and a pretty sleeveless turtle neck! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=47190&highlight=malabrigo+sweater)
i am fairly certain that someone on this forum made a sweater out of a yellow colorway.. but couldn't find it. anyway, it was very pretty, and i think she said she used 10 skeins? you could alternate every 10 rows or so making wider 'stripes' that way you aren't having to switch every 2 on such a large project. the nice thing is that you can just break and use a felted join, so no ends to weave in:mrgreen:

GinnyG
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you SOOOOO much for posting those links. I LOVE that sleeveless turtleneck!!!!

In fact I liked it soooooo much I bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Yes, you're right Susan...I was only expressing my own "take" or opinion about Malabrigo for large projects. I am still experiencing :eyes: "shell shock" :eyes:at having to reknit 31" of the Irish Hiking Scarf I knit using 2 skeins of Malabrigo!

My IHS (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=64274)

Sharly
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
So, so pretty!!!

Kaydee
08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
i am fairly certain that someone on this forum made a sweater out of a yellow colorway.. but couldn't find it. anyway, it was very pretty, and i think she said she used 10 skeins?

Yup, I remember seeing it. Ecb made it, here's the link (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58402&highlight=yellow) if anyone wants to see the sweater. It looks pretty with the slight color variations in it.

sue in canada
08-22-2007, 04:21 PM
All this talk made me so curious. Yesterday I spotted a yarn store while out of town, so I had to take a look. I came out with 2 hanks of jewel blue, on sale too. Now I must decide what to make with it. Will be looking at all the suggestions on here.

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
All this talk made me so curious. Yesterday I spotted a yarn store while out of town, so I had to take a look. I came out with 2 hanks of jewel blue, on sale too. Now I must decide what to make with it. Will be looking at all the suggestions on here.

Hi'ya Sue! :waving:

I made a perfect length IRISH HIKING SCARF with two skeins last week whilst on vacation.

Posted photos of it HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=64274)along with info about a "bump in the road" that I personally experienced with my two skeins. This "bump" may not occur with other Malabrigo colors. Others have had no issues with color differences. Some have.

sue in canada
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Artlady, I did see your hiking scarf. Looks beautiful but so does all you work. What does the wrong side of the scarf look like? I am wondering if it is knotted or twisted, how it will look. I think that is probably at the top of my list at the moment.

ArtLady1981
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Artlady, I did see your hiking scarf. Looks beautiful but so does all you work. What does the wrong side of the scarf look like? I am wondering if it is knotted or twisted, how it will look. I think that is probably at the top of my list at the moment.

Hi Sue!

My second photo showed the back, too. But, here it is for you! The top is on the left...the underside is to the right. It doesn't look bad at all. It has its own 'design'! Using Malabrigo made the scarf just the right "thickness". I was afraid to do the reversible cable scarf for fear it would be as thick as a board.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2657.jpg

sue in canada
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, I missed that before. I think I have decided to make the Rainy Day scarf then I will also have enough for a pair of mittens to match. I will make the Hiking scarf in another yarn later as I really like the look of the pattern