PDA

View Full Version : Embossed Leaves Socks

tkingny
08-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm getting ready to knit the Mona Schmidt Embossed Leaves sock pattern in Favorite Socks. The pattern states that casting on 64 stitches on a size 2 dpn will result in a finished foot circumference of 7-1/2" inches. My foot circumference is 8-1/2". Have you found this sock to fit well, or is it a little large? I'm wondering whether I should go down to a size 1 dpn.

Silver
08-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I haven't made these socks yet, but if your foot is bigger, you should go up a needle size, not down. Going down a size will make your knitting smaller and tighter.

tkingny
08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks. I realize going down a size will make it smaller. What I was trying to say was that the pattern calls for 8 more stitches than I normally use, which is I why I was concerned that they would be too large. I was wondering whether the socks were somewhat baggy for those who had already knit them as per the pattern.

Vendie
08-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I just checked this project out on Ravelry.com (these socks are on my to-do list) and someone mentioned adding an extra repeat to make the socks bigger. She said it worked like a charm. For reference, she wears a size 12 shoe (she didn't say what the circumference of her foot was) and she used US 1 1/2 (2.5mm) needles.

Jax3303
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I just checked this project out on Ravelry.com (these socks are on my to-do list) and someone mentioned adding an extra repeat to make the socks bigger. She said it worked like a charm. For reference, she wears a size 12 shoe (she didn't say what the circumference of her foot was) and she used US 1 1/2 (2.5mm) needles.

did she add an extra repeat to the circumference of the sock to make it wider, or did she add a pattern repeat to the length of the sock to make it longer?

I have an online friend who made these socks (she wears size 8 shoes) on size 2 needles, and they were really baggy on her (but foot length was fine), so when I made them I used 1 1/2 (2.5mm) dpn's to make them more snug. I wear a 7 shoe and I did as many pattern repeats as per pattern and my socks fit perfectly.

tkingny
08-13-2007, 10:30 AM
did she add an extra repeat to the circumference of the sock to make it wider, or did she add a pattern repeat to the length of the sock to make it longer?

I have an online friend who made these socks (she wears size 8 shoes) on size 2 needles, and they were really baggy on her (but foot length was fine), so when I made them I used 1 1/2 (2.5mm) dpn's to make them more snug. I wear a 7 shoe and I did as many pattern repeats as per pattern and my socks fit perfectly.

Jax3303 - that's EXACTLY what I needed to know -- thanks! I wear a size 7 as well, and I just suspected that they were going to be too baggy knitting that many stitches on a size 2 dpn. I'm going to start them on a smaller needle. Thanks!

Silver
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks. I realize going down a size will make it smaller. What I was trying to say was that the pattern calls for 8 more stitches than I normally use, which is I why I was concerned that they would be too large. I was wondering whether the socks were somewhat baggy for those who had already knit them as per the pattern.
Oopsie! I misunderstood your question. :blush: